Listening to music while you read/study..?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Galan007
So I was at work the other day studying for a med exam I have coming up. While I was reading, I also had my earbuds in and was listening to music(actually, it was an audiobook in this case)... Ever since high school I have always had to listen to music(or something thereabouts) while I study -- it helps relax me and keeps me focused on whatever I'm reading.

...But pretty much everyone I work with thought I was full of shit. Apparently external noise would be a distraction for them if they were studying.

So it got me wondering if anyone else studies this way? I'm pretty sure it's a thing... /shrug

Putinbot1
It depends what I'm doing Galan. If it's putting an essay together fine. If it's something I have to concentrate on to understand, then it isn't fine.

-Pr-
If I'm reading something new, then I can do without the music, but if I'm revising or writing something down? Music always helps me, tbh.

Galan007
See, if I'm reading something I enjoy, then no music is fine because it can hold my interest on its own.

But if I'm reading something in-depth and dull(like SO many med-texts are), then I need to have music or an audiobook playing in the background, otherwise I'll get bored and completely lose focus on the material I'm reading.

-Pr-
Honestly, it might be that I just get easily distracted. I don't think what you're doing is that strange, though.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Putinbot1
It depends what I'm doing Galan. If it's putting an essay together fine. If it's something I have to concentrate on to understand, then it isn't fine.

I agree. Also I used to study with very ambient music. So the kind of music matters, too.

Originally posted by -Pr-
Honestly, it might be that I just get easily distracted. I don't think what you're doing is that strange, though.

Except an audiobook while you're trying to read something is a little strange to me. How would that not be distracting?

Galan007
Tbf, I was vaguely following the audiobook... I was using it mainly for background noise(for whatever reason my music playlist wasn't loading at work.)

I typically just listen to music.

Bashar Teg
I remember when studying in uni, low volume music actually helped with studying. for some reason I found dead silence to be off-putting.

BrolyBlack
Originally posted by Galan007
So I was at work the other day studying for a med exam I have coming up. While I was reading, I also had my earbuds in and was listening to music(actually, it was an audiobook in this case)... Ever since high school I have always had to listen to music(or something thereabouts) while I study -- it helps relax me and keeps me focused on whatever I'm reading.

...But pretty much everyone I work with thought I was full of shit. Apparently external noise would be a distraction for them if they were studying.

So it got me wondering if anyone else studies this way? I'm pretty sure it's a thing... /shrug

Anything with alpha waves is great for that.

Surtur
I did with certain types of music. Nothing with any singing.

DeadpoolXXX
Originally posted by Galan007

So it got me wondering if anyone else studies this way? I'm pretty sure it's a thing... /shrug u studying to be a doctor or what? confused

Galan007
Oh god no. Just some NP stuff.

Impediment
I listen to classical and opera when I study, every time.

Pavarotti is great. So is lovely Ludwig Van.

Last month, I took an exam for work to be certified in eddy current and the entire time I studied for said test, I was listening to Franz Liszt.

dadudemon
Any music that doesn't have singing or talking is fine. Noisy music like noise techno also makes it hard to think.

So everything else is fair game.

Mindship
No, I never listened to music while studying because of how I studied, ie, several short intervals (10-20 minutes) per day over a period of many days.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Mindship
No, I never listened to music while studying because of how I studied, ie, several short intervals (10-20 minutes) per day over a period of many days. I pretty much study the same tbh.

Mindship
Originally posted by Putinbot1
I pretty much study the same tbh. It's how I got through college and grad school. I could never do those hours-long study sessions ('massed practice'), which is why I rarely studied in elementary through high school (I did not know about 'distributed practice' then). It's a miracle I did well enough to eventually get into college (SUNY New Paltz was easier to get into back in the day).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.