Has #meetoo really changed anything?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
I mean, do you think this will put a stop to abuse?

It looks to me like most cases are against has-beens, or people with waning power. But what about big shots currently in their prime? You think they're going to stop trading sexual favors for career advancement?

I don't.

SquallX

Surtur
It has definitely changed things, it has changed the way we discuss sexual assault and I'm also sure you had women who had been assaulted who had kept quiet and MeToo made them change their minds and not keep quiet.

Now I don't think this will stop women from sleeping with powerful men to get jobs nor do I think it will prevent any sexual assaults. No guy is out there thinking "I was gonna get into rape, but this f*cking Harvey Weinstein thing ruined it". And those who already have committed sexual assault and rape are probably not going to stop they are just gonna be more careful about how and when they do it.

So are women *safer* now than they were before Me Too? No probably not. Has rape gone down drastically? I wonder what the stats would say.

snowdragon
Originally posted by cdtm
I mean, do you think this will put a stop to abuse?

It looks to me like most cases are against has-beens, or people with waning power. But what about big shots currently in their prime? You think they're going to stop trading sexual favors for career advancement?

I don't.

Power over others financially or otherwise creates opportunities for said abuse, let's be honest though testosterone lends itself to that behavior, look no further then nat geo in the wild:P

Surtur

samhain
Originally posted by Surtur
It has definitely changed things, it has changed the way we discuss sexual assault and I'm also sure you had women who had been assaulted who had kept quiet and MeToo made them change their minds and not keep quiet.

Agreed. Sometimes it seems like people think that if something doesn't solve all aspects of a problem instantaneously then it's a waste of time, yet there are more subtle things happening under the surface. I would also suggest that the #metoo movement has at least the potential to cause some men to address and change their behaviour, not talking about rapists here, (they're gonna do what they're gonna do) but the type of guy who'll grope a drunk chick at the bar or on a dancefloor might take an extra few seconds to think about it and act accordingly, even if it is just self preservation.

dadudemon

Surtur
Bernie Sanders has taught me all women have rape fantasies so no wonder women kept coming back to ol' Harvey!

BackFire
I imagine it has changed things in Hollywood at least. Perhaps it has made people more comfortable about coming forward when it comes to sexual assault/harassment.

gold slorg
yeah, meteo has really revolutionized lots of areas of life, weather forecasts are an insane change to travelling, planning simple stuff such as doing laundry, knowing the weather is incredible, it's honestly as great to the humanity as the invention of electricity was lol

Putinbot1
Originally posted by BackFire
I imagine it has changed things in Hollywood at least. Perhaps it has made people more comfortable about coming forward when it comes to sexual assault/harassment. agreed and guys are probably less likely to try and take advantage. Good stuff! thumb up

SquallX

Putinbot1

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.