Can Superman Replicate Thor's glacier shattering feat?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage
https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/original/11140/111400721/7108593-6549268-0431289236-unacc.gif

*Clark has to do it with a single strike
*Clark is standard morals
*Same circumstances Thor faced

Does he replicate the feat, or have any striking feat comparable?

Psychotron
I don't see why not. His strength feats are vastly superior.

Khazra Reborn
Probably not.

FrothByte
Not with a single short hit like that. Superman can easily punch a hole through the ground (probably easier than Thor can) and he can cut swaths of ice with his heat vision but he doesn't have an AOE-type attack that can mimic Thor's lightning slam.

Psychotron
If he slams into the ground at Flash-level speed with his strength he can do a lot more damage. Simple physics.

FrothByte
Originally posted by Psychotron
If he slams into the ground at Flash-level speed with his strength he can do a lot more damage. Simple physics.

No, if he does that at Flash-like speed then chances are he'll just blast a hole clean through the ice.

NotAllThatEvil
He accidentally flew through a mountain, so depending on how high he's allowed to go, I think he can

Silent Master
Did him flying through the mountain cause a massive shockwave, reaching hundreds if not thousands of yards, like Thor's lightning amped strike?

Surtur
Well keep in mind Thor wasn't just striking with his own strength, he had a magic hammer too. So how can we say anything he does with that hammer is all him? I mean it usually doesn't matter cuz he's always gonna have his hammer, but if the intent of the thread is to compare the physical strength of both...Superman doesn't have the added advantage of a magic hammer.

But either way yeah probably Superman can.

Let me put it another way: if they arm wrestled Superman wins.

FrothByte
Originally posted by Surtur
Well keep in mind Thor wasn't just striking with his own strength, he had a magic hammer too. So how can we say anything he does with that hammer is all him? I mean it usually doesn't matter cuz he's always gonna have his hammer, but if the intent of the thread is to compare the physical strength of both...Superman doesn't have the added advantage of a magic hammer.

But either way yeah probably Superman can.

Let me put it another way: if they arm wrestled Superman wins.

I don't believe the intent of the thread is to compare the physical strength of both. It's simply asking if Superman can replicate the feat with a single hit.

Surtur
If that is the case why not give him the hammer too?

Silent Master
Why give him a hammer he most likely can't use?

BruceSkywalker
until supes has those feats the answer will always be hell no.. amd since the dceu is dead then we will never ever know

Surtur
Originally posted by Silent Master
Why give him a hammer he most likely can't use?

You could easily stipulate for the match he can use it.

And I think if he did use it he'd cause even more damage than Thor did, agreed?

relentless1
well no, Superman can't replicate that feat really... cuz he doesn't have a weapon... that's like shitting on a regular human for not being able to do to concrete what a sledgehammer in another guys hands can

Surtur
Originally posted by relentless1
well no, Superman can't replicate that feat really... cuz he doesn't have a weapon... that's like shitting on a regular human for not being able to do to concrete what a sledgehammer in another guys hands can

I actually agree, there is no real triumph if Thor can do this with a magic plot device from daddy and Superman can't.

FrothByte
I actually agree, there is no real triumph if Thor can do this with a magic plot device from daddy and Superman can't.

The damage output of Thor was more due to his lightning than the hammer. And his lightning comes from him. Hating on Thor for using his lightning is like hating on Superman for using his heat vision or flight.

FrothByte
If that is the case why not give him the hammer too?

Because that wasn't the point of the thread.

Surtur
I'm not hating on thor for using his lightning. I will point out that further contributes to my "this wasn't pure physical strength" claim. He needs a magic hammer and his own lightning.

FrothByte
I'm not hating on thor for using his lightning. I will point out that further contributes to my "this wasn't pure physical strength" claim. He needs a magic hammer and his own lightning.

I don't believe anyone here claimed it was a pure physical strength feat. You're the only one who's mentioned that so far.

Still, Thor's lightning is part of him and his powerset. Mjolnir is considered standard gear for him. The question remains: Can Superman replicate the feat?

Surtur
My answer is yes he can and if he had a magic hammer he'd embarrass Thor with the destruction caused.

Silent Master
You could easily stipulate for the match he can use it.

And I think if he did use it he'd cause even more damage than Thor did, agreed?

Then it wouldn't be Superman replicating the feat. it would be Thor replicating it, since it's Thor's power being used.

Originally posted by FrothByte
The damage output of Thor was more due to his lightning than the hammer. And his lightning comes from him. Hating on Thor for using his lightning is like hating on Superman for using his heat vision or flight.

Or strength, speed, durability etc etc etc. Superman fans can't handle Thor being able to do something he can't.

My answer is yes he can and if he had a magic hammer he'd embarrass Thor with the destruction caused.

Which he doesn't have, so the answer is "No, he can't".

