US diplomat killing people protected by the US

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

gold slorg
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/harry-dunn-crash-us-diplomat-wife-anne-sacoolas-pm-boris-johnson-diplomatic-immunity-today-2019-10-07/

this is insanely outrageous, i'm outright mad as hell, i sincerely hope the UK will not let this scum go away with it

since Johnson never really cared for more hardcore politics, I hope they will kick the US embassy from the country if this scum isn't returned

Surtur
I had always thought diplomatic immunity didn't apply to serious crimes.

gold slorg
same, it's outrageous, especially since the US courts could say she comes back to face what she's done, it's insane

Surtur
I think it still could be true...she was driving the wrong way down the street and hit and killed someone. You wouldn't be charged with murder for that.

If she'd just went up and shot a girl I doubt she'd have been allowed to leave.

Not even gonna comment on the british person driving the wrong way, too easy.

shiv
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/spy-wife-who-fled-britain-20532715

US spy wife who fled Britain after crash that killed teen has driving conviction

EXCLUSIVE: Anne Sacoolas,, who allegedly knocked Harry Dunn, 19, off his bike near RAF Croughton, Northamptonshire, was fined years previously in Virginia, US, for "failure to pay full time and attention"

eThneoLgrRnae
Originally posted by Surtur
I had always thought diplomatic immunity didn't apply to serious crimes.

You would think so wouldn't you? I agree it wouldn't make much sense to be immune from prosecution after, for example, you murdered a half-dozen people in front of a hundred witnesses and was only deported as a punishment.

I know in the movies (at least the ones I've seen) diplomats are totally immune no matter the crime; it would be f***ed-up if it's the same IRL.

ares834
Pretty sure diplomatic immunity does apply to virtually everything. Of course, in a horrific case, I'd expect many countries would waive immunity or the country where the crime was committed would detain the person regardless.

Originally posted by gold slorg
since Johnson never really cared for more hardcore politics, I hope they will kick the US embassy from the country if this scum isn't returned

You would have to be brain dead to think this is a good idea.

cdtm
It does apply to everything, and for good reason.

Look up the Dikko affair. The US action, and consequences of said action, is exactly why we have diplomatic immunity.

In short, because if we don't respect their people, they won't respect our people. That guy you prosecuted for murder, now results in an execution of several of our engineers abroad for trumped up charges.

cdtm
"No, I have no plans to leave."

Hey, maybe she really didn't, and changed her mind? eek!

shiv
These Officers Need Her

The Family Liason Officers
The Investigating Officers
The Disclosure Officer
The Coroner's Officer
The Review Officer

Putinbot1
Originally posted by ares834
Pretty sure diplomatic immunity does apply to virtually everything. Of course, in a horrific case, I'd expect many countries would waive immunity or the country where the crime was committed would detain the person regardless.

You would have to be brain dead to think this is a good idea. it does apply to pretty much anything. Trust me on this.

cdtm
Originally posted by Putinbot1
it does apply to pretty much anything. Trust me on this.

Only as far as the host country accepts the risks of violating such, is worth more then adhering to it.

Logically speaking.

I'd imagine if a diplomat assassinated a high ranking politician, a country refusing to waive immunity would be treated as an act of war.

Surtur
I feel like whoever decided diplomatic immunity should allow one to get away with anything should be stabbed in the leg by someone with diplomatic immunity.

cdtm
I feel like whoever decided diplomatic immunity should allow one to get away with anything should be stabbed in the leg by someone with diplomatic immunity.

You've got to look at the big picture.

You're not protecting the diplomat. You're protecting OUR diplomats (And citizens abroad.)

Surtur
I don't wanna protect our diplomats from murder.

Robtard
Originally posted by gold slorg
same, it's outrageous, especially since the US courts could say she comes back to face what she's done, it's insane It seems Johnson called Trump and requested Trump waive Sacoolas' political immunity, so the UK can handle the matter internally, Trump declined and said Sacoolas would be 'spoken to'.

cdtm
I don't wanna protect our diplomats from murder.

And we shouldn't.

But if we put someone elses diplomat through our system, without their permission first, then they'll take our perfectly innocent diplomats and citizens in their country, and run them through their system, often on made up charges.

We know this, because that's exactly what happened when Britian tried and convicted a diplomat of kidnapping. Several of their engineers were arrested on trumped up charges in retaliation, and sentenced to 20-30 years.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.