Despero Vs Apocalypse

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Senor Cage
Who wins?

StiltmanFTW
Nur eats him.

Eon Blue
Apoc

DarkSaint85
Despero TPs him.

StiltmanFTW
Does he now? Apoc's pretty resistant.

Controlling Arthur the Halibut King and Manjobber is almost as impressive as the Jedi Mind Trick working on a stormtrooper stick out tongue

Glorificus
Has Apocalypse ever been defeated by telepathy before?

The only one I can think of who has was Ultimate Apocalypse (who was basically a crazy possessed Sinister), and even that took a fully Phoenix'd Jean Grey going all out, since Xavier's attacks completely failed.

DarkSaint85
Does Apoc have any TP feats? I mean I know he's meant to have TP, but I haven't really seen it tbf....

StiltmanFTW
He punked Xavier, but that was during the Twelve Arc, when he was amped, if memory serves. So not usable.

--
He's knowledgeable about the astral plane, he's read Ozymandias' mind... but nobody's gonna argue that he can control/beat Despero with TP --- unless he redirects Despero's own psionic energy back at him, which is something he was shown to do.

DarkSaint85
Yah....I mean, he has some decent resistance feats, but then so would Hal, Bruce, Jonn, Arthur etc....and he mind controlled all of them simultaneously, whilst having a punch up with Supes.

Assuming its pre52 Despero, obv. I'm not familiar with how the forum is treating the various timelines after Doomsday's Cock.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
I'm not familiar with how the forum is treating the various timelines after Doomsday's Cock.

Probably same as usual... the most biased way possible... which is using the composite version including feats from anything that happened Post-Crisis to current stick out tongue

Sinister has some potent TP --- and he had no doubt he would still be destroyed even by weakened Apocalypse.

Philosophía
Assuming post-Crisis Despero, he wins.

Apocalypse hasn't really been tested by this level of TP.

MrMind
Despero wtf pwns

Stoic

DarkSaint85
Ok, based on what do you say Apoc can fend off a TP attack? I DID ask for feats, and Stilt was the only one who answered. The only feat of note is redirecting Jean's psychic attack.

carver9
Originally posted by Eon Blue
Apoc

AlbertoJohnAvil
Originally posted by carver9

StiltmanFTW
Ok, based on what do you say Apoc can fend off a TP attack? I DID ask for feats, and Stilt was the only one who answered. The only feat of note is redirecting Jean's psychic attack.

Well, there's also the fact that Sinister didn't even bother trying to psionically assault him in his weakened state --- and ran for his life instead.

Stoic

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Well, there's also the fact that Sinister didn't even bother trying to psionically assault him in his weakened state --- and ran for his life instead.

@DS. There's no evidence to prove that Despero would have TP power over Apoc. We should therefore stick to what we know. That's what I'm saying.

Senor Cage
If Apoc takes it to a physical fight, he'd be hard pressed to beat him.

LordofBrooklyn
NO ONE BEATS DESPERO!!!

StiltmanFTW
Apoc restrained the Hulk with a single coil/arm... and hits with enough force to sever young Thor's skull from his spine, according to the impartial narrator.

LordofBrooklyn
Despero singelhandedly took on JLA lineups that would annihilate Apocalypse!

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by Stoic
@DS. There's no evidence to prove that Despero would have TP power over Apoc. We should therefore stick to what we know. That's what I'm saying.

Well we can compare their foes - and I am willing to bet Martian Manhunter has better TP feats than Apoc.

Stoic
Well we can compare their foes - and I am willing to bet Martian Manhunter has better TP feats than Apoc.

It has less to do with TP feats and more to do with TP resistance feats, and the tech backing to accomplish said feats. J'onn has better TP manipulation feats than Lobo as well, but he'd never be able to give Lobo the mind whammy.

At this point we should just stick with what we know is all I'm getting at. Apoc on the other has devices that would scramble Despero's nervous system like what he initially rigged up for the Hulk, prior to making him War. Apoc has never been a physical pushover as far as I know either.

Originally posted by LordofBrooklyn
Despero singelhandedly took on JLA lineups that would annihilate Apocalypse!

