Star Wars ruined by Disney?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

robotflug
Once Disney got the entire Star Wars franchise people have been hating the revival. What is making everyone not like these new movies?.

steverules_2
Originally posted by robotflug
Once Disney got the entire Star Wars franchise people have been hating the revival. What is making everyone not like these new movies?.

Because they suck, kill off the new characters and leave the original better characters alone

Bashar Teg
political radicalization

Impediment
I don't hate the NT (new trilogy) but I don love it, either.

I'll be 40 years old in a month and I've been watching Star Wars since I was in diapers.

The fact is that each sequential film has to cater to specific audiences, not solely the first generation of fans.

The NT has taught me that Star Wars has a very toxic fan base. So much negativity and hate, all because the films didn't directly cater to their expectations.

-Pr-

Largely, they're just not very good movies. You could say that about the prequels too, but the prequels tend to fail when it comes to technical aspects, not "lore" ones. TFA and especially TLJ fail in both areas.

Stringer

Impediment
As far as killing off old and beloved characters, Ford wanted Han to die in RotJ while on Endor but it wasn't allowed, so Ford opted to Han to be killed off in TFA. <ark Hamill is now older than Alec Guinness and can't play the part of Luke forever, even if he'll be a Force Ghost in tRoS. And Leia? Well, as much as I loved her..................cocaine is a helluva drug. RIP, princess.

Impediment
TFA was just a loose remake of A New Hope.

I mean, a Death Star planet? JFC.

playa1258
Disney sucks

Bashar Teg
tbh, i think disney did a better job than post-1980's george lucas, in terms of consistancy. i'll always give GL honorable mention for ep1 as an exercise in highly competent action sci-fi cinema, and even put it above everything that came from disney's star wars.

...but everything after ep1 was garbage, imho. keep in mind that i first saw ep4 on hbo when i was 7 years old, and my first SW theater experience was RotJ in '83; so i have a unique perspective from most people here. the reason i mention that is because as much as i hated the majority of the PT, and as much as i've expressed it; i've never seen this level of radicalized career-hatred of a kid's movie as i've seen here. holy crap some of you need to grow up just a little bit

BruceSkywalker
WB sucks

Khazra Reborn
The Mandalorian is pretty dope.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Impediment

Yeah, Death Star 2.0 was one of my biggest complaints, too, because it was clear after that that they didn't care about writing. Just rebooting and making money.

Also Snoke being so easily and stupidly vanquished was super dumb.

That being said, I actually liked the creature designs and the little touches in TLJ, despite much of the stupidity.

steverules_2
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Yeah, Death Star 2.0 was one of my biggest complaints

Wouldn't it be 3.0? ROTJ had a second death star

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by steverules_2
Wouldn't it be 3.0? ROTJ had a second death star

Considering the director, does that mean we can expect another one in the upcoming film? big grin

Psychotron

They're just not good. Also, purposefully taking a dump on the old characters and turning them into sad, pathetic failures didn't endear Disney to anyone.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Considering the director, does that mean we can expect another one in the upcoming film? big grin

Probably.

Surtur

No, it's only ruined when SJW's are heavily involved. Notice Rebels wasn't dog shit, it was good. Notice "The Mandalorian" isn't really dog shit either.

steverules_2
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller

Death star 4.0

Bashar Teg
Yeah, Death Star 2.0 was one of my biggest complaints, too, because it was clear after that that they didn't care about writing. Just rebooting and making money.

Also Snoke being so easily and stupidly vanquished was super dumb.

That being said, I actually liked the creature designs and the little touches in TLJ, despite much of the stupidity.

*Death Star 3.0

Surtur
If I had a giant MOON sized weapon and the only reason it was destroyed was because some dipshit forgot to shield a specific vent I'd 100% build another one with the shield in place(after murdering the previous designer).

steverules_2
Well Death star 2.0 had a massive hole they could all fly in to, then again it was incomplete design

Surtur
Well Death star 2.0 had a massive hole they could all fly in to, then again it was incomplete design

Yeah I should have added "and I wouldn't be stupid enough to give my enemies the location until it was complete".

95% of the time a force user dies cuz of arrogance, and this doesn't just apply to the sith(but the sith are the grand champions at it). Jedi can fall for it:

Obviously shady guy: Can I introduce you to a dubious solution to all your problems?

