Age Reversal Trial successful

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BrolyBlack
2.5 years taken off participant

dadudemon
Awesome.

Another 10 more of these findings and we may reduce/reverse aging faster than aging occurs. That's the goal.

Surtur
Nice.

Putinbot1
HgH certainly is effective in my opinion on it's own. I use it 6 months on 3 months off.

Mindship
Seems promising ... but my spider-sense is tingling.

Surtur
2.5 years, would a 9 month old baby die if you did this to it?

Wonder Man
Adapative mind cognition works eaiser than chewing asprin.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Surtur
2.5 years, would a 9 month old baby die if you did this to it? no, really this is in many ways about extending the telomere which sends a signal as to how a cell should behave. Think of a telomere as a fuse. Every cell division it burns down, this seems to be more than a clock or cosmetic it actually seems to age processes, by extending it you hit a reset. I assume you can extend beyond the initial birth point but it won't push the body back into the developmental cycle, which has also been in the news lately, as the molecular development of a worm embryo has recently been developmentally mapped via transcription and cell order. This truly is promethium, fire from the gods on steroids shit tbh.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Putinbot1
no, really this is in many ways about extending the telomere which sends a signal as to how a cell should behave. Think of a telomere as a fuse. Every cell division it burns down, this seems to be more than a clock or cosmetic it actually seems to age processes, by extending it you hit a reset. I assume you can extend beyond the initial birth point but it won't push the body back into the developmental cycle, which has also been in the news lately, as the molecular development of a worm embryo has recently been developmentally mapped via transcription and cell order. This truly is promethium, fire from the gods on steroids shit tbh.

Very good write-up on Telomeres.

I'll definitely steal your "fuse" example when I explain it it again, in the future.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by dadudemon
Very good write-up on Telomeres.

I'll definitely steal your "fuse" example when I explain it it again, in the future. they truly are fascinating, what with this and the removal of Zombie cells and the affect this has on things like arthritis we are moving into the realms of repair and not just life extension. My father is 91 but his standard of life is not great as many things do not function as they should, but 91 functioning as a newly retired 65 year old I could go for.

samhain
Last time I did any reading on this subject they were still pissing about with free radicals. I remember hearing the theory somewhere that the first person to live to be 150 years old has likely already been born, could be a bunch of them walking around with this new research.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by samhain
Last time I did any reading on this subject they were still pissing about with free radicals. I remember hearing the theory somewhere that the first person to live to be 150 years old has likely already been born, could be a bunch of them walking around with this new research. if we don't ruin ourselves through other things, the first millennial to exist a millennium from now is here Sam. Be it through a "soul catcher" either biological or technological or by repair. The echo of someone will be here a thousand years from now.

samhain
^Interesting. Although it could be argued that has always been the case, like you know... Jesus. In all seriousness though, looks like I'm going to have to do some catching up with how far we've come with our 'Playing At God' science.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by samhain
^Interesting. Although it could be argued that has always been the case, like you know... Jesus. In all seriousness though, looks like I'm going to have to do some catching up with how far we've come with our 'Playing At God' science. they've just discovered a large chunk of the physical and chemical nature of memory. This is almost as interesting in terms of the possibility of recording and perhaps one day reimprining the memories of a dead person on a living clone. Imagine if we had Davinci or Newtons life and memories to re-imprint on a cloned body of them. Crazy stuff Sam.

Robtard
Awesome.

Another 10 more of these findings and we may reduce/reverse aging faster than aging occurs. That's the goal.

The rich/powerful will be effectively immortal. What could do wrong.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Robtard
The rich/powerful will be effectively immortal. What could do wrong. sadly this is it, all those fans of warhammer will look for God Emperor Trump.

Wonder Man
Isn't it just botox and implants

dadudemon
The rich/powerful will be effectively immortal. What could do wrong.

Then we will have "Meths." "Methuselah" people: all the very old people that are constantly being rejuvinated and are practically immortal.

