Work

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Putinbot1
In my 20s all I wanted to do was finish work and go home, finish the week and **** lots and get hammered, stoned, coked up.

By 30 all I wanted to do was get promoted, get more money, get my power etc.

By 40 my career stalled a bit, bored at work and bored at home.

Early 40's I made some changes to my financial detriment, then by my late 40's my financial success.

Now at 53 I estimate over the next 10 years I will make twice as much as in the last 30. I also never want to go home and often am in the office till 7,8 or 9 pm, I get up between 5:30 and 6:30 and start working again by 7:15, I sometimes work 7 day weeks, what I used to hate I now love. Does any of this resonate with you?

Patient_Leech
Don't do cocaine. Shame on you, terrible influence on your infinite kids... mad

SquallX

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Don't do cocaine. Shame on you, terrible influence on your infinite kids... mad To be honest I was a pretty shitty husband and father first time around, the kids turned out O.K. because I got better when we got divorced. In those days. I lived for Rugby on Saturday Afternoon and Clubbing on Saturday Evening and Friday if I wasn't playing. I spent more time out of the house at the gym, doing muay thai and taking coke and ecstasy than on them. I was better second time around, by then I only did roids and booze. smile

@Squall the quote stopped working halfway through this post as it often does. If I'm honest with you, I never truly just worked for myself and I don't now. Having kids means you always need to be able to put food on the table for them and bail them out. When you are a father it will shock you how often that actually is. So whilst I may have sometimes been not the perfect parent, but few are... I always got the providing part down. Hopefully I'll get the other parts right third time around, we will see. If you raise this thread when you are 40, I will only be 63 so, I should still be around if you raise it at 50, less likely. smile

snowdragon
Originally posted by Putinbot1
In my 20s all I wanted to do was finish work and go home, finish the week and **** lots and get hammered, stoned, coked up.

By 30 all I wanted to do was get promoted, get more money, get my power etc.

By 40 my career stalled a bit, bored at work and bored at home.

Early 40's I made some changes to my financial detriment, then by my late 40's my financial success.

Now at 53 I estimate over the next 10 years I will make twice as much as in the last 30. I also never want to go home and often am in the office till 7,8 or 9 pm, I get up between 5:30 and 6:30 and start working again by 7:15, I sometimes work 7 day weeks, what I used to hate I now love. Does any of this resonate with you?

Around 27-31 I was a night shift supervisor at an MCI call center, it was absolutely the craziest work environment I ever had that which essentially brought your desires as a 20-year-old into the work environment everyday hiring university students nonstop lol.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by snowdragon
Around 27-31 I was a night shift supervisor at an MCI call center, it was absolutely the craziest work environment I ever had that which essentially brought your desires as a 20-year-old into the work environment everyday hiring university students nonstop lol. laughing out loud

Robtard
The concept of "work" is truly alien to some though...

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Robtard
The concept of "work" is truly alien to some though... This is a definite truth Rob, some people will never have the satisfaction of a job well done. I'm not saying work defines me, but I sometimes think it gives me much more than just an income.

samhain
IMO as you leave your 20's you need a better reason to get up in the morning and go to work other than, 'Make money for partying'. So many people I know are struggling in that way and a lot of them develop drug or alcohol problems because that's all they live for now. Instead of having a great time as a youngster and moving on they keep chasing that hedonism of youth. Not saying that having kids is the answer either, I know plenty of coke-head parents too, but living the same way for more than a decade can't be good for you. Become excellent in your chosen field, work really hard and take a bunch of vacations each year, start a jazz band, etc. What worked for you at 23 probably won't work for you at 33. I'm much happier now that I no longer obliterate my wages by Sunday afternoon and have found other things to do with my time and money. Although a champagne/cocaine fueled threeway is still good every once in a while.

Robtard
This is a definite truth Rob, some people will never have the satisfaction of a job well done. I'm not saying work defines me, but I sometimes think it gives me much more than just an income.

I don't care if you're making minimum wage cooking burgers or the CEO of a multi-billion dollar company, generally speaking, people find pleasure doing something well and being rewarded for their work.

Just like there's more satisfaction earning your own wealth compared to it being given to you via inheritance or luck.

Putinbot1
I don't care if you're making minimum wage cooking burgers or the CEO of a multi-billion dollar company, generally speaking, people find pleasure doing something well and being rewarded for their work.

Just like there's more satisfaction earning your own wealth compared to it being given to you via inheritance or luck. Oh God, no doubt!