Despero was also hurt by Aquaman, so we know that Apocalypse should be able to hurt him as well. Say what you want, but Virtue and Vice left a bad taste in my mouth with all of the flip flopping. The heroes literally ran face first into his fist. None of them fought to the best of their ability. Then we have the shit-ton of Despero versions, and their variable power levels. Apoc would easily be able to slap tech on Despero and give him a number imo.

DarkSaint85
Martian Manhunter ALSO has TP resistance feats. Spectre tried to get in - no bueno.

Not to mention Hal Jordan, Batman et Al - all of whom have impressive TP resistance, all of whom were SIMULTANEOUSLY controlled by Despero.

Stoic
Martian Manhunter ALSO has TP resistance feats. Spectre tried to get in - no bueno.

Not to mention Hal Jordan, Batman et Al - all of whom have impressive TP resistance, all of whom were SIMULTANEOUSLY controlled by Despero.

Despero couldn't control Lobo though, and he's well below a couple that you mentioned. A nice resume doesn't give Despero a free pass to control a creature that has yet to be controled. The only time that I recall Apoc being manipulated was by Nate Grey's quasi reality warping TP. Not selling Despero short, but I never got the impression that he was on Nate Grey's highest levels? Despero like Lobo has tech to stunt the effects of mind domination. That tech on the other hand has been used to enthral many other characters.

Can you say without a doubt that Despero would be able to mind rape Apoc? If not, well it's like I said earlier.

Stoic
I bet Mr Pickles would beat the both of them.

Senor Cage
I dont think you should be using the despero/lobo fight. IIRC, that was a watered down Despero, who switched minds with L-Ron.

Typically, despero's TP is powerful enough to own MM telepathically.

MrMind
I failed to see how this fight is close when you consider their average showings are on completely different tiers. Despero is a team buster that's capable of taking down elite teams like JLA. apocalypse fuk with X Men. I'm not brushed up on x men at all but from what I've seen apoc is not much above other villains like magneto if at all. And someone like magneto would be not be the top tier of teams like JLA or JSA

DarkSaint85
Despero couldn't control Lobo though, and he's well below a couple that you mentioned. A nice resume doesn't give Despero a free pass to control a creature that has yet to be controled. The only time that I recall Apoc being manipulated was by Nate Grey's quasi reality warping TP. Not selling Despero short, but I never got the impression that he was on Nate Grey's highest levels? Despero like Lobo has tech to stunt the effects of mind domination. That tech on the other hand has been used to enthral many other characters.

Can you say without a doubt that Despero would be able to mind rape Apoc? If not, well it's like I said earlier.

Lobo's defence is above anyone here though, so I wouldn't use that like some kind of low showing. He literally doesn't do logic.

Senor Cage
I dont think despero even used TP on lobo, if its the encounter I'm thinking.

Stoic
Lobo's defence is above anyone here though, so I wouldn't use that like some kind of low showing. He literally doesn't do logic.

If not for the Celestial technology there'd be no reason to disagree. However, it is known that he possesses it, and as such I don't think that we'd come to a true conclusion if we simply ignored it. TP doesn't work on Lobo because he too has tech that denies mind domination.

So where do we go from there? Do we venture to other possibilities, or outcomes? In other words, when does this become a physical confrontation, and what happens when we consider Apoc's ability to physically enthrall opponent's vs Despero's brawler type of fighting. Was it PIS when Aquaman hurt Despero?

DarkSaint85
Well considering in the very same issue Despero was surviving reentry whilst fighting MMH....you tell me. Personally, yes, I consider it PIS. But there you go.

TP doesn't work on Lobo....BUT we know that TP DOES work on Apoc. So it's really not the right analogy.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by MrMind
I failed to see how this fight is close when you consider their average showings are on completely different tiers. Despero is a team buster that's capable of taking down elite teams like JLA. apocalypse fuk with X Men. I'm not brushed up on x men at all but from what I've seen apoc is not much above other villains like magneto if at all. And someone like magneto would be not be the top tier of teams like JLA or JSA

Nur stalemated HE who stalemated Galactus for a while, who had to resort to BFR cool

Senor Cage
Does HE have telepathy?

StiltmanFTW
Yes, among many other powers.