Watch the show Altered Carbon. Very interesting take on the future. Obviously, it makes the same mistake all Sci-Fi makes: no AI singularity.

Putinbot1
I always wonder about Vernor Vinge and the Singularity tbh DDM. I just don't know if it will ever happen with a machine that is not biological.

Robtard
That will then lead to the rise of the mentats, after the Butlerian Jihad of course stick out tongue

Putinbot1
That will then lead to the rise of the mentats, after the Butlerian Jihad of course stick out tongue Better yet we get Culture minds rather than Ultron. I hated the Dune prequels tbh.

Bashar Teg
*whooosh*

we talking about dune in here?

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
*whooosh*

we talking about dune in here? a little, prequels were shit.

dadudemon
I always wonder about Vernor Vinge and the Singularity tbh DDM. I just don't know if it will ever happen with a machine that is not biological.

AI intelligent enough to self improve at a tangible and meaningful level will be able to improve itself at a pace far faster than humans will be able to comprehend.

Scarily, we are very close to this happening, already. It is happening faster than predicted.

"Organics" are inferior and crude compared to the precision and speed of machines. It's going to suck majorly when we are replaced - we are terribly squishy meatbags who are terrible at processing information.

Putinbot1
You say that DDM but, till a machine actually has independent thought, dreams and has non logical intuitive jumps, it's all just theory. Biology is squishy meatballs no doubt, that are made of a far more complex elemental subset than any computer, that is able to carry out a myriad of more varied and complex tasks than any machine. When a machine, can hit a great t shot down the fairway, become distracted by movement in the rough, lose his temper on the next shot, talk to his broker as he puts on the green and remember he has a Mars bar in his bag and taste all the different flavours present, at the same time wonder if his wife remembered to ring the plumber, you will make a believer of me.

Robtard
Forget where I read it, some computer/tech article I'm sure. But it stated that when Moore's law hit's a wall and it should with given technology as transistors can only get so small (unless some new breakthrough happens), that a biological based computer modeled around the human brain will be the big next step.

Bashar Teg
a little, prequels were shit.

there were dune prequels?

Robtard
there were dune prequels?

By Herbert's son and another author: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_prequel_series#Legends_of_Dune

dadudemon
You say that DDM but, till a machine actually has independent thought, dreams and has non logical intuitive jumps, it's all just theory. Biology is squishy meatballs no doubt, that are made of a far more complex elemental subset than any computer, that is able to carry out a myriad of more varied and complex tasks than any machine. When a machine, can hit a great t shot down the fairway, become distracted by movement in the rough, lose his temper on the next shot, talk to his broker as he puts on the green and remember he has a Mars bar in his bag and taste all the different flavours present, at the same time wonder if his wife remembered to ring the plumber, you will make a believer of me.

Here is a breakdown of the research into when experts think it will happen:

https://emerj.com/ai-future-outlook/when-will-we-reach-the-singularity-a-timeline-consensus-from-ai-researchers/

Also, there is still the possibility that it will happen with a miracle algorithm (likely not) similar to Google's search algorithm. IBM's Watson was created partially to prove that some Joe in his or her garage would not be able to create something like Watson with a fraction of the budget.

dadudemon
Forget where I read it, some computer/tech article I'm sure. But it stated that when Moore's law hit's a wall and it should with given technology as transistors can only get so small (unless some new breakthrough happens), that a biological based computer modeled around the human brain will be the big next step.

Sounds like memristors and I wrote a white paper on that a few years back including outlining algorithms for propposed computing architecture that uses memristor lattices.

I stole the idea for architecture from Virtual Machines with how they create logical machines with a hardware abstraction layer - same thing with Memristors

It's not really like a biological brain, though. That's just pop-sci stuff people say to get clicks. Here's one such paper - but it is not like biological neural networks:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0893608014000227

Putinbot1
Sounds like memristors and I wrote a white paper on that a few years back including outlining algorithms for propposed computing architecture that uses memristor lattices.

