Jurassic World Dominion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ridley_Prime
Life uh, finds a way.

https://twitter.com/jurassicworld/status/1176728445293719552?s=21

https://deadline.com/2019/09/jurassic-world-3-laura-dern-sam-neill-jeff-goldblum-reprise-jurassic-park-roles-1202744117/

Didn't think I'd see it, but am glad they got not only Goldblum, but Sam Neill and Laura Dern back as well to reprise their roles, though after Jeff Goldblum and what little presence he had in the last film after teasing him, I won't expect too much, but it at least bodes well for something potentially good, even if Chris Pratt is still the main character of the series.

Please have Blue again. Best dino aside from the OG T-Rex.

Kazenji
Anyone see that short film that made?

'Battle at Big Rock' was the name of it.

Patient_Leech
Here's to hoping this one won't suck like the last one.

It's hard to put my finger on, but for some reason Fallen Kingdom just didn't sit well with me. I liked it okay the first time, but after trying to watch it again it just didn't work.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime

Didn't think I'd see it, but am glad they got not only Goldblum, but Sam Neill and Laura Dern back as well to reprise their roles, though after Jeff Goldblum and what little presence he had in the last film after teasing him, I won't expect too much.

I heard its supposed to be a proper role this time.

But yeah that cameo last time was just pointless.

Surtur
Damn I thought we were gonna discuss the actual Jurassic Park 3 movie cuz they have that hilarious scene that isn't meant to be funny where this happens:

6s9sjPzyQjk

https://i.imgur.com/EgrhcsW.jpg

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Darth Thor
I heard its supposed to be a proper role this time.

But yeah that cameo last time was just pointless.

Yeah, that was one of several reasons the movie didn't sit well.

Another one being: the new characters were annoying and no one really had any arch.

Ridley_Prime
Yeah, they were just millennial stereotypes. Felt the same way about Fallen Kingdom too in any case. Fun the first time, but more painful with each rewatch.

Inhuman
Jurassic Park 3 >>> Jurassic Park 2

Surtur
Alan!

steverules_2
Was there only one of every dinosaur trasported off the island? I remember one baby but that was about it

And why did Fallen Kingdom completely gloss over the fact that site B has dinosaurs? So the dinosaurs from Jurassic World dying would not extinct the dinosaurs

Kazenji
Originally posted by Kazenji

I guess that's a no then.

Darth Thor
^ no but heard its supposed to be quite good.

Kazenji
It's on youtube if you're interested in it

takes place after the 2nd Jurassic World movie how that one ended.

juggerman

I did. Wasn't bad:

C7kbVvpOGdQ

riv6672
Originally posted by juggerman
I did. Wasn't bad:

C7kbVvpOGdQ
This was fun to watch, thanks for posting.

I enjoyed the quick cut credit scenes as much as the main story.
The doves at the wedding getting dive bombed was great!

Patient_Leech
I'm kind of looking forward to seeing the opening sequence now. Especially since I think Trevorrow did better directing the world than the Fallen Kingdom director did...

ares834
Why the **** are a T. Rex and Giganotosaurus fighting? They lived millions of years apart and on different continents....

Patient_Leech
Hm.. that seems a very good question. It seems Giganotosaurus was late Jurassic and T-Rex was late Cretaceous.

Maybe they just don't give a single fu#k anymore about accuracy?

Patient_Leech
DP, sorry

Patient_Leech
I think this is the preview of the preview...

PuzRfhlk8mU

and there is a quick shot that is probably them butting heads...

ShadowFyre
I guess they are gonna have Rexy get her ass whipped by every Therapist in that size range huh? At least the Spino and Irex were visit different creatures. A giganotosaurus is basically a slightly bigger T Rex as far as the general audience is concerned.

I wanna see a Bull Sauropod go berserk and tear shit up.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by ares834
Why the **** are a T. Rex and Giganotosaurus fighting? They lived millions of years apart and on different continents....

