Star Wars: The High Republic (aka. "Project Luminous")

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Galan007
Promo Trailer #1:
xCat5fXRyyU

Promo Trailer #2:
_A0N3DE5y8U

http://i.imgur.com/g0nh5Yrl.jpg

NewGuy01
Well.

ares834
**** Disney.

Galan007
I just don't get what angle they're going to play here. Is the point of this 'event' to... Remove the force from the galaxy, or create an 'alternate' force, or..?

This may be what finally removes any semblance of interest I still have in Disney canon. srsly

Zenwolf
Ok I'm calling it, they are gonna introduce Artifical Force Users. But it seems to me...that it's gonna be more based from technology, rather than The Force.

I'm seeing pretty much Reborn/Shadowtroopers from the Empire Reborn under Desann. The difference is, technology is what's probably gonna fuel them with The Force rather than having the actual Force being imbued into them by a powerful Force User or an ancient sith artifact.

Or perhaps Galan as you said, an alternate Force...which yeah...that I wouldn't like.

Galan007
That's just it: the teaser is so vaguely written that they could go any number of worrisome ways with it.

This could be really, really bad. Hope not, but I have virtually no faith in them at this point. Soule is the only potential light in the darkness there for me, but even he can only do so much.

Zenwolf
Is there a specific date for this? Also taking place in which era?

Galan007
There is virtually no info available for Project Luminous. In fact, that teaser is about it.

Soule has also be teasing it the last few months, but all he's saying is that it's going to be BIG. They've been very tight-lipped about it.

That said, no idea which era it will be set in, and no idea *when* in 2020 it'll begin. Rebellion era seems unlikely, though, as Soule is going to relaunch the SW comic series soon, and set it in the post-ESB/pre-RotJ era... But again, there's nothing concrete yet.

Zenwolf

Galan007
These are, as of now, unconfirmed rumors, so keep that in mind while reading. That being said, this is supposedly the premise of Project Luminous...

"Supposedly, Disney is also feeling that its current path with movies has flaws, and has, therefore, started designing a huge project years ago, which would result in making the future of the Star Wars franchise similar to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Our informant said that the new, connected multiplatform story will be set 300-400 years BEFORE the Skywalker-saga. The plot would involve a group of Jedi setting out to explore the Unknown Regions of the Galaxy (Timothy Zahn's Outbound Flight might come into mind, which also deals with the Jedi exploring what lies outside the edges of the Galaxy). According to our informant, the Jedi would get involved in numerous adventures and conflicts with three different types of enemies, the darkest being ancient evils, Sith gods of some sort.

As far as we know, these stories would be separate, but also connected, similar to the MCU. The more one would see, the more it could be enjoyed, with the different plots culminating in the style of the Avengers movies. The main Jedi characters would also have different strengths and powers, similar to superheroes.

Although Project Luminous is said to be launched in 2020, our informant said that its first product will be a video game in 2021, but could provide no information about its content and its developers."

-Source

Darth Thor
Im all for inter connectivity between different mediums of canon. But trying to emulate Avengers sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Sheev
Sounds like it's only going to "emulate Avengers" in the sense that several different stories will interweave into a single, unified crescendo event. That formula sounds fantastic to me. And it's going to be set in the unknown Regions where they can literally do anything with the plot that they want (enter the "Sith gods"winkthumb upthumb up

There's also no way we won't see a middle-aged Yoda in this, which will also be cool.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Sheev
Sounds like it's only going to "emulate Avengers" in the sense that several different stories will interweave into a single, unified crescendo event.

And Jedi with different powers to try and emulate superheroes.

Theres clearly potential there but Star Wars has always been a franchise that mixed up different genres to do its own thing. Its never emulated one specific franchise, so that sounds worrying.

Of course a lot will depend on whose in charge at this stage. If its Feige, then of course hed be the perfect guy to emulate his own formula.

If its Kennedy, I can see this going horribly wrong.

Sheev
Different Jedi have ALWAYS (even in Legends) had particular strengths in different areas of the Force, and have often been recruited specifically FOR that strength when a mission calls for it. Even the Disney haters should be able to admit that this is NOT a new concept.

I imagine Kennedy's tenure with SW (at least where large-scale events are concerned) is done. The front-runners of this Project are Gray, Ireland, Scott, Soule, and Older. And I fully expect Feige to be brought in as co-president to help produce this story.

Darth Thor
Different Jedi have ALWAYS (even in Legends) had particular strengths in different areas of the Force, and have often been recruited specifically FOR that strength when a mission calls for it. Even the Disney haters should be able to admit that this is NOT a new concept.

I get that. Im just worried that they are actively trying to emulate superheroes. And specifically bringing them together like a superhero team. Star Wars has always bee its own thing, if you just make it a 2nd rate Marvel franchise, then audiences will treat it as such.

But like I said, there is potential if done right, and certainly if this is what Feige is doing for Star Wars. Feige is a big Star Wars fan as well.

I imagine Kennedy's tenure with SW (at least where large-scale events are concerned) is done.

I sure hope so. Ive already heard youtubers giving her massive credit for achieving an average of a billon dollars per film for the Disney Star Wars films.

Instead of pointing out shes lost almost half the audience since its Force Awakens debut.

Galan007
Yeah, if this is indeed the route Project Luminous is headed, then I don't see Jedi being treated as Avengers-esque superheroes, but rather, specific Jedi being recruited for the special/unique abilities they might have, which could be useful in a mission to uncharted space with completely unknown threats lurking there.

