Resident Evil 4 Remake

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arachnid1
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/resident-evil-4-remake/

Take this as a rumor until Capcom themselves confirm it. I see people calling VGC reliable as far as leaks go, but I'm not aware of them.

To this day, RE4 is my favorite game of all time. I'll be there day one for the collectors edition. I'm also one of those people who thinks the original RE4 was a "lightning in a bottle" kind of situation. I'm not sure they could recreate the same pacing and magic without doing a 1:1 remake (which I don't want since I always can and always do replay the OG game; I actually want them to make it more of a horror focus and maybe take the series in a new direction tonally consistent with recent games).

https://media.giphy.com/media/cB1xhokA3h33i/giphy.gif

cdtm
Thought it was ok back in the day.

I had way more fun with God Hand then RE4, which came out around the same time.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Arachnid1
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/resident-evil-4-remake/

Take this as a rumor until Capcom themselves confirm it. I see people calling VGC reliable as far as leaks go, but I'm not aware of them.

To this day, RE4 is my favorite game of all time. I'll be there day one for the collectors edition. I'm also one of those people who thinks the original RE4 was a "lightning in a bottle" kind of situation. I'm not sure they could recreate the same pacing and magic without doing a 1:1 remake (which I don't want since I always can and always do replay the OG game; I actually want them to make it more of a horror focus and maybe take the series in a new direction tonally consistent with recent games).

https://media.giphy.com/media/cB1xhokA3h33i/giphy.gif

If this is true, it will be a 1:1 remake.

And that's OK. I would be happy with a complete graphic overhaul. New 4K textures with HDR and ray tracing would make this already incredible game..even better.

Adam Grimes
I hope it doesn't happen.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Smasandian
If this is true, it will be a 1:1 remake.

And that's OK. I would be happy with a complete graphic overhaul. New 4K textures with HDR and ray tracing would make this already incredible game..even better. It seems like it should be true. They claim their multiple sources are all from the development team. Unless the dude who wrote the article is straight up lying, this is as close to a confirmation as we'll get until Capcom announces it.

I wouldn't mind a 1:1 graphical update with some quality of life improvements (we'll have to ditch stationary shooting which means overhauling combat aggressiveness of enemies), but IMO they should just use this as a chance to reboot the series action slant that RE4 caused. I think making the main characters more grounded is the only way to bring them back as protagonists in future horror installments. That way, they can tie in RE7 and on with the new direction and just retcon 5 and 6 to give us a proper 'End of Umbrella' game instead of doing that offscreen before RE4.

I'd also like them to expand the castle with a more horror oriented approach. A castle ruled by a cult has some pretty fantastic horror potential that OGRE4 never capitalized on. Then again, I'm conflicted with the idea because it means either cutting out or completely reworking Salazar. IMO he was the best villain in the original game (actually one of my favorite villains in the series, just behind Wesker; fantastic dynamic with Leon), but there is no denying his campy ridiculousness.

I'd also love an expanded village section. It is, IMO, one of the most atmospheric settings in the entire series so I'd like to spend more time in it. On the other hand, the island is IMO one of the worst settings in the series and would benefit from a complete rework or setting change. Ashley's character could also use a rework.

Smasandian
RE4 remake will happen. If they have done RE2 and RE3, there is no way Capcom doesn't do it in the next 10 years. It's big business.

RE7 was the reboot. It's horror slanted and doesn't feature a ton of action. In fact, if you turn RE7 into a 3rd person viewpoint, it's fairly similar to Resident Evil games prior to RE4.

Trocity
Just beat the game for the umpteenth time late last year. Bought the 10 or 15 dollar one off the PlayStation store. My favourite RE game by far, and one of my favourite games ever.

Way better than a lot of the games that were out around the same time, games like God Hand, etc.

Smasandian
I was going to play it again but Capcom does not have backward compatibility for the Xbox 360 version. I'm not paying mid 20's for the Xbox One version...when there is most likely a remake coming down the pipeline.

cdtm
I was going to play it again but Capcom does not have backward compatibility for the Xbox 360 version. I'm not paying mid 20's for the Xbox One version...when there is most likely a remake coming down the pipeline.

Yeah that would be stupid.

I guess they learned their lesson when GTA San Andreas had backwards compatibility beside a bad remake.

