You become the head of Marvel or DC

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

MrMind
You can choose marvel or dc, not both

you become the publisher, editor and the top writer

what decision would you make to change the company for the better

SquallX

lawest9
I agree, I would keep everyone their original color ( and this is a black man saying it ) and as for the gay/lesbian thing.........TOTALLY out of the question, both companies make me sick with this, also I would try to initial more crossovers between the companies because they are fun and I would push for an agreement to make them canon for both companies.

DarkSaint85
Define better.

Because Marvel/Disney is doing amazingly well atm.

SquallX

lawest9
DC is a lot more successful on the small screen and in animated movies, but the money is in the big screens

Galan007
DC.

I only allow Morrison to create any new content.

Company saved. thumb up

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by lawest9
DC is a lot more successful on the small screen

https://tinyurl.com/wgeh85z

MrMind
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
https://tinyurl.com/wgeh85z

laughing out loud holy shit laughing out loud

Originally posted by Galan007
DC.

Company saved. thumb up

DC would only publish 6 issues a year if that happens

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by MrMind

Everybody is so busy bashing DCEU, they haven't noticed that DC managed to shit all over "the small screen", too:

wGkl9YMahgs

MrMind
CW is for teenagers

SquallX

DC would only publish 6 issues a year if that happens

But those would be six glorious issues though.

Galan007
Originally posted by SquallX
But those would be six glorious issues though. thumb up

SquallX
I would also bring Moore in, no matter how slim that is.

Putinbot1
DC.

Company saved. thumb up Jim Shooter for me is in many ways the greatest of all time.

Galan007
Really?

DarkSaint85
Gaiman, Morrison and Moore.

Heh. 3 Brits at an American company writing American mythology.

SquallX
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Gaiman, Morrison and Moore.

Heh. 3 Brits at an American company writing American mythology.

I thought Morrison was Scottish?

SquallX
I would also resurrect Kirby and let him go loose with his New Gods.

DarkSaint85

He is.

Scotland is part of Great Britain, making him British.

Eon Blue

He is.

SquallX

ShadowFyre
Define better.

Because Marvel/Disney is doing amazingly well atm.

I'm assuming that is up to the readers interpretation. They could be doing well money wise but fans are unhappy I suppose.

Marvel. I would turn Iceman gay.

MrMind
iceman is already gay, anymore out of the closet he'd be flaming

SquallX
Originally posted by ShadowFyre
I'm assuming that is up to the readers interpretation. They could be doing well money wise but fans are unhappy I suppose.

Marvel. I would turn Iceman gay.

Turn Iceman gay laughing

MrMind
But those would be six glorious issues though.

maybe, I don't like his current run on Green Lantern. It's going too slow.

ShadowFyre
I don't know what I would actually do. I would probably change a few Thor things but at the end of the day, I know I wouldn't be a great writer so I would just concentrate on running the business well and hiring good writers and trying to make sure everybody was happy and doing the characters justice.

Being consistent with character portrayals would be a big deal of mine

SquallX

cdtm
You can choose marvel or dc, not both

you become the publisher, editor and the top writer

what decision would you make to change the company for the better

I'd follow the data of who spends more, and pander to that audience.

Which at the moment tends to be lgbtq, minorities, and women.

I would totally neglect the basement dwelling core audience, as they have less disposable income, and are a relic of a bygone era displaced by changing demographics.

To that end, Thor would become a fluid gender multiracial atheist, with Asgard only existing as an ironic chip 'n dales renamed ass-guard.

Pretty much the opposite of what Marvel is doing.

beatboks
CW is for teenagers

There is a lot more to "small screen DC" than just CW. Aside from the 6 CW shows (Arrow, Flash, SG, Legends, Black Lightning, Batwoman) we have 9 current/recent shows like Titans, Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing. Gotham, Krypton, Pennyworth, Lucifer, and watchmen.

Historically we have Smallville, Superboy, Human Target (2 series), Lois and Clark. Further back Shazam, Wonder Woman, Batman, Superman, Isis,

Compare to netflix shows (DD, Luke Cage, IF, Jessica Jones, Defenders), agents of shield, Inhumans, cloak and dagger, runnaways, gifted and historically Hulk, Spiderman plus Mutant x which is loosely linked at best. Upc

Also Well past a teen, and I enjoy several of the CW DC shows.

beatboks
Originally posted by cdtm
I'd follow the data of who spends more, and pander to that audience.