I recently remembered that in Jurassic Park III they used incompatible batteries to revive a camcorder. So these movies stopped giving a fu#k a long time ago. Ugh, I guess I'll have to make my peace with it... no expression

Ridley_Prime
I mean JP3 was before the series got a soft reboot. Fallen Kingdom was disappointing, but I don't expect this film to be any worse than the sequels we had initially gotten.

riv6672

Robtard
After Fallen Kingdom, which was just lazy writing, I'll probably watch this at home, unless my son really wants to see it in theaters.

Patient_Leech
First 5 minutes of the movie. It's a beautiful looking open, I'll give it that. The prehistoric shots are wicked...

NkEU6fC_nhY

Kazenji
I've read people have been complaining about the The prehistoric shots from that prologue, Mainly the Dinosaur fanatics saying the Giganotosaurus wasn't around when the T-Rex was alive

FF's just enjoy it for what it is.

ares834
"Just turn your brain off bro."

Nah, I'm good. These movies have become complete dogshit. Sure, it's not some big issue. But it's little things like that that show these writers and directors care about nothing more than spectacle.

Patient_Leech
Yeah, people are complaining about it because it's stupid. But just add it to the list of unscientific and inaccurate stuff the Jurassic movies have done.

But, it will certainly be noteworthy that there are feathered dinos in that 5 min opening.

Patient_Leech
I got a little bored yesterday and turned on some of that Camp Cretaceous show on Netflix with my 4-year-old son. It's terrible. I mean, it's animated, so I guess it's probably expected that the characters would be cartoony cardboard cutouts. But good lord, it's actually unwatchable.

Patient_Leech
Couple of interesting videos breaking down the prologue.

jY_BHe-vnIM

a3gy1kjtxWE

I liked some of Trevorrow's commentary. Can tell he's put some thought into it, but it's still annoying that he doesn't even bring up some of the stupid stuff. Also, now I'm a little confused... is it going to be the first 5 minutes of the film or no? hm

riv6672
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
First 5 minutes of the movie. It's a beautiful looking open, I'll give it that. The prehistoric shots are wicked...

NkEU6fC_nhY
Pretty cool.
Right about the 2 minute mark I thought that little critter was going to be Scrat from the Ice Age movies.

Patient_Leech
Not gonna lie, a little excited about the Therizinosaurus...

4BQLwOBlO3Q

Ridley_Prime
Ssh0Iez-4qY

I want to feel more strongly about this but after the last one, just feeling more of the same here.

riv6672

Kazenji
I'd say i'm in the same situation as Riv regarding Jurassic World 2

this one looks alot better, Maybe because the director from the first Jurassic World movie came back too.

steverules_2

Patient_Leech
I watched some of the trailer and decided not to finish.

What I saw looked okay, just some snowy scenes and such.

ShadowFyre
2 nerdgripes from the trailers.

As far as I know they only have an arm from the Therizinosaurus whatever and they keep making the dilophosaurus some tiny little acid spitting b******* when was actually like 10 to 12 ft tall and the bad ass dinosaur

Patient_Leech
Got my tix for this opening weekend.

Darth Thor
Actually looks pretty good. Totally unrealistic for them to keep escaping that many Dinosaurs. But who cares, looks fun.

Patient_Leech
For any other dinosaur lovers, the Prehistoric Planet special that just came out is pretty phenomenal.

Patient_Leech

Patient_Leech
Another random screenshot...

Patient_Leech
Some wicked stuff...

ShadowFyre
For any other dinosaur lovers, the Prehistoric Planet special that just came out is pretty phenomenal.

Yeah? Gonna have to check that out. I used to be a huge Dino nut as a kid.

Not sure how old everyone is but I was ten when JP came out and it was A BIG ****ING DEAL! Like for real, for real. I remember there was all the sudden like dinosaur camps and stuff you could go to as a kid just out of nowhere because of Jurassic Park movie. I could even tell you how many times I replayed the original Jurassic Park movie.

