Useless Characters In Films

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SquallX

StiltmanFTW
War Machine always plays that part.

You can't expect Rhodes to steal spotlight from Tony. It just doesn't work. At his best, he can replace Tony for some time.

Same with Wolverine and X-23, Steve and Bucky, Hulk and Cho, The Thing and She-Thing or Miss Thing, Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson, Dr. Strange and Dr. Voodoo and so on.

So I don't understand your complaint.

SquallX

StiltmanFTW
He plays a part alright - he's Tony's best friend, his moral compass at times.

Both Terrence Howard and Don Cheadle did poorly, imo... and the character wasn't given enough time to shine, we can agree on that... but he was never meant to be "one of the greats".

Perhaps there was a way to utilize the character better, but it was never one of MCU's priorities. Tony was - and we should be glad RDJ delivered, even though IM 2 and IM 3 were huge disappointments.

riv6672
Indiana Jones in RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK.

hMVd6DaEtUM

StiltmanFTW
Rose in TRoS.

Though that was a good thing, loved her uselessness. Better than wasting our time with a pointless arc back in TLJ.

Josh_Alexander
Name a character more useless than this! hahaha

https://media.giphy.com/media/BpCYzidFkPgUzFV9cA/giphy.gif

BrolyBlack

Josh_Alexander

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Rose in TRoS.

Though that was a good thing, loved her uselessness. Better than wasting our time with a pointless arc back in TLJ.

I was glad rose didn't have much to do in TROS...

Originally posted by Josh_Alexander
Name a character more useless than this! hahaha

https://media.giphy.com/media/BpCYzidFkPgUzFV9cA/giphy.gif

the porgs won't hurt you lol

BrolyBlack

Silent Master
Snoke

dynamix
the dude from hunger game. j law love interest

SquallX

Kazenji
Willie Scott from Temple of Doom.

SquallX
Originally posted by Kazenji
Willie Scott from Temple of Doom.

I completely forgot about her.

Elsa was the shit though.

Galan007
Every character in the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy.

Every. Single. One of them.

steverules_2
Originally posted by SquallX
I completely forgot about her.

Elsa was the shit though.

She was very bangable

Josh_Alexander

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by Silent Master
Snoke

Lmao!! I can't argue my character over Snoke! At least porgs served as food laughing

SquallX

dynamix

ShadowFyre
Every one not named Godzilla,Ghidorah,Rodan,Mothra in Godzilla:KOTM

StiltmanFTW

BruceSkywalker
superman, batman, aquaman, cyborg in justice league

jesse eisenberg in batman v superman

SquallX

Eon Blue
Lol, Josh will always be more useless than that creature.

To be fair, Snoke was pretty damn useless, even though he played his pet as a decoy. I felt much of the support cast for the new SW trilogy was also useless.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by Eon Blue
Lol, Josh will always be more useless than that creature.

To be fair, Snoke was pretty damn useless, even though he played his pet as a decoy. I felt much of the support cast for the new SW trilogy was also useless.

What part about use the Off-Topic Circle Jerk to trash talk didn't you understand from Impediment? He literaly made a post about it just today in said thread.

Reported.

BruceSkywalker

SquallX
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
the only troll here is you , you damn scumbag *****..

What crawled up your ass?

riv6672
WAR OF THE WORLDS would end the same way with or without Tom Cruise.

Though really, that incredibly annoying eternally crying kid of his should really have been smushed first.

SquallX
Originally posted by riv6672
WAR OF THE WORLDS would end the same way with or without Tom Cruise.

Though really, that incredibly annoying eternally crying kid of his should really have been smushed first.

Where they part of the book? Or where they just put in just to be a focal point?

Impediment
Everyone shut the f*ck up and return to topic.

riv6672

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
superman, batman, aquaman, cyborg in justice league

jesse eisenberg in batman v superman

this is so true , shame the wb/dc corporate slaves can't see it...

anyways the whole harley quin film is filed with useless characters

StiltmanFTW
Whole DC is, lol.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Whole DC is, lol.

yea, but don't tell that to the corporate slave wb/dc shills

John Murdoch
Even though he was one of my favorite Burton-Schumaker Batman series characters, Alexander Knox portrayed by Robert Wuhl in Batman 1989 was around to let the audience in on expository details or other characters' development. He did have a role in saving Vicky Vale (who got kidnapped by the Joker to go into the bell tower anyways) but he was, in essence, just there to be the viewer's everyman.

TheVaultDweller
The Summers brothers in the Fox X-Men movies were both arguably even less than useless. Scott's most notable feat is busting the dam in X2, nearly killing his allies. Alex's most notable feat is busting the X-Mansion in Apocalypse, nearly killing his allies.

riv6672

Surtur
Rose Tico

John Murdoch

-Pr-
And yet in Dark Phoenix, Scott actually IS useful. A bit late, but still.

SquallX
Originally posted by -Pr-

Was he though?

wink

BruceSkywalker
Finn from sequel trilogy...

horribly written.. boyega really phoned it all in for the trilogy.. he acted like a stalker.. he was just there to scream "REYYYYYYY"... "REYYYYYYYY..."

riv6672

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by John Murdoch
For Alex: and killing himself in the process. I really don't know what got into Singer, Kinsberg, etc. with the Summers brothers, they could've been great characters, but they took a dump on them every. single. movie. Except maybe First Class.

Even in First Class, Alex was portrayed as kind of an a-hole who could barely control his powers (yet proceeded to still make fun of others). The only decent portrayal he had was in DoFP, because he was only in it for 5 minutes. And then they kind of still ruin it to a degree by changing his powers from heat effect to force effect.

Not all that much IMO. Beyond fulfilling a combat role relatively competently for a change (but you could have stuck any decently powerful generic mutant in there to do similar for the action scenes, tbh), when he tried to actually stop Jean from heading off, she just casually put him to sleep. And in terms of the emotional aspect, Mystique's death and how everyone reacts to it plays a much bigger role in the narrative than Scott does. Unless I am forgetting something specific he did in that regard. Admittedly, I found that movie boring as shit, so have forgotten a lot of it.

-Pr-
Originally posted by SquallX
Was he though?

wink

He got a fairly decent body count on the train. That's about it, but still.

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Even in First Class, Alex was portrayed as kind of an a-hole who could barely control his powers (yet proceeded to still make fun of others). The only decent portrayal he had was in DoFP, because he was only in it for 5 minutes. And then they kind of still ruin it to a degree by changing his powers from heat effect to force effect.

Not all that much IMO. Beyond fulfilling a combat role relatively competently for a change (but you could have stuck any decently powerful generic mutant in there to do similar for the action scenes, tbh), when he tried to actually stop Jean from heading off, she just casually put him to sleep. And in terms of the emotional aspect, Mystique's death and how everyone reacts to it plays a much bigger role in the narrative than Scott does. Unless I am forgetting something specific he did in that regard. Admittedly, I found that movie boring as shit, so have forgotten a lot of it.

Yeah, but they didn't put any other mutant in there. They put him. So it counts, as crappy as the FX looked. stick out tongue

John Murdoch

TheVaultDweller
Yeah, but they didn't put any other mutant in there. They put him. So it counts, as crappy as the FX looked. stick out tongue

It shows you how badly Singer (and co.) treated the brothers though. That one of them being portrayed reasonably competently at using their powers is pretty much the best that we got.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.