Similarly to what Mace did here:
http://i.imgur.com/EmoQCe0m.jpg http://i.imgur.com/8XhWPPSm.jpg

As Sheev said: Jedi putting together teams like that is not a new concept at all -- it happened frequently in Legends as well. If people choose to perceive it as an "Avengers ripoff" or whathaveyou, then that's just their own ignorance of the franchise bleeding through.

...Now if they have the leader yell "JEDI ASSSSEEEMMMMMBLEEEEE!!!!" or some shit, then that's another matter entirely. stick out tongue

Darth Thor
^ That would all be fine if the article you posted didnt specifically mention Avengers and superheroes. Really depends where there head is at. If this is a natural extension of the lore inspired by the EU, or if its Disney/Lucasfilm panicking and asking Feige to come in and turn this franchise into the Star Wars equivalent of Avengers lol

Galan007
That's just what the person who wrote the article likened his informant's leaks to. It's not like Disney put out an official press release that directly compared Project Luminous to the Avengers.

This guy compares it to the Avengers format, because several different stories will ultimately mesh into a single, large-scale event. Difference is, these stories will all be taking place across various forms of media -- from games, to novels, to comics, to films... It's a very bold premise that I can honestly get behind if done right(like you said.)

He also compares the Jedi to superheroes, because each member of the team(s) will have special powers that are unique to them and help balance the collective. But again, specific Jedi being recruited to a team due to the unique abilities they possess isn't a new concept at all. They did stuff like that in Legends, and they have previously done it in canon... This would just elevate the idea a bit. /shrug

...But I'm sure the anti-Disney folks will run with the "Avengers ripoff" comparison nonetheless.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Ok I'm calling it, they are gonna introduce Artifical Force Users.

That was already done in the Jedi Knight series.

Edit: nvm, I see you're familiar with the concept already thumb up

Sheev
Originally posted by Galan007
That's just what the person who wrote the article likened his informant's leaks to. It's not like Disney put out an official press release that directly compared Project Luminous to the Avengers.

This guy compares it to the Avengers, because several different stories will ultimately mesh into a single, large-scale event. Difference is, these stories will all be taking place across various forms of media -- from games, to novels, to comics, to films... It's a very bold premise that I can honestly get behind if done right(like you said.)

He also compares the Jedi to superheroes, because each member of the team(s) will have special powers that are unique to them and help balance the collective. But again, specific Jedi being recruited to a team due to the unique abilities they possess isn't a new concept at all. They did stuff like that in Legends, and they have previously done it in canon... This would just elevate the idea a bit. /shrug

...But I'm sure the anti-Disney folks will run with the "Avengers ripoff" comparison nonetheless. Yep. It's easier for them to troll just because they hate disney, then it is for them to know what they're actually talking about.

Darth Thor
It's not like Disney put out an official press release that directly compared Project Luminous to the Avengers.

To be fair though Disney would never officially admit that. Only an inside source could tell somebody thats what they have in mind.

But yeah if you take out the Avengers/superhero emulation it sounds fine in principle.

Even pulling a bit from the superhero genre is fine, as Star Wars has always pulled from different genres but made something unique to itself which inspires filmmaking in general.

Psychotron
Originally posted by ares834
**** Disney.

This.

Galan007
Originally posted by Darth Thor
To be fair though Disney would never officially admit that. Only an inside source could tell somebody thats what they have in mind.

But yeah if you take out the Avengers/superhero emulation it sounds fine in principle.

Even pulling a bit from the superhero genre is fine, as Star Wars has always pulled from different genres but made something unique to itself which inspires filmmaking in general. thumb up

If the leaks are legit and this really is where they're heading with Project Luminous, then it could be good IF(key word) done right... Really good, imo.

We'll see what happens, though. Disney is supposed to be making an official announcement about it sometime this month.

Darth Thor
^ StarWars.net is the source and is a fairly reliable one.

I also like the idea that the odd cameo from Yoda will be the only link to the PT/OT.

Will Force them to be creative for the next films.

Galan007
^ Most of the reliable sources are connecting "High Republic" to Project Luminous, so yeah, it seems pretty legit as of now.

Yoda is the only known/canon Jedi who would be alive in that period, so I'm sure he'll play some sort of role(possibly Yaddle as well, but I'm not sure when she was inducted into the Order.) And like you guys said: it is also possible that Maz could make an appearance, as she is older than even Yoda(and force-sensitive to boot.)

All the other Jedi involved will pretty much *have* to be new characters, which is great. thumb up

hutchy1345
I'm pretty excited for this I have to say. A good creative team behind it, a new period of time forcing creativity and preventing us being let down compared to legends content and having jedi with different abilities... Adds another dimension when you have jedi (like in that windu comic) that are really unique. All we need now is the announcement of a mix of Dave filoni, Jon favreau and Kevin Feige leading this next wave of star wars content.
Rumours of a game for 2021, I wonder what that will be?

Darth Thor
Originally posted by hutchy1345
a new period of time forcing creativity

Yep, and great thing is this Republic stands for the next 400years. So they cant have a Death Star just blow it up and create a new Rebellion/Resistance. Or have the Sith in charge again as they are staying hidden for the next 400years.

They would literally have no choice but to go in a new direction.

Galan007
True. thumb up

And setting it largely in the Unknown Regions gives them wiggle room to do pretty much anything they want with the story... Because even by the time of the PT, there was virtually no information about the Unknown Regions. It wasn't until Thrawn entered the fray that more info about it started surfacing.

hutchy1345
The whole dark side gods thing sounds quite insane.... I hope they don't make it too over the top though.
As for the sith, I can't see us getting too much about them even though it would be cool to see

Galan007
The leak mentions 3 different types of enemies.