Putinbot1
Originally posted by samhain
IMO as you leave your 20's you need a better reason to get up in the morning and go to work other than, 'Make money for partying'. So many people I know are struggling in that way and a lot of them develop drug or alcohol problems because that's all they live for now. Instead of having a great time as a youngster and moving on they keep chasing that hedonism of youth. Not saying that having kids is the answer either, I know plenty of coke-head parents too, but living the same way for more than a decade can't be good for you. Become excellent in your chosen field, work really hard and take a bunch of vacations each year, start a jazz band, etc. What worked for you at 23 probably won't work for you at 33. I'm much happier now that I no longer obliterate my wages by Sunday afternoon and have found other things to do with my time and money. Although a champagne/cocaine fueled threeway is still good every once in a while. We are so ****ing British and state educated mate! It's like you are channeling my thoughts and how I remember twenty years ago.

Robtard
Sam has lived life.

Bashar Teg
the older I get, the more revolting the notion of retirement seems to me.

Robtard
Might be cos you're in your 40's and can't see yourself doing nothing work-wise. That might change in your late 50's.

Though I've known people who were over retirement age and still worked, not because they had too, they were very well off financially, but because the thought of not working was anathema too them. Some people simply enjoy working and earning their own way. Some people are content scrapping by on free handouts.

Bashar Teg
b1tch you don't know me

Robtard
Calm down

Bashar Teg
my feelings on retirement are not based on a belief structure or any moral/ethical dilemma. For example I don't find it coincidental that so many people (typically men) drop dead very soon after retirement

Eon Blue

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
my feelings on retirement are not based on a belief structure or any moral/ethical dilemma. For example I don't find it coincidental that so many people (typically men) drop dead very soon after retirement this is perhaps the truest most salient post of the week I have read. thumb up

dadudemon
To be honest I was a pretty shitty husband and father first time around, the kids turned out O.K. because I got better when we got divorced. In those days. I lived for Rugby on Saturday Afternoon and Clubbing on Saturday Evening and Friday if I wasn't playing. I spent more time out of the house at the gym, doing muay thai and taking coke and ecstasy than on them. I was better second time around, by then I only did roids and booze. smile

It's hard to imagine you're a narcissist when you readily admit your faults.

I've had career bumps, as well. Really want to move back to upper management, though. Working on updating my credentials to make that move.

dadudemon

Just like there's more satisfaction earning your own wealth compared to it being given to you via inheritance or luck.

Spot on. Hate the people that talk down janitors or fry cooks. It's a job! It's better than nothing.

I loved working at McDonald's when I was in high school.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by dadudemon
It's hard to imagine you're a narcissist when you readily admit your faults.

I've had career bumps, as well. Really want to move back to upper management, though. Working on updating my credentials to make that move. You'll do it, you are still very young believe it or not (OK Boomer thinks DDM, I'm Gen X thinks Whirly laughing out loud ). I know my faults DDM, but it doesn't stop me loving myself too much. I've reached a point in my career where outside my Job, I even deliver trainings and consult. I'm on the verge of being able to, maybe in four years, just consult. I even consulted to the Governments of two GCC nations, which is scary.

gold slorg
working is just means to an end for me, all the stuff i love in life is impossible to monetize (well at least most of them without making them not so fascinating anymore), working just allows me to have financial stability to do stuff i like, it's been like that since forever even though i started working when i was like 17 iirc

i've changed fields 4 times now that i'm 26 just because everything gets annoying after some time lmao

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by dadudemon
Spot on. Hate the people that talk down janitors Underrated people who take that job for the pay they get. Life would f*cking suck if nobody did it.

Mindship
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
I don't find it coincidental that so many people (typically men) drop dead very soon after retirement I think it depends on the type of person, ie, were they healthy, did they live for work, etc. Most retirees I know are quite alive and kickin'. Some have trouble with loss of job-related relevance, and a few, unfortunately, have indeed died.

I was born to play, so for me retirement has been an absolute blessing. It's like being a kid again, only with money and tons of playtime. My daughter is grown and on her own, my wife is a big kid like me. Life is good, and I am thankful every day for it, especially since I made so many stupid, lazy-driven mistakes in my teens and 20s.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Mindship
I think it depends on the type of person, ie, were they healthy, did they live for work, etc.

no argument there

LordofBrooklyn
A bunch of damn grifters here moving from town to town and state to state.

Eon Blue

dadudemon
Originally posted by LordofBrooklyn
A bunch of damn grifters here moving from town to town and state to state.

My home offices and work places have been Oklahoma City and Tulsa for all of my life.

But I've had to travel a lot for consulting services and training over the years.

A couple of times, I offered to meet up with PVS when I was in Atlantic City but he wasn't game - he thought I would stab him or something.

But I'm up for meeting almost anyone besides the people that are probably genuine killers.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.