Skyrim is really, REALLY bad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
is what I would say if I didn't like it.

Surtur
wut

cdtm
He was right the first time.

eThneoLgrRnae
Skyrim is not a bad game at all. Although I tend to prefer the Fallout games since, imo, they are much more true RPG's (particularly New Vegas which is probably one of my top 3 favorite games of all-time) than Skyrim is. Skyrim is still pretty damn good though even if the RPG aspects of it aren't all that great.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by cdtm
He was right the first time. You seriously need to figure out what you like, you're so odd in that way.

I recall at one point talking to you every other day about Dragon's Dogma and how much we both liked it, then in a thread I'd say a few months back, maybe a year, you said "One thing's for sure, Skyrim > Dragon's Dogma".

Now you're saying Skyrim's shit again, it's just really weird dude.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
Skyrim is not a bad game at all. Although I tend to prefer the Fallout games since, imo, they are much more true RPG's (particularly New Vegas which is probably one of my top 3 favorite games of all-time) than Skyrim is. Skyrim is still pretty damn good though even if the RPG aspects of it aren't all that great. I love Skyrim, it was the game that set me on the path of action-rpg's, I remember watching Tobuscus play it, my friend's in school talking about it.

Oddly enough, I only finished Skyrim's main story this year, back in the day though I modded the hell out of it and got 300+ hours in the game without getting very far in the story at all.

I even made some mods for it, which were honestly pretty shit:
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/56777/

cdtm
Skyrim is not a bad game at all. Although I tend to prefer the Fallout games since, imo, they are much more true RPG's (particularly New Vegas which is probably one of my top 3 favorite games of all-time) than Skyrim is. Skyrim is still pretty damn good though even if the RPG aspects of it aren't all that great.

Trouble with Skyrim, is it isn't really an RPGs, and for doesn't matter isn't really a game.

There's no real challenge to speak of, because of how leveling and crafting ust makes you absurdly overpowered. And you aren't so much role playing, if you can literally be EVERYTHING, and just wander around scripted events.

It's a sandbox experience, and a very immersive one at first, but it's the gaming equivalent of chinese food.

eThneoLgrRnae
But... I like chinese food. big grin

Yeah, as I said, the rpg elements are kind of lacking but it's still a pretty good game, imo. I loved the exploring and beautiful scenery and the combat was decent enough, imo.

To me, it's a sub-par rpg but an above average game overall. That is, above average when compared to other games (non-rpg's) that I've played.

As an RPG, I give it only like a 6/10, but overall I give it probably about an 8/10.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Jmanghan
You seriously need to figure out what you like, you're so odd in that way.

I recall at one point talking to you every other day about Dragon's Dogma and how much we both liked it, then in a thread I'd say a few months back, maybe a year, you said "One thing's for sure, Skyrim > Dragon's Dogma".

Now you're saying Skyrim's shit again, it's just really weird dude. He's trolling, he's just parroting contrary opinions for the sake of doing so. He deliberately tries to cultivate a persona of subtle obnoxiousness.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by NemeBro
He's trolling, he's just parroting contrary opinions for the sake of doing so. He deliberately tries to cultivate a persona of subtle obnoxiousness. I get that but it's weird when he sounds so sincere about something then goes back to the trolling out of nowhere, if you're gonna troll, go all out.

I'm probably just bitching because I haven't slept, lol.

cdtm
Originally posted by NemeBro
He's trolling, he's just parroting contrary opinions for the sake of doing so. He deliberately tries to cultivate a persona of subtle obnoxiousness.

By subtle, did you mean totally transparent? sad

Adam Grimes
Skyrim is garbage

eThneoLgrRnae
Nah.

Adam Grimes
Nah. yeah

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Skyrim is garbage What do you dislike about it?

Graphics are subpar, the combat is shit, there could be a bit more color in the world and the main story could be better, but its pretty fun besides that.

-Pr-
I honestly think Skyrim is pretty weak in several areas, especially narrative, but a lot of the issues you could have with it can be fixed with modding, and when it is modded, it's a lot of fun.