Ridley_Prime
I wouldn't mind a 1:1 graphical update with some quality of life improvements (we'll have to ditch stationary shooting which means overhauling combat aggressiveness of enemies), but IMO they should just use this as a chance to reboot the series action slant that RE4 caused. I think making the main characters more grounded is the only way to bring them back as protagonists in future horror installments. That way, they can tie in RE7 and on with the new direction and just retcon 5 and 6 to give us a proper 'End of Umbrella' game instead of doing that offscreen before RE4.
RE5 was way too successful for them to consider retconning, despite how polarized it may have been following 4. I'd argue there's more interesting potential in remaking it than 4 even. i.e. Have an RE5make be more or less the original vision far as the campaign with solo Chris. You can still have the mercenaries and other modes for co-op and stuff but just have the campaign be what it was originally supposed to.

I'll give you that on 6 though. It didn't leave behind much a dent or anything despite having some cool ideas here and there, so I'd be fine with it going if it were to come to that.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by cdtm
Thought it was ok back in the day.

I had way more fun with God Hand then RE4, which came out around the same time. Both are great games.

Ridley_Prime
Watch them remove all the "non realistic" stuff for an RE4make; no merchant, and all of the classic remarks Leon makes will simply be replaced with repeated "Shit!" and f-bombs.

Nemesis X
I dunno if RE4 needs a full fledge remake like 2 and 3 got. I thought it was perfect the way it was and say what some will about it's action, the horror helped even it out IMO. Call me if they revive that Hook Man prototype though. Then we can talk.

It shouldn't go without saying too that with how everything in order they kept it so far, remaking RE from 1-3 that they snub Code Veronica which came out before 4. What the frig, Capcom? lol

Kazenji
Yeah, RE4 doesn't need a remake maybe more of a remaster at most

now Code Veronica needs more the remake treatment.

ArtificialGlory
Exactly, Code Veronica needs a remake, not RE4.

Smasandian
Doesn't matter if its it needs a remake...its a question how much money Capcom would make doing so...and they will make a ton.

Ridley_Prime
Capitalism 101 talk aside, other games in the series like Code Veronica do actually need a modern touch more than RE4. That much is indisputable. If CV still gets its due later, I can be more forgiving of an RE4make existing, but still.

Adam Grimes
RE4 sucks.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Capitalism 101 talk aside, other games in the series like Code Veronica do actually need a modern touch more than RE4. That much is indisputable. If CV still gets its due later, I can be more forgiving of an RE4make existing, but still.

I assume they are going to do all of the pre-360/PS3 area games. Or at least until 1 does not become profitable.

I would think they would do RE4...if it does well..do Code Veronica after that. I am not sure about Zero...

When I think about it...it would be neat if Code Veronica gets remade because I never got a chance to play it. I could still wait for RE4.

Adam Grimes
I hope Code Veronica gets done first.

Ridley_Prime
I assume they are going to do all of the pre-360/PS3 area games. Or at least until 1 does not become profitable.

I would think they would do RE4...if it does well..do Code Veronica after that. I am not sure about Zero...

When I think about it...it would be neat if Code Veronica gets remade because I never got a chance to play it. I could still wait for RE4.
Aye.

There is always eventually remaking RE5 too with the original vision for the campaign like I said. Is there any reason anyone would not want to see that sometime after an RE4make? Considering all the scrapped concepts that made 5 look very promising before the behind the scene changes that led to the co-op and stuff (you can still have that for things like mercenaries though).

Smasandian
RE5 had its issues but I recently played it with a friend and it was fun.
The first half of it was pretty good but once the it started to become a standard action shooter..than it became less than great.

I don't see them every redoing that game.

And RE6, when I played it for the first time, I enjoyed it. After revisiting it...well..I can only play Leon's campaign.

Impediment
RE2 Remake was good.

RE3 Remake was decent, but lacking.

RE4 is one of the greatest video games ever made, even if Saddler was a weak AF final boss.

A remake of this game would have to be 100% from the ground up with full use of all potential.

Ridley_Prime
RE5 had its issues but I recently played it with a friend and it was fun.
The first half of it was pretty good but once the it started to become a standard action shooter..than it became less than great.

I don't see them every redoing that game.

And RE6, when I played it for the first time, I enjoyed it. After revisiting it...well..I can only play Leon's campaign.
I mean the game industry's already been heavily reliant on remakes as of late, and if we're entering an era of remakes that are not really warranted but will happen anyway because they know it'll make money and diehard fans of the original will eat them up, then it makes sense to follow through doing one with RE5 sometime after 4 with how successful it was also, especially with all the untapped potential that 5 had.

Fair enough on RE6 though. I don't really see how they could improve or redeem that game with a remake unless they just straight up retconned/rebooted it.

-Pr-
My issues with RE4 were almost all related to the story/design choices, but the "tank" controls? Yeah, I'd be perfectly fine with those being updated.

Though I think the combat would have to be reworked. RE4 had proper hitbox values and such. The two remakes thus far have been kind of wonky that way.