Silent Master

Surtur
But I'm not hating on him just pointing out the differences. I enjoy seeing Thor smash shit with his hammer.

Silent Master
Right, you just don't like that Superman can't replicate the feat, so you want him to be granted Mjolnir and Thor's power for the duration of this thread.

Surtur
Just say he's the greatest!

Silent Master
He's the greatest murderer.

NotAllThatEvil
Then he'll murder the heck out of that iceberg. Don't be mad that he is superior to thor in every way

FrothByte
Ok, so what feat does Superman have where he created a shockwave of similar magnitude?

h1a8
Originally posted by carthage
https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/original/11140/111400721/7108593-6549268-0431289236-unacc.gif

Does he replicate the feat, or have any striking feat comparable? This thread makes no sense.

A continuous strike = a single strike.
Thor hit the ground with a continuous flow of lightning.

NotAllThatEvil
You mean besides the massive shock wave that leveled a skyscraper in his fight with zod?

FrothByte
Originally posted by NotAllThatEvil
You mean besides the massive shock wave that leveled a skyscraper in his fight with zod?

You mean the shockwave that wasn't anywhere as big as Thor's Jotunheim buster?

NotAllThatEvil
Looks comparable to me in size to the initial impact. Since the ice is collapsing into something, I figured that thor just took some sort of load bearing portion

Silent Master
Originally posted by h1a8
This thread makes no sense.

A continuous strike = a single strike.
Thor hit the ground with a continuous flow of lightning.

IOW, Superman can't replicate the feat.

h1a8
IOW, Superman can't replicate the feat.

That's not the question for the thread. Reading comprehension is essential.

FrothByte
Looks comparable to me in size to the initial impact. Since the ice is collapsing into something, I figured that thor just took some sort of load bearing portion

Just so we're both clear on what feat you mean, can you post it?

Silent Master
That's not the question for the thread. Reading comprehension is essential.

Yes, it is.

Psychotron
The damage output of Thor was more due to his lightning than the hammer. And his lightning comes from him.

How did Captain America use lightning on Thanos then?

Silent Master
Because of Odin's enchantment, which grants those worthy the power of Thor.

Psychotron
Because of Odin's enchantment, which grants those worthy the power of Thor.

Which means Superman with hammer would be able to produce lightning too.

Silent Master
The OP doesn't state anything about Superman having Mjolnir. let alone him being worthy.

playa1258
Easily.

Psychotron
The OP doesn't state anything about Superman having Mjolnir. let alone him being worthy.

I'm aware. Superman doesn't need the hammer.

Silent Master
Originally posted by playa1258
Easily.

Yes, Superman easily fails.

h1a8
Yes, it is.

No it isn't. You are leaving out certain conditions. Under the conditions Superman can achieve the feat. But almost anyone can with continuous blast ability.

Silent Master
No it isn't. You are leaving out certain conditions. Under the conditions Superman can achieve the feat. But almost anyone can with continuous blast ability.

No, I'm following the conditions, you're making things up. as usual.

LordGod
I'd also note that the landscape Thor busted was hollow, as we saw a bit later in the scene-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpo-ZmfsbhQ&t=0m50s

So his bolt really just set of a chain reaction that destroyed the top layer of ice.

FrothByte
Which means Superman with hammer would be able to produce lightning too.

No he wouldn't. He would specifically need Mjolnir, not just a hammer. And I don't see any stips in OP that grants him Mjolnir.

Silent Master
Originally posted by LordGod
I'd also note that the landscape Thor busted was hollow, as we saw a bit later in the scene-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpo-ZmfsbhQ&t=0m50s

So his bolt really just set of a chain reaction that destroyed the top layer of ice.

A cave was shown under part of it, that doesn't mean it was completely hollow. after all, mountains also have caves, are you claiming that mountains are hollow?

Josh_Alexander
Interesting.

We know that Ice is, for the most part, a brittle element. However, the scene is impressive because it wasn't a small portion of Ice being shattered, but actually, we see a chain reaction in where a vast surface of Jotunheim succumbs.

However, a lightning power resides in that of electricity and heat, not only raw impact. So, the feat isn't one of raw impact, like a punch.

So, can Superman replicate the exact same feat? Will the ice crumble the same way?

I don't see evidence to believe such. They are different attacks and the Ice should react differently.

LordGod
A cave was shown under part of it, that doesn't mean it was completely hollow. after all, mountains also have caves, are you claiming that mountains are hollow? Faulty comparison.

The "glacier" Thor's bolt crumbled was hollow. There was nothing but dead space under the first several feet of ice. It didn't just have a few small stray caves running through thousands of feet of solid ice, lol. Also, rock=/=ice.

What I'm saying is that the feat would have been much more impressive if the landscape had actually been a solid block of ice and not just an icy shell.

Silent Master
So the ice was just floating there with nothing to support it, that means it must have been supported by magic.

