Geralt of Rivia (Netflix) vs Sunny (Into the Badlands)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheVaultDweller
No potions or Signs. Pure sword battle between two superhuman fighters.

- Geralt has his standard gear.
- Sunny is wearing his original regent uniform and wielding Silver Moon's sword.
- Fight takes place in a forest clearing.
- Opponents start 20 feet apart.

Thought this would be an interesting match, as their speed should be pretty similar (both can casually react to crossbow bolts) and they are both extremely skilled swordsmen. And both are quite a bit stronger than your normal adult male, to put it mildly.

carthage
Sunny stomps
The skill gap is hilariously vast

FrothByte
Hard fight to call to be honest. Into the Badlands has the added benefit of some wire-fu choreography, which enables them to leap higher than physically possible and kick opponents away with greater strength than humanly possible.

The Witcher has the advantage of more straight forward, brutal fight scenes which makes Geralt look more efficient.

Right now I'd back the Witcher in a pure sword fight, but that's really just because I much prefer his fighting style. I can't really make a good objective case on why he'd win other than "Because I like him more than Sunny."

TheVaultDweller
I actually prefer the Witcher choreography too, mostly for the same reason I still love the fight choreography in Daredevil. The little details they tend to put in (like Bullseye double ricocheting a bullet into a guy in cover's knee to set up a headshot). Like in the case of The Witcher, for example, Geralt's grip transitions as he goes along during the Blaviken fight, switching between his own primary weapon and the various things he grabs from his opponents to use during the fight, the reversals, hand swaps etc. You can tell they really put in the work to make it all look slick.

BruceSkywalker
hmmmm.. tough one.. sonny is hellla good as is geralt.. to be honest im having a tough time deciding

FrothByte
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
I actually prefer the Witcher choreography too, mostly for the same reason I still love the fight choreography in Daredevil. The little details they tend to put in (like Bullseye double ricocheting a bullet into a guy in cover's knee to set up a headshot). Like in the case of The Witcher, for example, Geralt's grip transitions as he goes along during the Blaviken fight, switching between his own primary weapon and the various things he grabs from his opponents to use during the fight, the reversals, hand swaps etc. You can tell they really put in the work to make it all look slick.

Yeah, the sword-work in Badlands tend to be a bit more generic. I mean, still awesome, just not quite as intricate and unique as those in the Witcher.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by FrothByte
Yeah, the sword-work in Badlands tend to be a bit more generic. I mean, still awesome, just not quite as intricate and unique as those in the Witcher.

They also sometimes let continuity errors creep into the Badlands fights, because they get too focused on the wire-fu aspect. Granted, it doesn't happen often. But when it does, it's usually pretty noticeable. For example, watch MK's hands here, from 0:23 to 0:27.

1fjklgWbT7Y

The cringiest example is probably the absolutely broken shoe continuity during this fight though. How this was actually kept in the episode is beyond me, because it is very noticeable.

0EA2nfrYGlw

And I get it's completely impractical to actually try to do that in spiked heels, but then don't have the actresses wear them otherwise and then still make a point to zoom in on them multiple times.

TheVaultDweller
I will say that Sunny has more feats against opponents of established skill (Quinn, the Widow, Pilgrim etc.), but many of the creatures Geralt fights can tear through groups of enemies via sheer stats. And he also did defeat Renfri despite clearly not wanting to fight or kill her, and also despite her being described as an extremely lethal, mutated killer.

Though, upon watching the Sunny vs Quinn fight, Quinn ultimately lost that fight as much as Sunny won it. Because he had more than one opportunity to land a killing blow but decided to take his time to engage in theatrics and such instead. For example, if he hadn't reversed his grips on his sais, then at 2:05... Or when he decided to just wander off and drag out taunting Vail after knocking Sunny out for like half a minute.

PPQTOrPKCxQ

Though I will also note that Quinn started the fight much fresher than Sunny did, who had already been through quite a bit of fighting by then.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.