Opioid Abuse has cost US near $1 Trillion in losses in 4 years

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BrolyBlack
Link

dadudemon
This is a much more important topic to discuss than almost anything Trump related.

End the drug war, focus even 1/10 of those resources on drug rehab and drug-addiction programs and watch as we save the country hundreds of billions. It's not that hard.

rudester
What a crock the pharmaceutical companies want people getting sick".

BrolyBlack

jaden_2.0
Pretty grim statistics. Documentaries on the US drug problem cities are on a lot over here (started with Louis Theroux). So many places just seem entirely gripped by it. My home town has one of the highest heroin addiction rates per capita in Europe but even those problems seem to pale into insignificance compared to some US cities.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Pretty grim statistics. Documentaries on the US drug problem cities are on a lot over here (started with Louis Theroux). So many places just seem entirely gripped by it. My home town has one of the highest heroin addiction rates per capita in Europe but even those problems seem to pale into insignificance compared to some US cities. Yeah, the US is a hell hole no doubt. It's all about business there and not people unless you are lucky and has a family that looks after you like Surt and fair play to them and others like them.

SquallX

Ince|
Amazing.

Surtur
I just always worry about the impact this will have on people who truly need these medications.

Putinbot1

BrolyBlack

Surtur
Originally posted by Putinbot1
Where, I certainly didn't attack Surt or his family. Kudos to them helping him.

Sure you did, don't gas light others. No reason for you not to admit it, you have SDS thumb up

Surtur

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Surtur
Sure you did, don't gas light others. No reason for you not to admit it, you have SDS thumb up Not at all mate, I've said it before, I would also struggle in your position and I admire the loving support from your brother and others. I hope if I ever need help, I'm as lucky. thumb up

BrolyBlack
How would you solve it?

Make a law prohibiting their production

Surtur
Originally posted by BrolyBlack
Make a law prohibiting their production

So what about all the people with legitimate needs for the medications?

Surtur
What if tomorrow you're in a car accident. You sustain non-life threatening injuries that still require you to undergo a major surgery.

You wouldn't want to be able to receive prescriptions for pain medication for after your surgery while you recover?

Stringer

BrolyBlack
What if tomorrow you're in a car accident. You sustain non-life threatening injuries that still require you to undergo a major surgery.

You wouldn't want to be able to receive prescriptions for pain medication for after your surgery while you recover?

High strength THC

Surtur
Like which strain did you have in mind to deal with the pain from a major surgery?

BrolyBlack

Stringer
Well most pain management practices do drug screenings to determine abuse issues.

Surtur
Weed has gotten insanely more potent than it was decades ago. So people have been trying to develop potent stuff and they have succeeded.

It might be good for low level pain, but in our life time I do not see a strain ever being developed to take it beyond that.

Stringer

BackFire
So what about all the people with legitimate needs for the medications?

Yeah. Obviously there are legitimate needs for these drugs. My dad has a severe bad back, he's essentially crippled from it and the only thing allowing him to function at all is these drugs. He takes them as he's supposed to though, and he's been taking them for a very long time.

The problem comes from doctors prescribing them to people who don't need them. DDM's solution is the best one, make drug rehab more of a priority than locking people up.

Stringer

Surtur
I am always reminded of it being revealed Heath Ledger had been prescribed multiple opioids. For what reason?

Stringer

cdtm
Originally posted by dadudemon
This is a much more important topic to discuss than almost anything Trump related.

End the drug war, focus even 1/10 of those resources on drug rehab and drug-addiction programs and watch as we save the country hundreds of billions. It's not that hard.

Disagree. There is no opoid problem, this is a manufactured crisis.

Yes, some people will become addicted. It's been that way forever, and it's no worse now then it was then. It happens, there's nothing anyone can do about it, and most people won't have the problem.

Just like drinking. I drink, I moderate what I drink, how much, and when. No one says we should ban drinking,do they? So why ban opoids, just because a few people have a problem?

A few people can't drive either, why not ban cars? Or kids, since some are horrible abusive or incompetent parents.

Make drugs legal and let individuals decide what's good for them, not government.

Surtur
And if a drug company could come up with a 100% non-addictive drug that could treat serious levels of pain...why wouldn't they? There would be serious money to be made.

BrolyBlack

Stringer
How does nutrition have anything to do with pain management?

cdtm
Originally posted by Stringer
How does nutrition have anything to do with pain management?

