Martin Scorsese Slams Marvel

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BrolyBlack
Link

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EF_wBQTWsAEkeAo.jpg:large

Robtard
I overall disagree, even though I'd not compare the story quality of a film like GoTG to his The Departed, they're both great films, but for different reasons and "cinema" is a very broad thing.

Inhuman
Old timers in the 60's said the same thing about Westerns.
In the 80s it was over the top action movies, etc.

Nothing new here.

KingD19
Especially considering multiple marvel movies have plenty of relationship and character building. The soul stone fight between Hawkeye and Widow was so touching because they've shown for years that they're at least as good friends as Cap and Bucky are just for one example.

Bashar Teg
scorcese is correct. thumb up

unlike him, I enjoy some comic book movies, but they are all pretty dumb and lacking any true substance

Robtard
His point seems to center on the apparent lack of "convey, emotional, psychological experiences to another", is simply wrong though. That happens even in comic films, you may personally feel they're shit performances (and some are), but they happen.

Tony with Peter

Thor with Loki

Thor in Infinity War when he's talking about all he's lost in life and what keeps him going

Bashar Teg
I see no complexity in their linear and predictable human relationships. The addition of funny wisecracks and banter doesn't change that. Characters switching from good guy to bad guy to good guy definitely does not change that (yes, I'm talking to you as well, star wars)

Trocity
Well that was quite pretentious of Scorsese.

jaden_2.0
In fairness, I don't think they're aimed at him.

Impediment
Scorsese says comic book movies aren't cinema just like Bill Maher says that Stan Lee is overrated just like Roger Ebert says that video games aren't art.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it or even acknowledge it.

-Pr-
I expected better from someone like Scorcese, tbh.

BruceSkywalker
F^CK THAT ***** SCORSESE..

Kazenji
Usually hear this talk from a director every 5 month's these days. He's entitled to his opinion doesn't mean i have to agree with it.

ares834
Based Scorsese laying out facts.

Flyattractor
Somewhere Quanchi just added Scorsese to ...."THE LIST!"

Darth Thor
Its his opinion. Disney shills dont allow different opinions.

Kazenji
Joss Whedon replied to it on twitter.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Bashar Teg

unlike him, I enjoy some comic book movies, but they are all pretty dumb and lacking any true substance I'm going to semi agree but go a step further. These "comic book" movies bar character names bear little resemblance to comic books. They do not convey the scale of a cosmic comic, or even the kitsch emotional narrative of how Kotvac died for love in Avengers 167. No comic book movie has had the high melodrama of Miller's first Daredevil run say. They are more 1 dimensional than the two dimensional pages they are taken from. That is not to say Iron Man 1 or V for Vendetta are not great films. They are exceptions to everything I just said and there are others. Focussing on the soap opera and crossover elements of Marvel comics hasn't helped the plot.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by BrolyBlack
Link

Obviously some comic films are better than others at conveying real psychological and emotional human experiences. But they all largely overwhelm those elements with "theme park" spectacle that is more aimed at kids and the inner child of adults. So I think Scorsese certainly makes good points. The best films (no matter what genre: sci-fi, drama, action/adventure, etc) do incorporate real humanity in them, so completely disregarding a whole sub-genre seems a little extreme and close-minded, but I imagine he's speaking more out of irritation that comicbook films have basically taken over the market and smaller, more human films get buried and obscured. Which is why I still value the Oscars because they still serve as a vehicle to expose people to great films that they may not otherwise know about. Green Book, for example, was amazing. I likely wouldn't have known about it if it weren't for the Oscars.

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
F^CK THAT ***** SCORSESE..

Lol, So all you comic nerds, try not to get all your panties in a bunch, because Scorsese is an old-school filmmaker, so this shouldn't be all that surprising.

Originally posted by Robtard
I overall disagree, even though I'd not compare the story quality of a film like GoTG to his The Departed, they're both great films, but for different reasons and "cinema" is a very broad thing.

Right, cinema has changed drastically with advances in technology. It was inevitable. My mom always says she can't stand all the new special effects. She watches tons of movies from the 30s, 40s, and 50s. I mean, I get it, the special effects often do overwhelm real human experience. Anyone should be able to sympathize with that especially coming from someone from a much older generation. That being said, I was able to turn my mom onto some great modern films like The Matrix Trilogy. She loves the Matrix films' mixture of ideas and human connection. At least the special effects largely exist in support of the story (with some spectacle, of course).