The "Sith gods" are just one of them.

ares834
I'm not liking any comparisons to the MCU or Marvel in general. A big part of the problem I had with the ST is how they treated the Jedi and the Force and if they are basically super heroes in this series then they will once again misunderstand the Force/Jedi.

With that said, I will have to see how they do it. The idea of having some Jedi explore the Unknown Regions during a previously unexplored era does sound interesting. Keep Maz the **** away though.

StiltmanFTW
Keep Maz the **** away though.

I was about to say that...

Jmanghan
**** Disney.

Galan007
I'm not liking any comparisons to the MCU or Marvel in general. A big part of the problem I had with the ST is how they treated the Jedi and the Force and if they are basically super heroes in this series then they will once again misunderstand the Force/Jedi.

With that said, I will have to see how they do it. The idea of having some Jedi explore the Unknown Regions during a previously unexplored era does sound interesting. Keep Maz the **** away though. You're right. It's all about the execution.

It has great potential, but then so did the ST. /shrug

Darth Thor
The only reason the whole Avengers comparison worries me is because weve seen other studios try to copy Marvel and f*** up big time.

That said, Star Wars has always been inspired by different genres, so if a new Star Wars adds in a bit of the superhero genre, then theres nothing wrong with that.

StiltmanFTW
Hey, they have Feige on their side now, don't they? They should be fine with this approach.

It worries me for the other reason - they don't really need to do it.

They should just adapt some EU stories. SW Legacy, Dark Times, Kyle Katarn... hell, whatever they want, they can always modify it to match the rest of their new universe or even call it an "Elsewords/What if" stand-alone film, if they really want to.

I always loved EU. New canon is taking time to develop properly and it still relies on the old stories.

Darth Thor
^ As long as Feige is in charge and not Kennedy trying to be a Feige.

And theres no EU to draw from. Kennedy confirmed that!

StiltmanFTW
laughing out loud

Serious talk now. I heard it was actually Lucasfilm's / George's decision to "end" their canon before the Disney deal?

So Disney had to start from a scratch, as that was their agreement?

But then, they keep using stuff such as Force Heal, Kyber crystals, Thrawn, Naga Sadow and so on.

So how does it work, exactly?

Darth Thor
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
laughing out loud

Serious talk now. I heard it was actually Lucasfilm's / George's decision to "end" their canon before the Disney deal?

So Disney had to start from a scratch, as that was their agreement?

But then, they keep using stuff such as Force Heal, Kyber crystals, Thrawn, Naga Sadow and so on.

So how does it work, exactly?

No George only told them they Have to keep His Canon as Canon. His Canon being the films and TCW series Only.

He never said they cant use the old EU to make new stuff.

Its theirs now, they can do what they want with it.

StiltmanFTW
No George only told them they Have to keep His Canon as Canon. His Canon being the films and TCW series Only.

Ah. Okay.

He never said they cant use the old EU to make new stuff.

Its theirs now, they can do what they want with it.

Makes sense, they own everything, after all.

But whose decision it was to start a "Post-Crisis" era of Star Wars? Disney's and only Disney's?

Darth Thor
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Ah. Okay.

Makes sense, they own everything, after all.

But whose decision it was to start a "Post-Crisis" era of Star Wars? Disney's and only Disney's?

You mean to get rid of the old EU from canon? That was probably Disneys decision so that they were not tied down to the EU. But their press release at the time stated the directors and authors of canon are free to draw from the old EU.

So theres nothing stopping them doing a canon KOTOR tv series, a Darth Bane trilogy or a Force Unleashed movie.

StiltmanFTW
You mean to get rid of the old EU from canon?

Yes.

That was probably Disneys decision so that they were not tied down to the EU.

That was what I thought at first, but some disagreed.

But their press release at the time stated the directors and authors of canon are free to draw from the old EU.

thumb up

So theres nothing stopping them doing a canon KOTOR tv series, a Darth Bane trilogy or a Force Unleashed movie.

Or anything else, yes.

Zenwolf
You mean to get rid of the old EU from canon? That was probably Disneys decision so that they were not tied down to the EU. But their press release at the time stated the directors and authors of canon are free to draw from the old EU.

They really didn't have to get rid of it.

They could have easily just had it be a separate Universe and if writers wanted to write a novel or comic or other thing about it, then they could do so. This would probably make them even more of a profit honestly, because they would have both sides.

Tzeentch
That's what they did. The old EU exists under the "legends" brand. Go to any book store that sells Star Wars material and 90% of it will be old EU rebranded as legends, still for sale.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Tzeentch
That's what they did. The old EU exists under the "legends" brand. Go to any book store that sells Star Wars material and 90% of it will be old EU rebranded as legends, still for sale.

Right, but I mean, not still having old material already done and just resold. They could have still continued it, not completely stop it.

Darth Thor
Right, but I mean, not still having old material already done and just resold. They could have still continued it, not completely stop it.

Pretty sure they did for a short while.

But yeah I still want a Force Unleashed 3.

But to be fair, I like the idea that everything they do is canon now. The old comics/novels never really mattered which I hated.

Zenwolf
Pretty sure they did for a short while.

But yeah I still want a Force Unleashed 3.

Only Legends material I recall post 2014 is the Imperial Commander Handbook and the 108th Marvel comic which continued Valance's story.

...But yeesss....dangg it! I hate that cliffhanger with such a passion..

Darth Thor
Wasnt the last KOTOR game post Disneys new canon policy?

