How strong is adamantium?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

h1a8
I see people using feats of characters damaging adamantium. But can we even quantify (or approximate) the strength of adamantium?

Let's compare it to the strongest steel alloy in the real world.

DarkSaint85
Despite being a molecule thick, Wolverines claws never blunt or chip, despite routinely slicing through steel alloys

StiltmanFTW
Cannot be calculated.

Especially not with h1 math.

BrolyBlack
But h1 math is stronger than calculus

Wonder Man
Adamantium is stronger than gas so it can survive even the pressure of black holes.

Galan007
Originally posted by Wonder Man
Adamantium is stronger than gas so it can survive even the pressure of black holes. Probably the most accurate answer you'll get here...

thumb up

Wonder Man
I think also it might be able to kill The Stranger. It has a long way to go.

cdtm
Originally posted by h1a8
I see people using feats of characters damaging adamantium. But can we even quantify (or approximate) the strength of adamantium?

Logan's adamantium laced skull routinely takes blows from characters who can crack open moons, without so much as a dent.

Considering everything he's survived without damaging his skeleton, it's safe to say true adamantium is 100% unbreakable by physical force.

Which makes claims of Cap's shield being even stronger kind of a head scratcher, as you can't really top 100% damage reduction. You can MATCH it, but to say you're more durable is akin to claiming "Infinity +1", it's a nonsense claim.

DarkSaint85
Because of the vibranium element, which also negates some of the force - I guess?

Hit pure adamantium and Cap's shield with 100 of energy.

Adamantium would take that 100.

The shield would also take it, but it wouldn't transfer 100% to the wielder behind it

Sin I AM

Strong enough to make Wolverine relevant after all these years

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Strong enough to make Wolverine relevant after all these years

Wolverine was still one of the major players in the MU even without adamantium.

cdtm
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Despite being a molecule thick, Wolverines claws never blunt or chip, despite routinely slicing through steel alloys

He never chipped bone claws, though.

Maybe never on steel, but should have been breaking bones left and right, that arc made no sense.

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by cdtm
He never chipped bone claws, though.

Maybe never on steel, but should have been breaking bones left and right, that arc made no sense.

They broke and chipped a lot.
https://i.imgur.com/voV9QK0.png

https://i.imgur.com/Opck0Aa.png

https://i.imgur.com/za2tN5E.png

You have to remember though he had an insane HF at this time and just regrew everything.

StiltmanFTW
Bone Claws fluctuated A LOT when it comes to their durability.

They have plenty of amazing feats --- and plenty of low showings.

But one thing for certain, they were way denser than human bone.

StiltmanFTW

Can't agree on them being a molecule thick (even though I see what you're saying and I agree how it doesn't matter how thick the adamantium-coating is, it's still indestructible), but yeah, they can absolutely cut through steel, titanium, titanium equivalents and even omnium or Terminus' armor.

@h1

Considering how Wolverine cuts through omnium steel as if it was made out of paper, you can only imagine how weak the RL alloys would be to it.

DarkSaint85
Plus we can attribute his HF to heal any nicks and chips I guess.

StiltmanFTW
Plus we can attribute his HF to heal any nicks and chips I guess.

Yes, of course.

I'm guessing the claws could reach their full durability/sharpness only when Wolverine was fully rested and not taxed af, fighting in 5-6 books a week.

Them breaking against Uroc (who is 100% uru) or Galactus' equipment is perfectly fine. Carnage is not too bad, either - since he's supposed to be superior to Venom, who's had some ridiculous strength feats.

StiltmanFTW
In Neal Adams' First X-Men they got broken and regenerated off-panel all the damn time.

DarkSaint85
Are they not a molecule thick (the edge I mean)? Or am I thinking of something else?

StiltmanFTW
Are they not a molecule thick (the edge I mean)? Or am I thinking of something else?

The edge probably is. Has to be, since the adamantium-bonding process is said to enhance their sharpness and Wolverine says they've been honed enough to slice through anything. I thought you meant their coating in general.

But we have no on-panel proof, do we?

We know that they are less than 1mm thick, they pop at 130 miles per hour, they are at least one foot long...

Astner
What's strong? Hardness, toughness, ductility, creep resistance? Because the harder you make an alloy the more sensitive to internal movements (like elastic deformation and vibrations) it becomes.

That said, the topic is kind of pointless because its exhibited properties spits in the face of material- and molecular physics. Unless there's some fifth fundamental force holding it together then it's pure magic.

DarkSaint85
I'm assuming he's asking for ultimate tensile strength

cdtm
Or in layman's terms, "durability".

It's a comic forum after all, everything's seen in terms of invulnerability. Including real life elements in comics, which is why diamond form Emma Frost is somehow super tough, even though real life diamonds shatter really easily.

StiltmanFTW
That's why it's organic diamond geek

Same as Colossus' organic steel is tougher than normal steel.

And same as Wolverine's adamantium beta is tougher than adamantium... shifty

h1a8
Logan's adamantium laced skull routinely takes blows from characters who can crack open moons, without so much as a dent.