It won't topple DAO as my favourite fantasy rpg, but I've still sunk plenty of hours in to it.

cdtm
Originally posted by -Pr-
I honestly think Skyrim is pretty weak in several areas, especially narrative, but a lot of the issues you could have with it can be fixed with modding, and when it is modded, it's a lot of fun.

It won't topple DAO as my favourite fantasy rpg, but I've still sunk plenty of hours in to it.

I play on an Xbox 360.

-Pr-
I play on an Xbox 360.

you poor thing.

Jmanghan
you poor thing. I sent you a message.

cdtm
you poor thing.

It's no PS2. thumb up

At least it gives me a decently upscaled Ninja Gaiden Black.

Jmanghan
Ninja Gaiden Black or Ninja Gaiden Sigma? Which is better?

eThneoLgrRnae
What do you dislike about it?

Graphics are subpar, the combat is shit, there could be a bit more color in the world and the main story could be better, but its pretty fun besides that.

There's only so much color you can put into a world filled with snow pretty much everywhere. The Rift was a pretty colorful region, imo. I greatly enjoyed the scenery in Skyrim; one of my favorite things about the game.

Jmanghan
There's only so much color you can put into a world filled with snow pretty much everywhere. The Rift was a pretty colorful region, imo. I greatly enjoyed the scenery in Skyrim; one of my favorite things about the game. I'm talking about the armor.

eThneoLgrRnae
I'm talking about the armor.

laughing out loud Ok.

cdtm
Ninja Gaiden Black or Ninja Gaiden Sigma? Which is better?

Black. Sigma cut out the cool blue trail effect when you do a flaying swallow, the balancing is different, and I think blood effects were cut out (Not sure about decapitations).

Surtur

This has been true for Oblivion and Morrowind as well(especially Morrowind).

I will say the first time I beat Skyrim it was on an xbox 360. This was out of necessity since when the game first came out I didn't have a PC powerful enough to run it. By no means did I find it an awful experience. However, I suspect that my impressions of the 360 version would be different if I had first played it on PC with mods and then later on tried it on the 360.

cdtm
Yeah, but then you're not getting the intended experience. The way I see if, if a game needs mods to be good, it was never a good game to begin with.

I personally have no problem with vanilla Skyrim's environments. May as well complain Zelda doesn't add enough color, it was going for a certain kind of look. If I want color, I could load up Enslaved, which has more color then that guy who did paintings on tv.

Jmanghan
I enjoy Skyrim fine as is.

eThneoLgrRnae
Me too. I don't use mods either because I can't since I play it on PS3.

cdtm
Me too. I don't use mods either because I can't since I play it on PS3.

They ever fix the lag issues?

Pretty sure the 360 had issues of its own, something about texture streaming in the downloadable version resulting in inferior looking textures. Haven't noticed this, and not sure I'd even know it if I saw it.

eThneoLgrRnae
They ever fix the lag issues?

It's probably been over six months at least since I finished my first playthru of Skyrim. If there were any lag issues it certainly wasn't bad enough to stop me from enjoying the game and I'd probably easily remember them as well if they were that severe. As it is, I'm not recalling any major issues with lag though.

Jmanghan
There were some lag issues in the original releases, but playing on Switch the game runs just fine for me.

cdtm
A more modern port of Skyrim that can not be officially or easily modded.

cdtm
You know, honestly, I don't hate Skyrim. But I also don't think it's great.

I mean, I enjoy Mass Effect or Witcher games a lot more. Or even some Assassins Creed games.

Skyrim is something I fire up if I don't feel like a challenge, am not sure what I'm in the mood for, but don't feel like watching a movie.

At heart, I'm all about high adrenalin combat and puzzling out how to handle tough encounters. The exploration bits of Shadow of Colossus bored Zelda bored me to tears, and served as padding between all the cool boss encounters. And that's all Skyrim really is... Go here, go there, get loot, craft that.

May as well put me in a pen and paper rpg, because I couldn't stand that either. I was the kid who'd rather play Rtype or Defender. Or Burgertime or Pac man.

Dark Souls or Darksiders gives some of that, at least. Even Diablo has more of what I like there.

Adam Grimes
Skyrim gave me aids the first time I played it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.