Zenwolf
Wasnt the last KOTOR game post Disneys new canon policy?

You mean TOR? No that released back in 2011.

Darth Thor
^ Ah okay.

Yeah youre right they should have carried that stuff on. Keep the fans happy and stop guys like Lighter demanding everyone boycotts Disney Lol

Besides its only more source material for them to draw from for canon. Like the MCU didnt ask Marvel to stop printing comics lol

In fact the comics keeps on giving new material for the movies to use.

Araan Eligis
TOR continues to get updated.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Araan Eligis
TOR continues to get updated.

Only cause BW's contract hasn't expired. Which I believe it ends in 2023.

Eli Vanto
These are, as of now, unconfirmed rumors, so keep that in mind while reading. That being said, this is supposedly the premise of Project Luminous...

"Supposedly, Disney is also feeling that its current path with movies has flaws, and has, therefore, started designing a huge project years ago, which would result in making the future of the Star Wars franchise similar to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Our informant said that the new, connected multiplatform story will be set 300-400 years BEFORE the Skywalker-saga. The plot would involve a group of Jedi setting out to explore the Unknown Regions of the Galaxy (Timothy Zahn's Outbound Flight might come into mind, which also deals with the Jedi exploring what lies outside the edges of the Galaxy). According to our informant, the Jedi would get involved in numerous adventures and conflicts with three different types of enemies, the darkest being ancient evils, Sith gods of some sort.

As far as we know, these stories would be separate, but also connected, similar to the MCU. The more one would see, the more it could be enjoyed, with the different plots culminating in the style of the Avengers movies. The main Jedi characters would also have different strengths and powers, similar to superheroes.

Although Project Luminous is said to be launched in 2020, our informant said that its first product will be a video game in 2021, but could provide no information about its content and its developers." So the Sith Gods and two additional types of enemies? I wonder if those will be the Chiss and Grysks? confused

Galan007
A few little tidbits from Soule:

https://i.imgur.com/NVLtQ2Y.jpg

Eli Vanto
SOOO cool that they all meet so frequently to discuss the new characters and what not. thumb upthumb up

hutchy1345
Wouldn't surprise me if they included a force dyad again - palpatine said it hadn't been seen for generations....

Darth Thor
^ Who knows how strong Ezra will be when Sabine and Ashoka eventually find him.

Darth Thor
^ That was meant for another thread.

Eli Vanto
Wouldn't surprise me if they included a force dyad again - palpatine said it hadn't been seen for generations.... Very possible. Might even be how they overcome the threats they face.

hutchy1345
Originally posted by Eli Vanto
Very possible. Might even be how they overcome the threats they face.

Would be interesting to see the idea expanded - as long as the two jedi involved are interesting lol.
Although with this idea of "superheroes" it sounds more like there will be a team of force users as the main cast with each varying abilities, rather than two main force sensitives as a dyad. But who knows.

Eli Vanto
Would be interesting to see the idea expanded - as long as the two jedi involved are interesting lol.
Although with this idea of "superheroes" it sounds more like there will be a team of force users as the main cast with each varying abilities, rather than two main force sensitives as a dyad. But who knows. Ya. Curious to see how it plays outthumb up

Galan007
Quick update...

Apparently the details surrounding this event will be officially revealed on 2/24, during some sort of big SW event/Q&A panel.

It is also unlikely that we'll be seeing any games/TV shows/movies tied-into this event, as it is now being described as a joint publishing effort -- so the story will probably just interconnect through various novels and comics.

Eli Vanto
Damn. i was hoping we'd get more info before then. mad

Darth Thor
Thats actually much faster than I was expecting.

Zentrex
I could wait, honestly. After choking on their vanity with the Sequel Trilogy, they should've learn to slow down, and it seems they have.

I really wish I was more excited for new releases. There's the new Vader comic in terms of what's coming recently, and then the new trilogy and Kenobi series on Disney +, though that's pro'lly 2 whole years away.

It's just that Disney's not releasing anything different from what we've seen before. If they did, that would blow my mind just like the old Legends installments did, and then I'd start getting excited. I'm just gonna hope this "Luminous" thing is what I've been looking for. Until then, Star Wars in moderation is the best Star Wars.

Galan007
Cover for one of the novels that will be part of this event:

http://i.imgur.com/UHLpTUul.jpg

*Slated for release on 8/25.

Galan007
A few possible connections involving the cover...

First off, I'm wondering if the female Jedi:
https://i.imgur.com/lnpLVL9.jpg

Is the same character depicted in the Holocron that one of Luke's students was studying in The Rise of Kylo Ren #3?:
https://i.imgur.com/qBqXVWo.jpg

Mind you, that appears to be the same Holocron that Luke found at the ancient Jedi outpost in issue #2:
https://i.imgur.com/BvOJzSd.jpg

And Lor San Tekka confirmed that the outpost was created during the High Republic era:
https://i.imgur.com/rG44bu0.jpg

I also have to wonder if the structure featured in the background:
https://i.imgur.com/0PY2Aaj.jpg

Is the "Starlight" that Grek referenced in Star Wars #2:
http://i.imgur.com/ZvS7B6yl.jpg

*Mind you, ALL of the above material is written by Soule as well.

Galan007
A few notes from the Q&A panel...

-The Jedi of the High Republic are essentially "Jedi Knights of the Round Table". Definitely some strong Arthurian vibes.
-The main villains are called the Nihil, and are described as "space Vikings".
-The High Republic is set 200 years before the prequels, in the "Golden Age" of the Jedi/Republic. "The Jedi as we've always wanted to see them."
-The story begins with some sort of disaster/calamity that pushes the Jedi into action.
-The event will take place across several different novels and comic series', and under several different publishers.

