Is our legal systems just?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
If it's true that a penniless street rat does not have the same legal defense access as Donald Trump, does that not make our justice system inherently unjust?

Archaeopteryx
The US has the best legal system money can buy

SquallX

BrolyBlack

dadudemon
Originally posted by cdtm
If it's true that a penniless street rat does not have the same legal defense access as Donald Trump, does that not make our justice system inherently unjust?

Yes, the system is broken and it was never the best system. It has always been a "good enough" system.

Here is why:

The best system (assuming AI doesn't exist):

1. Is not a a jury of your peers. Your peers are dumb, emotional, untrained, ignorant, and inappropriate to judge cases.

2. Is a jury of experts who are familiar with your particular type of case.

Why is the best system not possible? Because the best experts in your particular case just won't participate in cases. It takes too long. Too much devotion. So you can't have an expert who would be able to render the best possible decision on your case.

For example, there are thousands of cases out there that are related to digital forensics and cybersecurity. I don't have time to sit on any of those cases. None of them. But I would be a far better jury member than literally anyone else outside of my field.

Also, cases will have complexity and nuance. For example, a proper jury might have a digital forensic expert, a medical doctor/medical examiner, a police officer/detective, and multiple lawyers (not involved in the case). That would be a proper expert jury. And you'd want two experts from each area.

Just not possible.

The alternative is an AI like Watson that can quickly review the cases and make judgments. No need for indictments. But people who are corrupt could feed the AI corrupt information to get a ruling in a specific way.

SquallX
Originally posted by dadudemon
Yes, the system is broken and it was never the best system. It has always been a "good enough" system.

Here is why:

The best system (assuming AI doesn't exist):

1. Is not a a jury of your peers. Your peers are dumb, emotional, untrained, ignorant, and inappropriate to judge cases.

2. Is a jury of experts who are familiar with your particular type of case.

Why is the best system not possible? Because the best experts in your particular case just won't participate in cases. It takes too long. Too much devotion. So you can't have an expert who would be able to render the best possible decision on your case.

For example, there are thousands of cases out there that are related to digital forensics and cybersecurity. I don't have time to sit on any of those cases. None of them. But I would be a far better jury member than literally anyone else outside of my field.

Also, cases will have complexity and nuance. For example, a proper jury might have a digital forensic expert, a medical doctor/medical examiner, a police officer/detective, and multiple lawyers (not involved in the case). That would be a proper expert jury. And you'd want two experts from each area.

Just not possible.

The alternative is an AI like Watson that can quickly review the cases and make judgments. No need for indictments. But people who are corrupt could feed the AI corrupt information to get a ruling in a specific way.

Goddamn triple D, do you want to live in world Matrix style?

Sonuvabitch, this was your game plan all along!

dadudemon
Originally posted by SquallX
Goddamn triple D, do you want to live in world Matrix style?

Sonuvabitch, this was your game plan all along!

I do. I want impartial AI Juries. And robotic detectives that do perfect crime scene investigations.

SquallX

cdtm
Transformers did that. A super computer judge that was infallible, and judged guilt or innocence by looking at a Transformers spark (Their soul). This was eventually discontinued on ethical concerns of having people judged by a non sentient computer. The multitude of Autobots convicted of atrocities was deemed inconvenient as potential Decepticon propaganda, and a black ops team was sent to capture the data and bring it back to HQ, to be either buried until after the war, or destroyed (At grey morality, federal CIA type, Prowls pleasure.)

Surtur
Is it legal for me to own a bear and then to host bear fights in my backyard?

Our legal system becomes just when the answer is "yes".

Robtard
Originally posted by cdtm
If it's true that a penniless street rat does not have the same legal defense access as Donald Trump, does that not make our justice system inherently unjust? Our system is catered to heavily favor the wealthy, so yes, it's unjust.

It still works well many a time though, maybe even most times.

Denmark, Norway, Finland, Sweden and the Nederlands have one up on us.

SquallX

NewGuy01
Originally posted by Archaeopteryx
The US has the best legal system money can buy

laughing out loud

Robtard

SquallX
Originally posted by Robtard
Anyone who consciously chooses to call themselves " ASAP Rocky" is an idiot and probably deserves to be in jail.

Scratching my brain here with that logic.

Equating a stage name with a real name.

So everyone with a stage name now deserves jail time.

dadudemon

cdtm
Easy enough to fix, you simply need to bribe the programmers.

Not too many people will know what to look for, meaning if they're not honest, no one can call them on it. Like with Youtube algorithms.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.