Kazenji
Tank controls for the 4th game?...They didn't feel like those to me when i was playing it

the original RE1 & 2 had tank controls but the 4th didn't feel like that at all.

Smasandian
Yeah, everything would have to be reworked..it might be better but the game was designed for your character to be still while shooting.

Perfectly honest, a graphic update would be more than OK for me....as long as its not full price...

Adam Grimes
Originally posted by Kazenji
Tank controls for the 4th game?...They didn't feel like those to me when i was playing it

the original RE1 & 2 had tank controls but the 4th didn't feel like that at all. Well, you should look up what tank controls are in the first place then.

RadZoa
Not sure what they can improve on, RE4 was already perfection but we shall see, I am looking forward to it to wipe the taste of RE3 out of my mouth

cdtm
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Well, you should look up what tank controls are in the first place then.

Even tanks have better controls then RE4 these days.

Dead Rising 1 has similad controls, which can make navigating some hoards and psychopath battles a chore.

Nemesis X
Reminder it's the RE3 team making this according to those rumors and not RE2 or 7's so if they want to make this remake a more scary version of RE4, ya better hope they brush up well on their horror considering Jill's latest adventure they've done was very action packed.

Ridley_Prime
Since it is the same team according to the rumor, I would be just as concerned (if not more) about how much cut content there would likely be. The original RE3 was already kinda in need of more content compared to its two predecessors, but the remake made it have even less (at least at launch). Whose to say they wont do the same with an RE4make, while the rest of the development goes to some online multiplayer mode or something?

Kazenji
Well, you should look up what tank controls are in the first place then.

Which i do know what they are, smartass

thats why i just mentioned RE 1 & 2.... roll eyes (sarcastic)

cdtm
That's not tank controls.

Smasandian
RE1 and RE2 doesn't have tank controls?

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Reminder it's the RE3 team making this according to those rumors and not RE2 or 7's so if they want to make this remake a more scary version of RE4, ya better hope they brush up well on their horror considering Jill's latest adventure they've done was very action packed. That isn't entirely accurate. They were a support team (who was only there in the beginning of RE3s development before they switched gears to their new project; this part is in paranthesis because it's a rumor/report from a leaker). They weren't the main team (it was developed in-house by Capcom with multiple other teams lending support).

Another interesting tidbit is that Capcom originally approached Mikami to be founder of M-Two (the name of the company refers to him and Minami is as co-founders) which he turned down due to Ghostwire commitments :/. I remember hearing about that some time ago. It makes sense in hindsight since M-Two has apparently been preparing for RE4s development since 2018. Mikami coming back would have been fantastic.

Ridley_Prime
IcF5W5LoW70

I agree with this video knowing full well that a remake will most likely happen, but it's interesting seeing how divided the internet's been on this as a whole. It's reflected in different video reactions ("remake yes", "don't remake it/don't need it"wink and other communities and social media. Nearly everyone's split on it, and for good reason I guess.

Smasandian
Why does it matter if the remake RE4. It doesn't tarnish the original.

-Pr-

the original RE1 & 2 had tank controls but the 4th didn't feel like that at all.

If I move the left stick left and right and he turns rather than strafes, and if when i pull back (without aiming) he walks back instead of turning and running? I consider that tank controls.

A different camera angle doesn't change that for me.

Adam Grimes
Which i do know what they are, smartass

thats why i just mentioned RE 1 & 2.... roll eyes (sarcastic) No, you didn't know what it was. Now you probably do but for some reason are doubling down on the wrong concept lol.

Adam Grimes
Why does it matter if the remake RE4. It doesn't tarnish the original. I mean, I don't care if they remake that game or not. I just think Code Veronica's must come first.

-Pr-
Yeah. CVX needs it more tbh.

Ridley_Prime
Ecgdwhc8gkw

Ridley_Prime
Not that he would've been picked to be Leon in some cashgrab remake of 4, but R.I.P. Paul Haddad, the voice of the original RE2.

Kazenji
Oh the video is about the original RE 2 Leon voice actor, It's coming up private on my end.

Arachnid1
RIP sad

The dude was still young too.

Nemesis X
All it took was screwing RE3 over for this remake to happen sooner.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-05-15-capcom-changed-nemesis-for-the-resident-evil-3-remake-to-reference-resident-evil-4

It's one thing to reference Las Plagas, it's another when you retcon Neme's origin so he's connected being an artificial version to promo your next game! They're not even hiding it they rushed on purpose!

Arachnid1
It's no big deal IMO. The nemesis parasite being derived from las plagas has been a popular fan theory since RE4 came out. I actually like it. It ties RE4 and the whole plagas incident into the prior games a bit more firmly. Plus, it's not like RE lore was ever anything the devs gave any proper thought to.

