Doomsday vs.MCU Doctor Strange

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage
Endgame Strange

Who wins

Fight takes place in the Avengers HQ wreckage

KingD19
Strange has so many ways to take Doomsday down.

h1a8
Strange

riv6672
So Strange.

TheVaultDweller
Doomsday was very powerful, but also pretty much a savage beast. I could see Dr Strange tricking him into diving into a portal and BFRing himself or something along those lines.

Kinda bummed we didn't get this in Infinity War, because it would add another tool to the table for these threads. Same trick the Ancient One used on Strange in their first meeting.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/0-SBc3bJWV0/hqdefault.jpg

But I kinda get why it was scrapped after the initial concept art etc. was made. Even with the IG, Thanos would have been fooked. Because the IG doesn't mean shit if it's on a lifeless body while Thanos' mind goes tumbling through the multiverse. Can't have Strange solo'ing the Big Bad by tapping him in the forehead. But hopefully he does use it on someone in the future. Would be a nice callback.

In case of confusion, that's official concept art, not fan art:

https://www.cbr.com/avengers-infinity-war-concept-art-thanos-doctor-strange-battle/

But, as I already alluded to, not actually canon. At least not yet.

riv6672
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Doomsday was very powerful, but also pretty much a savage beast. I could see Dr Strange tricking him into diving into a portal and BFRing himself or something along those lines.

Kinda bummed we didn't get this in Infinity War, because it would add another tool to the table for these threads. Same trick the Ancient One used on Strange in their first meeting.

But I kinda get why it was scrapped after the initial concept art etc. was made. Even with the IG, Thanos would have been fooked. Because the IG doesn't mean shit if it's on a lifeless body while Thanos' mind goes tumbling through the multiverse. Can't have Strange solo'ing the Big Bad by tapping him in the forehead. But hopefully he does use it on someone in the future. Would be a nice callback.

https://www.cbr.com/avengers-infinity-war-concept-art-thanos-doctor-strange-battle/

Nice post, TheVaultDweller! thumb up

Psychotron

Wouldn't the mind and soul stones prevent that?

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Psychotron
Wouldn't the mind and soul stones prevent that?

Maybe in the comics, but I don't recall any onscreen feats to say the MCU versions would. The only time he uses the Soul Stone outside of a Snap is when using it in conjunction with the Power Stone to escape Dr Strange's clone trap. And he had to actively clench his fist and activate it, just like all the other times:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/73/74/31/737431f75dbb910ffd2d37a2535a9002.jpg

And he never had the Mind Stone for the Titan Infinity War battle. Besides, Vision had that thing stuck in his head for years and never did more than fire beams with it, so having it doesn't mean much unless you can also actively use it.

Darth Thor
So does this mean Strange could take a Thanos without the IG?

Although that would contradict both IW and Endgame I guess as it was only that one scenario where they could win.

TheVaultDweller
Well, as I said, they scrapped that for a reason, probably so that Strange couldn't essentially one-shot Thanos (I mean, it would be pretty embarrassing). But, based on his power set, he really should be able to BFR him to the Mirror Dimension or something at the very least, regardless. Hell, the Ancient One specifically mentions that as one of its uses when showing it to Strange for the first time. I mean how does he actually block this without an Infinity Stone?

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/42700000/Doctor-Strange-vs-Thanos-Avengers-Infinity-War-2018-doctor-strange-2016-42762887-268-135.gif

Thanos is an absolutely beast in his element (melee combat), but there are plenty of counters to him.

TheVaultDweller
I mean they basically had write Strange out of most of the Endgame battle by having him hold back the flood to keep him busy until the end. Then, again, it could be the case that the flood always happened so Strange never got an opportunity to fight Thanos in the Endgame battle in any time line. Or some other reason they can make up after the fact to excuse it lol.

Darth Thor
^ Yeah but with Infinity War they almost got the glove off if not for Starlord. But surely in millions of scenarios they could have actually got it off multiple times. And if Strange could defeat Thanos without the IG, then surely that must have happened in a fair few of those scenarios as well.

I get that theres massive PIS involved with Strange. But thats how theyve shown it. (Wont even get into how it would look with Strange beating Thanos after losing to Maw).

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Darth Thor
^ Yeah but with Infinity War they almost got the glove off if not for Starlord. But surely in millions of scenarios they could have actually got it off multiple times. And if Strange could defeat Thanos without the IG, then surely that must have happened in a fair few of those scenarios as well.

I get that theres massive PIS involved with Strange. But thats how theyve shown it. (Wont even get into how it would look with Strange beating Thanos after losing to Maw).

Well, then how does he stop from getting BFR'd, like in the gif I posted? They can make all the claims they want, but actual screen feats suggest Strange could take him.

Besides, it's pretty clear from some interviews that the Russos didn't think fans would nitpick some things, based on their lazy answers. Like after Endgame, someone asked them at one point why Strange also didn't cut Thanos' arm off with a portal, like Wong did with Cull. And they were basically like, well, he didn't know if it would work or how long it would take, and Thanos might have Snapped anyway before he could cut all the way through. Yeah, except he didn't have all the Stones to do a Snap on Titan, so that excuse doesn't actually hold up.

