Transformers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

duffy
TRANSFORMERS LIVE-ACTION MOVIE
Hasbro announced on Wednesday that it entered into an agreement with producers Tom DeSanto (X-Men and X2: X-Men United) and Don Murphy (The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) for a full-length, live-action Transformers movie.

"Transformers enjoys an amazing fan base worldwide, and we believe that we can create an incredibly fast-paced, exciting movie that will be appealing to anyone who loves action films," Murphy said

"Transformers is one of those rare properties that has been embraced by a generation around the world. Like X-Men, Transformers offers an amazing mythology with all the elements to create a successful ongoing franchise, iconic characters, global themes, and a world that has never been seen before on screen," DeSanto said.

"The property has been successful in every arena it has played in throughout the world - toys, comic books, television - and we now believe it's time to take Transformers to the next level, and into a live action event movie."

"We're thrilled to have entered into an agreement with the very talented and accomplished Don Murphy and Tom DeSanto," said Brian Goldner, president of Hasbro's U.S. toys group. "Transformers is a natural for the big screen, and both Tom and Don have the track record and skill to bring to life a Transformers movie that will be action-packed and flawlessly executed."

Just read this on another forum wot does everyone think????
I cant wait
big grin

duffy
Whoops
didnt see the other thread
sorry embarrasment embarrasment embarrasment embarrasment

Metroplex
I really love the transformer saga. But is this movie going to be animated???

MaverickIce
He said it would be a live action movie

Metroplex
It would be pretty hard to do a live action film with all those robots.

chico23
Don't think they won't try.

bardock
more than meets the eye. robots in diguise.

badsymbiote
I could die over this. Marvel's Transformers and G.I.Joe were the first 2 comics I ever collected. God--it would be so much EASIER to make a GIJoe movie--it would save millions and millions, and would probably be just as popular. Not that I am complaining, mind you--in fact, I couldn't be happier about the idea.
They're gonna have some trouble with a few things right off the bat, though. Like Optimus' trailer appearing and disappearing when he transforms, the size difference between Megtron proportionately when he transforms into the Walther P-38/ Soundwave into a personal stereo, you know that sort of thing. Oh, man, I am such a dork

wuTa
i dont like this...i think these this movie is gonna suck and that there only gonna try and bank off the merchandising...its gonna be like the incredible hulk but maybe worse

R@ven
It can't be done live action unless everything is bluescreen....

Wynndar
we all know transformers and gi joe movies would both suck...there obviously needs to be a Thundercats movie big grin HO!!!!!!!!!!!!

badsymbiote
It'll take a friggen fortune to make. GI Joe is much more feasible and marketable, but these days, they'd probably want to discourage and downplay Cobra's terrorist plots to control the world.

chilled monkey
Oh yes, I'm pleased to hear this. I was a big fan of Transformers when I was little, and I still like it today. A live-action movie should be very impressive.

Mind you, I hope that it is closer in style to the 80's series than the more recent series. The original is the best.

badsymbiote: I know what you mean about the trailer etc. I'm sure that the makers of the movie will sort it out.

Spawnie
I hope they make this s cgi masterpiece big grin. When did they announce the coming out of the movie? 2005? 2006?

papablkbear
I think too much cgi ruins a movie. I don't think this would make for a good show now G.I. JOE now theres a movie. Hell why don't they bring back all the old cartoons like bionic six or silver hawks and see what they can do with those.

Magee
or that crappy rip off of transformers but with animals lol.
Wait wasnt that just transformers in another universe or sumthing?
Bah Never like the damn show anyway.

papablkbear
Ya that transformers was supposed to take place on earth before optimus woke up in the original. They were from the future after the autobots won but were "accidently sent to the past" before the war and the movie and all that other good stuff

badsymbiote
It would really have to begin where the comic and cartoon started. I loved the book. Anybody remember #3--in which our friendly neighborhood spider-man makes a guest appearance in his symbiote cosume? This movie has the potential to be an utter flop before it even hits the rendering table if they don't do it right. But, if I even hear the words "Optimus Primal" or "Rodimus Prime", I'm out the door--

papablkbear
ya if there going to make this live action i think they should stick to the original line up. Nobody from the movie or the revised tv shows.

badsymbiote
Exactly. But, how would you feel about the inclusion of dinobots or constructicons? I wouldn't be against seeing those guys. Also, who's your favorite Autobot and Decepticon?

papablkbear
Hell with jurassic park 4 comming up i can see the dinobots and maybe the constructicons. But if i see omega supreme i'm leaving the theater. Oh and omega supreme was my favorite he was the only autobot that optimus prime couldn't order around he had to ask omega to help him.

papablkbear
my favorite episode of transformers was the one where it shows how omega and devastator were friends.

badsymbiote
Unless, of course, you wanna count all the times that the dinobots rebeled or tried to undermine Optimus' authority. Even Megatron once used Grimlock's contempt for Prime's position as Leader to unite the rest of the dinobots in an attempt to usurp Optimus. Great episode--Megatron points out the weaknesses of the dinobots individually.