Which at the moment tends to be lgbtq, minorities, and women.

I would totally neglect the basement dwelling core audience, as they have less disposable income, and are a relic of a bygone era displaced by changing demographics.

To that end, Thor would become a fluid gender multiracial atheist, with Asgard only existing as an ironic chip 'n dales renamed ass-guard.

Pretty much the opposite of what Marvel is doing.

Late teens and 20 somethings spend more. They have less financial committments. Back in the 90s the ten network in Australia stopped competing in the ratings war and changed their line up to cater to that age group. Despite not getting anywjere near top ratings they ended ul charging more for their advertising and spending less on the shows because advertisers would pay more to advertise to that market group because they spend a lot higher percentage of what they earn.

beatboks
Whichever of the big two I took over at I'd get Roy Thomas back to write and to create the company editorial line.

If anyone can restore what was good about characters in their best incanarion write away what was crap AND come up with a plausible story that retains the canon of both in the process it would be Roy.

If I was at DC I'd also make up with Robinson and give him free reign on any title he wanted, Mike Grell would also get his pick of titles. I'd love to see him and Roy Thomas work together on a book. I'm getting images of a Conan and Warlord team-up. I'd also hire Gary Chaloner and Tad Pietrzykowski just so I could see Dark Nebula, Jackaroo, Nightfighter Southern Cross, Lt Smith and Dingo interact with others of my favorite comic characyers

DarkSaint85

Putinbot1
Really? Yeah, despite the fact I vaguely know Moore, Jim Shooter had a way of making comics work. He imposed quality control on Marvel as E in C and ushered in Marvels golden age. What was going on in the pages of 2000AD, Captain Britain Magazine and Warrior a little later in the UK was important. I don't know if you've ever heard of Action? It was banned for its violence and as a result is very rare. I have all the issues, in many ways it paved the way for 2000 AD although we based more around around war and detective stories. I doubt Moore would have pulled the shit he did without it, it was a natural progression tbh.

That said as far as Universe creation and basic tropes, Shooter, Geffen and Claremont struggle to be topped for me. If you want a solid one issue comic book that might tie into a bigger story they are the Rosetta stone.

Sin I AM
I'd focus on the no names. Everyone who currently is popular and has a title I would cancel. I'd only use c and d list Villians and heroes like hammer and anvil or death adder. No big events either, you just kinda see their day to day lives and schemes.

-Pr-
iirc Shooter was a giant prick. Sure, it's hard to argue with results, but he's one of those guys that a lot of his peers had very little in terms of nice things to say about him.

==

As far as the thread goes, I would want to do some heavy restructuring. Editorial would be scaled back, only having input in to stories when something a writer did contradicted canon or, in the case of a crossover, lacked consistency with the overreaching arc.

Editors aren't writers, even if they were in the past.

And as far as writers themselves go, new writers would go through a kind of orientation where they'd sit down with a senior writer and get shown the ropes, allowing both their comfort and hopefully a higher quality product as a result.

Every major character has a "bible" similar to what you would see in a TV show. Guidelines that you're supposed to stay within so you don't start messing things up. Nothing too specific, more like "this is where they live, these are their powers, and these are their costars" kind of thing.

On a character by character basis, I really don't know. Some characters/teams obviously need heavy restructuring, but some would only need minor changes to make them work better.

Think that's it.

Oh, and I'd never let Bendis or Snyder near an event book. Ever.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by -Pr-
iirc Shooter was a giant prick. Sure, it's hard to argue with results, but he's one of those guys that a lot of his peers had very little in terms of nice things to say about him.

This is undoubtedly true, that said no one likes a boss who demands they up their game, which he also did. His prickishness is public record, but so is Stan Lee's

-Pr-
Originally posted by Putinbot1
This is undoubtedly true, that said no one likes a boss who demands they up their game, which he also did. His prickishness is public record, but so is Stan Lee's

Oh, definitely. A lot of the greats have issues like that. I read that John Byrne was awful to work with too.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by -Pr-
Oh, definitely. A lot of the greats have issues like that. I read that John Byrne was awful to work with too. Did you ever read Byrnes next men, he had a letters page in it where he was a cock to readers, his arrogance knows no end.