On the other hand, it's kind of annoying that Umbrella has to be a part of every little biohazard in the RE world. I did actually kind of enjoy RE4 being its own separate incident.

Smasandian
I agree. I find RE "lore" and overall storyline haphazardly put together over the course of the games.

I always find games from around the PS1 era had a shoehorned overall storyline. I find the same thing with Metal Gear Solid franchise.

Ridley_Prime
Fair point in that the lore was never that deep, but as aforementioned, this retcon basically shows they weren't even hiding that they rushed the RE3 remake to start getting the RE4 one out sooner, so basically just see it as "Here's a sneak peek of the las plaga which you should anticipate next, because to hell with focusing on Jill and the Nemesis' game in making it as good as could be".

We waited well over a decade for the RE2make it happen, and it was more or less worth the wait. So you would think that kind of care, time, and passion would've been put into the RE3make, even with the same engine and some assets used as the RE2 one, but alas. It coming out only a year later after RE2 should've been taken as a hint as to how rushed and unpolished it was gonna be. RE2make even brought back the little stuff like tofu mode, while RE3make couldn't even bring back the mercenaries, RE3 of which was the first game to have that popular mode. The Resistance was an interesting concept, but it's no substitute for what else we could've had.

The issue overall is how much the RE3make got shafted so they could sooner move on to the RE4 one, leaving us with only like half a game for 3. We would've eventually gotten the RE4make regardless from the looks of it, but hope it was worth screwing RE3 over for.

Smasandian
I'm not sure I understand why retconning Nemesis equals rushed RE3 remake.
Maybe I am missing something.

If it was a rush job, wouldn't it be the other way around? Making no changes at all?

This isn't to say RE3 remakes was not rushed, it probably was but I do not understand the connection between RE4 remake and this.

Ridley_Prime
It was rushed because they knew the RE4make that was coming up next (and to be done by the same team no less according to the rumor) would most likely make more money than 3 no matter what content they did or didn't include with the RE3make, so they rushed 3 in order to quickly move on to 4. Greed basically resulted in a half-assed product with the RE3make.

That's my hunch for now anyway.

-Pr-
It was a rushed job that was also outsourced to a team that didn't make RE2R, iirc.

I don't mind lore changes as long as they make sense, and this one makes sense imo. Just kinda feel like 3 is being treated like the red-headed stepchild a bit.

Kazenji
I heard that about Nemesis and the Las Plagas theory, Stupid to do it anyway as RE 4 is set 4 years after the events of RE 3 and Wesker didn't even know anything about the parasite.

Nemesis X
I'm not sure I understand why retconning Nemesis equals rushed RE3 remake.
Maybe I am missing something.

If it was a rush job, wouldn't it be the other way around? Making no changes at all?

This isn't to say RE3 remakes was not rushed, it probably was but I do not understand the connection between RE4 remake and this.

Because they didn't do much with 3's campaign yet had time to say you should look forward to the next game, here's a sample Plaga for you to play with.

And rushed it was. Were the RE3 team anywhere remotely faithful, they wouldn't cut the choice mechanic aka Live Selection, the alternate areas, the clock tower, the park, the Gravedigger boss, an encounter with Nemesis as Carlos, Barry Burton's cameo, Nemesis killing Brad which was one of Resident Evil's most iconic moments introducing the big lug, or actually making the game scary.

I heard that about Nemesis and the Las Plagas theory, Stupid to do it anyway as RE 4 is set 4 years after the events of RE 3 and Wesker didn't even know anything about the parasite.

Also if Umbrella knew the parasite's existence, how is it they never tried taking it from Saddler sooner? I'd say they have more than enough resources to get it done.

Kazenji
If Capcom wants to retcon RE storylines, They should Retcon RE 6 out of existence.

Ridley_Prime
It actually hit me recently. RE6 hits kinda close to home now when we have a virus IRL that came from China. That is where the C-virus in 6 originated right? Cant remember now, but a good chunk of the game took place in China regardless, so...

Smasandian
It was rushed because they knew the RE4make that was coming up next (and to be done by the same team no less according to the rumor) would most likely make more money than 3 no matter what content they did or didn't include with the RE3make, so they rushed 3 in order to quickly move on to 4. Greed basically resulted in a half-assed product with the RE3make.

That's my hunch for now anyway.

For sure, it seemed rushed. I remember when it was announced it was being released soon...it was surprising.

I just see the retcon as an honest attempt to bridge the series together in a better way.

Is it the same team making RE4? Or is it the RE2 team?