So, Thor's feats is now collapsing a large area of magical ice. thanks for making his feat much more impressive.

LordGod
You're....not good at this. confused

Watch the vid I posted FFS. The upper surface of ice was being supported by a handful of ice pillars underneath-
https://i.postimg.cc/bwBJkM82/1.jpg

THAT is what his bolt crumbled.

"magical ice". Lol. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Silent Master
That only shows a very small area, kind of like a cave. thanks for proving me right.

LordGod
You're an idiot.

I suggest actually watching the movie. smile

Silent Master
I have, it was a cave.

NotAllThatEvil
Just so we're both clear on what feat you mean, can you post it?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jv09Mo1X9RA about 3 minutes in when zod is crawling up the building

FrothByte
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jv09Mo1X9RA about 3 minutes in when zod is crawling up the building

Yeah, that's the one I was looking at as well. It definitely did not "level" that building. It took out a good chunk off the side but that's about it. The area of the initial impact was all that was damaged, whereas Thor's slam had continuous and far reaching repercussions.

I will say though that this feat is still impressive in that Superman and Zod didn't hit the building directly but that the damage was due to the force of their collision. However, it still pales in comparison to the destruction that Thor did.

NotAllThatEvil
Yeah, because thor struck a hollow iceberg that collapsed in on itself because he took out the support.

LordGod
Bingo. thumb up

Realistically all you'd have to do is take out a few of those pillars and the entire thing would then collapse in a domino effect. Pretty obvious that's what happened there IMO.

Afterall, we've seen Thor's lightning attacks strike the -solid- ground on several other occasions and it didn't cause anywhere near that level of collateral damage.

Khazra Reborn
The length some of you homos go to, to try and go to discredit anything Thor does is hysterical. laughing out loud

h1a8
No, I'm following the conditions, you're making things up. as usual.

Thor did it with a continuous blast of energy. It was ONE blast and therefore ONE strike. Therefore Superman can do it with One continuous strike of HV.

Josh_Alexander
Bingo. thumb up

Realistically all you'd have to do is take out a few of those pillars and the entire thing would then collapse in a domino effect. Pretty obvious that's what happened there IMO.

Afterall, we've seen Thor's lightning attacks strike the -solid- ground on several other occasions and it didn't cause anywhere near that level of collateral damage.

Although I agree with Jotunheim's surface being hollow and supported by pilars, the OP has stated that Superman has to replicate the feat in one strike.

In that aspect, he won't be able to cause the amount of damage the lightning did, as a direct impact from, per say, a punch would cause likely cause a straight through hole and not really a ripple effect.

The ripple effect was caused by massive amounts of electricity flowing through the ice and weakening several pilars, not just one.

Josh_Alexander
Thor did it with a continuous blast of energy. It was ONE blast and therefore ONE strike. Therefore Superman can do it with One continuous strike of HV.

If heat vision comes to bear, then you'd have a point, but the effect on the ice would be different though.

NotAllThatEvil
Originally posted by Josh_Alexander
Although I agree with Jotunheim's surface being hollow and supported by pilars, the OP has stated that Superman has to replicate the feat in one strike.

In that aspect, he won't be able to cause the amount of damage the lightning did, as a direct impact from, per say, a punch would cause likely cause a straight through hole and not really a ripple effect.

The ripple effect was caused by massive amounts of electricity flowing through the ice and weakening several pilars, not just one.
I didn't see any lightning after the initial strike

FrothByte
Yeah, because thor struck a hollow iceberg that collapsed in on itself because he took out the support.

Yeah, because buildings are not hollow themselves right?

NotAllThatEvil
That's why I'm saying it's a similar feat. The initial shock wave is about the same size(when debris is being tossed into the air when thor strikes, not collapsing in on itself) and both lead to the structure collapsing.

FrothByte
That's why I'm saying it's a similar feat. The initial shock wave is about the same size(when debris is being tossed into the air when thor strikes, not collapsing in on itself) and both lead to the structure collapsing.

Except the building didn't collapse. It took out a chunk off the face of the building but it didn't collapse. Thor's hit took out a good chunk off the face of the tundra but then also continued to collapse the surrounding area.

LordGod

The ripple effect was caused by massive amounts of electricity flowing through the ice and weakening several pilars, not just one. Given the context of Thor's feat, I think it's conceivable that Superman doing something like this to Jotunheim's surface-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JsJUWrCa2s&t=2m8s

Could absolutely weaken a few of the underlying pillars and cause a domino effect that crumbles the entire surface, like Thor's lightning blast did. Rock>ice, afterall, and Superman shattered the top of that mountain just by accidentally falling into it.

Silent Master

No, because HV would just melt through the ice, not cause a massive shockwave.