BruceSkywalker
hope this turns out good

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
hope this turns out good

I have decently high hopes. I thought Trevorrow did a good job with the first Jurassic World. It wasn't perfect, but I liked the cynicism and it felt like a fun B monster movie.

Robtard
I predict dinosaurs will do some dinosaur stuff in this, while humans once again, for the 6th time, come to the realization that dinosaurs and humans can't really coexist.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Robtard
I predict dinosaurs will do some dinosaur stuff in this, while humans once again, for the 6th time, come to the realization that dinosaurs and humans can't really coexist. laughing out loud I predict you are right.

riv6672

ares834

thumb up

Really enjoyed this.

Patient_Leech
thumb up

Really enjoyed this.

The baby pterosaurs are really cute.

Patient_Leech
The Carnotaurus dance is another highlight, haha...

https://c.tenor.com/ruQ87lXflq4AAAAC/prehistoric-planet-carnotaurus.gif

ares834
That was hilarious. Too bad the poor guy was rejected...

riv6672
The baby pterosaurs are really cute.

^^^aaaawwww! eek!

Patient_Leech
That was hilarious. Too bad the poor guy was rejected...

Maybe his tiny arms weren't blue enough? Or she wasn't impressed with his dance moves? Hard to know!

StiltmanFTW
Good or trash?

Patient_Leech
Dominion doesn't come out until next week. There's a few reviews in over at RT, though.

We were talking about Prehistoric Planet, a new dinosaur documentary. It's really cool. If you're into dinosaurs at all it's worth your time.

Patient_Leech
Hm.. reviews are rolling in since the premiere yesterday I think.

It's pretty mixed.

I hope it's not just a bunch of stupid fan service crap like Ghostbusters Afterlife or Star Wars.

BruceSkywalker
gonna see on friday or saturday

Patient_Leech
Yeah, I'm going Saturday.

Reviews are not good, it's already at 40%

I still plan to make up my own mind.

I even eventually grew to like Fallen Kingdom okay, heh.

Kazenji
i usually go with Joblo.com for movie reviews and the reviewer over there gave this a 5/10

riv6672

Patient_Leech
Yeah, this is getting terrible critic reviews.

But I suspect it'll play better for audiences and fans. I hope.

Because even amongst the critics I'm hearing totally opposite opinions, like they watched different movies.

We shall see.

Darth Thor
I already thought it looked pretty overboard with the escaping with their lives.

Doesnt mean it wont be fun as hell though.

Btw the last one has a 48% on RT.

And First Jurassic World has a 71, so thats the best we could get from critics (assuming this wont be better than the first JW).

Edit: just seen this one has a 37… Ouch.

Patient_Leech
I already thought it looked pretty overboard with the escaping with their lives.

Doesnt mean it wont be fun as hell though.

Btw the last one has a 48% on RT.

And First Jurassic World has a 71, so thats the best we could get from critics (assuming this wont be better than the first JW).

Edit: just seen this one has a 37… Ouch.

The ironic thing is that on the critic concensus for Dominion it says it's an improvement over Fallen Kingdom, but the RT score is already way lower. Heh.

I don't even know how it looks. I've avoided all trailers.

Darth Thor
Godzilla King of the Monsters was pretty good and that has a 42 on RT. So these arent the sort of films to rely on critic reviews tbh.

But will see how it is next week.

Patient_Leech
Godzilla King of the Monsters was pretty good and that has a 42 on RT. So these arent the sort of films to rely on critic reviews tbh.

But will see how it is next week.

Fair enough. I didn't particularly care for that Godzilla film, but I wouldn't necessarily say it was AWFUL. I think I actually preferred the one that killed off Bryan Cranston way too early (Kong Skull Island was my favorite by far of those sorts of films, though. That movie rocks). I know that's a somewhat controversial opinion, but your point is taken...

I definitely am not putting a lot of stock in critic reviews for this.