Any episode featuring Starscream is an automatic fave of mine.

papablkbear
for som reason when i was growing up i loved starscreams voice

papablkbear
wait i almost forgot soundwave

badsymbiote
God, I DO like you. Starcsream was voiced by Christopher Latta, who died about 10 years ago. Latta also voiced Cobra Commander, of course and a host of minor characters on each show. He also was Klingon Captain Kargan on Star Trek's Next Generation and also once appeared in an episode of Seinfeld that aired in '92 or '93, under the name Christopher Collins which was his real name. Enigmatic.

badsymbiote
About Soundwave, I didn't realize until probably 10 years ago that Soundwave, Megatron and I think Rumble and Frenzy, and lots of others were all voiced my Frank Welker. That guy is awesome. My other GI Joe/Trans voice actors are Peter Cullen, Casey Kasem and the departed Scatman Crothers.

FrothByte
i loved that transformers movie years ago. the one with the robot planet or something. one of my favorite movies of all time. making it live action is gonna pose a problem however. i loved grimlock. all brawn and no brains. my favorite gi joe was stormshadow.

maybe they should be doing movies of all those 80's cartoons:

tigersharks
silverhawks
thundercats
karate kat
conan
visionaries
he man
she ra
galaxy rangers - my favorite cartoons of all time

badsymbiote
Just reading all those names brings a flood of memories to mind. The name of the planet was Unicron (voiced by Orson Welles--i think it was the last thing he did before he died--Welles narrated the 1930's radio broadcast of the "War of the Worlds", you may remember hearing that a number of people killed themselves under the impression that aliens really were invading the earth) The cast was unbelievable. Leonard Nimoy, Eric Idle, John Moschita (fastest-talking man), Judd Nelson, and Robert Stack in addition to the regular cast. Awful soundtrack, though. It was 1987, so, yuck.

badsymbiote
OMG, She-Ra, princess of power...I can still remember the entire intro from He-man--I actually liked that show alot. Loved skeletor. My type of bad guy. Ridiculously evil, and laugh out loud funny. Also, I loved Mumm-ra from the ThunderCats. Bad*ss!

Spawnie
Silverhawks, Thudercats, he man, she ra, these were my favorite big grin.

Favorite Transformer was the one that coiuld become a f14 or something.

I hope they forget about the Beast Wars.

badsymbiote
The decepticon you mentioned could be either Starscream, Thundercracker or Skywarp. Starscream was the coolest--red, white and blue with a yellow cockpit window--thundercracker was blue and red, and Skywarp was purple and black. He could also teleport. Man, as I write all these posts, it occurs to me that I could safely be called the resident Transformer dork. They were so cool, though.

ThunderCats--what were Mumm-ra's henchmen's names? Slithe, Monkeyin, and what was the other guy? Wait, I know this--searching database...Vultureman! That was a good show.

FrothByte
ei maybe we should start a whole new thread on those 80's cartoons

FrothByte
Just reading all those names brings a flood of memories to mind. The name of the planet was Unicron (voiced by Orson Welles--i think it was the last thing he did before he died--Welles narrated the 1930's radio broadcast of the "War of the Worlds", you may remember hearing that a number of people killed themselves under the impression that aliens really were invading the earth) The cast was unbelievable. Leonard Nimoy, Eric Idle, John Moschita (fastest-talking man), Judd Nelson, and Robert Stack in addition to the regular cast. Awful soundtrack, though. It was 1987, so, yuck.

man, i have no idea of who those guys are....

FrothByte
i have a collection of wav files of all the intro songs of these shows. if there's a way to send these files to you id gladly send them if you want. smile

badsymbiote
REALLY?!? big grin

That would be so-o cool of you. But I don't know how to send that type of file, on account of I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff.

papablkbear
the name of the other bad guy on thunderkats was jackal man and later there was luna and here bunch and also thise pirates. I kinda liked bravestar when i was growing up and his partner that talking donkey. Ok who remembers a cartoon called Cadillacs and dinosaurs

MudvanneJessy
i think they r going to suck big time.

badsymbiote
Must've missed that one... roll eyes (sarcastic)

kidding. In addition to Star Blazers, I always thought that the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon was more obscure than it should have been. It was good, but it took too long to catch on, so hardly anybody remembers it.

IRTMU-Dragon
Oh yea, Im ultimately sure itll be CGI, lol... Live action transformers? People with costumes on that can change into cars or automobiles or weapons? Itll most likely be in shrek format, or look like shrek. Or it wil be completely drawn. 3-d more so probably.

badsymbiote
I'd actually be happier with an updated animated movie based on the first season. Or one of the better early comic arcs. But, beggars can't be choosers.

Kontraz
I didnt see if they had this anywhere, so i just posted it here. SO.... what have you guys (and girls) heard about it? I mean, is it really going to come out? There already is a confirmed director, but i lost the link, so i guess that won't help. I just wanna hear what all you guys know or any rumors you've heard....

Cyclops
Should I play Optimus? I have the perfect costume!