Zenwolf
I'm not exactly sure how to feel about a Knights of the Round Table thing for Star Wars. ...But ok I guess that's happening, at least it's something new anyway than bringing back old characters, which is what they should focus on doing moreso.

Anyway, it sounds interesting to be sure. ....Then there's the ST.

....I really can't believe this is what's what now, it's very strange.

Also that holocron is probably the Jedi yeah, if it's all written by the same guy and looking familiar.

Galan007
Lots of interesting concept art floating around...

http://i.imgur.com/3weql9el.jpg

Galan007
Covers of a few more stories:

http://i.imgur.com/go6zPwDl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jIH7Dsal.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xnq3Yi0l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DN1vWbil.jpg

Galan007
xCat5fXRyyU

Zenwolf
So just 200 years before TPM? Where the Republic and Jedi were at their height hm? Well let's just hope it's not all screwed up in the end. Color me curious.

Though now I'm wondering if only 200 years ago before TPM, they were at their height...then what about even before that? Cause the Republic has stood for a millennia according to TPM. Unless they are gonna be changing that too, but wouldn't be the first time I guess.

Tzeentch
I like everything that I've heard about this. I like the idea of Arthurian knights. I like that it's set only 200 years before the PT instead of thousands of years before it.

I never liked how most of the Old Republic stories took place 1000s of years before the prequels. What's the point in setting everything that far back when all the technology is all the same.

Total Warrior
I am very curious about it. Sounds like mass effect andromeda with Jedi

Zenwolf

Tzeentch
You say that, but the technology jumps absolutely massively between TPM and the end of RoS.

Darth Thor
I like everything that I've heard about this. I like the idea of Arthurian knights. I like that it's set only 200 years before the PT instead of thousands of years before it.

I never liked how most of the Old Republic stories took place 1000s of years before the prequels. What's the point in setting everything that far back when all the technology is all the same.

Yeah that was always dumb.

Total Warrior
^Yess, I am really hyped. Also lots of new Jedi from different species, I love it

ares834
Looks interesting. I like the designs.

So they can fight the Sith.

Eli Vanto
xCat5fXRyyU this sounds really good. Will definitely follow. thumb up

Galan007
I'm just glad that it will be all new characters(aside from guaranteed Yoda cameos, which I'm totally fine with), and all new stories/content in general.

It's about time.

Total Warrior
Yesss, I really wanna see these new Jedi in action

Galan007
So after reading a little bit more about this, it sounds like the books will all be written in such a way that you won't have to read each and every bit of material chronologically in order to understand the story -- evidently you'll be able to pick up anywhere and still be able to know what's going on. That's pretty cool if true.

I'm also hoping they follow through with this concept art:

Because I'm interested to see the darksaber and dual-bladed whitesaber Jedi in action... And the Loth Wolf.

Tzeentch
Looks interesting. I like the designs.

So they can fight the Sith. The Sith not being around for millennia is iself a EU invention isn't it?

Zenwolf
The Sith not being around for millennia is iself a EU invention isn't it?

It's from the movies. Or well I guess it's more implied with the Republic standing for a millennia.

StiltmanFTW
dual-bladed whitesaber

Rob Liefeld probably looks at it and feels proud.

Zenwolf

dual-bladed whitesaber Jedi

But....why?

StiltmanFTW
But....why?

Its owner is a woman.

https://tinyurl.com/svnsur7

One in the pink, one in the stink.

ares834
The Sith not being around for millennia is iself a EU invention isn't it?

In TPM, Ki-Adi-Mundi mentions the Sith have been extinct for a millennium. Although, admittedly, the EU didn't have to go so far back and TotJ came out before TPM.

Galan007
From Ultimate Star Wars:
https://i.imgur.com/z29lIvp.jpg
"Maul may be the first Sith to slay a Jedi in combat in more than 1,000 years..."

But if the crescendo of this story takes place in the Unknown Regions, and the Order never finds out exactly what happened, then the Sith could slaughter all the Jedi they want and no one would be the wiser. /shrug

OR they simply retcon the 1,000 years thing... OR the surviving Jedi keep it a secret as to not induce panic... OR they just put the enemies into some other faction of dark side users, and not proper "Sith"(which would technically still keep the Sith emergence timeline valid.) Etc.

Zentrex
But....why?
Yeah, I wouldn't let the lack of any practical application bother me. The very concept of a lightsaber is fairly impractical, especially if you can use the force.

And maybe it's there to increase the heat of the lightsaber, in case you're cutting through a door or something. Maybe you can turn one of them off at a time.

I love that poster, though, lots of nifty stuff. Crazy lightsaber designs, the most useless crossguard to date (on the "joust" looking lightsaber held by the twi'lek on the center left), a darksabre that's not 2-dimensional and has a twig for a handle, an umbaran jedi, a completely black themed jedi on the left, a white themed one on the right...

Total Warrior
So after reading a little bit more about this, it sounds like the books will all be written in such a way that you won't have to read each and every bit of material chronologically in order to understand the story -- evidently you'll be able to pick up anywhere and still be able to know what's going on. That's pretty cool if true.

Because I'm interested to see the darksaber and dual-bladed whitesaber Jedi in action... And the Loth Wolf. I'm going to use it as wallpaper for my pc, I like it so much

Darth Thor
From Ultimate Star Wars:
https://i.imgur.com/z29lIvp.jpg
"Maul may be the first Sith to slay a Jedi in combat in more than 1,000 years..."