Will make up my own mind.

relentless1
The movie was lifeless and a waste of the OG trio; bad plots absolutely nonsensical choices to push the story along that actually take you out of the film and above all else not capitalizing on the most interesting story you could've told here... such a waste 3/10

BruceSkywalker
Yeah, this is getting terrible critic reviews.

But I suspect it'll play better for audiences and fans. I hope.

Because even amongst the critics I'm hearing totally opposite opinions, like they watched different movies.

We shall see.

You should always judge for yourself

S_W_LeGenD
I watched this movie with my wife on Friday.

The plot could shine as a Rated R THRILLER but the director went out of his way to make it PG-13 compliant which killed its charm and development. The tension and drama is unnecessarily toned down.

The Giganotosaurus part had the potential to be a very thrilling story arc of its own but it does not gets much screen time and the good guys have plot armor regardless.

The ending is wishful thinking in itself.

I was expecting much better from Colin Trevorrow but he missed the mark on this one.

I am not surprised though: Colin's short story (Battle at Big Rock) is also underwhelming. In view of this short story, I felt that Colin might botch the main movie as well, after a fairly decent buildup, and he did.

This is how I rate Jurassic World movies:

Jurassic World = 7 / 10
Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom = 5 / 10
Jurassic World Dominion = 4 / 10

S_W_LeGenD
The movie does have it share of impressive action sequences, and dino depictions.

Therizinosaurus, Quetzalcoatlus, Dimetrodon, and a big Raptor with feathers, are visually well done and depicted. Credit where due.

ShadowFyre
There's a Dimetradon? Not a dinosaur but one of my favorite creatures.

Ridley_Prime
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would; definitely better than Fallen Kingdom imo. The first JW I didn't think as much of as time went on, so for now I may actually like Dominion more than it too, but will have to see how it ages for me.

The original cast were used more than I thought with that said. Was expecting just a cameo from them at best, but they had almost as much screen time as Pratt it felt like. Nostalgia for the characters made me enjoy their callbacks and even their occasional one liners.

Oh, and yeah, the dinosaurs and action scenes were still as entertaining as I'd expect, considering.

BruceSkywalker
just git back from seeing this.. its an fairly decent okay film.. NOT ENOUGH DINOSAUR KILLINGS WHICH MADE ME UPSET. Glad the OG cast returned and survived. i loved the dinos though.. can't recommend unless you like chis pratt..igive this a solid 5/10

Patient_Leech
Watched, enjoyed. More thoughts later, but overall liked.

Some killer dinosaurs, and fun sequences.

Therizinosaurus for the win!! That made me so happy, one of my favorite dinosaurs. So I suspect Colin Trevorrow is a big fan, too.

Patient_Leech
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would; definitely better than Fallen Kingdom imo. The first JW I didn't think as much of as time went on, so for now I may actually like Dominion more than it too, but will have to see how it ages for me.

The original cast were used more than I thought with that said. Was expecting just a cameo from them at best, but they had almost as much screen time as Pratt it felt like. Nostalgia for the characters made me enjoy their callbacks and even their occasional one liners.

Oh, and yeah, the dinosaurs and action scenes were still as entertaining as I'd expect, considering.

I think I can see why Colin was excited to make this movie because he was clearly bringing in influences from Indiana Jones/James Bond as well as nostalgia from the first film. To me it still worked pretty well, but I can see how a lot of critics might have found it disjointed or something. While it does seem a bit different, I thought it was pretty fun and I think it will grow on me with more viewings.

To me the film was better when it wasn't relying on nostalgic callbacks, but fortunately I don't think it was quite as cheesy or heavy-handed as say Ghostbusters Afterlife which almost entirely relied on callbacks and nostalgia. Plus I think some of the callbacks and original cast sequences provided a bookending to the series. So I can forgive it. I still would have liked to see the Biosin exec guy die more creatively instead of with a callback to the original spitters and Barbosal cannister. But dear god, there are some killer new dinosaur sequences in this. Glad i didn't watch any trailers. The dinosaur animation is pretty amazing...