No offense, but I think if it happens, it wouldnt be that good. Too much CGI can make a film terrible

Kontraz
well, the producer is don murphay, and its gonna be produced by angry films. There isnt a confirmed director yet. Oh, and heres an idea of what it MIGHT look like. The clip is unofficial, just some guy did in his spare time, so im guess that with a nice budget, it could look even better...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/msmith1015/Frames.htm

Kontraz
just click that link and it should take you to a site. Up at the top click on the "VW Transformer" button and then just look for the clip download thing.....

Alpha Centauri
Considering the fact that even the supporting characters in TF have a fan base, they're gonna get bitched at for whoever they leave out and if they wanna make it awesome then they're gonna have to use Hulk level CGI which will cost way way too much for 14 odd characters or less.

Then there's the matter of the voices. I heard they were getting Cullen and Welker to do Prime and Megs but with the haunting fact that alot of them are dead, who will replace them is beyond me.

-AC

Magee
lol didnt optimus die in the cartoon transformers movie blink Its better that way.

If this movie was 7 years ago i would of wanted it done wink

Kontraz
yeah, he died in the movie, but was brought back at the end of season 3 (last episode, actually) because too many people complained. I personally wish he stayed dead, it would have made his sacrifice more meaningful. But yeah, about the voices... Good ol' Frankie did, Ithink, over half of the decepticon voices... im pretty sure anyway. I KNOW he did Megatron and Soundwave (because simply, nobody else can), and i'm pretty sure he did either thundercracker or skywarp (maybe both, i cant remember). Too bad starscream's voice actor is dead.... thats why you shouldnt take drugs. You just piss off all your fans when you die from an overdose. I guess they could get the guy that does his voice in armada/energon. He sounds really different, but it sounds good enough. Anyway, the other voices shouldn't be too too hard to replicate, as they didn't stand out as well as Prime's, Megatron's, Soundwave's, and Starscream's.

ScarletSpider
I love how hollywood hits the nostalgia nail on the head and sells me my childhood back at 8 dollars a pop for a movie ticket.

Kontraz
ya gotta love it wink

FeceMan
Boooo!

The entire film would probably be done in CGI...at least, I would hope so.

Arachnoidfreak
Wait, Optimus died? How does a machine die?? Can't you just repair it?

Kontraz
actually, they said they are going to use as many actual props as possible, because the director feels that cgi makes it even more unbelievable...

as for a machine dying, that has been a running gag on message boards for a while. They say that perceptor should have repaired him, but perceptor is an idiot, and just uses big words to try and impress people. Megatron knew this all along, and so he killed ratchet and wheeljak... the only two that have shown they know how to repair the others...

Alpha Centauri
I personally rather it doesn't get done.

-AC

Kontraz
/shrug people were saying that about spider-man, x-men, and the hulk before they were made, and with the exception of the last one, i think they were wrong...

chrissyg
ok i never heard any rumors but i hope this is how it is i hope its CGI like the hulk type and i hope its beast wars not normal transformers and i hope the maximals are
1.Optimus Prime
2.Ryhnox
3.Rattrap
4.Cheetor
5.Dinobot

Predacons

1.Megatron
2.Scoponok
3.Terrasour
4.Dinobot(origanally bad then turns good like on the show)
5.Trantalus
6.Waspinator
7.Inferno
8.Quickstrike(maybe to go with trantulas)

Alpha Centauri
If they do it and it's anything BUT G1 Transformers, I'll boycott it.

-AC

chrissyg
beast wars is the best transformers is ok but i watched every episode of the beast wars series

moshtitan
beast wars sucked. the original owned it so hardcore.

RaventheOnly
^ i second that...

Kontraz
i dont believe in beastwars. It was made by a bunch of canadians (no offense if anybody's canadian) that NEVER EVEN WATCHED TRANSFORMERS!!!! In their interviews, they admitted to never having seen a single episode of the original, and only in the second (or third) did they even slightly try to tie it in

and it is going to be G1... thats already been comfirmed.

and, hey, raven, isnt that terra in your sig?

FeceMan

chrissyg
ok there was offense tooken about the canadian thing im canadian there was offense tooken there that really hurt

FeceMan
It was a joke. Peter Griffin.

Manowar
first off, Transformers are gay-ass rip offs of Gundams! and second, i think this movie will be a waste of time and money! they sould make a live action Gundam movie instead of those infernal dumbshit Transformers

ragesRemorse
there is no way this movie could ever be good. O rememebr hearing that jhon woo was interested in this film at one time, but who knows with that guy, he was trying to make another ninja turtles movie, jhon woo sucks anymore so even if that worked out, that wouldnt matter much. Then you have the question on which story line to do, the best and only way to go is to go buy the old comics and cartoons, they had the best characters and most intriugingstories. everything starting with beast wars and up is a sad exscuse of the transformers. The only way to do it live action is with CGI, as AC pointed out this would cost an insane amount of money, more than the transformers fan loyalty can give it. Also to much CGI is a bad thing

ragesRemorse
yeah and transformers arent a gay ass rip off of Gundam, the comics that inspired the actual creation of the transformers was around since the early seventies in japan.

Kontraz
seems more like gundam (especially wing zero and epyon, both being able to transform) are more like a pretty cool rip off of transformers wink Anyway, they already did an anime movie (in 86) as well as 3 anime series. And yes, CGI would cost a bit, but i'm sure they can come up with the money. Nowadays, MOST movies are hardly more than CGI.