Bad nutrition leads to lots of painful ailments.

BrolyBlack
I was speaking about getting sick not about pain management but CD is right as well.

Stringer
Oh ok both responses make sense

SquallX
Originally posted by cdtm

Yes, some people will become addicted. It's been that way forever, and it's no worse now then it was then. It happens, there's nothing anyone can do about it, and most people won't have the problem.

Just like drinking. I drink, I moderate what I drink, how much, and when. No one says we should ban drinking,do they? So why ban opoids, just because a few people have a problem?

A few people can't drive either, why not ban cars? Or kids, since some are horrible abusive or incompetent parents.

Make drugs legal and let individuals decide what's good for them, not government.

I can stand behind that idea. The more government regulations, the worse it becomes.

dadudemon

dadudemon

Raptor22

Make drugs legal and let individuals decide what's good for them, not government. ur wrong about some stuff but right about others.

Ur wrong, there is a very large opioid crisis. But ur right it is a manufactured one, manufactured by pharmaceutical and insurance companies.

Ur right some people will become addicted. But ur wrong about it not being worse now than it was before. Basically every statistic on the subject indicates that.

Ur right it happens but wrong about not being able to do anything about it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox59.com/2020/01/24/opioid-victims-can-begin-filing-claims-against-purdue-pharma/amp/

Ur right about u as an adult moderating what u drink, how much and when. But its not like drinking. With prescription opioids its a dr thats moderating what u take, how much and when.

Thats all well and good in theory, when the dr is looking out for their patients best interest. In reality, thru either what amounts to bribery and/or strong arm tactics by big insurance/pharma companies the patients best interest get tossed out the window and they get over/unnecessarily medicated.

Sure the patient has the choice to not take them. But do they really? Not when people need medicine after surgery but insurance companies (in cahoots with pharma) restricts what u can get and eliminates the other options. So its either the highly addictive medicine that u need or nothing. Not much of a choice ur left with.

Thats why there needs to be laws, regulations, and restrictions that are enforced to keep these practices in check.

Surtur
I mean yes our best meds for fighting pain are addictive so I do support research into non-addictive meds but until we achieve those meds we should not rob people of needed medication.

Robtard
What is opioid-induced constipation?

No wonder a certain someone is always cranky...

Surtur
Thankfully the only side effect I encounter is nausea. I mean it's not fun but it could be worse.

Well wait no it's not the only thing, the meds kill your appetite too, but it's not necessarily an unpleasant feeling you just don't feel hungry.

Robtard
I was talking about Broly, mr selfimportant.

But come on, you're constipated AF, both figuratively and literally full of shit.

Surtur
If Broly is on opioids he has a funny way of showing it.

Robtard
How should one show opioid use?

Surtur
Originally posted by Robtard
How should one show opioid use?

By not advocating for the complete and total banning of it...

Robtard
Eh, not necessarily related. A person addicted to smoking could also be in favor of higher smoking restrictions as they have first hand experience in what smoking can do. Anyhow, it was a joke cos Broly made the thread.

Sucks you're constantly constipated though, eat a lot of fruit and drink plenty of water, supposed to help, Surt.

Surtur
I mean I do nibble on fruit a lot, but not for that...but I wonder if that is why I don't suffer from it? I love kiwi.

Robtard
Fruit is supposed to help chronic constipation, due to the high fiber and water content. So eat plenty of fruit and poop freely, Surt.

Surtur
Good thing I enjoy fruit perhaps it spared me.

Robtard
Surt, you're not fooling anyone.

Surtur
I feel like you probably don't wanna enter into a discussion about my poop cycles. It is creepy. Let it go.

Robtard
Or lack there of....

Surtur
I think people react differently to these meds. For me it is nausea and if I take a pill on an empty stomach I am guaranteed to puke.

jaden_2.0
Try getting your hands on some kratom if you can get it easily in Chicago.

cdtm
Originally posted by Robtard
Fruit is supposed to help chronic constipation, due to the high fiber and water content. So eat plenty of fruit and poop freely, Surt.

Fruit gives me throat a rash.

I find spicy foods can really screw up your poop cycles. As can eating a giant burger and nothing else at a meal, that was two days ago and I'm still crapping out glue.

dadudemon
I feel like you probably don't wanna enter into a discussion about my poop cycles. It is creepy. Let it go.