Although, a nitpick, but was it just me or was Blue's baby animation strangely choppy and... off?

Ridley_Prime
thumb up

As for Blue's baby Beta? Yeah, kinda was. Still cute though.

Patient_Leech
^ Glad it wasn't just me.

Okay, time for a bit of a rant. And Ghostbusters Afterlife is my go-to rant. That movie was nostalgia, rehash, corporate marketing overload with a premise that is basically a blank slate for creativity. The Jurassic Park/World franchise is different. There's only so much you can do with it. So I have to say fu#k the critics on this one. Ghostbusters Afterlife has a fresh score (63%) on RT, but Jurassic World: Dominion is at like 30%. That's ridiculous. Maybe if JWbig grin was non-stop nostalgia and corporate product placement from start to finish it would have gotten better reviews?

Fu#k the critics on this one.

Robtard

StiltmanFTW
I want to see Jeff's bare chest again.

Robtard
Watch The Fly (1986), he's half naked in that a bunch of time. Good SciFi too.

Speaking of, surprised they're not remade that film again.

StiltmanFTW
My dude.

Of course I've seen The Fly thumb up Cult classic.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
I want to see Jeff's bare chest again.

They nodded to that in the movie.

I was the only person in the theater who laughed at it, I couldn't believe it.

Robtard
We should start a KMC GoFundMe and get Stilt this statue of open shirt Jeff: https://mikeshouts.com/jurassic-park-dr-ian-malcolm-statue/

Patient_Leech
The Fly is the very reason I think Goldblum is a legend.

In case anyone is curious why the kids from Jurassic Park weren't in Dominion...

https://screenrant-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/screenrant.com/jurassic-world-dominion-lex-tim-cameo-absence-explained/amp/?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9& amp;usqp=mq331AQIKAGwASCAAgM%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251
%24s&aoh=16551565558717&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fscreenrant.com%2Fjurassic-world-dominion-lex-tim-cameo-absence-explained%2F

StiltmanFTW
We should start a KMC GoFundMe and get Stilt this statue of open shirt Jeff: https://mikeshouts.com/jurassic-park-dr-ian-malcolm-statue/

https://i.ibb.co/8b9fYTL/1f4a6.png https://i.ibb.co/8b9fYTL/1f4a6.png https://i.ibb.co/8b9fYTL/1f4a6.png https://i.ibb.co/8b9fYTL/1f4a6.png https://i.ibb.co/8b9fYTL/1f4a6.png

https://i.ibb.co/8b9fYTL/1f4a6.png https://i.ibb.co/8b9fYTL/1f4a6.png https://i.ibb.co/8b9fYTL/1f4a6.png https://i.ibb.co/8b9fYTL/1f4a6.png https://i.ibb.co/8b9fYTL/1f4a6.png

*faints*

StiltmanFTW
They nodded to that in the movie.

I was the only person in the theater who laughed at it, I couldn't believe it.

Yes, they did thumb up Just came back from the theater.

Re-watched JP1 yesterday, made me appreciate seeing the original cast again.

Patient_Leech
Yes, they did thumb up Just came back from the theater.

Re-watched JP1 yesterday, made me appreciate seeing the original cast again.

Very nice. What did you think?

Personally I can't wait to see it again, mainly for some of that sweet Therizinosaurus action. Man I loved that. (But sadly I probably won't have time or opportunity to see it in the theater again). The feathered raptor on the ice was fu#king cool, too. I was a little surprised how well it could swim underwater. I'm not sure that it would have been able to swoop around so fast like a penguin.. but it was certainly trippy AF.

StiltmanFTW
Think the critics were too harsh on it.

It does have flaws and it's too long.. but the OG cast was perfect.

Makes me want to revisit Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis... that was such a good game.