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Kazenji

You don't care to share what he said?

Insane Titan
Meh MS is right with some points he made and wrong with other. laughing out loud at Disneyshill freaking out, seriously get a grip.

jaden_2.0

So did James Gunn

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Patient_Leech

nah i said that coz i knew you and others would be butthurt over it.... rob has the best statement in here

roughrider

unlike him, I enjoy some comic book movies, but they are all pretty dumb and lacking any true substance

The Dark Knight in 2008 was maybe the Best film that year, and one of the Best of the decade. It actually shook up the Oscars, as they realized they were being too snobbish towards genre films, that they could be the equal of any indie drama. So the Best Picture nominees got expanded from five to ten the next year.

Scorsese is one of the greatest filmmakers, but it's disappointing hearing this from him as he's long been a lover of all film history. Now he's just another sourpuss complaining about Marvel & other Comic Book films sucking up almost all the attention from audiences; he and Steven Spielberg should start a club for grumpy old directors.

Complaining about these genre films is the same as the decades long complaint about Science Fiction & Fantasy films being the dominant genre in Hollywood, ever since Star Wars in 1977. You'd think these guys would be used to it by now.

Impediment
Steven Spielberg didn't exactly slam comic book movies, but he did affirm that they have a shelf life. He said something to the effect of comic book movies fading out of popularity over time like Westerns did.

I personally disagree.

roughrider
Scorsese's criticism of films from Marvel - I mean, this is the guy who made a movie celebrating the life & career of Georges Melies (Hugo, 2011) who basically pioneered special effects at the beginning of the movie industry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_M%C3%A9li%C3%A8s

If he traveled back in time and met Melies, would he actually say to him his films are just rides with no substance?

steverules_2

Flyattractor
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
nah i said that coz i knew you and others would be butthurt over it.... rob has the best statement in here

...So Says QueenDisneyShillCuck!

NemeBro
He's wrong in the sense that the statement that they aren't cinema is whiny girlish hyperbole, but on the whole he is right that the MCU is a largely spectacle-driven experience. I don't know how he feels about comic book films in general, but note he mostly is talking about the MCU here, of which there is not a single film in the entire franchise on par with The Dark Knight or Logan.

roughrider
If the MCU was half as dominant, he wouldn't be saying anything at all. Comic Book related movies were just a weird genre that used to 'over there'; now they're sucking all the oxygen out of the room, and Scorsese just made a movie that will mostly be seen online via Netflix. He's clearly frustrated.

NemeBro
Originally posted by roughrider
If the MCU was half as dominant, he wouldn't be saying anything at all. I don't care and it doesn't matter. He's still mostly correct.

Kazenji
The MCU Marvel films is cinema, It's just not the sort of cinema that he likes

doesn't surprise me Scorcese attacking these sort of films, The Hollywood elite are always doing it.

Eon Blue

ares834
https://i.redd.it/uhfxhu555kq31.jpg

laughing out loud

The unintentional humor here is just exquisite.

Darth Thor
^ Lmao

Flyattractor
Originally posted by ares834
https://i.redd.it/uhfxhu555kq31.jpg

laughing out loud

The unintentional humor here is just exquisite.

Yes. Welcome to the McCU.

riv6672

roughrider
90 years ago, talkie movies replaced silent movies, and silent screen stars like Lillian Gish complained that the movies were ruined, that talkies were an inferior art form. The older generation often complains about what replaces them.

Of these older directors, the one I don't hear making complaints about Comic Book movies is George Lucas. Maybe because he's retired and rich AF, but maybe because he's the only other one who knows about building a massive movie universe that can't be contained by one film.

riv6672
90 years ago, talkie movies replaced silent movies, and silent screen stars like Lillian Gish complained that the movies were ruined, that talkies were an inferior art form. The older generation often complains about what replaces them.

Of these older directors, the one I don't hear making complaints about Comic Book movies is George Lucas. Maybe because he's retired and rich AF, but maybe because he's the only other one who knows about building a massive movie universe that can't be contained by one film.
Wise af words right there.

Flyattractor

Yes. This happens Every Generation. Always funny to see how the "Current" Generation always acts like it Won't Happen to them!

I always Larf at that.