But this is something I have commented on more than once before. The Russos are really good at making an entertaining popcorn film, but they tend to butcher power level consistency in virtually every MCU movie they make going back to CA:CW. A character is only as competent or as powerful as the Russos need them to be to get from point A to point B in a scene.

John Murdoch
Maybe in the comics, but I don't recall any onscreen feats to say the MCU versions would. The only time he uses the Soul Stone outside of a Snap is when using it in conjunction with the Power Stone to escape Dr Strange's clone trap. And he had to actively clench his fist and activate it, just like all the other times:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/73/74/31/737431f75dbb910ffd2d37a2535a9002.jpg

And he never had the Mind Stone for the Titan Infinity War battle. Besides, Vision had that thing stuck in his head for years and never did more than fire beams with it, so having it doesn't mean much unless you can also actively use it.

Man, that sequence was tight. It's tough in a comic book movie these days to get the hairs on the back of my neck standing up, but holy crap that was amazing.

Anyways, Doomsday was one of if not the biggest, strongest, most invulnerable final bosses in a comic book movie or any movie for that matter. If he lays a hand on Stephen, Stephen is going down.

However, as everyone has said here, that's very unlikely. Doc has too many options for at the least immobilizing Doomsday or making him miss enough times until Strange can BFR him.

Strange takes the win.

John Murdoch
But this is something I have commented on more than once before. The Russos are really good at making an entertaining popcorn film, but they tend to butcher power level consistency in virtually every MCU movie they make going back to CA:CW. A character is only as competent or as powerful as the Russos need them to be to get from point A to point B in a scene.

Very much agreed, their two main weaknesses in directing MCU flicks have been
1. power level consistency
2. outside of Infinity War, rewatch-ability of their helmed films

I haven't seen Winter Soldier, CW, or Endgame since theaters, and although I watched CW and Endgame twice apiece at the cinema, the main attraction the second time was seeing the reactions of the people with me.

All that said, I'll give at least one good watch to their great rollercoaster ride comic book movies with plot holes any day of the week.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by John Murdoch
Very much agreed, their two main weaknesses in directing MCU flicks have been
1. power level consistency
2. outside of Infinity War, rewatch-ability of their helmed films

I haven't seen Winter Soldier, CW, or Endgame since theaters, and although I watched CW and Endgame twice apiece at the cinema, the main attraction the second time was seeing the reactions of the people with me.

All that said, I'll give at least one good watch to their great rollercoaster ride comic book movies with plot holes any day of the week.

Funnily enough, CA:TWS is probably still my favourite MCU film overall and one I can re-watch repeatedly lol. But I'm just a sucker for well done close quarters fight choreography and that film is on point in that regard. Also, beyond being a comic book film, it's a pretty great spy movie as well.

And related to my previous comments regarding the Mirror Dimension, it's not like it's hard for Strange either. Even as a noob sorcerer he could pull it off on the fly, like when he shunted the attack that was meant to destroy the one Sanctum there.

https://i.imgur.com/DUW6X6L.mp4

So, yeah, the only reason IMO that Strange can't beat IG-less Thanos is bad writing. Because all Strange has to do is the same as in that clip, use his cloak to fly like a 100 feet in the air and portal himself out, leaving Thanos there. Or in the case of this fight, Doomsday. Though with Doomsday he'd have to take care to avoid heat vision during flight. I mean that had actually been his plan with Kaecilius in that scene. Go to the Mirror Dimension, steal their slingrings and leave, trapping them there. Of course, Strange didn't take into account the fact that Kaecilius could bend the Mirror Dimension itself to his will and warp everything inside it.

BrolyBlack
Without BFR Doomsday beats him down

riv6672

playa1258
Either Strange wins via BFR or DD punches him to paste.

The end.

Eon Blue
Strange wins.

Kazenji
So very Strange.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Darth Thor

I actually had a thought. With a little prep, even Ant-Man should be able to take out Thanos. Just modify a shrink disc for a one-way subatomic trip and plop it on the back of his shiny purple head when he's distracted. Think about it, Micro-Thanos fighting Tardigrades for eternity. big grin

riv6672

TheVaultDweller
Yeah, that's what actually gave me the thought. And we know Scott needed someone to actively pull him out when he went in at the end of the 2nd Ant-Man movie, hence why he got trapped.

h1a8
Writers can't think of everything.

TheVaultDweller
Except they did. It's an actual plot line for Scott across Ant-Man and the Wasp and Endgame. Such a simple solution just doesn't make for a particularly interesting movie. Just like Dr Strange banishing Thanos' ass to the Mirror Dimension. Instead of 3 hours it'd be 3 minutes.

Or we could go with my personal headcanon that in all other timelines everything also gets ruined by Star-Lord somehow. big grin

Josh_Alexander
Strange ofcourse!

BruceSkywalker
i see h1 is using the writer's intent nonsense

Putinbot1
A character is only as competent or as powerful as the Russos need them to be to get from point A to point B in a scene. Which is probably the truest thing to comics in the MCU.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Putinbot1
Which is probably the truest thing to comics in the MCU.

One of the many reasons I shy away from actual comic book debates. It's like a nerd law of physics or something. For every character feat scan there is an equal but opposite character feat scan.

Impediment
Strange wins fantastically easily.

BruceSkywalker
Strange most likely stomps

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.