Patient_Leech
Think the critics were too harsh on it.

https://c.tenor.com/rE2s2sehhrMAAAAC/thats-the-****ing-truth-thats-the-truth.gif

It does have flaws and it's too long.. but the OG cast was perfect.

Agreed. For example Maisey (sp?) being a sheltered teenager wanting to rebel and go out into the world should have been condensed as much as humanly possible.

StiltmanFTW
I didn't mind that, actually.

Too many "racing" scenes bothered me.

Not only you can't feel the speed, you're perfectly aware none of the protagonists are in any real danger... smh. If I wanted to watch such scenes, I'd download Fast & Furious part 875327658.

Patient_Leech
You're right, the Malta chase sequence didn't ever really present any convincing peril for the characters. Part of that is just the nature of the series. You don't expect any major character to suddenly get killed. The series is mainly just an avenue through which we have interaction with and amongst dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals.

Although, to be fair, the guy flying the helicopter in Jurassic World, Masrani, did end up going down in the helicopter inside the huge pterosaur exhibition. At that point he wasn't a major character, but still, he was presented as the successor to Hammond. And the script allowed for a moments of shock as people were dying.

If someone had died in Dominion it would have slowed things down and not been terribly interesting.

wakkawakkawakka
So for the people who watched this movie... Does anyone get Dino-killed as badly as the park lady from Jurassic World?

Patient_Leech
Hm.. not really. Not from what I remember. There's a cut away (since it is a PG-13 film). And then there's maybe a chomp or two. That's what I remember off the top of my head.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
So for the people who watched this movie... Does anyone get Dino-killed as badly as the park lady from Jurassic World?

no.. I wanted so badly for the dinos to kill folks but they hardly did

Patient_Leech
^lol, you're a sick individual, Brucey.

A TV news blurb or two with people getting killed would have been nice.

Ah, well. Opportunity missed.

wakkawakkawakka
Hm.. not really. Not from what I remember. There's a cut away (since it is a PG-13 film). And then there's maybe a chomp or two. That's what I remember off the top of my head. Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
no.. I wanted so badly for the dinos to kill folks but they hardly did

Dang it.

BruceSkywalker
^lol, you're a sick individual, Brucey.

A TV news blurb or two with people getting killed would have been nice.

Ah, well. Opportunity missed.

lol leech triple lol.... seeing the dinos kill the humans was always the best thing about these films

Patient_Leech
Good interview with Colin Trevorrow...

t4hmZupVIA0

Patient_Leech
A coupla nice TV spots with more footage...

sh5269m4Zkg

HJIG7vLU1Q0

Old Man Whirly!
Watch The Fly (1986), he's half naked in that a bunch of time. Good SciFi too.

Speaking of, surprised they're not remade that film again. Earth Girls are easy, I seem to remember Speedo's

Old Man Whirly!
I enjoyed more than all but the original al film tbh.

Patient_Leech
Haha, awesome. My wife got me the Therizinosaurus for Father's Day. 😄😁

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
lol leech triple lol.... seeing the dinos kill the humans was always the best thing about these films

Deaths can add to tension, fuel emotions, and can also be plot-moving devices. These elements make a good dino movie.

Jurassic World Dominion is too toned down for a dino movie unfortunately. There was no need to make it PG-13 but distributors care about money. More cinema tickets sold = more money to be made.

But people appreciate mediocrity now.

Impediment
It was a fun popcorn movie and that's all.

These dinosaur films aren't anything epic.

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by Impediment

These dinosaur films aren't anything epic.
thumb up

The best are following in my view:

Jurassic Park = 8/10
Jurassic World = 7/10

Other entries in the franchise are fun popcorn stuff.

Some might disagree with me which is fine.

Patient_Leech
I just think people look back at the original JP a little too rosy-eyed. There was stupid shit in it, too (actually worse glaring errors than JW). The fence that T-Rex walked over suddenly became a huge cliff moments later for reasons (ie, the script called for it). And why not just climb to the other side of the tree if the car is falling down on you?