Given the context of Thor's feat, I think it's conceivable that Superman doing something like this to Jotunheim's surface-

Could absolutely weaken a few of the underlying pillars and cause a domino effect that crumbles the entire surface, like Thor's lightning blast did. Rock>ice, afterall, and Superman shattered the top of that mountain just by accidentally falling into it.

How would Superman do that with one strike to the surface?

LordGod
How would Superman do that with one strike to the surface? If he just punches the surface from a standing position, he probably can't.

But the OP asks if he has -ANY- striking feat comparable. And if he struck the surface of Jotunheim like he struck that mountain, it's conceivable that he could weaken some of the underlying pillars and cause a domino effect that crumbles the entire surface, like Thor's lightning blast did.

Surtur
He's the greatest murderer.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/gVoBC0SuaHStq/giphy.gif

Silent Master
Almost anything is "conceivable" that doesn't mean it's likely to happen. even assuming Superman's impact causes enough damage to start a chain reaction. where is your proof that sed reaction would spread as far as Thor's?

LordGod
a.] There's no tangible "proof" that anyone can provide here, genius. Superman is a DC character, and obviously will never be in a position to fight frost giants on Jotunheim in the MCU, lol. All we can do is logically speculate and scale based on the feats he has preformed.

b.] Once the collapse is initiated by way of weakening the underlying ice pillars, basic engineering dictates that the entire structure is going to collapse as a result. That's how Thor's bolt brought down the surface; that's how Superman's "mountain strike" could conceivably do the same.

Silent Master
a)Thanks for admitting you have no proof.

b)So your claim is that if a structure for example is 1,000 miles long. it losing a couple support pillars from one tiny section will cause the entire 1,000 mile long structure to collapse?

LordGod
You're an idiot.

I suggest actually watching the movie. smile ^^This.

Not wasting any more time addressing your nonpoints. You "debate" like you're 6 years old, lol.

Silent Master
Yes, demanding proof of claims is certainly how most 6 year olds argue, rather than adults who resort to insults when they don't get their way.

h1a8
No, because HV would just melt through the ice, not cause a massive shockwave.

How would Superman do that with one strike to the surface?

Lightning is hot too. I didn't see any Shockwave. Even so, once enough ice is melted the structure will collapse. Superman can take all day if he wants. As long as it's ONE continuous blast.

FrothByte
Lightning is hot too. I didn't see any Shockwave. Even so, once enough ice is melted the structure will collapse. Superman can take all day if he wants. As long as it's ONE continuous blast.

A single strike is not the same as a single continuous blast. Thus the descriptive word "continuous".

Silent Master

Prove that Superman can fire a blast for that long.

h1a8
A single strike is not the same as a single continuous blast. Thus the descriptive word "continuous".

Of course it's the same. Thor's blast was continuous. OP is implying that it is a single strike

h1a8
Prove that Superman can fire a blast for that long.

It would take probably a few seconds. Surely Superman can fire for that long.

Silent Master
It would take probably a few seconds. Surely Superman can fire for that long.

Prove that it would only take a few seconds.

h1a8
Prove that it would only take a few seconds.

The feat where the HV cuts the Ibeam in half with a swipe.

Silent Master
The feat where the HV cuts the Ibeam in half with a swipe.

How is that proof he can replicate the glacier shattering feat?

FrothByte
Of course it's the same. Thor's blast was continuous. OP is implying that it is a single strike

Wrong. I don't think you know what continuous actually means.

h1a8
How is that proof he can replicate the glacier shattering feat? Steel>>>Ice

h1a8
Wrong. I don't think you know what continuous actually means.

The lightning was a continuous flow of energy. If you disagree then the debate is over. I'm not about to waste my time on you trolling the thread.

Silent Master
Steel>>>Ice

Ok, but how does that prove his heat vision can replicate the glacier shattering feat?

Surtur
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
The length some of you homos go to, to try and go to discredit anything Thor does is hysterical. laughing out loud

Hey bro I'm not discrediting anything Thor did with his incredibly powerful plot device hammer stick out tongue

Silent Master
Hey bro I'm not discrediting anything Thor did with his incredibly powerful plot device hammer stick out tongue

Yep, you're admitting that Thor is so powerful that Superman would be jealous. smokin'

Surtur
How could Superman not be jealous of the mass murder potential of that hammer?

Silent Master
True.

Psychotron
Thor literally beheaded Thanos and killed who knows how many mooks. Why are people still salty that MoS killed Zod?

Surtur
It's a joke there is no actual salt here.

I will point out the difference though for those legit bothered is Superman is generally thought of someone who doesn't kill no matter what. People do not view Thor like that.

Though it would have been silly for Superman to f*ck people over just to keep the moral high round, who is he...Captain Janeway?

Psychotron
I will point out the difference though for those legit bothered is Superman is generally thought of someone who doesn't kill no matter what.

Those people need to read that comic where he executes Zod and two other Kryptonians, then.