BruceSkywalker
The Dark Knight in 2008 was maybe the Best film that year, and one of the Best of the decade. It actually shook up the Oscars, as they realized they were being too snobbish towards genre films, that they could be the equal of any indie drama. So the Best Picture nominees got expanded from five to ten the next year.

Scorsese is one of the greatest filmmakers, but it's disappointing hearing this from him as he's long been a lover of all film history. Now he's just another sourpuss complaining about Marvel & other Comic Book films sucking up almost all the attention from audiences; he and Steven Spielberg should start a club for grumpy old directors.

Complaining about these genre films is the same as the decades long complaint about Science Fiction & Fantasy films being the dominant genre in Hollywood, ever since Star Wars in 1977. You'd think these guys would be used to it by now.

thumb up thumb up

If the MCU was half as dominant, he wouldn't be saying anything at all. Comic Book related movies were just a weird genre that used to 'over there'; now they're sucking all the oxygen out of the room, and Scorsese just made a movie that will mostly be seen online via Netflix. He's clearly frustrated.

thumb up

exactly

Flyattractor
Poor Little Brucie. So Bitter and Hate Filled inside.

John Murdoch

Right on the money here.

I agree with plenty on this thread: Scorcese is right in some aspects, wrong in others. Are there plenty of Justice Leagues, Suicide Squads, and Iron Man 2's out there that are dumb spectacle-driven fun? Yes. Do some of those bust out and become great movies even on that foundation like GotG or Thor: Ragnarok? Yes. Are there some Dark Knights, Logans, even Infinity Wars that have their roots in comics and a cinematic universe that can have Oscar-caliber performances, character-driven drama and suspense, and nigh-perfectly paced plotting and action? Sure. Do some comic book films juggle all of the above? Most definitely. Can I enjoy a Man of Steel as much as a Prisoners, a Winter Soldier just as much as I can an Interstellar? Yes, both pairs were among my favorite movies of 2013 and 2014, respectively.

I see where he's coming from with studios seeing comic book films as the latest cash cow, and it'd be a shame if movies like Blade Runner 2049 and La La Land don't get made anymore due to everyone chasing the next billion-dollar box-office gross superhero flick. If he is talking about the latest Batman v Superman or Captain Marvel, agreed.

The emotional resonance thing though...completely disagree. I felt Black Panther's rage and desire for revenge against Bucky, Thor's heartache when he bore his heart to Rocket, and got goosebumps when Cap wielded Mjolnir and Thor landed in Wakanda. I'll admit I shed some tears when Tony died, when Logan died, when Steve finally got to have his dance with Peggy, and when Billy Batson learned that his mother left him at the fair on purpose. Scorcese is off base there.

It's funny that the current comic book film that is turning the genre on its head, Joker, is primarily inspired by Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy, both Scorcese pictures.

Trocity
Wasn't Scorsese the producer of the movie "The Snowman"?

Not that it matters, but that is in my top 5 shittiest movies I've ever seen.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Trocity
Wasn't Scorsese the producer of the movie "The Snowman"?

Not that it matters, but that is in my top 5 shittiest movies I've ever seen.

Step up your game. You clearly haven't seen nearly enough shitty movies.

Surtur
Link

What a snob.

Kazenji
From Sam L Jackson.

roughrider
Originally posted by John Murdoch
Right on the money here.

I agree with plenty on this thread: Scorcese is right in some aspects, wrong in others. Are there plenty of Justice Leagues, Suicide Squads, and Iron Man 2's out there that are dumb spectacle-driven fun? Yes. Do some of those bust out and become great movies even on that foundation like GotG or Thor: Ragnarok? Yes. Are there some Dark Knights, Logans, even Infinity Wars that have their roots in comics and a cinematic universe that can have Oscar-caliber performances, character-driven drama and suspense, and nigh-perfectly paced plotting and action? Sure. Do some comic book films juggle all of the above? Most definitely. Can I enjoy a Man of Steel as much as a Prisoners, a Winter Soldier just as much as I can an Interstellar? Yes, both pairs were among my favorite movies of 2013 and 2014, respectively.

I see where he's coming from with studios seeing comic book films as the latest cash cow, and it'd be a shame if movies like Blade Runner 2049 and La La Land don't get made anymore due to everyone chasing the next billion-dollar box-office gross superhero flick. If he is talking about the latest Batman v Superman or Captain Marvel, agreed.