It's far from a perfect film. We were just blown away by the dinosaurs.

Such is the case with the new JW films.

They may have some goofy things, but the dinosaurs still kick ass.

S_W_LeGenD
I just think people look back at the original JP a little too rosy-eyed. There was stupid shit in it, too (actually worse glaring errors than JW). The fence that T-Rex walked over suddenly became a huge cliff moments later for reasons (ie, the script called for it). And why not just climb to the other side of the tree if the car is falling down on you?

It's far from a perfect film. We were just blown away by the dinosaurs.

Such is the case with the new JW films.

They may have some goofy things, but the dinosaurs still kick ass.

I admit that JP is NOT perfect.

But it was a big leap from earlier dino flicks in visuals, and its plot was refreshing. It is recalled and rated very high for its visuals and originality in combination.

The fence part is explained in following video:

64oc_hIm3xc

JW is a revisit to JP with better visuals and more action. My favorite in fact.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD

The fence part is explained in following video:

64oc_hIm3xc

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing!

But honestly, with that design it seems like it would be dangerous for the animal, could easily slip and fall on the apparently huge slope.

S_W_LeGenD
Good stuff! Thanks for sharing!
You're welcome.

But honestly, with that design it seems like it would be dangerous for the animal, could easily slip and fall on the apparently huge slope.
Agreed.

It was more like a MacGuffin plot device then a practical design consideration.

Patient_Leech
This guy makes some good points. Overall he sides with the critics, but he mentions pros and cons. I look forward to an extended version. The prologue getting cut was definitely a big flaw. There really were too many threads that didn't weave together perfectly, but it didn't hurt my enjoyment of the film too much...

SLNdH5QD6rU

And I was wondering why Dodgson was played by someone else in this film, and well here you go...

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Impediment

These dinosaur films aren't anything epic. thumb up Spot on! Just like the MCU, neither are Top Gun Maverick.

Kazenji
Kinda liked this sequel alot more then Fallen Kingdom

also up until this 3rd Jurassic World movie was released, Why was Site B ignored.

Patient_Leech
Kinda liked this sequel alot more then Fallen Kingdom.

It's definitely less goofy than Fallen Kingdom. But I still like Fallen Kingdom for the Gothic vibes and such. I actually kind of enjoy the Creature feature stuff.

But yeah, I think Dominion is going to be a lot better once the Prologue is reinserted. Which it almost certainly will be. I think Trevorrow has all but confirmed it. It apparently killed him to have to cut it from the theatrical release.

Patient_Leech
Just as a heads up, there is a confirmed Extended Cut coming with the home release. Reported to be approximately 14 minutes longer, probably 4-5 minutes of that will be the opening Prologue scene that was always intended to be the opening of the movie.

I can't wait to get my grubby dino claws on that extra footage...

gs1-0mTXa1I

Patient_Leech
Nice little video essay...

mwrSoI_0sXc

Patient_Leech
I don't know how or why, but the Extended Cut has leaked. FYI

Still not even a release date for the blu-ray, but is estimated for September.

Ridley_Prime
An interesting point I saw someone bring up earlier is how the Jurassic World trilogy mirrors the Star Wars sequel trilogy to a T.

. First movie is a soft reboot that copies every beat of the original movie and panders to nostalgia.
. The Second movie takes a very bizarre turn and makes the viewer question how far is too far for a movie to stray from the franchise.
. The Third movie is a weak attempt to cater to the fans they lost from the second one by plugging it with dumb fanservice moments and continuing to up the ante while being the one of the blandest things you've ever seen.

I personally consider the 2nd film the worst out of both trilogies, but still, that's modern Hollywood for ya, with the 3rd film out of such a trilogy being mostly damage control.

Be that as it may though, dinosaurs was still a refreshing change from superhero films around every corner.

Patient_Leech
An interesting point I saw someone bring up earlier is how the Jurassic World trilogy mirrors the Star Wars sequel trilogy to a T.