Josh_Alexander
Given the context of Thor's feat, I think it's conceivable that Superman doing something like this to Jotunheim's surface-

In order for that to happen, several pillars would have to be damaged. Now, a direct impact from Superman wouldn't cause the same effect on hollow ice than it did on solid rock.

The only way for Superman's impact to damage several pilars is through sismic waves derived from it. Now, sismic waves travel perfectly fine through very solid material like rock, but materials like ice would break and absorb such sismic waves.

So, I believe Superman's impact would rather have a clean penetration, rather than a surface wide effect.

I think using HV would be more effective to try replicate the feat.

cdtm
Do you mean without destroying the entire planet?

Surtur
Those people need to read that comic where he executes Zod and two other Kryptonians, then.

True, but that does drive him insane right? At least temporarily. What a pussy.

Silent Master
In order for that to happen, several pillars would have to be damaged. Now, a direct impact from Superman wouldn't cause the same effect on hollow ice than it did on solid rock.

The only way for Superman's impact to damage several pilars is through sismic waves derived from it. Now, sismic waves travel perfectly fine through very solid material like rock, but materials like ice would break and absorb such sismic waves.

So, I believe Superman's impact would rather have a clean penetration, rather than a surface wide effect.

I think using HV would be more effective to try replicate the feat.

Thing is, Superman doesn't know about the pillars.

Psychotron
True, but that does drive him insane right? At least temporarily. What a pussy.

He killed Doomsday later with his bare hands so he clearly developed a taste for it.

FrothByte
People pointing out destroying support pillars... why, do we see Thor actually destroy a whole bunch of support pillars?

Silent Master
People pointing out destroying support pillars... why, do we see Thor actually destroy a whole bunch of support pillars?

They're basically admitting that Superman can't really replicate the feat.

Surtur
He killed Doomsday later with his bare hands so he clearly developed a taste for it.

Nah that b*tch was so traumatized by that he died stick out tongue

h1a8
Ok, but how does that prove his heat vision can replicate the glacier shattering feat?

Because Superman can melt the ground/ice and cause instability where a domino effect will happen.

h1a8

He doesn't need to. His job is to replicate the feat. He's going to blast the surface into he achieves the result. Plus he has X-ray vision.

Silent Master
Because Superman can melt the ground/ice and cause instability where a domino effect will happen.

DCEU Superman doesn't use extreme wide angle blasts, all he'd do is melt a very small hole deep into the ice

h1a8
DCEU Superman doesn't use extreme wide angle blasts, all he'd do is melt a very small hole deep into the ice He doesn't need to. Either
1) A single beam will do exactly the same as the lightning (again lightning is hot too).
Or

2) Superman will swipe his HV around.

FrothByte
He doesn't need to. Either
1) A single beam will do exactly the same as the lightning (again lightning is hot too).
Or

1. Heat is not the only attribute of lightning... or did you not know that?

2. So you're saying he needs to spam his HV to achieve the same result? Yeah, I agree with you there.

Silent Master
He doesn't need to. Either
Or

He doesn't know about the pillars and thus has no reason to swipe his heat vision around.

h1a8
He doesn't know about the pillars and thus has no reason to swipe his heat vision around. Your logic is flawed. Remember this about whether he has the capacity to do so, and not will he decide to do so.

And that's assuming he needs to swipe his HV at all.

Silent Master
The thread is about whether or not Superman can replicate Thor's Glacier shattering feat. So far you provided no proof that he could and only a theoretical possibility of how he might possibly do something somewhat similar if he had prior knowledge that wasn't available to Thor.

h1a8
The thread is about whether or not Superman can replicate Thor's Glacier shattering feat. So far you provided no proof that he could and only a theoretical possibility of how he might possibly do something somewhat similar if he had prior knowledge that wasn't available to Thor.

The thread is about his capability of doing something. Anything other than that is trolling.

Also he does not need to know about the pillars in order to damage them. Logically, if he's trying to collapse the ground (achieve the feat) then he will continue to swipe his hv until the feat is accomplished. Also He has x-ray vision. Did you forget about that?

Now let's watch you ignore these points. Everyone watch how Silent trolls.

FrothByte
The thread is about his capability of doing something. Anything other than that is trolling.

Also he does not need to know about the pillars in order to damage them. Logically, if he's trying to collapse the ground (achieve the feat) then he will continue to swipe his hv until the feat is accomplished. Also He has x-ray vision. Did you forget about that?

In short, he can achieve the same feat by continuously spamming his HV. I think pretty much all of us are in agreement with that.

Silent Master

It's about whether he can replicate Thor's feat, something you've provided no proof for.

If he doesn't know about the pillars, there is no reason for him to even try and use HV, since he's trying to replicate a massive shockwave.

In short, he can achieve the same feat by continuously spamming his HV. I think pretty much all of us are in agreement with that.

Only, that wouldn't be the same feat. plus why would he even think of using HV in the first place since his goal is to replicate a massive shockwave?