I do. Tell us more.

I am usually a twice a day person: morning and night. About 30-60 minutes after waking and around 7 at night.

cdtm
I do. Tell us more.

I am usually a twice a day person: morning and night. About 30-60 minutes after waking and around 7 at night.

Once a day usually. Big movement.

Several if constipated.

Seems to take about 10 hours for food to pass. Not sure if that's at all normal.

Was worried about really narrow stool for a bit. And curled. Happened with a chicken and fiber diet. But I think the heavy spicy food caused inflammation, as cutting back lead to stool bulking up.

About three days ago, had a double burger, no vegetable. The next day, was like pushing out glue. Actually got all over the back seat, stuck in the inner bowel.

Today, it was rabbit pellets. Mostly soup yesterday, one Cambells corn chowder and chicken, and two big bowels of home made chicken soup at night.

You asked.

dadudemon
Once a day usually. Big movement.

Several if constipated.

Seems to take about 10 hours for food to pass. Not sure if that's at all normal.

Was worried about really narrow stool for a bit. And curled. Happened with a chicken and fiber diet. But I think the heavy spicy food caused inflammation, as cutting back lead to stool bulking up.

About three days ago, had a double burger, no vegetable. The next day, was like pushing out glue. Actually got all over the back seat, stuck in the inner bowel.

Today, it was rabbit pellets. Mostly soup yesterday, one Cambells corn chowder and chicken, and two big bowels of home made chicken soup at night.

You asked.

One way to check is the Booberry test. Around Halloween or if you can get it on Amazon, buy some Booberry cereal. Eat two large bowls. Set the timer. However long it takes to poop out blue poop, that's how long it takes your food to go through.

It doesn't work with spicy food. I can eat something very spicy and I feel the burns in 4-8 hours but what I ate is not coming out. My body moves the spice through much more quickly than the food itself, for some reason. Not sure how that works.

From mouth to toilet, it should be 18-30 hours. Mine is closer to 18, depending on what I ate.

Booberry Poop Test. BPT

Try it.

cdtm
The spice moving fast would explain the few occasions an afternoon at Buffalo Wild Wings ended with something really unpleasant at 2 in the morning.

Never used to have that problem.

Putinbot1
I do. Tell us more.

I am usually a twice a day person: morning and night. About 30-60 minutes after waking and around 7 at night. My cycle is similar, sadly I wake at least once to piss in the night now... old prostate.

samhain
One way to check is the Booberry test. Around Halloween or if you can get it on Amazon, buy some Booberry cereal. Eat two large bowls. Set the timer. However long it takes to poop out blue poop, that's how long it takes your food to go through.

The same thing can be achieved with Guinness, except it's black not blue, also the time frame might be a little off as you're only digesting food colouring with Guinness.

cdtm
If it's fast, shouldn't it generally be more liquid?

samhain
If it's fast, shouldn't it generally be more liquid?

That about my Guinness comment? If so, I would assume the liquid part goes into your urinary system and the food colouring part is digested into your poop stream. I'm by no means an expert though, on Guinness or digestion.

cdtm
Originally posted by samhain
That about my Guinness comment? If so, I would assume the liquid part goes into your urinary system and the food colouring part is digested into your poop stream. I'm by no means an expert though, on Guinness or digestion.

The comment on 18 hours being normal.

If I was fast, wouldn't I get liquid?

And slow would be end of days Elvis?

Raptor22
U guys are making this harder than it has 2 be. Eat some corn. When u start shitting nibblets do the math.

dadudemon
The comment on 18 hours being normal.

If I was fast, wouldn't I get liquid?

And slow would be end of days Elvis?

Yes.

If it is too fast, it will be more liquid. Because your colon didn't have enough time to absorb the water from your poop.

Digests too quickly: diarrhea or runny pudding. Add in gas from things like Celiacs or lactose intolerance, and you end up with pressurized-runny-pudding.

Too slowly: little malt balls or very hard, painful to pass, lumpy, logs.

Also, these are topics American adults should talk about more. We don't. Because we are far too puritanical and conservative. But your BMs are among the most important aspects of your health. What you eat and what you poop are among the top 5 fundamentals of health. No one should be afraid.

People in the workplace freely talk about taking statins for their cholesterol: how is that any different than BM and colon health? It's not. Poop is smelly and dirty so people are puritanical about it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.