The emotional resonance thing though...completely disagree. I felt Black Panther's rage and desire for revenge against Bucky, Thor's heartache when he bore his heart to Rocket, and got goosebumps when Cap wielded Mjolnir and Thor landed in Wakanda. I'll admit I shed some tears when Tony died, when Logan died, when Steve finally got to have his dance with Peggy, and when Billy Batson learned that his mother left him at the fair on purpose. Scorcese is off base there.

It's funny that the current comic book film that is turning the genre on its head, Joker, is primarily inspired by Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy, both Scorcese pictures.

Very intelligent reasoning here.

Patient_Leech
From Sam L Jackson.

As is often the case, Sam Jackson puts it succinctlly and wisely.

Although, I'm surprised there wasn't a "motherf##ker" in there. ha..

Scottie
Lost a bit of respect for Scorces after this, i mean hes passing alot of critical judgement on something which he cant be arsed to watch which comes of pompas and ignorant.

Lestov16
Link

I understand what he is saying. I actually had the exact same reaction walking out of Endgame. While the film was a spectacle, it lacked any meaningful emotional core beyond punching bad guys in the face en masse. I personally like to think that all good films are rooted in an primary emotional conflict which drives the protagonists to create the plot by making emotionally reactive and ethically questionable decisions and deal with the consequences, highlighting said primary emotional conflict (such as the political machinations of GOT, which is a large macroscopic plot that is rooted in the emotional conflicts of it's characters, or similarly Breaking Bad and The Wire, often considered the best shosw of all time precisely because their entire plot is centered around the emotional and ethical dilemmas of it's characters).

With a lot of comic book films, especially MCU ones, there is a lack of this emotional core, as the film's plot is usually driven by a bland villain with nebulously evil goals. Emotional and ethical complexity is discarded and replaced with the childishly simple view that there is absolute good and evil and the best way to defeat said evil is by punching it. While the MCU seems to have an emotional core due to the emotional subplots given to the characters, these subplots are usually meaningless to the story in general and only serve to generate melodrama and thus superficial sympathy for the characters (such as Cap's relation with Agent Carter, Thor's relationship with his mom, and Tony's relationship with his daughter, all of which are meaningless to the story but empathetic to the chaarcters), alongside a lot of self-referential humor which, along with the spectacle, helps serve as a gimmick of the film, but not an emotional core.

Don't get me wrong. There are plenty of comic book films (such as the Dark Knight) and even MCU films (such as Dr. strange) that extend far beyond the standard popcorn flick and deliver amazing pieces of art. But, for the most part, comic book films are known for being simplistic in the exploration of it's themes, which is perfect when it comes to selling the franchise to kids and families, but somewhat unengaging for non-fanboy adult audiences beyond basic spectactle.

Drsoe08
Completely agree with Scorsese. Marvel movies to cinema is what The Spice Girls are to music. Brainless "fun". Do they have their place? Of course, but dont try and pretend they are on the same level as true artistic films.

Impediment

BrolyBlack

Patient_Leech
^ He actually is listed as an "executive producer" for The Snowman.

But it doesn't really mean anything. He didn't direct the film.

BruceSkywalker

Kazenji
Originally posted by Drsoe08
Brainless "fun". Do they have their place? Of course, but dont try and pretend they are on the same level as true artistic films.

They're far from "Brainless" fun. The Fast and furious films is that and the MCU films are far from being in that ball park.

BrolyBlack

Kazenji
He probably didn't see similar films like Star Wars or whatever they had for comic book films back then when he was younger.

Darth Thor

Putinbot1
Few Superhero films are worth a first watch let alone a second, my Superman is Wade and Morrisons not Snyders.

Kazenji
While he further bashes Marvel

Kevin Smith defends comic book movies

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/kevin-smith-defends-marvel-movies-says-scorsese-made-biggest-superhero-movie-ever-1247630

Putinbot1
While he further bashes Marvel

Kevin Smith defends comic book movies

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/kevin-smith-defends-marvel-movies-says-scorsese-made-biggest-superhero-movie-ever-1247630 I'd rather they were called pseudo comic character movies, because they rarely make movies of comic book plots and the characters often bear little resemblance to the comic counterparts.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Putinbot1
I'd rather they were called pseudo comic character movies, because they rarely make movies of comic book plots and the characters often bear little resemblance to the comic counterparts.