I think a lot of truly creative people are probably total cocks, the more you read about them, the more of a cock they appear. First time I met Alan more was in Orbital Comics on Charring Cross road he did a promo for Lost Girls, I was allowed a cup of tea and brief chat with him. He is a lovely guy, very droll and very, very intelligent. To clarify, I was one of many he chatted to that day. Although I have met him a few times since.

beatboks
I met Alan more was in Orbital Comics on Charring Cross road he did a promo for Lost Girls, I was allowed a cup of tea and brief chat with him. He is a lovely guy, very droll and very, very intelligent. To clarify, I was one of many he chatted to that day. Although I have met him a few times since.

I met Mike Grell at Supanova on the gold coast a couple of years ago. He was the only one at the event not charging for his signature and we had a chat. He was super cool with my kids also.

I was lucky enough that someone close to Roy Thomas gave me his email years ago. I emailed a thank you (as a huge fan of his work). He graciously replied and over 3 emails actually answered a few of my questions on his work.

So there are some great talen that dont let it go to their head

Stoic

MrMind
Heh....

-Pr-
Did you ever read Byrnes next men, he had a letters page in it where he was a cock to readers, his arrogance knows no end.

I think a lot of truly creative people are probably total cocks, the more you read about them, the more of a cock they appear. First time I met Alan more was in Orbital Comics on Charring Cross road he did a promo for Lost Girls, I was allowed a cup of tea and brief chat with him. He is a lovely guy, very droll and very, very intelligent. To clarify, I was one of many he chatted to that day. Although I have met him a few times since.

I imagine guys like that are generally dicks to their peers more than they are to fans. I mean, you mentioned Alan Moore, and he's probably the most well-known ******* in comicdom.

I mean, imagine working at Marvel or DC, and someone like Grant Morrison or Marv Wolfman comes to you and says "I have some ideas about your book". On the one hand you'd be flattered. On the other, you could ****ing hate their idea, and if you don't use it, they could take offence, which could be the start of a bad relationship.

StiltmanFTW
What's your problem with Shooter again?

Most people on this planet are dicks.

Dude gave us Secret Wars. Marvel tried to remake that story a hundred of times and they never came close to Shooter's level.

MrMind

Dude gave us Secret Wars. Marvel tried to remake that story a hundred of times and they never came close to Shooter's level.

Bro why aren't you commenting on my baby dick Clark vs micropenis Odinson thread

StiltmanFTW
laughing

I'm on it.

-Pr-

Like I said, I can't argue with his results, but if you google "Jim Shooter is an *******" you'll get a fair few results.

I'd paste them here for you if I wasn't just about to head out, but if you want, I can paste some later when I get home.

And, like I said, he's not the only one. Comics history is filled with at the greats seeming to hate at least one of the other greats.

beatboks
Originally posted by Stoic
Nothing else? Marvel is beating DC where it counts the most. Care to check out their individual net worth?

I just Googled it and acording to several sources their exact net worth isnt known but both are estimated to be near 4 billion.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/dc-comics-or-marvel-which-companys-net-worth-is-higher.html/

The only differentiations I can see is 130b for Disney and 200b for AT&T. Unless your trying to compare WB srudios with MRvel as a whole. But that doesnt work since WB stusios is worth 5.12b and it would only compare to Marvel Studios which isnt as much (given disney payed 4b for Marvel including comics and the Studio (rhough they are both woth that alone now). AT&T paid 85b two years ago for time warner which at the time was kore than Disney's net worth. Which has gone up adter spending 71b buying fox

DarkSaint85
That article is quite old though. Since 2014, we've had several Avengers films which broke the billion mark, Joker etc.

beatboks
That article is quite old though. Since 2014, we've had several Avengers films which broke the billion mark, Joker etc.

Yeah but has either company done anything to increase their value more overall?.

Marvel might have more high dollar movies but WB has more high dollar TV shows TV shows. Merchandise from both would be around the same. Warner owns HBO (which got 2.2 billion from GOT alone, HBO now alone made them 5.89b in 2016, 3.2b in 2018). Disney plus will likely give Disney a hit soon but not before suffering a drop by pulling back all content and the revenue those licences generated, set up costs of the service and marketing campaigns as it gets released. But then HBO Max is going to follow. Disney's purchase of Fox has increased its assets but also likely cut into its liquidity

cdtm
Some do, some don't. As is, legally officially, etc he's a Brit, like One Angry Scot.

Isn't that the same way a jew is officially their nationality, e.g. American, Russian, Israeli, yet all may identify as jewish?

DarkSaint85
Not quite.

You have the countries of England, Wales and Scotland.

Then the nation of Great Britain made up of these three. But none of these three are politically independent countries.

Then the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.