The cognitive dissonance of mental health activism, and incel culture

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
When you hear about depression, the images activists tend to use are "relatable" normal people, who otherwise have their act together. Maybe they have a solid career trajectory, maybe a family. They're almost always attractive, or at least not homely.

They certainly don't look anything like the typical basemen dweller" associated with incel culture. The poster child of the somewhat dumpy, anti social, seemingly narcissistic type, who hangs out all day on 4chan or 8chan and rants against PC culture, or how women aren't giving them their due.

I realize why campaigners would use sympathetic people to promote their cause. That's been the method of operation even since the civil rights movement rejected Claudette Colvin as a symbol of the movement for being "too black", and waited for Rosa Parks. Or, the gay rights movement intentionally marginalized "flaming homosexuals" or "sissyboys", instead pushing people that look like a typical yuppie.

Nonetheless, it strikes me as a pretty serious blind spot in mental health. It's perfectly acceptable to shame, marginalize, and objectify people who's self destructive behavior may stem from some form of mental illness. They won't get help from this adversarial stance.

And any talk of mental health will fall on deaf ears, when it comes in the form of condescending attack, as (let's be honest) it often is, when speaking about psychological help.

I'm not sure how this can change, but I'm certain marginalization only feeds this cycle of victim complex/group lashing out/potential physical attack.

jaden_2.0
How is being an incel a mental illness?

cdtm
Originally posted by jaden_2.0

How is incel behavior at all normal?

I'm no psychologist, but there's big flags of all sorts there.. Potential depression, social anxiety, paranoia, autism, problems with social cues, norms, and intimacy..

All things that gain sympathy, when we see someone we sympathize with.

I was serving a computer rollout at a mental health location, and have seen first hand how one woman who was a school teacher had a breakdown, and lost all higher reasoning abilities and essentially wandered around like a zombie, and had all sorts of outpouring of support, both in her clinic and at home. Yet all the more homely people, who didn't have her career background or beauty, were looked down on or ignored. One of them simply asked for tea at the psyche ward, and was condescended to by the help.

Silent Master
Originally posted by jaden_2.0

Are you under the impression that being an incel is genetic and not something that is a consequence of things like a person's personality, social skills etc?

Adam_PoE
fD2briZ6fB0

jaden_2.0

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by Silent Master
Are you under the impression that being an incel is genetic and not something that is a consequence of things like a person's personality, social skills etc?

What are you even talking about?

Silent Master
Sigh

jaden_2.0
I'm genuinely curious as to how you would even infer that from my post.

Or maybe you're just strawmanning again.

Blakemore
Being an incel comes from being unlikeable. Sometimes it's a mental illness, but some genuinely aren't victims.

Flyattractor
Yet Certain Parts of our Cultural High Society tend to go to great lengths to Vilify said Incels.

Kind of like they WANT said Incels to actually CAUSE incidents.

Surtur
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
fD2briZ6fB0

I thought she/he/it/ got cancelled though.

https://medium.com/swlh/contrapoints-pronouns-canceled-twitter-youtube-3f405f8d47ac

Flyattractor
That and its a Youtube Personality so anything she/he/it says is automatically invalidated.

Silent Master
So now youtubers are ok?

Flyattractor
So now youtubers are ok?

Only when you use the philosophy of "Only When We Do It" or otherwise known as The Double Standard!

Putinbot1
So now youtubers are ok? Good God, No!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.