Not when different people have read different story runs of the character, Obviously it won't be 100% accurate to most people.

Putinbot1
Not when different people have read different story runs of the character, Obviously it won't be 100% accurate to most people. The lack of faithful adaptations or pseudo faithful adaptations is part of the banality of most Marvel and DC films and story arcs. Titans, The Boys and Doom patrol show TV works better.

Surtur
Scorcese comes off like a whiny b*tch of an old man.

For his next trick is he gonna lament that rap music isn't "real" music?

Kazenji
The lack of faithful adaptations or pseudo faithful adaptations is part of the banality of most Marvel and DC films and story arcs. Titans, The Boys and Doom patrol show TV works better.

Most work better as a tv show, Problem with doing them as a movie gotta think up a story that fits within the 2 hour timeframe.

Putinbot1
Most work better as a tv show, Problem with doing them as a movie gotta think up a story that fits within the 2 hour timeframe. Or do the arc as a number of movies, remember the shared universies are sort of doing this, just less coherently than shows or comics because apart from Cap they did not interlinked the individual franchise story like comics do. GotG to a point also did this.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Surtur
Scorcese comes off like a whiny b*tch of an old man.

For his next trick is he gonna lament that rap music isn't "real" music?

Perfect expert analysis.

Spoken like a true triggered fanboy.

thumb down

Darth Thor
Scorcese is the one who proposed the the Joker film to WB.

Flyattractor
In a way Scorsese is right. MCU is pretty much McDonalds of the Cienema. Safe and Boring with plenty of Soy in their Meat.

Adam Grimes
It's funny that he says that considering his castings always go for big names, not good talents.

Surtur
Perfect expert analysis.

Spoken like a true triggered fanboy.

thumb down

Lol, no really u thought this was an example of being triggered?

NemeBro
Surtur doesn't really give a shit about the MCU though.

And he's right, at least in the sense that the "MCU isn't cinema" stance is just a whiny old man being a whiny old man. I agree with a lot of what Scorsese is saying about the MCU's content, but I'm not so much of a butt pirate I don't think they're cinema.

Adam Grimes
Yes, you are

Surtur
Originally posted by NemeBro

And he's right, at least in the sense that the "MCU isn't cinema" stance is just a whiny old man being a whiny old man. I agree with a lot of what Scorsese is saying about the MCU's content, but I'm not so much of a butt pirate I don't think they're cinema.

Boom. I give two shits about the MCU, they do produce some entertaining movies but it's not enough to give me a creepy loyalty to them.

I just think Martin sounds like a bitter old man.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by NemeBro

And he's right, at least in the sense that the "MCU isn't cinema" stance is just a whiny old man being a whiny old man. I agree with a lot of what Scorsese is saying about the MCU's content, but I'm not so much of a butt pirate I don't think they're cinema. This is true.

Putinbot1
Boom. I give two shits about the MCU, they do produce some entertaining movies but it's not enough to give me a creepy loyalty to them.

I just think Martin sounds like a bitter old man. This is also true.

Patient_Leech

That's basically how I feel, except they've also made some utter shit, like Captain Marvel. Of course, no one except quanch gives them creepy loyalty. lol

I just think Martin sounds like a bitter old man.

I'm just saying it's idiotic to write off such an accomplished filmmaker's opinion as just a "whiny bi#ch of an old man" (in your beautifully eloquent words). Obviously he cares about the integrity of film as an artform and not just a themepark machine for sucking money out of teens and fanboys. He probably would have felt the same way in his 30s, so being in his 70s likely has nothing to do with it. I think he could have qualified his statement a little bit more (for example it's obviously still cinema, just kitsch), but it is just a short blurb.

So yeah, you don't have to agree with him, but he has a point. A very good point.

Josh_Alexander
Link

The old man is delusional.

Psychotron
He's right. Marvel is the McDonald's of cinema. Cheap and unhealthy.

Surtur
That's basically how I feel, except they've also made some utter shit, like Captain Marvel. Of course, no one except quanch gives them creepy loyalty. lol

Captain Marvel has grown on me after repeated viewings, but still yeah it's not up to the caliber of most marvel films.