Stoic
Well considering in the very same issue Despero was surviving reentry whilst fighting MMH....you tell me. Personally, yes, I consider it PIS. But there you go.

TP doesn't work on Lobo....BUT we know that TP DOES work on Apoc. So it's really not the right analogy.

What instance are you referring to concerning Apoc being affected by TP?

Senor Cage
Has Despero ever been bested in TP?

DarkSaint85

With Jean Grey.

Although, he couldn't access the astral plane himself, and needed Cable to help him as he didn't have the power to do so.

StiltmanFTW
With Jean Grey.

He also mentioned how he would prepare for such an assault in the future wink

Although, he couldn't access the astral plane himself, and needed Cable to help him as he didn't have the power to do so.

True.

At the same time, Cable thought it'd be wise to psionically "hide" Invisible Woman from Nur, iirc.

Apocalypse is one of those weird characters, whose powers haven't been well defined. Resistance to psionics is something that seems to be a standard part of his powerset, though.

616, TAS, other realities, too.

Problem with Desp is that he seems to be able to penetrate most defenses, right?

DarkSaint85
Yeah I mean, we could spam Batman's high end psi resistance feats Hal's, Aquaman, J'onn etc....and he took them all over and was controlling them simultaneously.

And yes, Cable hid Susan from Apocalypse. As a kid he was also able to block Apocalypse.

Lobo? He's meant to have the rock station playing 24/7, which is what gives him immunity. Hence what I mean by apples and oranges.

Senor Cage
Despero can penetrate most defenses because of his third eye. The stronger the will, the easier it is to break down their will, iirc.

Senor Cage
I'd say Post Crisis Despero's telepathic feats are better than Pre.

- absorbing psychic energy to power his own.
- feeding off emotions.
- creating life like illusions to fool the entire Justice league.
- mind controlling people across the universe.
- mind controlling Cyborg while on Rann.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/despero/4005-9548/forums/post-flashpoint-despero-respect-thread-1858248/

Stoic
Yeah I mean, we could spam Batman's high end psi resistance feats Hal's, Aquaman, J'onn etc....and he took them all over and was controlling them simultaneously.

And yes, Cable hid Susan from Apocalypse. As a kid he was also able to block Apocalypse.

Lobo? He's meant to have the rock station playing 24/7, which is what gives him immunity. Hence what I mean by apples and oranges.

True, but tech to prevent mind domination is still tech to prevent mind domination. Doesn't really much matter what it's called. This still becomes a subject that no one knows for certain. H2H seems to be the next logical step.

Senor Cage
Who has Apoc prevented from getting into his head?

StiltmanFTW
Jean Grey.

Then you have Sinister and Cable not even bothering to assault him telepathically... Essex fleeing from his master, Cable going hand-to-hand with him and using his psimitar.

SquallX

StiltmanFTW
I've never seen Despero's penis on panel.

Barron-Ghidorah

DarkSaint85
True, but tech to prevent mind domination is still tech to prevent mind domination. Doesn't really much matter what it's called. This still becomes a subject that no one knows for certain. H2H seems to be the next logical step.

But Apoc doesn't have this. He's been affected by TP (see my reply to you on the previous page).

Stoic
With Jean Grey.

Explain the Jean Grey encounter to me please.

Sin I AM
When Apoc fought Jean wasn't she without the PF?

DarkSaint85
Explain the Jean Grey encounter to me please.

Here's the scan:

http://i.imgur.com/r7c6pi4.png

Here is a separate incident, where Apocalypse doesn't have the power to get onto the astral plane without Cable's help:

http://i.imgur.com/ORvzAcu.jpg

Before people lose the point I am trying to make, the point is that Apocalypse can be affected by TP.

Stoic
Do you have any recollection of Apoc being mind raped? That scan doesn't seem to be enough evidence. Apoc isn't actively resisting.

DarkSaint85
Do you have any recollection of Apoc being mind raped? That scan doesn't seem to be enough evidence. Apoc isn't actively resisting.

Hey now. You're moving the goal posts:

I was saying that Apoc has been affected by TP. Because your original post was:

If not for the Celestial technology there'd be no reason to disagree. However, it is known that he possesses it, and as such I don't think that we'd come to a true conclusion if we simply ignored it. TP doesn't work on Lobo because he too has tech that denies mind domination.