Oh, and as i said earlier, it is based on G1, NOT BEAST WARS.

ragesRemorse
Yeah and that movie still stands as one of my favorites. That movie rocks major sweet ass. The first time i saw this movie i was a little boy and i remember crying when prime died, and getting goosebumps when hot rod went PRIME. shit who am ikidding, i still do. this movie alone kicks all of gundam ass

Magee
Transformers suck wink

ragesRemorse
not as badly as you though

Magee
No, they suck more.

Spawnie
Gundam is something that I watched with Transformers, Voltron, Vultus 5, Robotech, Mazinger Z, Yattaman, Tekkaman, etc.

Every single one of them was good for something, so don't diss any of them. I don't care wich came first! The bottom line is that the original Transformers had a way better story and charisma then the later ones.
Beast Wars r not to be mentioned, it's a shame that they actually made something that stupid. I hate it cuz with the BEast Wars the original story's were just showed away and the whole Transformer idea transformed into some idiotic run for money and new lines of toys.

I remember being 9 years old and plotting a plan on how to steal my friends porche transformer, lol. He had it and I didn't, it was one of the sweetest transformers for me. It was blue with racing stickers, and back then they made the body(car body) out of metal and the inside of plastic.

I love the Transformers, and I would love to see a real movie done. I wouldn't mind if they made it like Final Fantasy, just with a more exciting story.

ragesRemorse
shit man i remember those old transformer toys, they kicked so much ass, i mean God made them to show how much ass action figures could kick. some of them were made of complete metal, or intermixed with metal and plastic, and they were damn hard to transform, if you had just boughten one and wanted to see them transformed, you had to dedicate half an afternoon to transform the bastards.They were like a rubix cube, but possible

FeceMan
Optimus Prime is Jewish, you know.

ragesRemorse
here I thought he was a machine

chrissyg
gundam was made after transformers

Victor Von Doom
And yet you cry upon his animated death. eek!

badsymbiote
Thank you, Spawnie, for equalizing this thread with some common sense. As someone who had also been conceived and alive when the original series was created (along with the other great cartoon stuff), I value your opinion. At first, I was excited when I heard about this, but I would really prefer than it remain animated. The cgi will definately either make or break the movie, and as I wrote before, in a thread someone else started last month, this movie has the potential to be a complete flop before it hits the rendering tables.
G1 is the premise that even makes sense, and the voices would be the other thing the validate it, and though we have lost many along the way, (Chris Latta-Starscream, Reflector, many more: and Scatman Crothers-Jazzz--who is the Posche that you mentioned earlier) they could be replaced. I heard a pretty good new version of Cobra Commander's voice on a GI Joe dvd that was released last year, and though it wasn't the same, it was honestly pretty good. Most voice actors are fairly consciencious, and they don't want to violate the sanctity of the characters anymore than we do.

Oh, and the original version of Transformers took a sh*t, and it was Beast Wars.

Kontraz
you should really check out this link for an example of what the cgi COULD be like, and that was very low-budget. With a movie budget, just imagine what it could look like!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/msmith1015/Frames.htm

just click on "vw transformer" up at the top, then scroll down in the new window until you find place you can click to watch it big grin

Spawnie
I saw the clip and I showed it to my cgi ignorent friends, and they were surprised on the quality of the video. Guys give it 5 minutes to check out what that guy did in 3d studio max. Very cute and nicely done.

In the 80's they made toys that could last u a lifetime. It wasnt' just the transformers that were made of metal. I remember looking at a nice big Mazinger Z made out of metal and the joints were magnetic. He had more then one set of other flying fists and such. U can still se it on E bay I think. It'a a delux limited edition that is 20 years old, straight from japan. It was the best toy I have ever seen.

In the 80's we had a boom of robot like toons, and so it was in the toy stores also. But back then it was worth going to the store and buying a Vultus 5 made mostly out of mettalic spray painted metal. I remember being 6 and walking into a store toy store in Italy, that store had a whole wall full of robot like toys. Now picture yourself being 6 years old and your mom says that u have to pick ONE! I was so nervous that I didn't know what to do, I was there and I couldn't choose, lol. I almost cried cuz I only had to take one, hhhahahahha.

U don't get those kind of toys anymore, the golden age is over. And so is the age of original scripts and good movies. It can still be done but noone is really trying, right?

Spawnie
I almost forgot, RagesRemorse.

I remember that with those transformers u got a booklet of instructions on how to transform them. If u didn't perform it in a right manner then the results were that u could brake one of the little joints. For those that don't know, the joints had small screws on them, like the ones on watches. I really miss those toys.

Kontraz
i hate it when they'd break. I have all of the construcitcons, so i can form devestator... but the parts that connect the arms to the torso dont hold anymore... i have to use rubber bands confused

badsymbiote
Bummer. If my kids hadn't lost my Scavenger and Scrapper guys, I'd still be able to make Devastator, too. Sigh. Hindsight's always 20/20. I'd give almost anything to have those Megatron, Optimus and Starscream toys back, too.

ragesRemorse
yeah, i remember the first time i got optimus and he came in the mack truck trailer. Toys kicked ass back in those days. no toys has shit on the original transformers, gi joe, and exosquad

FeceMan
I always got frustrated because I found it difficult and time-consuming to transform the little buggers.