If he cares about the integrity of film as an artform I'm not sure why he hasn't made similar comments about rom coms. Or hell most comedies in general wouldn't uphold the integrity of film as an art form. And forget marvel for a second, his logic would apply to all movies that are just mindless action movies. Hope you aren't a fan of the Fast and Furious franchise.

And I disagree I don't think he has a point. A shitty movie or a hugely successful movie that is good but lacks depth do not somehow take away from films with "integrity". What about some of his films? Is a cliche mob movie like "The Departed" a movie with integrity? Don't get me wrong, I like the film, but it's not like it brings anything new to the genre. And likewise I feel the upcoming "The Irishman" will be good, but I also am not expecting anything new to be brought to the genre.

Patient_Leech
If he cares about the integrity of film as an artform I'm not sure why he hasn't made similar comments about rom coms. Or hell most comedies in general wouldn't uphold the integrity of film as an art form.

Romance, drama, comedy, etc... all fundamentally based on real-world human experience and emotion.

Nice try, though.

Surtur
Romance, drama, comedy, etc... all fundamentally based on real-world human experience and emotion.

Nice try, though.

So Eurotrip has integrity, but Avengers Infinity War does not?

EDIT: Also are you saying a movie must have real world human experience and emotion for it to have integrity?

Patient_Leech
You just like to argue, Surt. Of course you can quibble over specific films.

But the point (that you seem to be missing) is that Avengers is a theme park ride not based in reality and comedy/romance, etc is based in reality.

That's his point, and it's a good one. I'm sorry it goes over your head.

Surtur
You just like to argue, Surt. Of course you can quibble over specific films.

But the point (that you seem to be missing) is that Avengers is a theme park ride not based in reality and comedy/romance, etc is based in reality.

That's his point, and it's a good one. I'm sorry it goes over your head.

I'm not missing his point I just disagree.

Drsoe08
Francis Ford Coppola joins the fight hahaha

https://news.yahoo.com/coppola-backs-scorsese-row-over-marvel-films-173112180.html

"When Martin Scorsese says that the Marvel pictures are not cinema, he's right because we expect to learn something from cinema, we expect to gain something, some enlightenment, some knowledge, some inspiration. I don't know that anyone gets anything out of seeing the same movie over and over again, Martin was kind when he said it's not cinema. He didn't say it's despicable, which I just say it is."

Mindset
But it's literally cinema.

Not that I don't agree mostly with their sentiment.

Flyattractor
Its like when you say Restaurant. TECHNICALLY McDonalds can be grouped in with places like Cheesecake Factory.

Now where near the same thing but TECHNICALLY....

Kazenji

https://news.yahoo.com/coppola-backs-scorsese-row-over-marvel-films-173112180.html

"When Martin Scorsese says that the Marvel pictures are not cinema, he's right because we expect to learn something from cinema, we expect to gain something, some enlightenment, some knowledge, some inspiration. I don't know that anyone gets anything out of seeing the same movie over and over again, Martin was kind when he said it's not cinema. He didn't say it's despicable, which I just say it is."

So what Coppola is saying we're not aloud to have some fun when we go to the movies, Always has be some educational experience.

riv6672

Says the guy who milked The Godfather for HOW many sequels?
And gave us the cinematic classic Captain EO...:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c0/4a/e0/c04ae0f8d188882e312cfe5e089e500a.jpg

Pot. Kettle. Black.

ares834
How does making sequels equate at all with what he is saying?

You don't have to agree with him. But nothing he stated was hypocritical in the slightest.

Surtur
I just don't think it is up to any one person to try to define what cinema is. And you can certainly learn things from a Marvel film.

Darth Thor
Lol the more the Marvel fans get triggered over others opinions, the more big names are gonna speak out against Marvel.

playa1258
The fanatical fanbase of the MCU is now becoming an easy target.

Silent Master
Looks more like it's the "big names" that are triggered.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Silent Master
Looks more like it's the "big names" that are triggered.

Seems like you just got triggered by me calling them big names. If so youve ironically just proven whose getting more triggered.

Silent Master
Seems more like you got triggered by me using "".

Bentley
Wow, I'd never thought the MCU fans would be so full of salt

Surtur
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Lol the more the Marvel fans get triggered over others opinions, the more big names are gonna speak out against Marvel.

It's the opposite, it comes off once again like grouchy old men whining. Plus when you've made Godfather 3 you have no room to talk shit.