But if the crescendo of this story takes place in the Unknown Regions, and the Order never finds out exactly what happened, then the Sith could slaughter all the Jedi they want and no one would be the wiser. /shrug

OR they simply retcon the 1,000 years thing... OR the surviving Jedi keep it a secret as to not induce panic... OR they just put the enemies into some other faction of dark side users, and not proper "Sith"(which would technically still keep the Sith emergence timeline valid.) Etc.

Yeah like Star Trek Discovery takes a lot of liberties with canon, but for the most part does attempt to explain the seeming contradictions.

Galan007
Originally posted by Zentrex
Yeah, I wouldn't let the lack of any practical application bother me. The very concept of a lightsaber is fairly impractical, especially if you can use the force.

And maybe it's there to increase the heat of the lightsaber, in case you're cutting through a door or something. Maybe you can turn one of them off at a time.

I love that poster, though, lots of nifty stuff. Crazy lightsaber designs, the most useless crossguard to date (on the "joust" looking lightsaber held by the twi'lek on the center left), a darksabre that's not 2-dimensional and has a twig for a handle, an umbaran jedi, a completely black themed jedi on the left, a white themed one on the right... https://i.imgur.com/GQ3gfVP.gif

Yeah like Star Trek Discovery takes a lot of liberties with canon, but for the most part does attempt to explain the seeming contradictions. thumb up

And Star Wars has already taken a LOT of liberties with canon as it is, so doing something like that with the High Republic isn't a stretch by any means.

Total Warrior

Because I'm interested to see the darksaber and dual-bladed whitesaber Jedi in action... And the Loth Wolf. I just noticed.. is the male human Jedi on the left (beside the wolf) a Kiffar like Vos? His tatooes on the face look similar to Quinlan's

Galan007
Good catch. thumb up

https://i.imgur.com/syn4OH4.jpg

Seems like a strong possibility to me.

Sheev
So after reading a little bit more about this, it sounds like the books will all be written in such a way that you won't have to read each and every bit of material chronologically in order to understand the story -- evidently you'll be able to pick up anywhere and still be able to know what's going on. That's pretty cool if true. Really hoping that is the case. This event sounds great and I want to read most of it, but I would also like it if I weren't completely lost if I miss a book.thumb up

Galan007
A Roundtable Discussion with the Creators of Star Wars: The High Republic

Zentrex
https://i.imgur.com/GQ3gfVP.gif
See, now I'm gonna be disappointed if that's not what that whitesaber actually does.

Total Warrior
If the novels are good, I would like a videogame set in the same era. Maybe similar to Mass Effect Andromeda. Well ME Andromed is generally considered the worst Mass effect, but the concept is more or less the same, we have these pioneers who explore the andromeda galaxy, deal with this evil alien species can visit new planets, gather info and so on. A Mass effect Andromeda, but set in the unknown regions, with Jedi, and without weird bug, could be gold imo

Galan007
100% thumb up

Based on what I've read, this could very well just be the initial phase of the event. It seems like the end goal is to incorporate the High Republic stuff into ALL media platforms.

Galan007
A few tidbits from a recent interview with Justina Ireland...

http://i.imgur.com/g0nh5Yrl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/b4EDyCVl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7uYVvDTl.jpg

Eli Vanto
Vernestra sounds pretty awesome honestly. 16 years old and already a Jedi knight..... in the peak of the Orders history. Very very cool. I expect to see great things from her.

Still not sure about he Nihil tho. I don't see how a group of presumably non force sensitive space pirates can possibly threaten the Jedi. Especially with how the Jedi are going to be written in this period.

ares834
Sounds pretty bland. Hopefully the earlier rumors about the villains are true.

Zentrex
Sounds pretty bland. Hopefully the earlier rumors about the villains are true.

Galan007
Still not sure about he Nihil tho. I don't see how a group of presumably non force sensitive space pirates can possibly threaten the Jedi. Especially with how the Jedi are going to be written in this period. I mean, the Separatists were also a massive threat to the Jedi, even without the likes of Dooku and Asajj in the picture. Same with the Grysks and Vader.

Point being: you don't have to be Force sensitive in order to challenge/threaten Jedi(assuming you have the right numbers, strategies, tech/equipment, etc.) Obviously these Nihil will be a threat as well, otherwise they wouldn't be the 'big bads' of this event.

Eli Vanto
Yeah I guess. I just hope there's more to them then the leaks have described though

Zentrex
The High Republic is supposed to be a time of "prosperity," right? Things should be better than they were in the Prequels?

So can these guys really be a threat? I mean, the prequels were supposedly the height of the Jedi in Legends, but they ended up going with the story that they were corrupted and had lost their way. It seems every time somebody tries to write a story in an era of "peace," the conflict they create for the story ends up making that era not so peaceful or happy after all.

I mean, at least I hope that they show that the Jedi Council was really competent in this era, somehow. Make it really obvious that the Jedi were the best of the best.

Thoughts?

Galan007
Yeah that seems to be the premise. The Jedi are supposed to be at their height here -- very Arthurian/Knights of the Round Table esque.

Zentrex
But then how are the Nihil "wreaking havok across the galaxy"? If they Jedi, the entrusted powers that be, are that benevolent and potent, then whence cometh the evil?

Also, are they going to explore the history of the Jedi? The Old Republic? I'm thinking about the following line:
"In her time period, of course they have the lore of the earlier Jedi, so she has that reference."