Smasandian
It actually hit me recently. RE6 hits kinda close to home now when we have a virus IRL that came from China. That is where the C-virus in 6 originated right? Cant remember now, but a good chunk of the game took place in China regardless, so...

Southern China is also where SARs originated. A much more deadlier disease than COVID-19 but less transmittable.

Considering I lived near Toronto when the outbreak hit, it was scary but I was young so I didn't really understand it.

Kazenji

I just see the retcon as an honest attempt to bridge the series together in a better way.

Yeah this attempt to bridge RE 2/3 with RE 4 makes so much sense.... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Jmanghan
RIP Paul Haddad..

Jmanghan
I picked up the original game again, question... How hard does the game become after you rescue Ashley? Because I've heard some horror stories.

Smasandian
It's not that hard.

I find the hardest part of that game to be the first few hours when you weapons are not upgraded.

I usually upgrade the first handgun, shotgun and rifle completely...and then don't bother with other handguns until the Re9. Don't touch the riot gun and wait until the Striker.

StyleTime
It's been a while since I played RE4, but the thing about Ashely is moreso just making sure she's safe. That might cause some problems sometimes. You can usually make her hide though.

But RE4 also has a hidden dynamic difficulty, so the game responds differently if it thinks you're performing too well or too poorly.

Jmanghan
Beat the game, I'm a bit annoyed lore-wise now though: There should be no way Chris should have been able to fight on par with Leon in RE6, the dude fought evenly with Krauser and is able to fight on par with him, Krauser casually avoiding bullets in the same goddamn way Wesker does.

I'm assuming it was just PIS, because according to RE4 alone, Leon should stomp him into the ground without breaking a sweat. Chris is stronger (I guess?...), but Leon beats him out by a l-o-t in every other category.

Smasandian
But doesn't Chris beat Wesker himself in RE5?

Jmanghan
But doesn't Chris beat Wesker himself in RE5? IIRC he had tons of help and explosives, on the other hand, the mutated Krauser ambushed Leon tons of times and had drones that had guns attached to them, and he still kicked his ass in close-quarters combat through-out the fight.

Even when Krauser uses his crazy blurred speed to try to attack Leon, he dodges it casually.

Smasandian
Hahaha. This is a silly conversation.

Arachnid1
It's a video game message board. Not that silly tbh

Leon's highs are far beyond Chris' (he's a ton more skilled), but his lows are also reeeaaaally low. Remember Leon being nearly killed by the Chief almost instantly every time they encountered eachother? The first time Leon fought the dude, Mendez casually KOed him within seconds. The second time they fought, Mendez was strangling him to death but decided to just let him go since Leon had the parasite in him. The third time the fought (immediately after that), the Chief again had Leon dead to rights but Leon got saved by Ada. The fourth time they fought (the final time), the Chief again had Leon completely helpless as he strangled him, but for some reason decided to toss Leon across the room (CIS) to start a boss fight.

I agree with RE4 Leon beating RE5 Chris in a fight if they have their full arsenals and encounter each other a fair environment. I think Leon would easily take him in a knife fight too. In a H2H fight though, Chris would win without much trouble. The dudes damage soak is off the charts (the beating he took from Wesker), and he's tons stronger.

Smasandian
It's silly because it is a videogame and all these encounters are based on developers trying to make a fun boss fight.

Resident Evil main antagonist is Albert Wesker and Chris beats him.

Ridley_Prime
Or when pre-mutated Krauser beat Leon in a knife fight, who had to be saved by Ada... Also, Wesker > Krauser. Leon would win in a knife fight, but IDK about a gun fight; Chris is an ex marksman. Nonetheless, the RE6 H2H brawl they had was accurate, where Chris landed more hits on Leon, while Leon had to fight defensively.

Smasandian
We are all forgetting when Chris punched a boulder that probably weighed 10 tons.
Into an active volcano...while being chased by a mutated Wesker

Arachnid1
People arguing who would win in a fight between two video game characters on a video game forum isn't really all that crazy. It's just fun speculation. We even have a video game versus forum and a movie versus forum. Both Leon and Chris have even popped up on both. You take their specific feats and compare them.

Leon has just been more consistently impressive.

Jmanghan
We are all forgetting when Chris punched a boulder that probably weighed 10 tons.
Into an active volcano...while being chased by a mutated Wesker Yes, it's very impressive, but speed and skill wise, Leon is wayyyy ahead of him.