Josh_Alexander

thumb up

h1a8
It's about whether he can replicate Thor's feat, something you've provided no proof for.

If he doesn't know about the pillars, there is no reason for him to even try and use HV, since he's trying to replicate a massive shockwave.

Only, that wouldn't be the same feat. plus why would he even think of using HV in the first place since his goal is to replicate a massive shockwave?

Thor used lightning, a form of energy blast.
Obviously Superman doesn't have lightning powers. Therefore the OP meant for Superman to achieve the same collapse of the structure.

The lightning also melted the ground Since it took a moment before the collapse. The ground didnt collapse immediately upon impact.

Silent Master
Superman has neither lightning powers or a magical hammer to channel it through, so why would he think to use HV to replicate an attack that caused a massive shockwave?

BTW, post a clip that clearly shows the ice metling.

LordGod
thumb up X-ray vision, my dude.

In Justice League he stopped in the middle of fighting Steppenwolf and noted a shitton of survivors in the city who needed rescuing. He wouldn't have known about them and their exact locations if he couldn't see them through all the walls+distance. He'd surely know about the pillars.

Silent Master
Why would Superman use X-ray vision?

LordGod
He's trying to replicate Thor's feat here, is he not?

Silent Master
Yes, he's trying to replicate an attack that causes a massive shockwave which in turn devesates a massive amount of terrain.

Now, why would he use X-ray vision?

Josh_Alexander
X-ray vision, my dude.

In Justice League he stopped in the middle of fighting Steppenwolf and noted a shitton of survivors in the city who needed rescuing. He wouldn't have known about them and their exact locations if he couldn't see them through all the walls+distance. He'd surely know about the pillars.

Another important factor here is time, can he replicate the distruction of the lightning in the amout of time the latter did?

h1a8
Could Superman cause the same amount of damage with HV?
Answer: Yes

Silent Master
That wasn't the question, the question was could Superman replicate Thor's glacier shattering feat.

The OP also stipulated "same circumstances Thor faced". meaning Superman has to do it while being attacked from all sides by Frost Giants.

FrothByte

Using as short a strike as Thor used? No.

Silent Master
Using as short a strike as Thor used? No.

While also being attacked by Frost Giants.

Double no.

LordGod
Yes, he's trying to replicate an attack that causes a massive shockwave which in turn devesates a massive amount of terrain.

Now, why would he use X-ray vision? I assume that Superman goes into this scenario knowing that he has to duplicate Thor's feat as quickly and efficiently as possible, no? If so, then why WOULDN'T he use his super-senses? Why are you going out of your way to make Superman as one-dimensional as possible here?

Afterall, it's clear that his super-senses are always on and actively scanning his surroundings to some extent (that's how he was able to hear and see the all of the city's survivors IN THE MIDDLE OF his battle with Steppenwolf), so it is logical to assume that he could certainly use those abilities here as well- especially if he opts to go the HV route.

The alternative is gimping Superman's natural abilities to try and give Thor the edge. So if that's what you'd rather do then be my guest. thumb up

FrothByte
I assume that Superman goes into this scenario knowing that he has to duplicate Thor's feat as quickly and efficiently as possible, no? If so, then why WOULDN'T he use his super-senses? Why are you going out of your way to make Superman as one-dimensional as possible here?

Afterall, it's clear that his super-senses are always on and actively scanning his surroundings to some extent (that's how he was able to hear and see the all of the city's survivors IN THE MIDDLE OF his battle with Steppenwolf), so it is logical to assume that he could certainly use those abilities here as well- especially if he opts to go the HV route.

The alternative is gimping Superman's natural abilities to try and give Thor the edge. So if that's what you'd rather do then be my guest. thumb up

OP states that Superman is in the same circumstances as Thor was. Thor didn't have prep time, why should Superman have prep?

LordGod
He doesn't need formal prep time. Superman's perception and reaction speeds are ~ Flash's. He could easily scan the field in the time it takes one of the Frost Giants to take a step or two.

Also, Thor collapsed the terrain as an ACCIDENTAL side effect of his bolt. Here Superman is TRYING to duplicate that specific feat. So again- why WOULDN'T he use the abilities in his repertoire?

Silent Master
OP states that Superman is in the same circumstances as Thor was. Thor didn't have prep time, why should Superman have prep?

Agreed, Thor got the idea to cause an AOE until maybe a few seconds before he did it and since the OP stated "same circumstances". same applies to Superman.

He has no reason to even think of using HV, especially not use HV in a manner that he's never been shown to.

FrothByte
He doesn't need formal prep time. Superman's perception and reaction speeds are ~ Flash's. He could easily scan the field in the time it takes one of the Frost Giants to take a step or two.

Also, Thor collapsed the terrain as an ACCIDENTAL side effect of his bolt. Here Superman is TRYING to duplicate that specific feat. So again- why WOULDN'T he use the abilities in his repertoire?