Anakin: Sold!

*one day passes*

Anakin: aaand I'm evil

SquallX
Originally posted by Surtur
If I had a giant MOON sized weapon and the only reason it was destroyed was because some dipshit forgot to shield a specific vent I'd 100% build another one with the shield in place(after murdering the previous designer).

After reading your post, I remember this little gem

agcRwGDKulw

Shit had me cackling like a witch on hollowed night.

samhain
Rebels did get a fair bit of flack from time to time although most of that seemed to be subjective stuff (character being disliked, etc.). They have largely and quite arrogantly sh!t on the fans while trying to please the kind of people who wouldn't even go and watch SW anyway even if RuPaul was the lead (RuPaul would be fvcking awesome in a Star Wars movie BTW).

Surtur
Originally posted by SquallX
After reading your post, I remember this little gem

agcRwGDKulw

Shit had me cackling like a witch on hollowed night.

Anyone who builds a moon sized space station without accounting for space magic is a f*cking chump.

Ridley_Prime
No, it's only ruined when SJW's are heavily involved. Notice Rebels wasn't dog shit, it was good. Notice "The Mandalorian" isn't really dog shit either.
Rebels was meh. A step down from Clone Wars imo, though had its moments.

SquallX
Genndy tartakovsky did indeed delivers with Clone Wars. I honestly have yet to watch another Star Wars cartoon that delivered good new story to the lore, yet at the same time showed respect to the old.

StiltmanFTW
leave the original better characters alone

........ if there will be any of those left

cdtm
Genndy CW was best Star Wars.

CGI CW was "meh". Rebels had a good first season, but got less and less interesting as it went on.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Impediment

And this has been my issue. I dont mind them making it for a new generation. But it should expand the Universe, not retread it beat for best. And it should make sense.

Fact is the NT was targeting 40 year olds capitalising on nostalgia more than it was targeting a new generation.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Darth Thor
And this has been my issue. I dont mind them making it for a new generation. But it should expand the Universe, not retread it beat for best. And it should make sense.

Fact is the NT was targeting 40 year olds capitalising on nostalgia more than it was targeting a new generation.

and then they'll turn around and say "but star wars is for kids!".

you can't have it both ways.

NotAllThatEvil
Unpopular opinion, probably, but I don't really think the mandalorian is all that great

StiltmanFTW

That's because Filoni is all about oldschool, EU, pre-Disney, perfectly enjoyable Star Wars...

Surtur
Originally posted by cdtm

CGI CW was "meh". Rebels had a good first season, but got less and less interesting as it went on.

I loved the Gendy CW, but also the CGI CW. It really was excellent.

In some ways the Gendy stuff was *too* good. It showed us a really bad ass General Grievous. Then the movie came out and we got...yeah, not so much a bad ass.

With all that said, I'm burnt out on this era of Star Wars. I'd love to see show or movie take place during the KOTOR era.

Impediment

Surtur

Kazenji

And the previous designer put said vent in so the rebellion could destroy it.

-Pr-
Originally posted by NotAllThatEvil
Unpopular opinion, probably, but I don't really think the mandalorian is all that great

It isn't great; it does have issues. That said, I find it far more interesting and entertaining than the sequel movies have been thus far.

Plus, it has that Star Wars "feel" too, imo.

Patient_Leech

NotAllThatEvil
So it fit right in line with The Force Awakens.

The Last Jedi was way better than TFA. Not necessarily saying much, I know, but still.
The last jedi was garbage compared to the tfa?

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by cdtm

Genndy CW was also overpowered as ****.

I mean, we can't take feats seriously from that series.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW

But others are fine?

I mean honestly what feats were so ridiculous by comparison to others?

No one seems to take this up with other characters such as GM Luke or Sidious or Vitiate/Valk or any other kind of powerful Force User in the mythos.

...But ah, this I guess isn't the place for this discussion, since we're talking movies here.

We got...11? 10? Days till RoS..

Surtur
I loved the overpowered stuff in Gendy's show. That is how jedi's should be. Compared to how large the galaxy is there weren't many. They'd need to be powerful to be effective and taken seriously. I like the one episode where this guy in some fortress or something is expecting an army of jedi and they see some approaching and they tell their leader "there is two" and he's like "two hundred? ha!" and they go "no, just two".

