Could Ozymandias lift this?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheVaultDweller
I was kind of curious where people think Ozy's actual strength level is at. It's pretty clear from his striking that it's above that of a normal person, but by how much?

So, the question is simple. Could he lift and carry this chunk of concrete? I picked this because I feel like it's a feat most Super Soldiers could probably replicate without too much trouble, but they're stronger than Ozy IMO, so it should be more of a challenge in that regard at least.

https://i.imgur.com/KZu4Mjv.jpg

You get an idea of the scale by looking at Cage's hand and shoulder at the bottom.

So, could he lift and carry it? I personally wouldn't be surprised if he could, but I think he'd have to put some serious effort in, but I am curious to know what others think.

Adam Grimes
Hell no. Lol.

Nibedicus
I did some short (not precise) math computations (mostly from eyeballing it and filling it in with assumptions) came out to be around 5-6 tons.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Nibedicus
I did some short (not precise) math computations (mostly from eyeballing it and filling it in with assumptions) came out to be around 5-6 tons.

Well, with I tried to make an estimate a while back, based on what I know of the weight of concrete and the size of the piece, and I got a bit less, more in the 4 to 5 ton range. But our estimations don't seem too far apart. Granted, I didn't go into super finite detail. Was mostly also just eyeballing it and using what I know about Mike Colter's height, human body ratios and how much concrete tends to weigh.

TheVaultDweller
Anyway, I was curious about this, because he actually has some fairly impressive strength feats in the fight with the Comedian, like slamming the guy's head into a marble counter hard enough to smash a chunk off, IIRC. And both the tensile and compression strength of marble is pretty damn high. And I imagine throwing an at least 220lbs man hard enough to go through what was bulletproof glass IIRC would require you to generate a significant amount of force. But he doesn't really have any actual decent pure lifting feats, so it leaves some grey areas.

KingD19
He might be able to lift a corner with all his strength cor a few seconds. But I dont see him getting it off the ground, much less carrying it around anywhere.

Silent Master
No

ShadowFyre
Where are yall getting this 5 ton?

TheVaultDweller
Number I got was closer to 4 IIRC, but it was a while back when I actually had a full clip of the feat and could see both sides of the piece. Unfortunately, all I still have now is that pic. Might still be a link to it (the vid) in some old thread, but I am way too lazy to bother looking.

ShadowFyre
Its all good. I will look it up later. I was just curious. I personally think that it looks lighter than that but I don't really know.

Anyway, I think he could with some difficulty.

TheVaultDweller
Well, according to different sites, the density of concrete is 2,400 kg per cubic meter. And, IIRC, the other side of that chunk had more to it, which is why he was gripping it on that side and letting the bit that narrows hang over his shoulder. But yeah, I made very rough estimations at the time and the number that eventually got spat out was like 3,700 and something kilograms or around there (sorry, my memory has been really shit recently and this was a few months ago that I did this), which is a bit over 4 US tons, IIRC.

ShadowFyre
Well damn. Thats a couple cars right there

TheVaultDweller
Well, according to Bobby Fish, one of Luke's closest friends, he can "throw a Volkswagen." They never had the budget to have him actually do that onscreen though. All their budget went to filming in New York. laughing (I'm kinda not kidding. That was apparently a big budget issue with those shows.)
Closest was stopping an SUV by ramming it with his shoulder and making a sedan spin around with a kick, as well as carrying/breaking prop heavy concrete and metal objects.

Wish I could double check though. Unfortunately, that specific lifting feat happened mid-conversation (not even kidding), so it's not part of the kind of clip that gets posted to Youtube and the like, as those are normally the full action/fight scenes. Or if it is, I can't find it now.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by ShadowFyre
Well damn. Thats a couple cars right there

Anyway, what about the OP question? stick out tongue

BrolyBlack
He tosses it to the moon

TheVaultDweller
Interesting thing though about how it's potentially a couple of cars. Cars often look heavier because of their size. But they are actually a lot of empty space (spaces around the wheels, suspension, trunk, driver and passenger compartments etc.), whereas things like concrete are solid. But if you remove those spaces with, say, a car compactor, and then they suddenly don't look all that big:

https://img.directindustry.com/images_di/photo-g/109421-8320616.jpg

BrolyBlack
Ozy was punching people across the room with ease, Luke as far as I know never tossed anyone 30-40 feet on a regular basis.

So how do we gauge Ozys strength

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by BrolyBlack
Ozy was punching people across the room with ease, Luke as far as I know never tossed anyone 30-40 feet on a regular basis.