Surtur

Bashar Teg
pretty sure scorcese wasn't trying to convince people to not enjoy their popcorn action flicks, but was just calling it out for what it is. I for one can take his meaning and still enjoy mcu movies

Surtur
And people are calling out his comments for what they are as well.

And didn't you just make a comment about strawmanning earlier? Nobody said they couldn't enjoy these films anymore because of this.

Just like I was still able to enjoy gangster films even after watching Godfather 3.

Robtard
Originally posted by playa1258
The fanatical fanbase of the MCU is now becoming an easy target.

Bingo.

I didn't fully agree with Scorsese's point about being/not being cinema, but I'm not bothered by what he said, just his opinion. people need to chill, Scorsese didn't rape anyone with his words, so stop acting that way.

Surtur
You're flailing.

Robtard
You're flailing.

Was that directed at me?

If so: Huh?

Surtur
I didn't see you bingo a comment that was incorrect? My bad, must have been another poster with a similar avatar.

Robtard
I didn't see you bingo a comment that was incorrect? My bad, must have been another poster with a similar avatar.

Oh, you got trig'd because I agreed with another poster's correct assessment. Par for the course. Meh.

Surtur
You're flailing again.

Darth Thor
And we have another one:

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/ken-loach-marvel-superhero-films-boring-and-nothing-to-do-with-art-of-cinema-11841486

Keep up the bitching everyone. Its just getting these guys more and more support.

Inhuman
The funny thing is people actually being surprised and rooting for one side or the other like this is some huge thing that is shaking up the industry lol.
This has literally happened every decade/eras in cinema.
The difference is now we have the internet and social media to get their word out to everyone and shills from both camps blowing it out of proportion.

Old time directors used to shit on Speilberg and his movies the same way all these current old timers are doing so.
Every generation has these over hill directors that dont want to get with the times and want to do things the old way and will never accept anything else.

Especially if they cant get their current movie wide released other than to a streaming service. Of coarse they will be salty and try to look for whatever is popular to blame for their issues their movies are having.

Movies, Art, Music, ect is subjective and their isnt only just one way to do them.
If that were the case then all movies would be gangster flicks starting Deniro. Not that anything is wrong with those movies.

Again, nothing New here.

Surtur
And we have another one:

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/ken-loach-marvel-superhero-films-boring-and-nothing-to-do-with-art-of-cinema-11841486

Keep up the bitching everyone. Its just getting these guys more and more support.

Okay now it's starting to sound like butthurt over not being as popular.

Robtard
And we have another one:

Don't even know who that is so the joke's on him!

Silent Master
Their salt level is over 9,000.

ares834
And we have another one:

A literal who.

Surtur
And we have another one:

"Keep up the bitching everyone"-Guy who just linked to story about old man bitching

Surtur
Originally posted by Silent Master
Their salt level is over 9,000.

I think I'm sensing a pattern from these salty folk: we are seeing movie virtue signaling. Directors wanting to show us all they care about "real" cinema, not this "crap" that is more popular(for the moment) and making more money than a lot of their own films. Now we see people most have never heard of trying to get in on it. Well the guy is british so maybe he's the Spielberg of the brits and they all know his name.

Which is another way of saying they'd prefer these movies to fail. After all, the problem isn't the mere existence of these films. Martin Scorcese never felt the need to opine about that shitty Fantastic Four film from the 90's. The problem is the popularity. And film directors hoping the movies of other directors fail cuz they don't like the genre sounds quite bitter.

SquallX

Surtur

SquallX

Insane Titan

Darth Thor

Darth Thor
^ Also Surtur the difference is theyre not bitching about you. But you are about them. Theyre just expressing their opinions which insecure fans are losing their shit over.

Don't even know who that is so the joke's on him!

Actually its not. Because by making that comment he just got publicity for whatever da f*** film hes making.

Surtur
See that is where you are wrong. He willingly gave an interview, a topic was created on it, and we are discussing it. Some agree with them, some disagree. Nobody has "lost their shit".

Even if you disagree with me saying "yeah these are a bunch of grumpy old men", that is not someone losing their shit.

An example of someone losing their shit over this would be if they swore off watching anymore Scorcese films because of these comments.

Surtur

Robtard
^ Also Surtur the difference is theyre not bitching about you. But you are about them. Theyre just expressing their opinions which insecure fans are losing their shit over.