Galan007
One of the interviews described Jedi policing the Outer Rim in this period as "cowboys in the old west" or something along those lines... So I'm guessing the Jedi presence is extremely limited outside of the core worlds. The Nihil would likely have a lot of free reign there -- and like I mentioned earlier: if the Nihil have the right numbers, strategies, tech/equipment, etc., they could undoubtedly pose a considerable threat.

Yeah, I definitely think there will be references to far older Jedi lore here, as those principals seem to still be what they adhere to.

Zentrex
Hmm...guess that makes sense...

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ

Total Warrior
40.000? That's a lot of them, what the heck happened to most of them?

Zentrex
They died.

Total Warrior
If they die, they die

Galan007

ozz81

Galan007

Zentrex
Pretty sure it's going to be about a group of Jedi, including one "Vernestra" who is a 16 year old knight, trying to fend off the "Nihil," a group of pirates wreaking havoc throughout the Galaxy.

Of course, there's two comic series and three books, so it's entirely possible that there are other stories involved, especially if they are all self-contained like the rumors say.

My hopes for it are that it will elaborate extensively on the lore and history that we have in Canon, but I've had that expectation for nearly every work that Disney ever put out and most stories just shy away from expanding the lore. I miss Legends.

But I still have some hope, because this is supposed to be what "saves" Star Wars, so they may try to go in a new direction than all the previous published material and really go in depth with the lore. And preview images show a new darksaber, a dual-bladed whitesaber, some funky lookin' jedi, and seem to tie in with the Loth-wolves from Rebels.

I doubt they'd pass up an opportunity to show Yoda at this point in his life. Though we did see him in this era in "Yoda's Secret War" and he looks and acts pretty much the same, so it wouldn't be that exciting. Unless they show a new side to that character. Personally, I'd prefer if they left him out of this.

They might refrence the Ones of Mortis, but I don't see them having any more involvement than that. Then again, there's that Loth-Wolf, so maybe we'll see TWBW, and the Daughter?

hutchy1345
16-year-old jedi knight is young...

Hope they're not going to be absurdly powerful

Galan007
Yeah, that's years younger than even Anakin when he was Knighted.

Vernestra is also referred to as a "prodigy", so I imagine she'll be pretty haxx.

Total Warrior
Yeah, that's years younger than even Anakin when he was Knighted.

Vernestra is also referred to as a "prodigy", so I imagine she'll be pretty haxx. well tbf Anakin joined the order quite late, all things considered he became a knight in 10 years. Most jedi get to the temple when they are still babies or like 2-3 years old

Galan007
True.

But even high-level Jedi, who were inducted into the Order as babies(like Qui-Gon, Kenobi, and Dooku) weren't that young when they were Knighted... Even Dooku didn't become Yoda's Padawan until he was 16, for example.

So Vernestra must be very exceptional to be Knighted that young.

Galan007
"Readers will see a very wide variety of Jedi in this era," says Lucasfilm Publishing creative director Michael Siglain. "This is a hopeful, optimistic time, when the Jedi are good and noble, and we want to reflect that in their characters while still giving them enough depth and dimension so that their individual personalities and idiosyncrasies shine through. The Jedi Knights of the High Republic are both aspirational and inspirational. In short, they're the good guys"

While the Jedi are undoubtedly heroes in The High Republic, they promise to be varied, unique, and very 'human' -- no matter their species. "We've put a lot of time and effort into making our Jedi feel like real, rounded individuals," writer Cavan Scott, one of the architects of The High Republic, tells StarWars.com. "They are all different, approaching the Force in individual and unique ways and yet are united with a common goal. They serve not out of unwavering dogma, but a deep passion to protect light and life. And they're all at different stages in their individual journeys. Some have experience on their side, some have the exuberance of youth. Some are still finding their place in the Order while others step naturally into leadership roles. Some may not have chosen to work with the Jedi they've been posted alongside, but all are dedicated to be a guiding light for the galaxy. Individually they are strong, together they are invincible, but like the best heroes they each have lessons to learn and challenges to overcome. Exciting times lie ahead..."

http://i.imgur.com/rYq4xA9l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AbOJJahl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1cs78Jxl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Mm3Z76wl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/v7E2Mr9l.jpg

Zentrex
True.

But even high-level Jedi, who were inducted into the Order as babies(like Qui-Gon, Kenobi, and Dooku) weren't that young when they were Knighted... Even Dooku didn't become Yoda's Padawan until he was 16, for example.

So Vernestra must be very exceptional to be Knighted that young.
Well, those jedi got powerful by the time they became masters. I imagine all Jedi Knights are around the same level of power, since they get knighted as soon as they're ready, and then get better from there.

So Vern is likely not ridiculously powerful, yet.

Oh, and that's an exciting update! Can't wait to see these characters in action.
EDIT: Also, I just wanted to mention that I love their names. Just thought they were cool.

Total Warrior
Tbh I don't find any of their design particurarly unique, they look like the average jedi knight you see in the background

Total Warrior
However, that other wall paper that was posted a month ago or so had some interesting faces, like the Jedi weilding the dark sabre, or the one with that strange white lightsaber

quanchi112
Very exciting times indeed for the star wars fans. Disney makes everything better.

Galan007
Well, those jedi got powerful by the time they became masters. I imagine all Jedi Knights are around the same level of power, since they get knighted as soon as they're ready, and then get better from there.

So Vern is likely not ridiculously powerful, yet.