Meh. If that was true then Batman should never have given Superman such a hard time. There's also no proof that the destruction Thor caused was accidental. He made the strike seemingly with the intention of destroying his enemies around him as well as dropping that ice monster chasing after his friends.

h1a8
That wasn't the question, the question was could Superman replicate Thor's glacier shattering feat.

The OP also stipulated "same circumstances Thor faced". meaning Superman has to do it while being attacked from all sides by Frost Giants.

Like I said, Superman doesn't have Mjolnir or lightning powers to replicate the feat exactly how Thor did it. Therefore the OP meant can Superman cause the same damage to the terrain in one strike.
Yes he can.

LordGod
Meh. If that was true then Batman should never have given Superman such a hard time. There's also no proof that the destruction Thor caused was accidental. He made the strike seemingly with the intention of destroying his enemies around him as well as dropping that ice monster chasing after his friends. That's plot-induced-stupidity for ya. Because we know that Superman actively uses his super-speed in fights-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cktrew2Iq5A&t=2m22s

and-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAGz2bDlwqA&t=3m33s

So it's not like what I'm saying here is entirely without precedent.

Again- I assume that Superman is going into this scenario KNOWING that he has to duplicate Thor's feat as quickly and efficiently as possible. So with that in mind- he has super-speed that he ACTIVELY uses IN BATTLE, and he also has super-senses (like hearing and telescopic/x-ray vision) that he ACTIVELY uses IN BATTLE. Why are those abilities all of the sudden off the table here if we assume that Superman goes the HV route with his attack?

Thor had no way of knowing that the entire battlefield would collapse as a result of his bolt, unless he was already intimately familiar with how Jotumheim's surface was supported, and strategically fired his bolt in a spot where he knew it would take out enough of the supports to collapse the field. It's not impossible I guess, but it does seem unlikely. Especially since Thor came off as little more then a petulant brute at the beginning of the first movie.

Adam Grimes
He probably can't. But would surely stomp the shit out of everyone in all 3 Thor movies. At the same time as well.

Silent Master
Like I said, Superman doesn't have Mjolnir or lightning powers to replicate the feat exactly how Thor did it. Therefore the OP meant can Superman cause the same damage to the terrain in one strike.
Yes he can.

Not per the stipulations in the op he cant.

h1a8
Not per the stipulations in the op he cant.
I believe you have the stops wrong. But that's besides the point.
Superman has the capacity to cause the same amount of damage with a swipe of of HV.

/thread

Silent Master
Superman has the capacity to cause the same amount of damage with a swipe of of HV.

/thread

Nope, I have the stipulations correct. Superman has one strike in order to replicate Thor's feat under the same circumstances Thor faced.

Thor's feat was striking the ground with enough force to cause a massive shockwave resulting in the destruction of a large section of the landscape. Cutting some support pillars in the hopes of causing a collapse is not remotely replicating the feat.

LordGod

/thread thumb up

Silent Master
Nope, I have the stipulations correct. Superman has one strike in order to replicate Thor's feat under the same circumstances Thor faced.

Thor's feat was striking the ground with enough force to cause a massive shockwave resulting in the destruction of a large section of the landscape. Cutting some support pillars in the hopes of causing a collapse is not remotely replicating the feat. wink

Josh_Alexander

Not in the same time.

FrothByte
That's plot-induced-stupidity for ya. Because we know that Superman actively uses his super-speed in fights-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cktrew2Iq5A&t=2m22s

and-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAGz2bDlwqA&t=3m33s

So it's not like what I'm saying here is entirely without precedent.

Again- I assume that Superman is going into this scenario KNOWING that he has to duplicate Thor's feat as quickly and efficiently as possible. So with that in mind- he has super-speed that he ACTIVELY uses IN BATTLE, and he also has super-senses (like hearing and telescopic/x-ray vision) that he ACTIVELY uses IN BATTLE. Why are those abilities all of the sudden off the table here if we assume that Superman goes the HV route with his attack?

Thor had no way of knowing that the entire battlefield would collapse as a result of his bolt, unless he was already intimately familiar with how Jotumheim's surface was supported, and strategically fired his bolt in a spot where he knew it would take out enough of the supports to collapse the field. It's not impossible I guess, but it does seem unlikely. Especially since Thor came off as little more then a petulant brute at the beginning of the first movie.

Oh he uses his superspeed... in mostly reactionary, impulsive manner. Show me a feat of him using his superspeed to canvass a scene like what you're claiming here and you might have a point.

Again, Superman doesn't have prep here as per OP. Doesn't matter how you want to spin it, OP specifies he gets the exact same scenario as Thor which means no lengthy prep.

Your point on Thor just further supports the fact that the destruction was not purely due to the ice collapsing. Thor clearly meant his slam to affect the ice monster chasing after his friends which was already hundred of meters away. That means that he fully expected his strike to be that strong and that destructive.

