What issues or series got you into comics?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LordGod
Hoping the mods are lenient with this---

Was there a certain comic book issue or series that really sparked your interest in comics and made you want to get into them more?

For me it was rereading COIE in DC and House of M in Marvel. It rekindled my interest in comics and made me start wanting to read more.

DarkSaint85
Ha. For me, it was Marvel vsDc, then Spawn....

Galan007
I used to read comics here and there when I was younger, but never with any kind of consistency.

For whatever reason, what got me into comics hardcore was the original Marvel Zombies series and Kingdom Come.

qwertyuiop1998
I dropped and started re-read again multiple times.
First got me into comics is Marvel Civil War
And then I randomly picking some comics, Untill N52 start I begin to consistency to read comics, But really makes me interested in comics is Geoff's GL series.....Though later I found my favourite character is Superman, After that I begin to read a lot of related to him comics

Khazra Reborn
I sporadically read a lot of early 90s edgelord stuff, but I didn't really get fully into buying comic's until Jurgens' Thor.

deft
Yeah, Killing Joke was amazing reading.

celeyhyga17
First book I've ever read as a kid was Captain America... Specifically Streets of Poison.

xJLxKing

DarkSaint85
...Kingdom Come isn't THAT old....

Gecko4lif
Infinity gauntlet

cdtm
Transformers and Byrne era Superman.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
...Kingdom Come isn't THAT old....

xJLxKing brutally beats and devours children for a living; you can't expect him to have a non-broken perception of time...

https://66.media.tumblr.com/fa4c97b6aa80dc74afef25e5c14ceeb9/tumblr_oktckhosRM1vyvg1co1_250.gif

He's a monster.

celeyhyga17
What movie/show is that from?

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by celeyhyga17
What movie/show is that from?

The Taking of Deborah Logan from 2014.

Adam Grimes
I remember reading somewhere about Marvel Zombies and that concept had kid horrified, so I had to read it.

SquallX

Stoic
Conan, and anything with him in it. I used to get buzzed on weed and go read those magazines for hours.

staxamillion
those 90's foil covers from the phalanx saga in X-men

tkitna
I started reading Spidey Super Stories in the early 70's when I was young and then started buying real books shortly after like the Fantastic Four, Spectacular and Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, Black Panther, Hulk, etc,,,

cdtm
Originally posted by cdtm
Transformers and Byrne era Superman.

Actually, I'm wrong. That stuff came after.

It was three regular sized issues of Archie my father got me when I was something like 6.

xJLxKing

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
The Taking of Deborah Logan from 2014.
thumb up
ty

Faceless808
The old black and whites of Conan, Doc Savage and Creepy (?).

abhilegend
X-men actually.

Kazenji
Used to read alot of issues here and there from different series when i was younger

but the first series that i actually followed was Sonic the Hedgehog from Archie Comics.

NemeBro
Read a few stories here and there out of general pop culture interest in some characters, but reading All Star Superman in high school is what got me interested in comics in general and Superman in particular.

-Pr-
The first comic I ever read was Silver Surfer. I don't recall the exact issue because it was thirty-odd years ago (late 80s), but that was my first comic. The first series I was grabbed by was Uncanny X-Men. I had read some Surfer and Avengers, sure, but once I got in to X-Men, I was hooked.

-K-M-

carver9
This got me into comic books...

sAkL2-vh2Sk

I remember every morning, me, my mom and sisters use to rush into the living room to watch this. I thought Wolverine was the most powerful being in existence and my family couldnt stand it. They watched the show primarily to see Wolverine get beat up, even though they thought the show was great as well. My moms isnt even a comic person but she respected that show. It was just that good. Then I went online, googled Wolverine vs Superman and it lead me here. You all can send a thank you to the writer of that cartoon at any time for bringing me into your lives. laughing out loud

Sin I AM
Kirby's New Gods, The Question, Adam Strange for DC..Thor/Hulk and Surfer for Marvel. I had tons of comics to choose from though since my older relatives collected them.

panthergod
Adam West Batman reruns on Family Channel when I was 4.

Then the Spider-Man/Storm/Luke Cage stop smoking ashcan when I was in Kindergarten.

Super Grover from Sesame street was my favorite muppet.

Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends.

The 80s Ninja Turtles cartoon.

That superhero episode of Muppet Babies. where they do that Ride of the Valkyries parody.

Batman Animated Series/X-Men TAS etc

I remember getting those Toys R Us comic bundles. got the Erik Larsen Revenge of the Sinister Six Storyline and Knightfall.

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by carver9
This got me into comic books...

sAkL2-vh2Sk

I thought Wolverine was the most powerful being in existence and my family couldnt stand it.
This was very telling...

mhmm

Mindship
When I was a kid, I used to read my older cousins' (pre-crisis) DC comics, which I could take or leave.

Then, a little older, I discovered Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Thor, Silver Surfer, all under Marvel's/Stan Lee's superior storytelling and (mostly) drawn by Jack 'King' Kirby. This actually inspired me to create my own characters and draw my own comics (albeit, derivative, eg, the 'Golden Glider', long before there was a Lisa Snart).

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by celeyhyga17
This was very telling...

mhmm

OP asks for comic issues/series we have READ.

Carver comes in with a cartoon thumb up Reading is for chumps - a motto that has lasted him to this very day.

Parmaniac
Mainly Spider-Man in the early 90s, my grandma bought my the Torment event of Spider-Man by McFarlane, I couldn't even read at that point laughing out loud a few Batman comics too and later Spawn.

Overall TV shows originally introduced my into comic characters like the 80s Spider-Man series and Spider-Man and his amazing Friends then in the 90s the Spider-Man series, X-Men and Batman. Also the Lou Ferrigno Hulk show.

Gadabout
This is the issue that got me permanently reading/buying comics but it was reading an old Green Lateran issue that sparked my interest...i recall reciting his mantra when I was about 10-lol

SquallX

ghostman
solar man of the atom. valiant

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.