Considering everything he's survived without damaging his skeleton, it's safe to say true adamantium is 100% unbreakable by physical force.

Which makes claims of Cap's shield being even stronger kind of a head scratcher, as you can't really top 100% damage reduction. You can MATCH it, but to say you're more durable is akin to claiming "Infinity +1", it's a nonsense claim.

That doesn't mean adamantium took any blows CAPABLE of cracking open moons. You are using faulty logic. I would say that adamantium is about 100-500x stronger than steel due to it having no feats above that range.

h1a8
Originally posted by Wonder Man
Adamantium is stronger than gas so it can survive even the pressure of black holes.

Prove it. Prove that a 0.25 inch thick adamantium slab can survive forces above 10,000 tons without bending.

cdtm
That doesn't mean adamantium took any blows CAPABLE of cracking open moons. You are using faulty logic. I would say that adamantium is about 100-500x stronger than steel due to it having no feats above that range.

Thor's hammer has cracked moons. Thor can not damage adamantium Ultron.

h1a8
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
That's why it's organic diamond geek

Same as Colossus' organic steel is tougher than normal steel.

And same as Wolverine's adamantium beta is tougher than adamantium... shifty

Same as comic human durability tougher than real human durability.
These weren't intentional, writers are not always thinking complete science. go with intentions.

StiltmanFTW
I would say that adamantium is about 100-500x stronger than steel due to it having no feats above that range.

You are an absolute moron, h1.

Go back to Movie Vs.

Silent Master

Sure they do, but those feats are hidden in the comics, which explains why you're unaware of them.

StiltmanFTW
Take him back to Movie Vs., please?

We'll pay you, guys.

h1a8
Originally posted by Silent Master
Sure they do, but those feats are hidden in the comics, which explains why you're unaware of them. Uhm no. Characters do not always strike with the force of their top feats. Otherwise, everyone who Gladiator punched experienced planet shattering force.

h1a8
You are an absolute moron, h1.

Go back to Movie Vs.

Why am I a moron? Should be easy to prove.

Silent Master
Uhm no. Characters do not always strike with the force of their top feats. Otherwise, everyone who Gladiator punched experienced planet shattering force.

Nobody is going to trust your math, seeing as you once claimed bullets hit with a PSI of 313 million tons.

DarkSaint85
Uhm no. Characters do not always strike with the force of their top feats. Otherwise, everyone who Gladiator punched experienced planet shattering force.

Except Thor EXPLICITLY said he was striking with all of his might.

h1a8
Except Thor EXPLICITLY said he was striking with all of his might.

But we all know that someone's might can vary largely in output in fiction. In one scene a character can strain applying 100tons but yet in another be shown to apply 1000 tons. We have contradictory Highs and lows as these characters aren't real and operate on faulty science.

We have no way of determining how much force Thor struck the adamantium with as his strength can range from 10tons to millions of tons. Maybe We should assume average showing strength. If so then I would say somewhere between 100-1000 ton strength.

DarkSaint85
But we all know that someone's might can vary largely in output in fiction. In one scene a character can strain applying 100tons but yet in another be shown to apply 1000 tons. We have contradictory Highs and lows as these characters aren't real and operate on faulty science.

We have no way of determining how much force Thor struck the adamantium with as his strength can range from 10tons to millions of tons. Maybe We should assume average showing strength. If so then I would say somewhere between 100-1000 ton strength.

Then we should go with writer intent, and use Thor's showings from that time period to see how THAT writer viewed his strength.

Not with your assumptions.

One Big Mob
Originally posted by Silent Master
Nobody is going to trust your math, seeing as you once claimed bullets hit with a PSI of 313 million tons.
Very good post. H1 is awful.

Adamantium can lift more than 313 million tons because steel can tank bullets.

StiltmanFTW
Why am I a moron? Should be easy to prove.

Banner has stated that adamantium is unbreakable even by Hulk's standards.

It has withstood countless Class 100+ attacks, strikes from indestructible weapons, massive beams of energy and explosions of all kinds.

Just because you want it to be barely stronger than RL steel, doesn't make it so.

Stoic
Didn't Gladiator break one of Wolverines claws in the future? I'm referring to an older issue of Guardians of the Galaxy. If so, how far down that list would he make it?

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Stoic
Didn't Gladiator break one of Wolverines claws in the future? I'm referring to an older issue of Guardians of the Galaxy. If so, how far down that list would he make it?

A future. There are countless futures in the MU, which is exactly why they don't count when we discuss the mainstream continuity stuff.

But yeah, it happened in GotG.

Alternate Gladiator did that after fighting alternate Wolverine for whole 6 days, I remind you.

Stoic
A future. There are countless futures in the MU, which is exactly why they don't count when we discuss the mainstream continuity stuff.

But yeah, it happened in GotG.

Alternate Gladiator did that after fighting alternate Wolverine for whole 6 days, I remind you.

Okay, so would this list stack up to that Gladiator if he went berserk on it for 6 days? I'm assuming comparable thickness. Gladiator of 616 continuity is a planet destroyer per on panel citation, and 616 Wolverine was recently able to cut him. Not sure if that was PIS, but let's assume that it wasn't.