Jmanghan
It's a video game message board. Not that silly tbh

Leon's highs are far beyond Chris' (he's a ton more skilled), but his lows are also reeeaaaally low. Remember Leon being nearly killed by the Chief almost instantly every time they encountered eachother? The first time Leon fought the dude, Mendez casually KOed him within seconds. The second time they fought, Mendez was strangling him to death but decided to just let him go since Leon had the parasite in him. The third time the fought (immediately after that), the Chief again had Leon dead to rights but Leon got saved by Ada. The fourth time they fought (the final time), the Chief again had Leon completely helpless as he strangled him, but for some reason decided to toss Leon across the room (CIS) to start a boss fight.

I agree with RE4 Leon beating RE5 Chris in a fight if they have their full arsenals and encounter each other a fair environment. I think Leon would easily take him in a knife fight too. In a H2H fight though, Chris would win without much trouble. The dudes damage soak is off the charts (the beating he took from Wesker), and he's tons stronger.

I feel like Leon could have disarmed Krauser btw if Ada hadn't come along.

Leon's damage soak is insane too, but honestly Krauser is a way more impressive combatant, and most likely WAY stronger then Chris is because of his mutations, but Leon was still able to tangle with him and match him in strength.

He's much stronger then Leon yes, but not enough to the point where it's Gorilla vs Human level, and even if so, Leon's done stuff like this:
https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/original/11113/111132618/3918283-http___makeagif.com__media_6-25-2014_pa4s0p.gif

I'm pretty sure he's close to Chris level in strength and way above him in skill and speed. Sure, Krauser isn't as good as Wesker persay, but he's undeniably a Wesker-level opponent, you literally watch him casually dodge point-blank gunfire. The point is Leon was able to fight him in close quarters combat and still fight on par with him, all the while Leon was completely disadvantaged in the main boss fight, with Krauser ambushing him at every turn, using drones that were explosive, and full-auto weapons, while using flash grenades, guns, his knife, and his mutation abilities through-out the fight.

Yet, Leon dodges and at some point physically kicks him backwards in some of the QTE's.

Whereas even with weapons and back-up, Chris failed a bunch of times to reasonably take on Wesker while Wesker was TOYING WITH HIM, that's the big kicker, Wesker toyed with Chris in every. single. fight they had except for the very last one.

Also, be ****ing real, can you see Leon struggling here:
-GpXUrmSbkY

They're fighting like complete amateurs in comparison, Arias turns into a ****ing mutant and Leon axe kicks him in the head and almost beats him later on.

Chris is stronger, cool, awesome, he took down wesker with a grenade launcher, awesome, but he's not beating Leon in H2H, realistically Leon should have been able to take him easier then Jill did.

The best argument you could make is that Chris and Leon knew each other's fighting styles somehow, but as far as a random fight? Yeah no.

I realize this should be in a versus thread (which I might make) but I'm just appalled how humans in general think Chris could reasonably stand with Leon for more then 10 seconds without getting all his bones broken and getting his face bashed in with kicks.

Adam Grimes
Shut the phuck up, jman. Chris one-shots him.

Jmanghan
Shut the phuck up, jman. Chris one-shots him. Stop saying "phuck" all the time and I'll consider it.

Chris sucks at fighting.

Adam Grimes
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Stop saying "phuck" all the time and I'll consider it.

Chris sucks at fighting. He still phucks Leon up. thumb up

Ridley_Prime
How were Chris and Glenn Arias fighting like amateurs there? Yes, Leon very well could've struggled against pre-mutated Glenn just as he did with pre-mutated Krauser. Glenn was not without skill, but once someone's mutated, they just become a big easy target for any experienced RE survivor as history of the series has shown.

The best argument one can make is what's actually canon, and that is their H2H fight where Chris landed more hits on Leon than vice-versa. Also of him note breaking free of Leon's grab and throwing him.

tUfwKspEbZU

What happened on screen > your opinion. smile

Jmanghan
How were Chris and Glenn Arias fighting like amateurs there? Yes, Leon very well could've struggled against pre-mutated Glenn just as he did with pre-mutated Krauser. Glenn was not without skill, but once someone's mutated, they just become a big easy target for any experienced RE survivor as history of the series has shown.

The best argument one can make is what's actually canon, and that is their H2H fight where Chris landed more hits on Leon than vice-versa. Also of him note breaking free of Leon's grab and throwing him.

tUfwKspEbZU

What happened on screen > your opinion. smile I'm not confident that Leon would have struggled slightly against Glenn Arias.

Also, Chris gets his ass kicked all the time, not just by Wesker a ton of times through-out the series, he got his ass beat by Jill more than once IIRC, he lost to Glenn Arias there.

If you watch Leon or Ada's fight against Svetlana they just seem like they're on a completely different level compared to Chris and Glenn:
9IBcyeIYvdQ

There was no "pre-mutated Krauser", the knife fight was Krauser using his enhanced stats. I don't buy that he absolutely required Ada's help there, btw, he was doing just fine beforehand.

