Revisiting Man of Steel

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BrolyBlack

Eon Blue
It gave a false premise to the greatness of the DCEU in that nothing they created afterward would live up to it. It was a good film in and of itself. I really wish the execs chose to develop the sequels more organically rather than chase their own tail.

Robtard

BrolyBlack

BruceSkywalker
man of steel could've been the start of something good... i did like a few things about the film but hack snyder needs to stay away from comic book films because he knows no much about them.. the storyline although much better than routh supes need a bit more polishing.. kal's hero's journey started out okay but should've elevated the character way better then it did. pops kent died ignorantly and amy no talented adams who is one of the biggest whores in hollywood was the miscast of the century.. michael shannon was wasted and his villains journey was written badly. the cgi was okay but really shoulda been way better than it was

-Pr-
Back in the day, I thought it was a solid movie with some really good action scenes, even if at the same time it had some serious issues that would only get worse in BvS.

My mind hasn't changed.

SquallX

Insane Titan
I enjoyed MOS a lot. The fight between him and Zod imo was great way to show the real destruction that would be caused by to Super beings going at it.

Darth Thor

Inhuman
Not complete trash but not good either. Compared to other worst movies like BvS, Suicide Squad and Justice League, MOS is the better movie.
Anyhow how can a Superman movie be good if Superman himself is unlikeable in the movie. Wasn't really rooting for him to win by the end of the movie the way the character was developed.
But if you only care about the scenes of super powered muscular men punching each other and big explosions I guess it could be your cup of tea.

NemeBro
It's a piece of shit that only looks retroactively good compared to a lot of what came later.

Impediment
I like Man of Steel.

Not great, but not dog shit.

I enjoyed it for what it was and I was entertained by it.

Batman vs. Superman, however, was a fecal glazed abortion.

jaden_2.0
Initially it disappointed me. The 3rd trailer is one of the greatest trailers ever and I don't think it lived up to it. My appreciation for it has went up over the years though. It still has some iconic shots. Snyder has always had a knack for transferring memorable frames from comics and graphic novels into equally brilliant shots in his movies (the Spartan shield shell with Leonidas standing outside them for example) and he did that several times in MoS (supes coming through the door with the cape blowing in the wind)

But yeah, brilliant soundtrack although I could do without ever hearing those slow plinky piano notes ever again.

Surtur
I don't think it was trash, I enjoyed it but it wasn't the best super hero film ever made or close to that.

tkitna
I thought it was horrible. Its one of the worst big time comic movies ever made. Way to many issues to ignore.

playa1258
It's grown on me over the years and its a damn shame Cavill has not been allowed to develop more in the role.

John Murdoch

emporerpants
It isn't a bad movie, just not a great one. It gets unfarily critizied alot. If I see one more person whine about the devestation the city took when Supes was trying to stop Zod, who said he was going to kill every human on earth, I am going to scream. That was hysterical nonsense and the ones who were beating that horse were hypocritical to the max on it's application.

That said, I do wish they didn't have Supes kill Zod. I feel people would have harped on the desctruction a bit less they didn't have Supes outright kill someone.

I also agree with Jaden on the trailer 3. Trailer 3 promised a movie that we didn't get. The movie that trailer 3 promised looked like it was going to be the greatest superhero movie of all time. Whoever cut that trailer understands Supes better anyone who has worked on the Superman movies since. I believe that for many Superman fans, including myself, we felt disappointed in the final result because the trailer was superior to the movie in every way and understood what our favorite character was all about much more than the creators of the movie itself. The movie didn't live up to the hype the trailer created.

All that said, the movie is decent to good and clearly better than most of what came after it from DC.

dadudemon

Dr Will Hatch
Sorry, but this movie is awful, and the last seven years hasn't changed my mind. Zack Snyder is good in the right projects and is a talented filmmaker, but he does *not* understand Superman.

ShadowFyre
Hands down one of my favorite heroes movies period. Cavill ****ing nails a realistic Superman. Im sorry people die when buildings fall over. Shit happens. As a Marvel fan, I'm sorry but that ****ing Smallville fight absolutely shits on everybody else and I loved it. Not powerlevel wise, it just felt right and like.that is how a fight would look like. Thor vs. Malekith got the collateral damage and power levels and stuff right but the grittiness that DC used made it just amazing for me.

Besides that ummmmmmmm the tornado thing was beyond ****ing dumb

Everything else from DC besides WW, Aquaman and Shazam was ****ing garbage.

Surtur
Originally posted by ShadowFyre
Hands down one of my favorite heroes movies period. Cavill ****ing nails a realistic Superman. Im sorry people die when buildings fall over. Shit happens. As a Marvel fan, I'm sorry but that ****ing Smallville fight absolutely shits on everybody else and I loved it. Not powerlevel wise, it just felt right and like.that is how a fight would look like. Thor vs. Malekith got the collateral damage and power levels and stuff right but the grittiness that DC used made it just amazing for me.

Besides that ummmmmmmm the tornado thing was beyond ****ing dumb

Everything else from DC besides WW, Aquaman and Shazam was ****ing garbage.

I feel the same way. Not only was this a realistic depiction of what would happen when two super powered beings fight in a city, but Superman was a noob. He saved a few people during his life, but he wasn't an active superhero. And when he first starts out it's not a bank robbery or something he is stopping, but a dude who has powers and was bred to fight.

How much more destruction could Zod have caused if Superman stopped to go try to save people? And he had to kill Zod. There wasn't a prison on earth that could hold him. He didn't know about kryptonite either, and even if he did it's not like they had some sort of prison cell they could flood with just enough kryptonite radiation to weaken him on standby.

Superman shouldn't be perfect, this isn't a silver age comic book. There have been rumors Cavill will take up the role again, I hope he does.