Kontraz
ghostbusters and ninja turtles used to be awesome too, can't leave those out....

ragesRemorse
defaintly i had the ghostbusters firehouse and ecto 1. When i get amrried im going to wear a ghostbuster jump suit and a proton pack, but everyone else must wear suits and ties

Spawnie
Lol, oh lordie. Well it's an original idea. big grin

I only had a few ghost busters (me and my brother), no houses. sad

I also had a big ass RoboCop that could change weapons on his right forearm. I think it was like 18 inches.

I wish for the old transformers to come back as a toy line. I mean why not, they probably will if the movie has any success.

badsymbiote
God, they're even harder now, since they're made of plastic, and they're so complicated. You want to transform them, but you're afraid, because if ya twist or turn a part the wrong way, it snaps off. And then you have to transform some of the new one 6 or 7 times before you get the hang of it. And if you lose the directions, you're hatin' it.

badsymbiote
They actually have released a line called the Commemorative Editions--a limited line that will keep expanding. Replicas of the originals, even exactly to scale, and the prices are reasonable--about $30 apiece so far. For Autobots, last season's re-issues include Ironhide, Jazz, maybe Red-Alert, and a couple of others that I can't remember. No Optimus, but I still have my original.
Decepticon releases are Starscream and Thundercracker, and I think Skywarp, and I can't remember who else, but there are more. No Megatron or Soundwave yet, but I am sure they will redo those as well. Hopefully while I'm still (relatively) young.

Spawnie
do u have a site that has those? if u do plz post!

badsymbiote
Oh, sure. I love the first site I'll post below--it's totally comprehensive, and one of my faves. The 2nd is Hasbro's Trasnformers site. I saw today that they are releasing a 20th anniversary edition of Optimus Prime! I imagine it'll sell for about $40-50.

http://www.planetcybertron.com

http://www.transformers.com

Kontraz
its closer to 60 or 70 i think, and im pretty sure its already out...

ronniepooch

Kontraz
okay.... that was a good post and all, but you wanted discussion, so heres what ive been able to discover

about the voice actors... over 80% of the actors from the original are DEAD, including starscream's from a crack overdose (stupid drugs, i hate them!!!) They DID however manage to recruit the original voice actors for Optimus Prime and Megatron/Soundwave/varoius other decepticons (same voice).

About Transforming... so far, all thransformers are said to still transform into their original forms, except for Megatron. And no, its not because of the "shrinking" issue, its because hasbro can no longer make toys that resemble real firearms, and if they were to do a movie edition of the toys (which i highly expect they will) they would be unable to make one for the main antagonist.

Oh, and Yes, it is Generation 1 transformers

badsymbiote
That's too bad about Megatron--he was one of my favorite toys. The level of detail on the S&W Walther P-38 was absolutely outstanding. It's a real pity they won't re-release it. It's no more dangerous than any of the other weaponry from the show or the comic.
I thought most of the other voice actors were alive--and that we had only lost a handful along the way--most notably Chris Latta and Scatman Crothers.
You say they were able to cast Frank Welker (Megatron/Soundwave) AND Peter Cullen (Optimus Prime/Ironhide)? That's outstanding. I see Welker actively still working on many cartoon shows even now, and Peter Cullen worked on several of Disney's cartoon shows and still does commercial voicework for Cartoon Network--including the current advertisements for Toonami.
Also, I know that Casey Kasem is still alive and well, and still doing the voice of Shaggy from Scooby Doo and also voiced Cliffjumper and the Autobot mainframe Teletran-1. Then there's B.J.Ward, who did Scarlett from GI Joe and Arcee from the Transformers movie, Jack Angel, Michael Bell, Neil Ross, Don Messick, and Corey Burton. I'm pretty sure all of them are still alive, too. And then there's all the people I'm forgetting from the original series, as well as the celebrity voices from the movie--which are considerable in number and quality.
Leonard Nimoy (Galvatron), Judd Nelson (Hot Rodd-R. Prime), Robert Stack (Ultra Magnus), John Moschitta (Blurr), Lionel Standish as the aged war hero Kupp, and the now deceased Orson Welles, who played Unicron. There are more, but that's all I remember off-hand.

Kontraz
well, heres the list of the alive and dead rollcall, i guess...

Jack Angel (Astrotrain), Susan Blu (Arcee), Arthur Burghardt (Devastator), Greg Berger (Grimlock), Michael Bell (Prowl, Swoop, several others), Corey Burton (Spike, Shockwave, Brawn), Paul Eiding (Perceptor), Dan Geilvezan (Bumblebee), and Casey Kasem (Cliffjumper)

All the others are dead! Scatman Crothers (Jazz), John Messick (Ratchet), the guy for Cyclonus, Blitzwing, etc... they're all dead. BJ Davis (Dirge) retired from voice acting, so did Walker Edminston (Inferno), and Buster Jones (Blaster).