Also, yes, I realize that happens in RE6, my argument was that it was ridiculous that Chris could keep up with Leon. Like it or not Leon has just been far ahead of him skill-wise. By RE4 I'd bet hundreds of dollars, had Wesker been a boss, Leon would have been able to keep up with him in a knife fight.

But sure, let's keep saying how big, strong and roided out he is like that matters just as much as skill and speed, or pretend that Chris hits harder than the beings that have punted Leon into the stratosphere.

My point though, is that Leon should have been the one landing more hits then Leon, not the other way around, but when Chris grabbed him or landed a hit it should have done more damage.

Also, did Chris even land a hit? It looks like Leon blocked those knees.

Leon has been consistently more impressive on-screen, except for a few moments where he got embarrassed by the giant mutated chieften. Which, to me, I used to think was ridiculous, but the dude is a goddamn unit and Leon tried to roundhouse him like a moron. The second time he was completely blind-sided by him and there's no reason Leon should be stronger then this massive, mutated Ganado chieften.

Ridley_Prime
No regular human in RE is much of a match for Wesker without nerfing/injecting him, and Jill was physically enhanced by the P30 device that was controlling her; Chris didn't want to hurt her but save her. That was the only time they "fought", and lost to Glenn? Chris threw him off the building at the end of the video you posted.

Krauser was clearly about to stab Leon before Ada stepped in, and if he already had enhanced stats at the point, all the more that it was good she was there to save him.

Krauser was impressive but Wesker was on a different level. Krauser was but a pawn of he who transcended humanity. Wesker would destroy Leon even if he kept up with him a bit at first, and you would owe me those hundred dollars. Unless we're just gonna ignore Wesker's feats, since that's what you seem to do in favor of the character you argue for.

I don't disagree that Leon beats Chris under the right conditions (said in my first post that Leon would win in a knife fight), but all you're doing is lowballing Chris rather than giving a fair honest debate. erm Their stalemate fight in RE6 happened, like it or not.

Ridley_Prime
Oh, and if we're including gameplay mechanics since you seem to be doing so for Leon, Chris can react to and counter Wesker, and do a haymaker combo on him.

gF98_wE3NY8

But yes, let's pretend he can't fight worth a damn. smile

BackFire
So there was some potentially leaked information about this game a few days ago. No idea how accurate it is. The most interesting information in said leak was that you will be able to play the RE4 remake in first person mode or third person mode.

I think that would be cool if true. And would make subsequent playthroughs more interesting by adding more variety.

Other possible tidbits were things like the game would be even longer than the original, and that the same voice actor who played Leon in the RE2 Remake would come back for this.

Ridley_Prime
Wow, sounds like they're actually putting in effort unlike their previous remake (will never forgive 3 thumb down ). I would mostly only play in 3rd person if this is true and I was to get it, but cool for them to give you the option. Probably what they should've done to begin with since 7.

Arachnid1
Just chiming in to say Leon would beat Chris in a full out fight (only take movies or cutscenes are cannon BTW; little gameplay scripts that may or may not have happened don't really make sense as feats). People keep saying Chris "beat" Wesker, but I think we should examine the context of their encounters. Chris got hilariously stomped every encounter he had with Wesker, right from their first fight in Code Veronica. Chris had help from post RE3 Jill the next time he fought Wesker, and this time they both got stomped. Chris almost died only to be saved, and Jill basically did die (though survived due to Weskers experimentation). Then, every time he fought Wesker in RE5, he had help from Sheva and they both still got hilariously stomped. There were multiple times Wesker had Chris dead to rights but didn't kill him due to villain monologuing. There was one point where he literally had a gun to Chris' head. The only reason he beat Wesker at the end was Weskers bonding with Uroburos taking away his speed and effectively making him manageable. Even then, Chris had to be given a rocket launcher to stop Wesker from dragging his chopper into the lava. Chris was never once made out to be Wesker's equal. Not even close.

Leon taking out Krauser was more impressive. Not only was he solo, he was completely taken by surprise and at a disadvantage both times. Krauser was faster and stronger than he was by a ton, and they both had comparable training. Their final boss fight was an arena laced out with traps and all kinds of advantages for Krauser. Even their first fight that ended with Ada saving Leon was them fighting nearly even, and that was an already mutated Krauser.

Leon did as well against Krauser in their fights through pure skill. That's more impressive than Chris getting stomped by Wesker five times. So was Leon being a lone operative for almost the entirety of RE4. Chris always had help from one of his partners or various BSAA field operatives.

