Why are Marvel Movies doing better than Star Wars Movies?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BrolyBlack

Zenwolf
Because they didn't plan the ST for SW...they just did whatever.

BrolyBlack
ST?

NemeBro
Better focus groups, much smaller and less rabid fanbase to offens, they' tend to be better overall, etc.

NotAllThatEvil
Sequel trilogy.
It's because they don't respect the source material

playa1258
Much better planning and great leadership.

ShadowFyre
Originally posted by NemeBro
Better focus groups, much smaller and less rabid fanbase to offens, they' tend to be better overall, etc.

Something like this, y'all gotta remember, Marvel and comics were considered kinda nerdy before Iron Man came out, now everybody and their dog is a Marvel expert.

SW and Star Trek fans have always been pretty touchy.

And just because one does well does not mean another would. If you had given all of Star Wars to feige and the Russo's, they could have very well ****ed it up even worse.

I also believe that Disney is a soulless Cash cow and we are going to be seeing a serious decline in movie quality from the Marvel department as well. I think Endgame really was the end.

BruceSkywalker

jaden_2.0
They had an overarching plan up to Endgame and did the detail as they went. They rarely reacted to negative reviews of certain films (probably the only big tone change was in the Thor trilogy from Dark World to Ragnarok)

They also have better relationships between characters in the MCU and the only one they pulled back on was Banner and Natasha.

BackFire
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Because they didn't plan the ST for SW...they just did whatever.

This is pretty much the answer. They had no real plan for the new movies, each movie was made without any real thought on how to connect to the next one. There was no coherent roadmap, if there was one at all.

Disney also less willing to take risks on who they gave the franchise to. With Marvel they would give movies to relatively unknown or up and coming indie directors. Like the Russos only directed a few television episodes before they directed Winter Soldier, if I'm not mistaken, now they've directed the highest grossing film of all time. Taika Waititi was known for a quirky vampire comedy, then they gave him the reins to Thorn. James Gunn was known for off the wall Troma horror movies, gave him Guardians of the Galaxy.

With Star Wars, aside from Rian Johnson, they've given their movies to very famous or mainstream directors or producers. Without risk, there won't be much reward for them.

This might be changing with Mandalorian. I hear Werner Herzog wants to do an episode next season, if he likes it maybe he'd do a Star Wars movie of some kind. I hope they learn from the success of Mandalorian, and see that doing something different and daring is what leads to success.

ShadowFyre
Is the mandalorian that good?

BackFire
It's good. Not amazing, but it's compelling and it seems to have done the impossible - be enjoyed by the majority of Star Wars fans. And it's doing all that without Jedi or much stuff about the force. Essentially it's a western in the Star Wars universe.

Psychotron
The planned them out for one. For two they actually like their core fanbase.

steverules_2
Marvel plans the movies out in phases and with a competant team

With Star Wars they didn't have a plan at all, the ST is proof of that. Could say the OT is as well considering Leia turned out to be Luke's sister. erm

ShadowFyre
I keep seeing ST, is that for sequel trilogy?

steverules_2
Yeah, gets mistaken for Star Trek.

StiltmanFTW

ShadowFyre
Also I would like to point out that Marvel just made movies based off of preestablished stories from the comics. I'm surprised no one brought that up already. Marvel already had 50 + years of stories to choose from. Makes it a lot easier.

steverules_2

NotAllThatEvil
And everybody wished they did

ShadowFyre

-Pr-

Surtur

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by -Pr-
1. Planning.
2. Kevin Feige.

thumb up

Lucasfilm without Lucas can't hold a candle to Marvel Studios with Feige.

And, as Shadow mentioned, MCU actually derives a lot from the source material...

Darth Thor
^ If Lucas ran the show, but didnt direct or script (same as with TCW series), then this definitely would have been a franchise that would be going toe to toe with Marvel.

Silent Master
For the most part, The MCU used established characters and was fairly respectful to the OG fanbase while courting new fans.

Star Wars "let the past die, kill it if you have to"

Insane Titan
Marvel movies are becoming as bad as Star Wars movies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.