Spawnie
I don't think they wont' be able to find ppl that can replicate those voices or make some new ones. I'm sure that replacements can be found without too much trouble.

badsymbiote
All the others? That's only like 5 people. I didn't know Messick and Jones were dead. That's too bad. Ratchet's voice ought to be easy enough to match, and Blaster wasn't even there until the 2nd season, so that solves that issue as well. What else have you got? 6 or 7 dead out of 30+ who contributed, is still pretty decent--and technically nowhere even near 80%.
But your thorough research of the current status of all those people is pretty impressive, so let's call it even. We both know a ton about the Transformers--that's fairly obvious. Between the two of us, I bet we could answer any question the others may have, don't you agree?

Kontraz
of course I agree... and my knowledge of Venom is increasingy quite rapidly as I have bought 5 complete venom series over the past month... we shall make an unstoppable force!

badsymbiote
Who dares try to stop us? We'll crush the weak Autobots and the puny flesh creatures into dust.

Kontraz
well, i jsut heard that good ol' stephen speilburg is on board. Of course, this is just another rumor. THough i cant possibly see how he COULD handle the movie, seeing as the release date is early 2006... I mean, he's currently working on two or three big projects, not to mention a possible indiana jones 4, but how is he supposed to spend any time at all with the TF project?!?

Oh,i also heard they arent allowing transformers to "change size'... as in megatron cant get smaller and become a gun, and soundwave cant become a cassette player.... for megs, its not too big a change,they can always make him a tank, like in G2, but what about soundwave?!?!?!? (see my pic). How can they have soundwave, but not give him his cassetticons?!?!?!??

Spawnie
Spielberg is supposed to be an additional help I guess. Don't ponder too much wait for a few moinths and we'll get some fresher news.

Kontraz
still... im really worried about soundwave....

Kontraz
Okay, new question for this. It's been confirmed that there will be 14 TF characters, 7 autobots and 7 decepticons. Also, one of the robots (doesnt say which faction) will be NON-G1, as in it will be armada, energon, beastwars or something else... Which characters do you think WILL be in the movie, and which characters would you WANT to be in the movie???

badsymbiote
If I have to choose 7 from each affiliation, I choose:

DECEPTICONS--Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave, maybe Skywarp, Ravage, Astrotrain, Laserbeak or Thundercracker, but I wish we could see the 6 Contructicons and Devastator

AUTOBOTS-- Optimus, Jazz, Bumblebee, Ironhide, Sideswipe, Wheeljack, and maybe Skyfire, who actually began as a Decepticon--and of course, in a perfect world, the Dinobots

charlize_baby
i dunno but arcee better be in it..! she represents us females..! how come there was only ever one female transformer?? arcee rocks..! ha ha ha..!

badsymbiote
She wasn't first generation--but she could be the "one" kontraz mentioned...but, thanks for throwing out her name--we COULD stand a little more estrogen on these threads...

charlize_baby
hehe thanks.. i remember watching the transformers movie and that would be totally excellent if they kept the new movie like that but i wouldn't be against cgi.. its too early to know anything concrete right now.. you know what, i might give transformers the movie a go in my vcr right now..! its been a while.. is this movie out on dvd? if it is, i must be living under a rock..

ragesRemorse
Man, i just spent a goof fifteen minutes of my life dreddging through the archives for this damn thread, after going through 20 20 or so pages and seing many transformer pages, i came back to the front page for the hell of it and here it was, god dammit. that was a long fifteen minutes in my life, I have however remebered how many pointless V.S, and wha if threads have been started here. Any hooo.

I think a transforemrs live action movie could be a blast. ONly, Only if the writers choose to stick to the original stories. Then i could say that i would be higly anticipating a transformers movie, but if it goes to beasts wars or the armada bullshit, i will renounce my faith in the transforemers love. I'm telling you man, we better get ,

Optimus prime, of course, As the original MAC Truck.
jazz.. That sports car we love so much
Bublebee, Shit he is always there, you know it a Volkwswagon,Bug
Ironhide, He is the accountable loyal one. Sports car or truck.
Prowl. well we need a cop car of course on the good guys side, its only natural .
forget his name man, he was amongst the originals aswell, he transformend into a hellicopter, i would say this guy, or jet fire, because you need some air coverage.
Last but not least on the auto bots of course ULtramagnus, the all so loyal soldier...Truck, with a car acrrier.

Deceptacons. easy of course Megatron..badass gun for star scream, or eigther mounted gun, i could except that. Starscream, Jet. Soundwave, satelite system, able to dispense mini-cons. Armorhide...bad ass tank. Maybe we could have the last three as scavenger, Powerlinx, and thurst. It would be cool if we could have all these original characters, i would be cool if these three deceptacons would combine to form A mock Demolisher, for a bad ass ending for the autobots to battle against.

Now this would be my sweet and perfect transforemers movie, but yeah i know they will invest more in the armada bullshit,they'll make opitums a firetruck, and it goes downhill from there what the hell is hot shot? i mean really. just say hot rod man.