Mindship
It is my favorite Superman movie, and in the top three of my favorite superhero movies, period. Given the subject matter, it was as realistically done as could be, especially his being considered a potential threat to national security. I loved what they did with his suit; the fight scenes; the music. Just superb in so many ways.

That movie almost, Almost made me change my Surfer signature. And it did inspire this amalgam I call Synergy, (which was my avatar while the movie was current):

eThneoLgrRnae
I loved Man of Steel. But then, I used to be obsessed with everything Superman-related. Also enjoyed Superman Returns a great deal despite all of the hate it gets from most people.

No Superman actor will ever fill the shoes of the great Christopher Reeve though. The first two Reeve films are the greatest Superman films of all-time, imo. Actually, imo, they are the greatest comic book films of all-time.

NemeBro
Well, looking back on it, I'd say it still blew giraffe cock. mmm

Surtur
My problem with Reeves is I find his version of Superman corny.

roughrider
Originally posted by Insane Titan
I enjoyed MOS a lot. The fight between him and Zod imo was great way to show the real destruction that would be caused by to Super beings going at it.

That fight and Superman's earlier confrontations with Zod were part of the reason I took a while to warm to this film, because Superman was being needlessly destructive and not caring about the safety of civilians. I eventually rationalized it as him still learning to control his whole power range (plus his temper) and he did learn to put the safety of bystanders first.

eThneoLgrRnae
Originally posted by Surtur
My problem with Reeves is I find his version of Superman corny.

Not me. His version of Clark is but I like it like that. Clark pretending to be a bumbling, stumbling idiot as part of his disguise also makes me laugh.

John Murdoch
It's between Shazam! and Man of Steel for my favorite DCEU movie, which is funny because you have on one hand the classic DC kid ultimate light-hearted action-fantasy with some comedy and family drama in Shazam! contrasted with the serious and grim sci-fi treatment of Superman in Man of Steel.

It's action scenes are still possibly second to none within the comic book movie realm and possibly cinema in general. Only The Matrix Revolutions' Neodammerung fight being equal in terms of an over-the-top final flight clash, and X-Men's Quicksilver sequences and Iron Man/Dr. Strange vs Thanos being possibly as good or better comic book action/fight scenes.

It's score, yes Broly, is fantastic. The nostalgist in me will always have a spot for John Williams' Superman: The Movie score, and Danny Elfman's Batman '89 score is still number one superhero movie score period, but Zimmer had lightning hit twice with Nolan Batman trilogy (especially The Dark Knight) work and then Man of Steel. Ludwig Goransson's Black Panther score and Michael Kamen's work on the X-Men films are up there too, along with Elfman again on the Raimi Spider-Man flicks.

The visuals, cinematography, and sound mixing and editing are top-notch, second to none. Nothing to say but great things on that front.

The main two issues I have are similar to every posters' here: whether the film was good, bad, or ugly to you, the plot and editing left some things to be desired. It was jarring at the midnight showing I went to opening day.

You go from Kal learning his powers right to Jon Kent dying via twister when his adopted son is Superman?! Reeves Superman turned a tornado upside down, and this Superman goes into exile angst mode because he dad tells him to talk to the hand and makes a completely unnecessary sacrifice. Why not have Supes leave home to start his hero's journey, and Jon dies because Kal is off saving other people half the world away? Makes far more sense than a kamikaze tornado.

Mike Shannon's Zod wants to terraform Earth into Krypton instead of living with superpowers and taking over the world ala Terence Stamp and crew from Superman II, and the script gave Shannon little to do besides yell and get beat down. Wasted casting there.

Also, the reaction to the destruction and Zod neck-snapping (one of the greatest moments in comic book film IMO) was waaaaaaaay overboard. The DCEU should've seen through a MoS 2, a solo Batman movie, Wonder Woman, etc. well prior to any type of BvS or Justice League. Instead they played catchup one movie in to the MCU. Dumb.

Surtur
I read that they did toy with ending the movie with Superman putting Zod into one of those pods from the ship and tossing it into space, but only a pussy would do that.

Surtur
Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
Not me. His version of Clark is but I like it like that. Clark pretending to be a bumbling, stumbling idiot as part of his disguise also makes me laugh.

Yeah the funny thing is technically Reeves Superman is also Routh Superman from Superman Returns and so...yeah, his Lois and Jimmy both end up getting murdered by the Joker(as does everyone else at the daily planet)

Ha fun times!

John Murdoch
Originally posted by Surtur
I read that they did toy with ending the movie with Superman putting Zod into one of those pods from the ship and tossing it into space, but only a pussy would do that.

lol Cavillman has no time for such things.

Lestov16
I've always believed that while Man Of Steel most certainly faltered in fully honoring the legacy of Superman, Cavil was still an awe-inspiring hero, and MOS still remains the all-time best alien invasion movie ever made IMO.

Arachnid1
I loved it despite its problems. Cavill is a great casting as Supes (though they should have given him more to work with as Clark), and Zod was a FANTASTIC villain. Other than them, the rest of the cast was meh. Still, it's the best of the DCEU movies to this day. Kind of disappointing knowing it'll all be eventually rebooted and they'll have to recast Supes.

EDIT: Also, I'm one of those simpletons who was blown away by the DBZ fight at the end regardless of the implications lmao. I'd still love the movie for that fight alone if not for Zod being great. Also, the intro with Krypton was really good. I wish that was its own movie.

YousufKhan1212
I found it to be pretty mediocre, it had a lot of cool moments, but it was also too depressing and boring at the same time.

HulkIsHulk
Its just okay. Like Shazam. As someone said, compared to the trash that is BVS and JL, it looks good. And I liked Suicide Squad.
Unfortunately they don't compare to the awesome WW and AM.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.