StiltmanFTW
Wolverine cut and stabbed plenty of Gladiator-level beings and above.

Count Nefaria, amped Mangog, Terminus, Thanos powered by the Infinity Gauntlet, Titannus and so on.

It's a standard feat for him.

Gladiator beat the shit out of Logan in Morrison's X-Men and his skeleton was perfectly fine.

S'ym wasn't able to damage it either, despite being able to break adamantium from an alternate universe.

h1a8
Then we should go with writer intent, and use Thor's showings from that time period to see how THAT writer viewed his strength.

Not with your assumptions.

Makes sense.
But it will be difficult to prove writer's intentions, especially if we see Thor mostly hit Hulk and other beings around with between 10-1000 ton force (operate in that range). That's why we have high and low showings.

h1a8
Banner has stated that adamantium is unbreakable even by Hulk's standards.

It has withstood countless Class 100+ attacks, strikes from indestructible weapons, massive beams of energy and explosions of all kinds.

Just because you want it to be barely stronger than RL steel, doesn't make it so.

Since when is 100-500x stronger = barely?

The strongest steel alloys can withstand major tonnage of force. Multiplying that by 100-500 is practically indestructible. Things that are arguably more durable was broken and damaged (not wholly indestructible).

Stated to be one thing and shown to be another is two different things.

Basically if you believe that adamantium is more than 500x stronger than the strongest steel then you should supply a feat proving it instead of flaming and trolling.

StiltmanFTW
Since we're discussing comics, it really is.

Don't play dumb. Hulk has pummeled Wolverine on plenty of occasions with no effect.

cdtm
Wolverine cut and stabbed plenty of Gladiator-level beings and above.

Count Nefaria, amped Mangog, Terminus, Thanos powered by the Infinity Gauntlet, Titannus and so on.

It's a standard feat for him.

Gladiator beat the shit out of Logan in Morrison's X-Men and his skeleton was perfectly fine.

S'ym wasn't able to damage it either, despite being able to break adamantium from an alternate universe.

Same way an alternate Wolverine broke claws against Deaths Head.

Adamantium is nearly unbreakable, and only nearly because Superman isn't in Marvel to break it.

h1a8

Adamantium is nearly unbreakable, and only nearly because Superman isn't in Marvel to break it.

There is no such thing as near unbreakable. The same as no such thing as near infinite.

StiltmanFTW

616 Wolverine cut the shit out of Death's Head thumb up

Superman sucks.

zopzop
Has anyone destroyed adamantium in 616 reality? The only times I can recall adamantium being damaged was in alternate futures, alternate universes, or it being retconned as secondary adamantium.

carver9
Well, that have been some instances that's debatable. Hulk stabbed Wolverine claws through his skull. Hulk ripping adamantium netting. Hulk breaking Wolverine rib and then we have that Ultron showing.

Morlun have a showing but we dont know if that is secondary.

h1a8
Originally posted by zopzop
Has anyone destroyed adamantium in 616 reality? The only times I can recall adamantium being damaged was in alternate futures, alternate universes, or it being retconned as secondary adamantium.

What Carver said and the fact that Cap's shield has been damaged. Unless you believe that adamantium is more durable than Cap's shield?

Adam Grimes
What Carver said and the fact that Cap's shield has been damaged. Unless you believe that adamantium is more durable than Cap's shield? Cap's shield has never been pure Adamantium iirc and Vibranium just isn't as durable.

StiltmanFTW
Cap's shield is a unique mix, made by a freakish accident, metallurgist dude literally fell asleep when it happened.

Then it got uru added to it.

Adam Grimes
Then it got uru added to it. Uh... Sorry to hear that, Cap.

DarkSaint85
Makes sense.
But it will be difficult to prove writer's intentions, especially if we see Thor mostly hit Hulk and other beings around with between 10-1000 ton force (operate in that range). That's why we have high and low showings.

Not difficult, one just needs to be familiar with Roy Thomas (the writer) and the Thor showings around that time (1969).

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Uh... Sorry to hear that, Cap.

laughing out loud

Bentley

That's one slow speedblitz shifty

Wonder Man
Adamantium grows stronger in new forms so every time it is formed from liquid or has another action with it it will pierce the object.

h1a8
Not difficult, one just needs to be familiar with Roy Thomas (the writer) and the Thor showings around that time (1969).
Thor was wildly inconsistent around that time. He had some shitty lows.

DarkSaint85
But what did the writer think of as his highs?

And what are these lows? Post proof.

h1a8
But what did the writer think of as his highs?

And what are these lows? Post proof.
Tbh I have no idea. We can't know his perception of science.
We have characters like Thing, Iron Man, Colossus, etc with established strength under 150 tons competing with beings like Hulk, Gladiator, etc.

With this being the case we can't be too sure what the writer is thinking as an exact strength range. They are not thinking about exact science. That's why I believe that the handbooks are mostly the writer's opinions on a character's stats. I once posted an official marvel source that stated that the writers were consulted when making the handbooks.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.