What would be even sweeter, is if we just got a live action of the movie. Now that is of course asking to much

badsymbiote
It is. I got it for Christmas last year. smile

badsymbiote
RR--nice to see that you've given this some thought.

The helicopter you're referring to is Springer. The jet is Skyfire.

Thanks for mentioning Prowl--he's one I had forgotten to mention, and one of my favorites. So damned logical.

I think I would actually prefer an entirely up-dated and animated movie featuring the original first season characters and premise. That would be MY ultimate dream come true. The animation today would make it absolutely unforgettable.

Kontraz
its either "jetfire" or "skyfire". Skyfire was the cartoon name, but in all the comics (even the recent, ongoing ones) he is jetfire.

Arcee was G1, all of the chars in the movie were G1, and those in season 3 (post movie). There were 4 fembots, though i cant name them all.....

Anyway, my list would be....

Autobots:
1) Optimus Prime
2) Jazz
3) Ironhide
4) Wheeljak
5) Grimlock
6) Hotrod
7) Ratchet

Decepticons (the entire original cartoon team!):
1) Megatron
2) Starscream
3) Thundercracker
4) Skywarp
5) Soundwave (with cassettes)
6) Reflector (all 3 of "him"wink
7) Shockwave

they've already said that Megatron won't be a gun, cuz its against hasbro's non-violent BS now, but he can still be a tank... and if he was a tank, then it would be G2 Megatron (NOT G1) which takes care of the "non-G1) char problem

ragesRemorse
Yeah, and paired with an edgy rock soundtrack like the original did . Hell yeah, i think that would rock hella kick ass style, focus on some major anime style artistry. I think no better omage could be paid. I am still curious to see how it would appear in live action CGI and puppetry though,i think it could be done impressivlely, but as long as i get my original characters with some edgyness,i'll be happy.

As for the no violence thing, i think that just may spoil anyhopes i have for this movie. I mean it's war. the transformers were contantly at war, and war is violent, but can be executed in an inspiring and uplifting manner , like the original shows, and movie did. Hot rod was always my favorite after the movie to, i loved rodimus. Thanks for the heads up on springer, that cures an itch on my tongue.

Kontraz
let me rephrase the "non violent" deal... Its cuz the G1 megatron toy transformed into an actual gun, not just resembled, but was the actual size, color scheme, etc. That was too close for the toy company, so in G2 they changed him to a tank. Now, obviously they are still at war, but they will need to use something not quite as realistic as an actual, life-size firearm for if (and when) they release a movie set of toys...

ragesRemorse
oh well yes, that does clear up some worries. Again as long as the originals are there, with a solid story I am looking forward to the tranformers.

badsymbiote
It could be time for me to dig out my Transformers universe issues...

Kontraz, how come you picked Reflector as one of your Decepticons? Just wondering why. Did you like his sense of humor or something? And why no Prowl on YOUR Autobot list? That surprised me, I'll admit.

I can certainly see why they decided not to market Megatron as a gun--tanks are much less violent roll eyes (sarcastic)

Actually, I'm gonna be honest here--I hated the soundtrack--and I still do. So butt-rocky. But, I never liked that kind of music anyway.

And, yes, the gun WAS fairly specific. It was a highly-detailed chrome looking, Smith and Wesson Walther P-38. But I still think it's friggen stupid for them to change it, you can still find toy guns on the shelves of any toy store, but I guess these guys have decided that they don't wanna be "part of the problem". I say f*ck that--I was really hoping to get my paws on another real Megatron someday.

Kontraz
prowl is good, i was thinking either him or hot rod, but if they do a sequal, i'd like to have hot rod's char built up a little more, though they could always do a sequal with him being introduced in the beginning like in the animated movie.

As for reflector, i personally don't like him all too much, but he was part of the ORIGINAL G1 cartoon decepticon team. I just choose the original team, cuz they are probably the most familiar. Megatron, 3 seekers, soundwave and perceptor. I threw in shockwave cuz he was shown in the original, though he wasnt really part of the team...

badsymbiote
I really like Shockwave, too. You've got to admire the Hell out of someone who wouldn't desert their post after more than 4 million years. Now, THAT'S dedication.

Kontraz
yeah, if you're talking about cartoon continuity.... if you are talking about comics (either dreamwave or marvel) its completely different

In marvel, shockwave follows the two battling ships and kills off all the autobots cuz the cons were losing to them, then he claims leadership for himself.

In dreamwave, good ol' shockers and everyone else on cybertron end up running out of energy and shutting down until scourge (who is of unicron) reactivates shockwave who then turns on scourge and ends up finally reactivating everyone else and unifies all of cybertron in order to gain and maintain energon. Then, once cybertronian economy was good enough, Shockwave came with a strike force to earth, killed megatron (well, deactivated him, then starscream finished the job, more or less, against shockwave's orders), and informed everyone about how the war was over.... i could go on and on about this, seeing as that was all in the first issue of 6.... but i'll just stop for now...

badsymbiote
Who told you to stop? Write more about Dreamwave's stuff...
I'll check later, I'm missing Teen Titans.

badsymbiote
And, yes--naturally I'd allude to the cartoon first and foremost--it's the easies to reference and the most familiar to fans worldwide.
Seems downright logical to me. wink

Kontraz
I agree, the original cartoon was the best, though dreamwave's animation is simply beautiful, and the stories are much more in depth. One thing i never understood about dreamwave is how it started. There was no actual "beginning". It started with the transformers being awoken on earth a SECOND time, the first being when they crashed 4 million years ago, yet they never showed nor talked about the initial crash. Their "2nd awakening" takes place in modern day (i think it was 2002) when some people dug up whatever transformers they could find and reactivated them in hopes of controlling them.