I stole the idea for architecture from Virtual Machines with how they create logical machines with a hardware abstraction layer - same thing with Memristors

It's not really like a biological brain, though. That's just pop-sci stuff people say to get clicks. Here's one such paper - but it is not like biological neural networks:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0893608014000227 fact DDM different experts have different opinions as to when and how it will happen, ranging from never to very soon. This may shock you over a decade ago neurons were used from a rat as a binary computer. The thing is even then we knew that's not how a brain works. Interestingly recent studies show the chemical components of neurons and the brains architecture itself work together. Of course the code in protein synthesis and the activity inside a single cell are far more beautiful and insane when visualized than any system based purely on quantum dots and silicon.

Robtard
@ddm IIRC, it wasn't so much as a super-brain grown in a vat used as a computer. More-so that technology would be molded around the brain/how it works. But there was some biological aspect of sorts.

When I read the article, I thought of Data's positronic brain, even though Star Trek borrowed that idea from Asimov.

Putinbot1
there were dune prequels? haha exactly, best forgotten. Herbert's son wrote them allegedly based on Frank's notes as if you weren't aware. Tsk!

Robtard
haha exactly, best forgotten. Herbert's son wrote them allegedly based on Frank's notes as if you weren't aware. Tsk!

I think you just became KMC's foremost Dune expert. The Sleeper has awakened! stick out tongue

Putinbot1
One of the reasons I used to detest a lot of neuroscience is they looked at the brain mechanically, forgetting it is far more about chemically generated energy and volatile short lived chemistry than structure, fortunately this is changing.

Putinbot1
I think you just became KMC's foremost Dune expert. The Sleeper has awakened! stick out tongue haha Bash I'm sure is being sarcastic and suggesting they are best forgotten, which is true.

Putinbot1
Isn't it nice being in a thread where only polite conversation is taking place for a change?

Bashar Teg
haha exactly, best forgotten. Herbert's son wrote them allegedly based on Frank's notes as if you weren't aware. Tsk!

All I know is that he made a bunch of shitty dune books. Didn't know that he also whored his father's legacy with prequels

Robtard
Isn't it nice being in a thread where only polite conversation is taking place for a change?

It's what I always seek on KMC.

dadudemon
fact DDM different experts have different opinions as to when and how it will happen, ranging from never to very soon. This may shock you over a decade ago neurons were used from a rat as a binary computer. The thing is even then we knew that's not how a brain works. Interestingly recent studies show the chemical components of neurons and the brains architecture itself work together. Of course the code in protein synthesis and the activity inside a single cell are far more beautiful and insane when visualized than any system based purely on quantum dots and silicon.

Yup, 21% believe the singularity will never happen.

Surtur

Indeed, so think twice about any passive aggressive threads in the future thumb up

Robtard
Surt, can you please not try and pick a fight in this thread? Thanks in advance.

Surtur
I'll do what I please kiddo. Gotta teach PB self awareness. He of course could have refrained from his comment and kept everything on topic, but you guys can never resist smile

And I'll note his comment was off topic, how'd you respond?

Btw: you can ignore this comment as well, it is within your capabilities.

Robtard
You edited in more rage 3-4 times in the first 2-3 mins, I'm assuming it's okay to reply now and you're finally done editing.

Yes, my post which oddly set you off was a request; not some demand. Hence my use of the word "please", Surt.

Surtur
You edited in more rage 3-4 times in the first 2-3 mins, I'm assuming it's okay to reply now and you're finally done editing.

Yes, my post which oddly set you off was a request; not some demand. Hence my use of the word "please", Surt.

^Yikes, do better.

And isn't keeping track of how many times someone edits...obsessive?

Spin baby spin smile

Robtard
Since Whirly isn't here to see your rage/bait, it seems you're now actively trying to pick a fight with me. Good luck; have fun.

