The implications are boggling... Word for Genes?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Putinbot1
New gene editing tool could fix most harmful DNA mutations

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/oct/21/new-gene-editing-tool-could-fix-most-harmful-dna-mutations?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy

Wait till the diagnostic is automated... Spell check your Gene's is coming.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Putinbot1
New gene editing tool could fix most harmful DNA mutations

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/oct/21/new-gene-editing-tool-could-fix-most-harmful-dna-mutations?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy

Wait till the diagnostic is automated... Spell check your Gene's is coming.

I was reading about this when I was taking my morning poop.

Seems awesome!

I want the Gattica future but without all the fascism and genism.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by dadudemon
I was reading about this when I was taking my morning poop.

Seems awesome!

I want the Gattica future but without all the fascism and genism. it could mean everything from sickle cell to asthma eradicated.

Haha yeah, the best line in Gattaca has to be the Doctor examining Ethan Hawke, when he says looking at the penis, I wish my parents had ordered me one of those. What a great film it was!

dadudemon
Originally posted by Putinbot1
it could mean everything from sickle cell to asthma eradicated.

Haha yeah, the best line in Gattaca has to be the Doctor examining Ethan Hawke, when he says looking at the penis, I wish my parents had ordered me one of those. What a great film it was!

Glad you saw the movie and could understand where my post was coming from.

I have very good vision - still great even at my age. My coworkers tell me that I should have glasses by now. I don't need them even a little bit. I look at computer and mobile phone screens all day. Still great vision. They need to figure out which genes I have that makes my vision stay so good and then modify everyone else's genes so they can maintain great vision for decades (obviously, aggregate a ton of different people's genes and figure out the perfect soupy combo of genes that has and keeps great vision for decades).

And then I need to find the person who has the best set of "no allergies" genes. And get those copied into my genome.

I was reading that in order for gene therapy to be effective, you only need to reply about 20% of the genes and the expression works well enough to be a "fix."

Putinbot1
Originally posted by dadudemon
Glad you saw the movie and could understand where my post was coming from.

I have very good vision - still great even at my age. My coworkers tell me that I should have glasses by now. I don't need them even a little bit. I look at computer and mobile phone screens all day. Still great vision. They need to figure out which genes I have that makes my vision stay so good and then modify everyone else's genes so they can maintain great vision for decades (obviously, aggregate a ton of different people's genes and figure out the perfect soupy combo of genes that has and keeps great vision for decades).

And then I need to find the person who has the best set of "no allergies" genes. And get those copied into my genome.

I was reading that in order for gene therapy to be effective, you only need to reply about 20% of the genes and the expression works well enough to be a "fix." Not sure about that 20% bit, I think the amount varies depending on the type of expression. Tbh, a lot of this stuff I have to read round to get it's 30 years since I did my degrees in molecular bio, enzymeology and genetics. It's all moved o n a lot and it's not something I use in everyday life anymore. I use other professional qualifications. So, I couldn't confirm or deny categorically. It still fascinates me, when I retire, I intend to do the Ph.D. I dropped out of, as well as a degree in Archaeology, I can think of nothing more fun than digging in a trench at 65 with some 18 year old blonde girl...

jaden_2.0
Gattaca incoming.

Robtard
That's the problem, something that should be used to lift all of humanity becomes a have and have-not between the rich and poor.

Wonder Man
Genes only amount to a life up until 23.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.