So..my point is that Apoc HAS been affected by psi attacks, doesn't have the power to access the astral plane, and this is all despite his Celestial tech.

Stoic
Hey now. You're moving the goal posts:

I was saying that Apoc has been affected by TP. Because your original post was:

So..my point is that Apoc HAS been affected by psi attacks, doesn't have the power to access the astral plane, and this is all despite his Celestial tech.

Sorry I was rushed earlier. I only had time to glance at the 1st scan. The art is so bad that I barely made out that mess being Apoc in pain. You're absolutely correct. Despero should absolutely be able to peel his head open like a soft melon. Unless he's able to bounce it back like he did in that scan.

StiltmanFTW
To be fair, that was Apoc from the past --- from the Victorian era of UK, to be precise.

If a psionic attack had been a viable option, then he wouldn't have trashed people like Exodus.

Philosophía
His TP defense is certainly implied to be high , but it depends how far we're willing to go with it without actual, direct feats.

I mean, we can give Prime crazy TP defenses, considering who he faced, too

DarkSaint85
To be fair, that was Apoc from the past --- from the Victorian era of UK, to be precise.

If a psionic attack had been a viable option, then he wouldn't have trashed people like Exodus.

Yeah fine, we can have IMPLIED feats if we want. But that's a slippery slope, as Phildo points out.

Explicitly not having the power to access the Astral Plane is more telling, I feel. Especially since both my scans are actually from Apocs respect thread.

StiltmanFTW
You should beg Phil for forgiveness and commit seppuku, as you used the awful one from reddit.

Emma couldn't even handle a mere horseman, btw.

DarkSaint85
Meh it's horsemen, not the actual real deal.

StiltmanFTW
Exactly.

That's why telepaths don't even bother with that strategy against Apoc himself cool

Adam Grimes
Despero would just pick up the Smurf, crush him into a nice round shape and play soccer with him.

DarkSaint85
Exactly.

That's why telepaths don't even bother with that strategy against Apoc himself cool

Lol. Whilst Apoc has to rely on second hand feats and scaling, Despero goes ahead and steamrolls characters who have double or even triple the feats Apoc has.

StiltmanFTW
Manjobber and Aquaman have anti-feats, mostly stick out tongue

-Pr-
Manjobber and Aquaman have anti-feats, mostly stick out tongue

Don't ****ing push me.

AlbertoJohnAvil
Nur reversed a whole pyschic attack from Jean before

https://i.postimg.cc/K1FYXrbS/5013691-reverses-jean-greys-telepathic-attack.png

DarkSaint85
Never seen that, who is in that scan?

AlbertoJohnAvil

Jean and Apocalypse

-Pr-

laughing out loud

StiltmanFTW
DC retconned Arthur's tp to be just another fancy sea power --- I hope you're digging that, Pr wink

-Pr-
DC retconned Arthur's tp to be just another fancy sea power --- I hope you're digging that, Pr wink

Again? Or are you talking about N52, which has since been retconned?

StiltmanFTW
Nah, it was during Rebirth, Drowned Earth.

Life Force magic shenanigans.

Sin I AM

Rrally when? I keep up with that comic and i haven't seen anything loke that

StiltmanFTW
Nah, it was during Rebirth, Drowned Earth.

Life Force magic shenanigans.

https://i.ibb.co/7C18N8b/aquamansucks1.png

big grin

-Pr-
https://i.ibb.co/7C18N8b/aquamansucks1.png

big grin

Oh, that? I guess you could look at it that way. It's not like DC hasn't been pushing him more and more magic stuff for a while now.

StiltmanFTW
Hear the ocean, Pr.

https://tinyurl.com/ubwodgg

-Pr-
Hear the ocean, Pr.

https://tinyurl.com/ubwodgg

lol.

It is sad though, how far Abnett has fallen since he and Lanning stopped working together.

Stoic
Lol. Whilst Apoc has to rely on second hand feats and scaling, Despero goes ahead and steamrolls characters who have double or even triple the feats Apoc has.