What happened was in the year 200 or so, the autobots and the forces of earth teamed up and finally beat the decepticons. Then theyboth made a new "ark" (the ship that took the bots from cybertron to earth) and, with the decepticons in a prison cell on the ark, took along 5 humans or so and were going back to cybertron. Among the 5 humans was sparkplug (spike's dad).

Well, an unknown problem occurs (which turns out to be a "glitch" installed by the people who are now trying to use the reawakened transformers) which causes the ark to explode in earth's atmosphere, killing the humans and sending all TF's into a stasis lock (basically dead, but can be revived). The TFs landed in various locations throughout the world.

badsymbiote
Does Spike have Daniel or any son in this story if Sparkplug's dead-- about how old is Spike? Thanks for explaining--it sounds really good. I'm gonna go get some this week.

Kontraz
yeah, daniel's about 8. Right now it is setting up PERFECTLY for the movie. The autobot's are preparing to aid the earth in the fight against a plague of insecticons by sending in all of their best troops, which will leave Cybertron open for a decepticon attack (and megatron is currently on his way back to cybertron with some "junkion seekers" he had wreck gar build him). While on earth, they will no doubt build autobot city. and on cybertron, the autobots are about to build two moon bases.

Oh, and when does the movie take place? 2005... when will unicron most likely show up, as he has already been hinted at? Next year....

badsymbiote
COOL!!! VERY COOL!
I am getting some of those this week for sure. The timeline all seems just right--even Daniel's age. The moon bases, where some of the Autobots will be stationed when Unicron attacks..so many neat little details falling into place. Must be a great read.

Spawnie
Wow that sounded really interesting! that was a cool story, can u write some more?

badsymbiote
Yeah, how about it? We never got to it on Yahoo the other night, Kontraz, so how about a little more?

Kontraz
Okay, the "story" was the first few issues to volume one, so i'll finish that off then go ahead and do volume 2

1:
Megatron can never be controlled, pure and simple. So eventually he retalliates against the guys controlling him and after reactivating a few of his 'cons, creates a virus by mixing transformer robotics with human DNA. It creates a metal like goop that keeps growing and turns whatever it touches to metal, in an attempt to turn earth into a 2nd cybertron. Grimlock ends up joining up with him, cuz he's tired of humans trying to kill him even when he's fighting for THEIR lives.

some 'good humans' end up reactivating Optimus Prime, who then uses the matrix to reawaken the downed autobot force. They meet up with Megatron and end up having a big brawl (that features an awesome fight between superion and devestator). Meanwhile, part of the autobot force is combating the virus.

Starscream and the seekers end up forcing superion to turn back into the arial bots through concussion missle barrages, so devestator is obviously in control now. Because they are so outmatched, many autobots end up pretty much giving up. Optimus however, gives a great monologue on how he is still a soldier, not just a leader, and manages to down Devastator by ramping off of a broken highway, transforming mid-air, landing on devastator's chest (devestator and superion are as tall as skyscrapers, so optimus is about the size of a mouse in comparison.) and killing him with one blast from his rifle to the eye.

the autobots manage to defeat the decepticons, and the other autobot team is able to stop the virus, but wheeljack sacrfices himself against the virus (though he is somehow still alive in volume 2...) and superion reforms and sacrifices himself to stop a nuke that the humans launched. Optimus prime gives a great monologue as the two events take place at the same time.

After the nuke's explosion, Prime is knocked out by a shockwave from the bomb. when he reawakens, its a few hours earlier. Most of the other autobots are awake again, but all of the 'cons have disappeared, save grimlock, who optimus helps out from under a huge pile of rubble.

Optimus Prime tells him that his "teammates" have abandoned him and he should rejoin the autobots. While saying this, Prime looks into the crowds of people and is able to see groups thanking the autobots and cheering for them. Grimlock then looks into the group and sees them cursing ALL transformers and saying they should all be killed just so THEIR war will finally be over.

Grimlock denies Prime's offer and walks off into the distance. Prime admits that he can actually understand grimlock, and part of him wants to follow him as well, and that now the war will never be the same.

end of volume 1

I'll do volume 2 a bit later....

Kontraz
issue 7 finally came out... its over a month late, but still great!

thundercracker
as u might of guessed from my name im a thundercracker fan as long as hes in this movie im happy

thundercracker
sure they can just try and you wll see how easy it is

thundercracker
actually they need all the seekers in this cause they got a big fanbase espessially starscream

leowyatt
i have go to dreamworksfansite.com will be released in '06

leowyatt
the movie will be CGI

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.