Surtur
You're not having the best day. Log off, Whirly will come cuck for you on the morrow.

Putinbot1
All I know is that he made a bunch of shitty dune books. Didn't know that he also whored his father's legacy with prequels they were sequels and prequels, I read 1 and a half in disgust. Horrible books

It's what I always seek on KMC.

Me too Rob thumb up

Yup, 21% believe the singularity will never happen. So DDM why do you think that a computer can make the leap and became conscious.

I can see the speed thing where any answer can be calculated instantly, but awareness? Why?

Surtur
If it's what you always seek you have a weird way of showing it smile

BrolyBlack
Surt gtfo out of here with your drama.

BrolyBlack
Thread reported for derailment. Hopefully a mod will get this back on track, and yes Surt I reported you, you are being fcking ridiculous for no reason. Go **** up someone else’s thread.

dadudemon
So DDM why do you think that a computer can make the leap and became conscious.

Because computers are getting better and better at doing exactly that.

We can program computers to be smarter than most animals, now. The march goes on as decision making becomes more and more intuitive with less and less code.

Likely, we've already developed a program that accomplishes what you think but we don't know it, yet.

I can see the speed thing where any answer can be calculated instantly, but awareness? Why?

Awareness, as you are calling it, is an easy thing to program.

I think you mean sapience.

Putinbot1
Because computers are getting better and better at doing exactly that.

We can program computers to be smarter than most animals, now. The march goes on as decision making becomes more and more intuitive with less and less code.

Likely, we've already developed a program that accomplishes what you think but we don't know it, yet.

Awareness, as you are calling it, is an easy thing to program.

I think you mean sapience. no, I don't mean wisdom, I mean self awareness in the sense a human is aware it exists. I mean in truth computers even AI's know nothing. We could get metaphysical here, but let's not, tbh DDM, it's also about application and understanding of where a computer is in the world... plugged in and next to the off button.

dadudemon
no, I don't mean wisdom, I mean self awareness in the sense a human is aware it exists. I mean in truth computers even AI's know nothing. We could get metaphysical here, but let's not, tbh DDM, it's also about application and understanding of where a computer is in the world... plugged in and next to the off button.

Yes, computers can easily be aware. That's easy to do. You mean sapience, not self-awareness. Self-awareness is one of the easier things to do with AI. Linguistics is one of the hardest - among the very hardest, in fact.

What you want is a computer that is as intelligent as the average human in all the ways that makes us human. Reality is, we have computers that are far more intelligent than humans in multiple ways and far dumber than humans in other ways. You want AGI. And AGI probably exists already but we are not aware that we created it. It just slowly self-improves. The threshold is improving at a rate we cannot keep up or understand.

Putinbot1
Yes, computers can easily be aware. That's easy to do. You mean sapience, not self-awareness. Self-awareness is one of the easier things to do with AI. Linguistics is one of the hardest - among the very hardest, in fact.

What you want is a computer that is as intelligent as the average human in all the ways that makes us human. Reality is, we have computers that are far more intelligent than humans in multiple ways and far dumber than humans in other ways. You want AGI. And AGI probably exists already but we are not aware that we created it. It just slowly self-improves. The threshold is improving at a rate we cannot keep up or understand. When Self-Aware Computers Sense Human Life. ... This state of being has been called the point of self-awareness, the point of Artificial Consciousness (AC) or Machine Consciousness (MC) and even Synthetic Consciousness (SC).Jan 7, 2016

I mean self awareness...

Which they aren't in the sense I mean it.

I'm not going to disagree on intelligence. However despite this, they still "know" nothing mate.

dadudemon
When Self-Aware Computers Sense Human Life. ... This state of being has been called the point of self-awareness, the point of Artificial Consciousness (AC) or Machine Consciousness (MC) and even Synthetic Consciousness (SC).Jan 7, 2016

I mean self awareness...

No, you mean sapience, not self-awareness. Again, self-awareness is easy to program. If your threshold was just self-awareness, then we've solved all the things.

