Grand Moff Tarkin vs. Mas Amedda

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Eli Vanto
Both seemed like Palpatine's right hand men.

Who had more power within the Empire? Who ranked higher?

Total Warrior
I think Tarkin held more power tbh. He answered only to the Emperor, was responsible of the Death Star after taking over Krennic, had some kind of authority even in vader

Galan007
Tarkin.

As has been stated time and time again across numerous different sources, the *only* being in the Empire who outranked Tarkin at the time of ANH, was Palpatine himself.

Eli Vanto
Fair enough.

But I thought Mas was basically Palpatines voice. Like he spoke directly for the Emperor??

Darth Thor
^ Being the Emperors voice is basically just repeating the what the Emperor says though.

In terms of independent rank however Tarkin was no.2.

Galan007
Mas Amedda is like a royal secretary. If Palpatine wants to speak with someone, for example, he might have Amedda arrange the meeting for him... But he had no control over Tarkin whatsoever.

As mentioned, Palpatine himself was the ONLY person in the Empire with more authority than Tarkin... If Amedda tried to give him an order of his own, Tarkin would probably laugh in his face before having him executed.

Eli Vanto
Even if that order came from the Emperor? mmm

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Eli Vanto
Even if that order came from the Emperor? mmm

But thats the Emperors orders not his own.

Galan007
Exactly.

A damn Stormtrooper could relay a message/order from Palpatine, and Tarkin would oblige.

But I thought we were talking about the personal level of authority/power each of them held within the Empire..?

Eli Vanto

Galan007
You left out a few key bits of context, lol.

a.) In the dialogue immediately following the excerpt you posted, Tarkin flat-out ignored Amedda's "order":

It wasn't until Amedda told Tarkin that the order came from Palpatine himself that he finally obliged:

b.) That scene took place before Tarkin had been promoted to Grand Moff(he was still just a standard Moff/Governor there)... Yet he still didn't give a shit what Amedda had to say. Quite telling, imo...

Eli Vanto
Alright alright fair enough.

I just figured Amedda's role as Vizier would give him some level of authority over Tarkin. srug

Galan007
It doesn't.

As mentioned, Tarkin didn't give a single f*ck what Amedda had to say back when he was just a Moff... Amedda's word would have meant less than nothing to him as a Grand Moff.

I've posted this stuff before, but...

https://i.imgur.com/4me634j.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QJINpd1m.jpg

At the time of ANH, Tarkin was the undisputed #2 in the Empire -- even Vader was his subordinate.

Lord Stark
On Coruscant probably Mas Amedda, but throughout the entirety of the galaxy, especially in the rim, Tarkin was supreme.

Eli Vanto
That's what I was thinking. thumb up

At least on Coruscant everything seemed to go through Amedda. He was the intermediary between the Emperor and the galaxy. He was basically the Emperor's voice.

Total Warrior
Now that we have proven that Tarkin>Ameda, it would be cool to see who was the Empire No.3 between Vader and him

Galan007
Originally posted by Eli Vanto
That's what I was thinking. thumb up

At least on Coruscant everything seemed to go through Amedda. He was the intermediary between the Emperor and the galaxy. He was basically the Emperor's voice. That's not true at all. Tarkin didn't have to use an intermediary when he wanted to talk to Palpatine... He had that number on speed dial, and had one-on-one conversations with Sheev quite frequently.

Again, Amedda was beneath Tarkin's notice.

Galan007
Originally posted by Total Warrior
Now that we have proven that Tarkin>Ameda, it would be cool to see who was the Empire No.3 between Vader and him Goes back to this:
https://i.imgur.com/4me634j.jpg
"Except for Tarkin, Vader commands ALL of the Emperor's servants."

So where the Imperial hierarchy is concerned, Palpatine > Tarkin > Vader > ALL.

Darth Thor
Thats good because its consistent with ANH where Tarkin was clearly the one in charge, not Vader.

Galan007
thumb up

And there is substantially more evidence stating that Tarkin outranked Vader -- I posted it all in one of the other Tarkin threads some time ago. It is an irrefutable fact at this point.

Granted, there seemed to be a mutual respect between the two, but when it came down to it, Tarkin was definitely in command.

The_Tempest

Galan007
thumb up

Tarkin was always an exception to the 'norm'.

Even during TCW, when Tarkin was in command of the prison that was holding Ahsoka before her trial, not even Anakin could override his standing orders, despite holding the higher rank(Generals outranked Admirals.)

And like I said earlier: even when Tarkin was still just a standard Moff/Governor, he didn't give a single flying f*ck what "Vizier" Amedda had to say, and routinely told him to f*ck off... Unless Amedda was delivering a message directly from Palpatine himself, obviously.

Moreover, in the early days of the Empire(again when Tarkin was just a standard Moff/Governor), Palpatine made it clear that Vader had control over everyone in the Empire, and could 'discipline' them however he saw fit... Everyone except Tarkin, that is.

No other Governor/Moff/Grand Moff in the Empire's history ever held the level of authority that Tarkin did.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.