It's why I enjoy playing the force unleashed games too.

Zenwolf
I loved the overpowered stuff in Gendy's show. That is how jedi's should be. Compared to how large the galaxy is there weren't many. They'd need to be powerful to be effective and taken seriously. I like the one episode where this guy in some fortress or something is expecting an army of jedi and they see some approaching and they tell their leader "there is two" and he's like "two hundred? ha!" and they go "no, just two".

It's why I enjoy playing the force unleashed games too.

I mean the two Jedi, Anakin and Obi-Wan also had a huge force of Clones that was supporting them.

I really can't recall much quote on quote "overpowered stuff" within that series, other than....I guess Mace and Yoda. But even there, the only real overpowered instance I guess with Mace was the 360 degree Force push on Dantooine, but even then it seemed more like a domino effect seeing as all the SBDs were so close together.

Yoda? Well he's Yoda and one of the most powerful Jedi Grandmasters within the history of the Jedi Order, I wouldn't call into question his ability and prowess since he was nearing 900.

To me it seemed more visually noticeable? I guess with Force pushes and the lightsaber fighting was very fast and energized, but I wouldn't call that overpowered. Given Force Users, namely Jedi are trained at such a young age, they should be that good with a blade along with their ability to push themselves and their bodies with The Force.

Surtur
Mace had a pretty insane speed feat, remember?

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Zenwolf
But others are fine?

I mean honestly what feats were so ridiculous by comparison to others?

Every. Single. Feat.

Compared to the core canon (movies), that is.

No one seems to take this up with other characters such as GM Luke or Sidious or Vitiate/Valk or any other kind of powerful Force User in the mythos.

Not talking about the EU as a whole, as I'm sure we could find more ridiculous feats with ease.

But if we limit it to just movies/animated stuff? Yeah, Genndy was ridiculous af.

Even in damn computer games, it was hard to deflect blaster bolts with Force.

Genndy Obi does it effortlessly, not needing to rely on his saber.

...But ah, this I guess isn't the place for this discussion, since we're talking movies here.

We got...11? 10? Days till RoS..

Yeah.

Lulz, what? 10? My anus is not ready.

Zenwolf
Mace had a pretty insane speed feat, remember?

I mean...yes, but crazy speed feats aren't really anything new within the SW Mythos, there's quite a few of them around. Plus it's not like Mace was doing this against some hyper competent insane reflexing bad guy.

He was doing it against SBDs, they aren't exactly known for their reflexes or combat ability.

But moving on here.

@StillMan

Ok thanks for clarifying, yes compared to the movies, yes just about everything else involving SW is overpowered.

Also I'm not sure a lot of people are ready, so you're not alone lol. Not even sure I'm gonna go see it despite seeing the other two...unless I'm dragged along.

StiltmanFTW
Stilt.

Not Still.

durhulk

Zenwolf
Stilt.

Not Still.

durhulk

Sorry, eyes were playing tricks on me. I forgot Ben Kenobi's lesson. sad big grin

StiltmanFTW
Also I'm not sure a lot of people are ready, so you're not alone lol. Not even sure I'm gonna go see it despite seeing the other two...unless I'm dragged along.

I'm kinda hoping I'll run out of money or something.

But it will probably be in the theaters for a good while, Disney can afford it.

Damn it.

Ridley_Prime
Genndy's Grievous... Enough said.

cdtm

Yeah, no way the Grevious from the movie could do ANY of that stuff.

Still a really fun show as it's own thing. The little bits with Clone Troopers silently performing maneuvers, the montage of Anakin and Obi-Wan doing stuff together like we should have seen in the films, the way imagery and sound was used.

Basically, it was Samurai Jack with the Star Wars ip, taking everything that made that toon good and using it there.

Darth Thor
Jedi were massively overpowered in Genndys Clone Wars. As was Greivous.

If Jedi could actually do dat shit then they would have cleaned house on Geonosis. In fact Mace would have wiped out Dookus droid army on his own.

Still that cartoon was fun as hell.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Jedi were massively overpowered in Genndys Clone Wars. As was Greivous.

If Jedi could actually do dat shit then they would have cleaned house on Geonosis. In fact Mace would have wiped out Dookus droid army on his own.

Still that cartoon was fun as hell.

Except he couldn't have.

But that's another discussion elsewhere.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.