Actually its not. Because by making that comment he just got publicity for whatever da f*** film hes making.

Bingo.

I was just having a laugh and I looked him up; his upcoming films looks like it might be decent, so well played, old director man.

Surtur
Can you quote the posts of people losing their shit?

Bashar Teg

surt's unable to cope with differing opinion's and needs to resort to personal attacks and accusations. a true mark of emotional maturity.

Surtur
https://i.imgur.com/hzChx03.jpg

Yup.

Bashar Teg
nah, I said nothing about/towards you, and you got offended and went on a personal attack, as you did with several other people here, like a massive phaggot thumb down

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by Psychotron
He's right. Marvel is the McDonald's of cinema. Cheap and unhealthy.

Cheap? That's just BS, many Marvel movies are more costly than other genres!

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/avengers-endgame-expensive-film.html/

Unhealthy? Why?

Surtur
nah, I said nothing about/towards you, and you got offended and went on a personal attack, as you did with several other people here, like a massive phaggot thumb down

You're describing behavior you've done yourself countless times. The fact you didn't do it in this specific thread doesn't mean I can't point out the hypocrisy.

And it seems people are "losing their shit" cuz I said these guys were grumpy. Oh well.

https://media.giphy.com/media/5qItPbGWz9ogo/giphy.gif

SquallX

Surtur
Why does disagreeing mean someone is mad? A celebrity made public comments and people reacted.

Bashar Teg
You're describing behavior you've done yourself countless times. The fact you didn't do it in this specific thread doesn't mean I can't point out the hypocrisy.

And it seems people are "losing their shit" cuz I said these guys were grumpy. Oh well.

OverusedMemez.gif

I get it squirt:. "whaaaa your opinion which has nothing to do with me hurt my wittle fee-fees".

you're a grown man. try acting like one and your life might improve.

Surtur
I get it squirt:. "whaaaa your opinion hurt my wittle fee-fees".

you're a grown man. try acting like one and your life might improve.

I get it, you don't wanna face your own behavior and instead want to project onto others. Your sisters did a number on you bro thumb up

SquallX
Why does disagreeing mean someone is mad? A celebrity made public comments and people reacted.

I guess mad was the wrong word.

Putinbot1
Francis Ford Coppola snagged Marvel off too

Bashar Teg
gonna be a shame when all the angry mcu fans boycott all those scorcese and coppola films that they never saw.

Surtur
It's true I am boycotting Godfather 3.

Putinbot1
gonna be a shame when all the angry mcu fans boycott all those scorcese and coppola films that they never saw. haha, thing is they are right. Marvel films now the novelty has warn off are shite. They are not as good as the comics. Now if they'd slagged off Titans, Doom Patrol or the Boys I might take issue, but the MCU, whilst fun at times, is mostly vacuous.

Kazenji
haha, thing is they are right. Marvel films now the novelty has warn off are shite. They are not as good as the comics. .

Then stop expecting them to be

i treat the MCU as another universe, No different to what we got from Marvel with the Ultimate comics line with it's different take on character's.

Surtur
Ah "not as good as the comics". The new "book was bettah than the movie".

Darth Thor
I prefer cartoons to both.

Still theres nothing quite like the spectacle of seeing all that stuff in live action and on a big screen.

And at least I get to talk to any and all of my friends/family about the movies. Not so much when it comes to the comics.

Bashar Teg
Ah "not as good as the comics". The new "book was bettah than the movie".

I agree that it is a ridiculous standard inflict on filmmakers: to expect them to create film adaptations which equal the storytelling quality of their literary source material.

even though scorcese and coppola have repeatedly accomplished just that

smile

Surtur
Your opinion has been noted.

cdtm

By his standards, I bet that's high praise, compared to everything else out there.

Imagine what he'd say about the post Disney Star Wars franchise.

Putinbot1
I agree that it is a ridiculous standard inflict on filmmakers: to expect them to create film adaptations which equal the storytelling quality of their literary source material.

even though scorcese and coppola have repeatedly accomplished just that

smile Sometimes films even exceed books, like the Shawshank Redemption

NemeBro
Or Civil War. thumb up smile

Bashar Teg
Sometimes films even exceed books, like the Shawshank Redemption

and watchmen.

I KID! I KID!

still enjoyed it though

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>