Luke's tossed things much heavier than a person further than 30-40 feet and often sends opponents flying all over the place.

And if someone less lazy than me wants to see how much it takes to send a fully grown man through bulletproof glass, it could give us a decent benchmark.

BrolyBlack

TheVaultDweller
Again, so has Luke. And plenty of Ozy's hits didn't send people flying either, even though some did. And Luke holds back most of the time, which has explicitly been mentioned more than once onscreen. I mean the guy can knock people out just by tapping them on the head, so he only really ragdolls people when showing off or angry. And when he does, he can send them very far. So, that's not a great comparison for measurement.

As I mentioned, it's better to use things we can try to attach quantifiable numbers to.

h1a8
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
I was kind of curious where people think Ozy's actual strength level is at. It's pretty clear from his striking that it's above that of a normal person, but by how much?

So, the question is simple. Could he lift and carry this chunk of concrete? I picked this because I feel like it's a feat most Super Soldiers could probably replicate without too much trouble, but they're stronger than Ozy IMO, so it should be more of a challenge in that regard at least.

You get an idea of the scale by looking at Cage's hand and shoulder at the bottom.

So, could he lift and carry it? I personally wouldn't be surprised if he could, but I think he'd have to put some serious effort in, but I am curious to know what others think.

Well you would have to scale it off his other feats.
Off the top of my head.
1. Picking up a 230-260lb person and throwing him through a skyscraper window.
2. Jumping over 30ft away from a standstill
3. Crushing a laser gun with his feat
4. Kicking Rorschach more than 15 ft away

If the concrete weighs between 2-4 tons then yes, between 4-6 tons then I'm not sure, and over 7 tons then mostly likely no.

h1a8
Most certainly Luke is stronger than Ozy. That's not a question. The gun bend takes more force than lifting the concrete. And Luke did that effortlessly.

TheVaultDweller
Nah, this is not a strength comparison. The point of the thread is more to get an idea of where Ozy's lifting strength level is, given that a lot of his strength feats are striking-related.

Surtur
I'd say no he can't lift it, but I guess having a calculation on how much force it would take to throw someone threw bullet proof glass is needed before being sure.

TheVaultDweller
Anyone still own Watchmen on DVD? lol

I think they actually go into a bit of detail about the type of glass in a scene where the police, CSIs etc. are looking through Comedian's apartment, but I can't remember the specifics of what they said.

dadudemon
Ozy seems around 1/2 Luke's strength, based on feats.

He might be able to pull off 1-2 tons.

ShadowFyre
A person that could lift 2000 lbs and was faster and agile than the top athlete would be pretty crazy to see them actually fight a regular human.

TheVaultDweller
And it would probably also be extremely brief. Seriously, if Ozy existed and hit a normal person as hard as he hit some of the people in the film, he'd outright kill them.

TheVaultDweller
I can't imagine this going well for any real life person:

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11113/111136785/6768407-giphy.gif

BruceSkywalker

looks like 10 tons, but im guessing as i have no idea on how to calculate that stuff, anyways Ozy can prolly lift a 1/4 of that and nothing more

tkitna
Originally posted by BrolyBlack

Is this good enough

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11/117031/6410283-tire%20throw.gif

dadudemon
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
looks like 10 tons, but im guessing as i have no idea on how to calculate that stuff, anyways Ozy can prolly lift a 1/4 of that and nothing more

That concrete looks to be a bit less than 1 cubic meter.

https://www.traditionaloven.com/conversions_of_measures/concrete-weight.html

It's around 2-3 tons.

BruceSkywalker
thanks

John Murdoch
I can't imagine this going well for any real life person:

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11113/111136785/6768407-giphy.gif

Ya a real person would be dead nigh-instantly. High-end on both Ozy's end with the kicking power and Rorschach's end with not getting his skull, spine, neck, and face obliterated.

As for the lifting feat, I would say negative, but maybe slice that thing into a half or a third and he could manage. Maybe a fourth.

Inhuman
Nope

Robtard
That block isn't a full block, it's missing rather large chucks. I'd say 1.5 to 2 tons max.

Ozzy should be able to lift** it with great difficulty as he clearly superhuman going by what we've seen him do, especially if his upper-body strength is comparable to his lower-body.

**That's lifting it, I doubt he could walk around with it like Luke did.

TheVaultDweller
So, I see a couple of estimates putting Ozy's lifting strength somewhere between 1 and 2 tons from a few of people, which is the aim of this thread. Is that about right, in terms of a number for Ozy, or are there any objections?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.