Music industry more restrictive on "Fair Use"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
Ever notice how most Youtube takedowns rare due to music rights issues? There's a reason for that.

https://nmbx.newmusicusa.org/are-transformative-fair-use-principles-foul-to-musicians/

The article has a lot more content, too much to post. Worth reading for specific historical cases and how music copyright law evolved, and getting some insight into how "Fair Use" is nearly impossible to win in your average videos (It's so bad, even Weird Al seeks permission first. Rewritten lyrics aren't enough. And you need to comment on the music itself, in strictest readings of the law, so no background music of an unrelated video.)

jaden_2.0
I follow Paul Davids on YouTube. He's had a very difficult time the last couple of years trying to make a living due to this.

shiv
Why has Paul Davids been having a difficult time on YouTube?

Edit:

I Get It.

I understand him now.

jaden_2.0
His videos get demonitized any time he uses a copyrighted piece of music despite him clearly using it under fair use for teaching guitar. Even when he doesn't use the original music or live recordings of the artist and it's his own playing and he's only playing small sections to demonstrate technique he gets copyright strike.

His best one was getting a copyright strike for a piece of music he wrote that someone stole from him, added singing and released it on YouTube. His original video then got flagged as ripping off the people who stole his music.

cdtm
How does that work?

I assume the people who stole it somehow registered the music as theirs? Couldn't he have done that initially, to protect himself?

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by cdtm
How does that work?

I assume the people who stole it somehow registered the music as theirs? Couldn't he have done that initially, to protect himself?

YouTube uses an automated system called Content ID to compare uploads.

You don't have to register anything for copyright. Simply by virtue of you creating something you are protected. It's not like Trademarks.

jaden_2.0
Here's his 2 videos discussing the issue

JwG0bQ7WC3c

YvH77m_3MVU

Flyattractor
Man.. Those EVIL RIGHT WING CONSERVATIVES that run the Interweb and Music Industry.....

cdtm
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
YouTube uses an automated system called Content ID to compare uploads.

You don't have to register anything for copyright. Simply by virtue of you creating something you are protected. It's not like Trademarks.

At work,.so can't see the video's.

Does it go into how he ended up getting the short end, even though he posted first?

jaden_2.0
Not into detail. Just that it's the automated system.

The other video is more generalised and more interesting tbh.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.