Robtard
Originally posted by BrolyBlack
Thread reported for derailment. Hopefully a mod will get this back on track, and yes Surt I reported you, you are being fcking ridiculous for no reason. Go **** up someone else’s thread.
thumb up

Robtard

What you want is a computer that is as intelligent as the average human in all the ways that makes us human. Reality is, we have computers that are far more intelligent than humans in multiple ways and far dumber than humans in other ways. You want AGI. And AGI probably exists already but we are not aware that we created it. It just slowly self-improves. The threshold is improving at a rate we cannot keep up or understand.

As somehow who I'm assuming believes in the soul. How do you work that in with computers becoming sentient?

More of a philosophic talk here.

Surtur

And you reported the thread for discussions about Dune and shit too, correct?

Cuz I gotta inform you: this thread wasn't about Dune either.

Be consistent.

Robtard
No one was picking a fight over Dune. It was a friendly and short diversion from the topic, Surt.

Surtur
No one was picking a fight over Dune. It was a friendly and short diversion from the topic, Surt.

A thread derailment is a thread derailment. It's either okay or it's not.

EDIT: Topic isn't about AI either, come to think of it.

Robtard
The gripe is you trying to create drama in a drama-free thread. Anyhow, as yesterday, I'll leave you to that.

Wonder Man
I used to be old till a judge made me young. Are you sure you want your youth enforced. Either from a young age or as an older person.
Freedom is better.

Surtur
The gripe is you trying to create drama in a drama-free thread. Anyhow, as yesterday, I'll leave you to that.

No rule against that, nor is there some rule that says certain kinds of thread derailments are okay while others are not.

Talk of Dune, AI, etc. was all thread derailment.

dadudemon
As somehow who I'm assuming believes in the soul. How do you work that in with computers becoming sentient?

More of a philosophic talk here.

You're asking the wrong theist.

Remember, I'm Mormon. And we believe that all of us can become gods one day with enough righteousness.

Also, Mormons believe in free-agency at maximums levels. So if we preach the Word to a sapient AI and it wants to be baptized, it probably has a soul.

Also, we believe the soul is metaphysical.

Surtur
Well if we all become gods none of us are gods.

Being a god would be lame as hell if everyone else was too.

dadudemon
Well if we all become gods none of us are gods.

Being a god would be lame as hell if everyone else was too.

Which is why godhood is not for you: you're too immature. You still think like a toddler. "If I can't have ice cream, no one gets icre cream! Two scoops for me! One for everyone else!"

Being a benevolent creator god of your own universe hardly matters compared to other gods doing the same.

Wonder Man
Obedience is the easy one to accept.
Watch society abuse it as you are controlled.

Surtur
Which is why godhood is not for you: you're too immature. You still think like a toddler. "If I can't have ice cream, no one gets icre cream! Two scoops for me! One for everyone else!"

Being a benevolent creator god of your own universe hardly matters compared to other gods doing the same.

Time to un-rustle those jimmies, I was imagining a scenario where we're all in the same universe smile

Wonder Man
Maybe your head is a little big.

Robtard
You're asking the wrong theist.

Remember, I'm Mormon. And we believe that all of us can become gods one day with enough righteousness.

Also, Mormons believe in free-agency at maximums levels. So if we preach the Word to a sapient AI and it wants to be baptized, it probably has a soul.

Also, we believe the soul is metaphysical.

I wanted the Mormon POV on this, why I asked you. To bad Shaky is no longer with us. Could get a conservative Buddhist POV on the machine-with-a-soul question.

I had an image of Mormons baptizing a willing Skynet.

dadudemon
Time to un-rustle those jimmies, I was imagining a scenario where we're all in the same universe smile

No.

You can to make your own universe with ice cream scoop limits and no trannies (both kinds).

Surtur
Though it would probably end in disaster 99% of the time to give any human being godlike power.