Oh, and that's an exciting update! Can't wait to see these characters in action.
EDIT: Also, I just wanted to mention that I love their names. Just thought they were cool. In Jedi Lost, Dooku was far and away above the other students, to the point where he could already best some of the Knights in general combat and Force mastery... But even Dooku was already 16 when he first became Yoda's Padawan, and he was eventually Knighted a few years later. So I really do expect Vernestra to be pretty exceptional if she is already a Knight at 16 years old(especially since this is supposed to be the Order's peak and whatnot.) Either way, I'm very interested to see her expanded on. thumb up

Originally posted by Total Warrior
Tbh I don't find any of their design particurarly unique, they look like the average jedi knight you see in the background Those are just some of the front-runners. I'm sure many other Jedi will be featured in this(hopefully some of those more exotic looking ones from the promo art, like you said.)

Originally posted by quanchi112
Very exciting times indeed for the star wars fans. Disney makes everything better. quan? You're alive!?

I figured RoS would have destroyed you beyond repair. stick out tongue

quanchi112
In Jedi Lost, Dooku was far and away above the other students, to the point where he could already best some of the Knights in general combat and Force mastery... But even he was 16 when he first became a Padawan, and he was eventually Knighted a few years later. So I really do expect Vernestra to be pretty exceptional if she is already a Knight at 16 years old(especially since this is supposed to be the Order's peak and whatnot.) Either way, I'm very interested to see her expanded on. thumb up

Those are just some of the front-runners. I'm sure many other Jedi will be featured in this(hopefully some of those more exotic looking ones from the promo art, like you said.)

quan? You're alive!?

I figured RoS would have destroyed you beyond repair. stick out tongue First two times I saw it nearly did but the third time after I accepted it Kylo Ren emerged as my Star Wars man crush. Funny how things ended up. I am in a Star Wars mood too so expect me around for the time being.

quanchi112
That being said I have watched the high republic trailer multiple times and really hope this era gets the big screen treatment. I want Darth Plagueis. That took Snoke they owe me that much.

Galan007
If this event ends up being a success(and I hope it does), then I'm sure we'll see it to expand into other forms of media. iirc, the team heading this up already said that was their goal.

Zentrex
my Star Wars man crush.

Quan? Is it really you? You seem...different.

quanchi112

Quan? Is it really you? You seem...different. I evolve from time to time.

quanchi112
If this event ends up being a success(and I hope it does), then I'm sure we'll see it to expand into other forms of media. iirc, the team heading this up already said that was their goal. I just hope it sees the light of day(films). They cancel lots of films despite announcements so I do not have trust in Kennedys leadership. Would love to see the Russos direct a Star Wars film especially in this era. Nihil, Sith houses, Sith empire, possibly Darth plagueis makes me excited for the possibilities.

carthage

quanchi112

Zentrex
I evolve from time to time.

without a doubt.

Also, why do you guys want more films? What good could they possibly provide?

Galan007
I'd rather not see more films... At least not anytime soon. I'm perfectly fine with comics, novels, and the occasional TV show. I tend to enjoy those more anyway.

Although I do believe that Disney still has plans to produce another trilogy(set in an unknown time period) at some point in the next few years.

Zentrex
Oh, for sure. There's a Dan Weiss and David Benioff trilogy, a Rian Johnson Trilogy, and an Ahsoka film by Kevin Feige. Don't know which one's coming out first but the next film is in 2022.

Eli Vanto
"Readers will see a very wide variety of Jedi in this era," says Lucasfilm Publishing creative director Michael Siglain. "This is a hopeful, optimistic time, when the Jedi are good and noble, and we want to reflect that in their characters while still giving them enough depth and dimension so that their individual personalities and idiosyncrasies shine through. The Jedi Knights of the High Republic are both aspirational and inspirational. In short, they're the good guys"

While the Jedi are undoubtedly heroes in The High Republic, they promise to be varied, unique, and very 'human' -- no matter their species. "We've put a lot of time and effort into making our Jedi feel like real, rounded individuals," writer Cavan Scott, one of the architects of The High Republic, tells StarWars.com. "They are all different, approaching the Force in individual and unique ways and yet are united with a common goal. They serve not out of unwavering dogma, but a deep passion to protect light and life. And they're all at different stages in their individual journeys. Some have experience on their side, some have the exuberance of youth. Some are still finding their place in the Order while others step naturally into leadership roles. Some may not have chosen to work with the Jedi they've been posted alongside, but all are dedicated to be a guiding light for the galaxy. Individually they are strong, together they are invincible, but like the best heroes they each have lessons to learn and challenges to overcome. Exciting times lie ahead..."

http://i.imgur.com/rYq4xA9l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AbOJJahl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1cs78Jxl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Mm3Z76wl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/v7E2Mr9l.jpg I want to learn more about Loden Greatstorm. His name alone sounds badass.

Galan007
Thanks to general marketplace delays, this event has been postponed until January 2021:

http://i.imgur.com/0f5WsvNh.jpg

Very disappointing.

juggernaut74
I thought they were going back farther than that.

Yoda will be in his 600's during this.

Eli Vanto
Well that ****ing sucks. Was the one thing I was still looking forward to. sad

NewGuy01
Originally posted by juggernaut74

Yoda will be in his 600's during this.

It's a wise move.

Galan007
Originally posted by juggernaut74

Yoda will be in his 600's during this. 200 years before the PT has always been the timeline.

Well that ****ing sucks. Was the one thing I was still looking forward to. sad Same.

I understand why they're delaying this(it's actually a good business move), but it is still disappointing that we have to wait until next year for the launch.

Galan007
Charles Soule reveals what the "galaxy wide disaster" that kickstarts this event is:

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>