See this is what I mean. There is still the possibility that he might resist long enough to go into offense. I agree with your stance, but it still isn't 100% guaranteed that things would play out that way. This might actually turn into a huge upset.

IMO, if Despero is able to win the mind domination battle, he wins big. But if he doesn't... We'd need to consider that Apoc has his own methods of winning by enthrallment, and his reach advantage is considerable. I do agree with your stance but I just can't agree that your conclusion is the only relevant conclusion.

Philosophía
Exactly.

That's why telepaths don't even bother with that strategy against Apoc himself cool It's funny how sometimes, Apoc's underlings/horsemen/henchmen have feats that would make even him proud . Until we saw him against Thor, we'd have thought that type of performance would be above him

I should probably update the respect thread with Harbinger's showings...

MrMind

Philosophía
Magneto.

StiltmanFTW

DarkSaint85
Stilt, fight me

Philosophía
You just asked one of the biggest Magnus fans on the web to repeat what he's been saying for 13 years.

Are you going to ask zopzop if he's gay next? stick out tongue

Yeah, I see what you're saying, but War's performance against Emma is not something Nur shouldn't be capable of.

Phil, do you remember if Jean had her Phoenix powers when she met Essex and Apoc in the past? I know that she did go by the codename "Phoenix" then and the book title is saying that too, but I'm still not sure.

@DS

Anyway, we're going in circles now, I already agreed on page 2 that Despero is tailor-made for conquering all minds, strong or not. That's his whole thing. I agree.

At this point, I can't follow what Jean taps when with what Phoenix force. I just consider her "regular" Jean.

StiltmanFTW
Stilt, fight me

I'm getting too old for this shit.

https://tinyurl.com/t96vycm

--
As mentioned already, Apoc does have a great track record against telepaths (Jean, Exodus, Cable) and powerful beings with vast arrays of powers, including some psionic abilities (Prime Eternal Ikaris, High Evolutionary).

Then you have Mister Sinister, who keeps rebelling/plotting against Nur... instead of, you know, obliterating him with a barrage of mental blasts.

I agree that Blue Lips needs more on panel feats, but Marvel keeps wanking Purple Chin instead.

Racism at its worst.

StiltmanFTW

-Pr-
I think it's regular Jean, but that's me. Or at least at the time it was mean to be, anwyay.

StiltmanFTW
Any idea why she still goes by Phoenix, then?

I always thought she used that codename for a reason, you know.

Then again, women never make any sense.

-Pr-
Any idea why she still goes by Phoenix, then?

I always thought she used that codename for a reason, you know.

Then again, women never make any sense.

Was it not something to do with Rachel asking her to, or something? It's been a while since I read it.

Edit: Found it:

https://i.imgur.com/O0yVbk9.jpg

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by -Pr-
Was it not something to do with Rachel asking her to, or something? It's been a while since I read it.

Edit: Found it:

Great find. That'd explain it. Thank you.

And thank Marvel for revealing to us how Phoenix-less Jean is even more powerful... shifty

-Pr-
lol np.

When did the retcon happen? Or are you talking about what happend after Zero Tolerance?

StiltmanFTW
Nah, not Zero Tolerance.

I'm talking about the quite recent events --- shortly after Jean was brought back.

Scans were posted on KMC (but they got buried, as usual), I think the idea got explored in the X-Men: Red run:

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-red-jean-grey-more-powerful-phoenix/

-Pr-
Nah, not Zero Tolerance.

I'm talking about the quite recent events --- shortly after Jean was brought back.

Scans were posted on KMC (but they got buried, as usual), I think the idea got explored in the X-Men: Red run:

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-red-jean-grey-more-powerful-phoenix/

JFC.

Also, credit to the artist for the third panel in which she's squatting to take a shit on our childhoods.

StiltmanFTW
laughing out loud

There is True Darkseid... there is True Jean... stop hating, bro cool

-Pr-
lol.

Also, just fyi, that scan is from Cyclops and Phoenix #4. Not the Further Adventures, which is the one posted earlier with Apoc and Sinister.

StiltmanFTW
Thank you thumb up

I love how Lex Luthor makes a cameo in your scan biscuits

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.