LordGod
Oh he uses his superspeed... in mostly reactionary, impulsive manner. Show me a feat of him using his superspeed to canvass a scene like what you're claiming here and you might have a point.

Again, Superman doesn't have prep here as per OP. Doesn't matter how you want to spin it, OP specifies he gets the exact same scenario as Thor which means no lengthy prep. You guys keep dodging the point.

Again- Superman goes into this KNOWING that his one and only goal is to duplicate Thor's feat as quickly and efficiently as possible. So why WOULDN'T he use all the abilities in his repertoire? Are we assuming that Superman forgets about all of his abilities here or what? confused

Your point on Thor just further supports the fact that the destruction was not purely due to the ice collapsing. Thor clearly meant his slam to affect the ice monster chasing after his friends which was already hundred of meters away. That means that he fully expected his strike to be that strong and that destructive. Wait, what?

What I'm saying is that whether it was intentional or not, Thor's bolt still just created a domino effect that collapsed the field, by way of weakening some of the field's supportive pillars. If Superman opted to go the HV route, it is completely logical that he could do the same.

......unless, like I mentioned above, he conveniently "forgets" to use any of his other powers in this scenario. I'll leave that up to y'all to decide tho. thumb up

Silent Master
Again, Thor's feat was to cause a massive shockwave that resulted in a large section of the landscape being destroyed. Cutting some support pillars is not causing a massive shockwave.

riv6672
Originally posted by carthage

Does he replicate the feat, or have any striking feat comparable?
Bane probably dies.

FrothByte
You guys keep dodging the point.

Again- Superman goes into this KNOWING that his one and only goal is to duplicate Thor's feat as quickly and efficiently as possible. So why WOULDN'T he use all the abilities in his repertoire? Are we assuming that Superman forgets about all of his abilities here or what? confused

Wait, what?

What I'm saying is that whether it was intentional or not, Thor's bolt still just created a domino effect that collapsed the field, by way of weakening some of the field's supportive pillars. If Superman opted to go the HV route, it is completely logical that he could do the same.

......unless, like I mentioned above, he conveniently "forgets" to use any of his other powers in this scenario. I'll leave that up to y'all to decide tho. thumb up

Nah, you keep trying to weasel around the OP stips. Superman only gets to know what he's about to do the same time Thor did... which is like a second before he decided to do it. If you want to claim that Superman will use his superspeed to scan the surrounding area, locate all the support pillars, calculate how many he needs to take out in order to cause such widescale destruction all within a split second, then please post a feat of Superman using his superspeed to create tactical plans like that.

Because as far as I know, Superman has never shown the ability to do what you're claiming.

h1a8
Nah, you keep trying to weasel around the OP stips. Superman only gets to know what he's about to do the same time Thor did... which is like a second before he decided to do it. If you want to claim that Superman will use his superspeed to scan the surrounding area, locate all the support pillars, calculate how many he needs to take out in order to cause such widescale destruction all within a split second, then please post a feat of Superman using his superspeed to create tactical plans like that.

Because as far as I know, Superman has never shown the ability to do what you're claiming.

Why does any of this matter? The spirit of the thread is whether Superman has the capability to do the feat. It's about whose more powerful. That's the spirit of the thread.
You guys want to nitpick about irrelevant stuff. That's fine.

I and others are satisfied with knowing that Superman has the capability of achieving the feat.

FrothByte
Why does any of this matter? The spirit of the thread is whether Superman has the capability to do the feat. It's about whose more powerful. That's the spirit of the thread.
You guys want to nitpick about irrelevant stuff. That's fine.

I and others are satisfied with knowing that Superman has the capability of achieving the feat.

No, the spirit of the thread is asking whether Superman can accomplish the same feat while being in the same situation as Thor. You want to disregard stips so you can give Superman an unfair advantage, that already tells me you don't believe he can actually do it.

h1a8
No, the spirit of the thread is asking whether Superman can accomplish the same feat while being in the same situation as Thor. You want to disregard stips so you can give Superman an unfair advantage, that already tells me you don't believe he can actually do it.

The spirit is to compare the two character's power output. If you can't see that then you are an idiot. That's a fact.

Any reasonable person can see that. Stating that Superman has the capacity to do the feat but he won't because of his choice or lack of knowledge automatically defeats the purpose of the thread.

In other words, him having the power output capability to achieve the feat but not the necessary knowledge of knowing where to apply it (according to you) is not a knock on his power output.

It in no way shows that Thor has more power output or is more powerful. That's the only thing that matters here. If you disagree then again you are an idiot or a pure troll. And the discussion is over.

So Superman not achieving the feat has no bearing on his capability of achieving the feat or his power output in comparison to Thor's.

Silent Master
Why are you such a liar?

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>