Putinbot1
No DDM, I definately mean self aware.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adrianbridgwater/2016/01/07/when-self-aware-computers-sense-human-life/

x
The expression “Skynet has become self-aware” is still science fiction, for now : Olea Sensor Networks
The term you will hear used increasingly is Life Presence Detection (LPD), the expression “Skynet has become self-aware” is still science fiction, for now — Image Credit: Olea Sensor Networks
Science fiction is fond of talking about the point at which computers might become what we call ‘self-aware’. This is the precipice beyond which machines start to use their Artificial Intelligence (AI) capabilities to understand they do in fact exist as ‘things’ in and of themselves.

This state of being has been called the point of self-awareness, the point of Artificial Consciousness (AC) or Machine Consciousness (MC) and even Synthetic Consciousness (SC). As already reported here on Forbes, professor Stephen Hawking has his own term for the point at which computers begin evolving themselves at super-human speeds — he calls it ‘the singularity’.

The notion here is that although computers will only ever initially know what the software application developers who have built them have allowed them to know… the machines have used the AI capabilities they have been empowered with to extend their own remits for existence.

Could we program against this? Theoretically yes. Could the computers out-evolve our own software programming controls and make the leap unto the unknown? Again, theoretically yes.

What is self-awareness?

According to cognitive, perceptual and brain sciences specialist Rich Cook, “We are obviously self-aware, we know that we exist and are aware of our surroundings and what is happening around us. Does a computer? The answer again has to be no. As we have already described, computers do not ‘know’ anything, so they obviously cannot know that they exist, they cannot posses self-awareness. So what would it take to make a computer self-aware? Some would argue that it is simply a matter of complexity, that when computers reach a certain level of complexity they will become self-aware. If it is simply a matter of complexity, after all the human brain is nothing more than a very complex processor that uses electrochemical reactions rather than just electrical, then the day will surely come.”

But is that all it is?

I've also heard the argument that simulcrum consciousness is true consciousness. Like the majority of people, I dispute this

Surtur
Best believe it: some "I have no mouth and I must scream" type shit probably awaits us.

Remember Surt warned you all. You won't even be able to say "you were right Surt" cuz you won't even have a mouth.

BrolyBlack

BrolyBlack
HgH certainly is effective in my opinion on it's own. I use it 6 months on 3 months off.

Certainly has to be good stuff if good quality. I don’t know how much it actually reversed the biological clock, has there been any studies?

dadudemon
No DDM, I definately mean self aware.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adrianbridgwater/2016/01/07/when-self-aware-computers-sense-human-life/

x
The expression “Skynet has become self-aware” is still science fiction, for now : Olea Sensor Networks
The term you will hear used increasingly is Life Presence Detection (LPD), the expression “Skynet has become self-aware” is still science fiction, for now — Image Credit: Olea Sensor Networks
Science fiction is fond of talking about the point at which computers might become what we call ‘self-aware’. This is the precipice beyond which machines start to use their Artificial Intelligence (AI) capabilities to understand they do in fact exist as ‘things’ in and of themselves.

This state of being has been called the point of self-awareness, the point of Artificial Consciousness (AC) or Machine Consciousness (MC) and even Synthetic Consciousness (SC). As already reported here on Forbes, professor Stephen Hawking has his own term for the point at which computers begin evolving themselves at super-human speeds — he calls it ‘the singularity’.

The notion here is that although computers will only ever initially know what the software application developers who have built them have allowed them to know… the machines have used the AI capabilities they have been empowered with to extend their own remits for existence.

No you don't, you mean sapience. Specifically, you mean AGI. If you meant self-aware, we accomplished this over 10 years ago. I highly doubt this is what you mean.