. First movie is a soft reboot that copies every beat of the original movie and panders to nostalgia.
. The Second movie takes a very bizarre turn and makes the viewer question how far is too far for a movie to stray from the franchise.
. The Third movie is a weak attempt to cater to the fans they lost from the second one by plugging it with dumb fanservice moments and continuing to up the ante while being the one of the blandest things you've ever seen.

I personally consider the 2nd film the worst out of both trilogies, but still, that's modern Hollywood for ya, with the 3rd film out of such a trilogy being mostly damage control.

Be that as it may though, dinosaurs was still a refreshing change from superhero films around every corner.

It seems to fit (although I would say you can make an argument either way on the 2nd film), but allow me to explain the main reason why I think it falls apart...

There's only so much you can do with a Jurassic continuation, that is if you want to keep it relatively grounded (which they sort of did). I mean, you have to create a functioning Dino Park (especially with the progression of modern filmmaking technology). But Star Wars didn't *have* to create ANOTHER fu#king easily dismantled Death Star. Given there is an entire UNIVERSE of possibilities to draw from. So to me it's not really a fair comparison. Trevorrow did about the best you can and he cleverly bookended the series by bringing it around full circle to Dodgson and maintaining that real-world cynicism throughout.

And as for the nostalgia, I actually think it's tasteful enough to not be too distracting. I always go to Ghostbusters Afterlife as one of the most shameless rehashings of all time. Another series where there is infinite possibilities for imaginative creations and they just did nostalgia. Sadly fans lapped it up.

Also, as a side note: the Jurassic Trilogy was conceived of as is from the beginning. As far as I know the SW sequel Trilogy was made up as they went along. So JW at least maintained a cohesive narrative.

Patient_Leech
Picked this up today.

Kazenji
I don't know how or why, but the Extended Cut has leaked. FYI

Still not even a release date for the blu-ray, but is estimated for September.

Just seen this today, regarding the launch of it in Malta

it has 14 minutes of additional footage.

riv6672

Patient_Leech
Yeah, don't even bother with the theatrical cut anymore. It's obsolete now as far as I am concerned. Do as the director suggests...

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jurassic-world-dominion-director-implores-220947741.html

Kazenji
So its a better film with the extra 14 mins?....why didn't they release that one in the cinema's.

Patient_Leech
So its a better film with the extra 14 mins?....why didn't they release that one in the cinema's.

Beats me. As far as I know the studio didn't want such a long movie. 2 hrs 26 min vs 2 hrs 40 min. Not that big of a difference. Not like it's 3 hours like The Batman. But why give such great artistic freedom to your director but then force him to butcher the theatrical release? I imagine getting to market an "extended cut" with the bluray release is desirable?

Darth Thor
Joined the billion dollar club:

https://movieweb.com/jurassic-world-dominion-joins-1-billion-club-after-three-months-in-theaters/

even if just by the skin of its teeth (pun intended, couldnt help myself).

Ridley_Prime
Despite this having been said to be the last one, Jurassic World 4 is very much a possibility according to producers. Anyone who saw how well Dominion did predicted as much. Regardless of the inconsistent quality of this series, dinosaurs just havent lost their magic with audiences. Unless Universal suddenly decides it hates money like WB, another film is pretty much a foregone conclusion.

ares834
Saw this a few days ago. It was terrible. Borderline offensively bad. I'd say it's probably worse than FK because FK at least had some really cool scenes like the opening.

Also, despite all the hype for the Giganotosaurus, it was barely in the movie.

riv6672
^^^Hmmm.
Thought this was a total Oscar bait flick.

Ridley_Prime
Still got more out of this than Fallen Kingdom personally. I only remember like a couple scenes from FK. It helped though I guess that I didnt really have expectations for Giganotosaurus, giving no thought or attention to the hype it had. Suppose my expectations were lowered after the Indo-Raptor too, but even it had more screen time.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.