What did Canon Darth Vaders suite feel like ? (See below for details)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ozz81
In Star wars legends it said that darth vaders suite was designed and made to make him feel extreme discomfort, pain and suffering (ie itch, pain , heaviness , hard to breathe etc) and it was done deliberately by palaptine so that he can stay in tune with the dark side of the force ie the pain and discomfort made him more angry etc.

What does the canon stuff really say about what darth vaders suite really felt like when he wore it etc , was it painful and uncomfortable like the legends series or better ?

Zentrex
It wasn't painful or uncomfortable.
It made him stronger and faster. I forgot where it said this originally, but in the Darth Vader series by Kieron Gillen in 2015, it was pretty obvious that the armor had no disadvantages.

Galan007

Eli Vanto
Ya, canon Vader's suit didn't hinder him at all. If anything he was more powerful than ever.

Tzeentch
He was Palpatine's right-hand man so I imagine he had a pretty nice suite. At least a cocktail bar and walk-in baththub.

NewGuy01
It felt suite.

Zenwolf
His suit wasn't much a hindrance before either, sure at the start, but after he got adjusted, it wasn't.

Darth Thor
Well it helped him walk, move and fight. So clearly not a hindrance.

His injuries on the other hand... Those always kept him from overthrowing the Emperor.

StiltmanFTW
Didn't Vader construct a new suit for himself at some point, anyway?

Pretty sure Galan posted the scans.

Galan007
Yeah, after his battle with Kirak Infil'a, Vader's armor was wrecked, so he repaired and tweaked it himself.

At some point a second suit was created for him as well... Just in case his first suit was damaged and he needed to 'change' in the field, I guess.

Eli Vanto
Is there anything in canon that says Vaders suit did lessen his abilities, or do all canon quotes now say that he wasn't diminished by the suit?

I ask because in Legends the suit did seem to weaken him, so this seems like a big change.

Zentrex
It is a big change.

Zenwolf

Galan007
Originally posted by Eli Vanto
Is there anything in canon that says Vaders suit did lessen his abilities, or do all canon quotes now say that he wasn't diminished by the suit?

I ask because in Legends the suit did seem to weaken him, so this seems like a big change. All the material I've come across does nothing but paint a picture that the suit only bolstered Vader's stats, and didn't hinder him in any way.

Here's another example from Ultimate Star Wars:
https://i.imgur.com/uaKEeV8.jpg

Zentrex
Originally posted by Eli Vanto

I ask because in Legends the suit did seem to weaken him, so this seems like a big change.
See, the thing is that it was a little inconsistent in Legends. There are certain sources, like Luceno's books, which claim that the suit was uncomfortable and maybe even painful. Some say it was weak to lightning. Some claim the Emperor may have made his suit intentionally faulty with so that he couldn't overthrow him.

But other sources said that the hinderance of his powers was psychological. And the 4 Dark Horse Darth Vader comic runs proved his armor was capable of taking quite a beating, and that he wasn't useless even if it did fail him. And the Force Unleashed pretty much destroyed the argument about his suit being weak to lightning.

So really, the big change is that there are no other uber-powerful force-users there to make Vader seem like a weakling. He's one of the most powerful characters in Canon (short of the Emperor, of course), like he was always supposed to be.

Eli Vanto
Well on that note, how vulnerable is canon Vader;s suit to lightning?

Zentrex
Nothing I've read implies that it's vulnerable at all, actually. He even kept going after Cylo turned the suit off.

Galan007
Yeah, Vader doesn't seem particularly susceptible to lightning and whatnot in canon.

In Darth Vader #1 he soaked a lightning barrage from Palpatine and was none the worse for wear afterward. Granted Palpatine's lightning has varying levels of intensity, but still.

In Darth Vader #18 he endured a massive bolt of natural lightning on Eriadu with his armor already heavily damaged/comprised.

In Star Wars #75 he endured an EMP that was so powerful that it dropped ships out of the sky. Granted, this EMP weakened him to an extent, but he still went on to fight the heroes and ultimately tank the destruction of that world.

Zentrex
On that note, in Target Vader, Beilert Valance assumed (for some reason) that an "E.M.P. Device" would deactivate his suit. And it's implied that it would have had Valance not dropped it like a Jar Jar.

Galan007
But like you mentioned: even completely shutting down Vader's suit(like Cylo did) won't stop him.

YousufKhan1212
2018 edition of Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force limited Vader's movements to some degree, so he is still slower in canon. The AEYNTK list also says that his suit slowed him down.

Galan007
^ Though it is also noted that Vader just had to adopt a new fighting style in order to overcome his bulk.

However, the notion that his mobility was significantly restricted seems to be contradicted by quite a few showings from the comics(and novels), wherein he still appears to be extremely acrobatic, to say the least.

Zentrex
Just to be thorough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oo1aMdzr6Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttj9q7BanBA

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.