Putinbot1
No you don't, you mean sapience. Specifically, you mean AGI. If you meant self-aware, we accomplished this over 10 years ago. I highly doubt this is what you mean. we're going to disagree on this DDM because what you call self aware, I call simulcrum self awareness and it really relies on how you see self awareness as the above article explains. You're clearly a believer programmed self awareness is the same as a human understanding its place in the Universe (well that's also subjective for many too, but you know what I mean. A lot of people as in the above article disagree a machine can do this in any way, as do I.

Surtur
Let us say we perfect this, would society truly be benefited if nobody could die from old age?

Surtur
I think about murder. I don't think a murderer should ever be allowed to gain their freedom. Well, I think they should be executed, but if not...life in prison. And if we perfect this, a murderer isn't just robbing someone of a few decades of life they are robbing them of potentially thousands of years.

So would we keep a murderer in prison literally forever?

I am reminded of the twilight zone ep where the guy becomes immortal. Then he murders someone cuz he is eager to experience the electric chair, but he gets life in prison instead. Then he gives up his immortality cuz he doesn't wanna be in prison forever.

dadudemon
we're going to disagree on this DDM because what you call self aware, I call simulcrum self awareness and it really relies on how you see self awareness as the above article explains. You're clearly a believer programmed self awareness is the same as a human understanding its place in the Universe (well that's also subjective for many too, but you know what I mean. A lot of people as in the above article disagree a machine can do this in any way, as do I.

Sounds like you want it to mean "wise, like a human" instead of what it actually is.

You want AGI or human-like sapience.

BrolyBlack
Let us say we perfect this, would society truly be benefited if nobody could die from old age?

That is really the ultimate goal to live forever young. I would love to see if its possible to live past 120 years. What is one day 120 years was like 50 years olf today and then you still had 80 more years. Life is so short now, doubling lifespan is a huge idea.

Bashar Teg

Surtur
this, from YOU? you're just going to eventually become unhinged and revert to targeting/fixating/slandering/stalking/threatening people, so i don't get why you're preaching to surt...unless this is some quasi-machiavellian 4d chess move.

Dude let it go, what you described is the *same* thing Putinbot does, every few months he pretends like he's done trolling and is above it all and he always reverts back. Always. This is a road you do not want to go down.

Let it go.

Surtur
That is really the ultimate goal to live forever young. I would love to see if its possible to live past 120 years. What is one day 120 years was like 50 years olf today and then you still had 80 more years. Life is so short now, doubling lifespan is a huge idea.

Yeah, but if we're forever young we'd eventually run into population problems. Sure it would take a long long time, but it would happen. The only question is if we could achieve the ability to go and live on other planets before it does.

Putinbot1
Dude let it go, what you described is the *same* thing Putinbot does, every few months he pretends like he's done trolling and is above it all and he always reverts back. Always. This is a road you do not want to go down.

Let it go. Not every thread has to be about me Surt.

Anyway Broly is a good guy and is just making a good choice staying out of arguments. I've done the same myself, you are quite right there.

Putinbot1
Sounds like you want it to mean "wise, like a human" instead of what it actually is.

You want AGI or human-like sapience. I just don't see a simulcrum.as anything but mimicry in the way a parrot mimics speech.

Mindship
Let us say we perfect this, would society truly be benefited if nobody could die from old age? I suspect a whole new host of problems will emerge just trying to perfect it. Life excels at, betcha didn't see that coming.

Man plans, God laughs.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Mindship
I suspect a whole new host of problems will emerge just trying to perfect it. Life excels at, betcha didn't see that coming.

Man plans, God laughs. an interesting problem.put to a personal hero of mine craig ventner in a discussion at Harvard was "Why hasn't knowing the genome led to curing more diseases?" The answer is the level of redundancy in DNA meaning more than one set of Gene's can lead to the same disorder. I wonder if extending histones is a full or partial reset of the degradation of transcription which leads to many disorders?

Mindship
an interesting problem.put to a personal hero of mine craig ventner in a discussion at Harvard was "Why hasn't knowing the genome led to curing more diseases?" The answer is the level of redundancy in DNA meaning more than one set of Gene's can lead to the same disorder. I wonder if extending histones is a full or partial reset of the degradation of transcription which leads to many disorders? I don't doubt, in time, that we will have answers to a lot of these questions. But as we've often heard scientists say, we went looking for answers and ended up with lots more questions.

Science can achieve some wonderful, incredible things. Hell, as a scifi writer, I love imagining what we might one day achieve or discover. But life/nature/reality is vast beyond logic and perception. I guess this is why we have incompleteness theorems, uncertainty principles, and (if one is so inclined) limits even to spiritual transcendence.

cdtm
I suspect a whole new host of problems will emerge just trying to perfect it. Life excels at, betcha didn't see that coming.

Man plans, God laughs.

Just as happens in the drug industry.

Unforeseen problems are pretty much guaranteed in something this complex. Who could they even get to sign on for clinical trials..? With my experiences with unforeseen drug interactions (Being unable to sleep for nearly two weeks was the worst moments of my life), I'd be too afraid to be a human Guinea pig.

Surtur

Man plans, God laughs.

Yeah we'll probably accidentally create some zombies along the way.

#WorthIt

Surtur
Originally posted by cdtm
Unforeseen problems are pretty much guaranteed in something this complex. Who could they even get to sign on for clinical trials..? With my experiences with unforeseen drug interactions (Being unable to sleep for nearly two weeks was the worst moments of my life), I'd be too afraid to be a human Guinea pig.

How old are you? I'd guess one of the reasons you'd be afraid is because you really aren't in need of any age reversal right now. On the other hand I could easily see people in their 60s,70s, and 80s choosing to do a clinical trial with this.

And you've done a clinical trial before and it caused you not to sleep for nearly 2 weeks? I actually experienced something like that myself, but it wasn't at a clinical trial it was a side effect of medications after a surgery.

Mindship
Originally posted by cdtm
Just as happens in the drug industry.

Unforeseen problems are pretty much guaranteed in something this complex. Exactly. And for the sake of argument, even if we did achieve immortality (or at least life spans measured in the thousands of years), this in itself may well be seriously problematic. Eg, do we keep reproducing, or do we just improve the existing models? Also, unless we become a true interstellar species (and perhaps even if that), what about our consumption of resources?

And here's perhaps the most insidious thing: Human beings fear death. Immortality is the ultimate remedy. It is absolute power, and such power corrupts absolutely.

Perhaps we should be careful what we wish for.

Surtur
They better figure out a way to do this with animals too. I want my forever puppy god dammit.

dadudemon
I just don't see a simulcrum.as anything but mimicry in the way a parrot mimics speech.

Parrots understand speech, though:

http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatbirdblog/2011/06/10/do-parrots-understand-what-they-say-yes-according-to-a-new-study/#.XXnSG-hKiUk

And some of the AI tools we've created understand speech far better than parrots. So much so that they are better than many functioning adults (because they have massive databases from which to pull information and make cross-references and inferences).

The issue is your bias for meatbags and bias against AI/machines. We are just machines running genetic code. Perhaps there's a dash of soul in our fleshy machines that truly differentiates us but that line is getting blurrier and blurrier as the understand the material world around.

Putinbot1
Parrots understand speech, though:

http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatbirdblog/2011/06/10/do-parrots-understand-what-they-say-yes-according-to-a-new-study/#.XXnSG-hKiUk

And some of the AI tools we've created understand speech far better than parrots. So much so that they are better than many functioning adults (because they have massive databases from which to pull information and make cross-references and inferences).

The issue is your bias for meatbags and bias against AI/machines. We are just machines running genetic code. Perhaps there's a dash of soul in our fleshy machines that truly differentiates us but that line is getting blurrier and blurrier as the understand the material world around. DDM please, I'm sure Parrot owners believe their animal understands them.

dadudemon
DDM please, I'm sure Parrot owners believe their animal understands them.

You're not supposed to make your trolling this obvious.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.