Chris even needed a partner and two miniguns to take out a single El Gigante. Leon took out multiple solo throughout the game, and one point even fought two at the same time. Chris needed a partner and miniguns to take out the water BOW he and Sheva encountered in RE5. Leon used harpoons to beat his (though there's an obvious size difference so that second point is kind of badly illustrated; just pointing out how Leon always feels like he succeeds as an underdog).

All this is before we even get into all the movies. Leon was the lead in every single one, so that's afforded him all kinds of insane feats. Remember him getting smacked a football field away into a metal wall by the G-monster in Degeneration? Or the insane abuse he took from the Tyrant in Damnation? Or the close quarters battle he had with the intelligent tyrant in Vendetta (this one was flat out ridiculous, and we've never seen Chris do something like this)? He's even got the Infinite Darkness show coming next month which will probably give him even more ridiculous showings.

People are also ignoring the context of their RE6 encounter while twisting what was shown on screen. Chris was on a warpath trying to kill Ada the entire time. Leon was clearly just trying to control the situation and calm him down. That entire fight also showed them to be obviously even since I'm assuming the devs didn't want to piss off fans of either. Leon dodged Chris haymaker, Chris dodged his sweeping kick, grappling started (which is something Chris really should have had no problem with), Chris tried to knee Leon twice which Leon blocked both times, Leon twisted out of Chris grab, Chris threw Leon out of his grab, Leon rolled out of the throw, and they both got their guns up at the exact same time. There was no damage put out either way, and the only one who was indisputably going all out was Chris. Keep in mind that this was a straight out H2H fight, which IMO Chris should have bodied Leon in.

Chris is great, but Leon is on another level

Ridley_Prime
Chris was able to start adapting and reacting to Wesker when he began being weakened after the injection, during the QTE airship part before Uroboros. That's when Wesker started being manageable, no longer being the one in control. If the opposite was true, he wouldn't of need to merge with Uroboros, but the transformation at the volcano sealed the deal on his demise either way. But yeah, plenty of PIS and bad writing went into how Wesker was fought and beaten, which diminished Chris's victory there. Part of the problem was Wesker (especially by the time of 5) being just uber by RE standards who was far above anyone previously fought in the series (Krauser, etc), but they still could've shown a more believable tactful way of Chris taking him down. The original version & storyboard of 5 would've fit that bill, before they added Sheva into everything to "prove their weren't racist" after the initial controversy the game got... But is what it is.

With how the Chris vs Leon thing had heated for the years prior to 6, it was obvious from the start that having them fight in a stalemate in that game was Capcom's answer to it, to avoid pissing off fans of either side. And that's fine. They clearly value both characters, having remained staples.

Nemesis X
https://www.ign.com/articles/resident-evil-4-creator-hopes-the-rumored-remake-improves-his-story

Even for a 3 week made-up story, it still retained it's classic Resident Evil charm. Part of RE2make's success was talking with Shinji Mikami during the game's development so I hope that's what they're doing for this too if they want RE4make to have as big a reception with fans.

Smasandian
Yeah...

It's funny, gamers are less enthralled with remakes that modify the original game. Yet movie fans are OK when the original gets re-cut. (blade runner for ex).

I wonder what the difference is.

For me, I prefer remakes/remasters be their own special thing and have changes...but I also think publishers need to ensure the previous games are still made available.

In fact...I think they should include the original game in the remake though I understand that might be difficult depending on the title.

Kazenji

Yeah...

It's funny, gamers are less enthralled with remakes that modify the original game. Yet movie fans are OK when the original gets re-cut. (blade runner for ex).

For me with RE4 it doesn't need to be remade, its fine as is. But i guess Capcom is still on the remake train better keep going

This

looking at you Rockstar games.

Smasandian
For sure. I don't think companies should stop selling old games if there happens to be a remastered available. (well within reason, if there is "remaster" that just ups resolution or something...then I guess that would be OK)

Kazenji
Well in regards to Rockstar games with Vice City & San Andreas alot of the songs were removed over licenses with the digital version anyway

even with their recent The Definitive Edition's they didn't even bother to renew those licenses. One good thing owning physical copies of games.

Nemesis X
You would think since RE2 and RE3's remakes can't get on Switch (and let's be honest: cloud sucks), the very least Capcom can throw the Nintendo side a bone giving them a Collection of the classic originals with RE1: Director's Cut and maybe Code Veronica added for good measure. We have multiple Mega Man collections, the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary, the Devil May Cry HD Collection, Onimusha got a rerelease so why not?

R_pezPCy9mE

Kazenji
I was hoping to see all of the Onimusha games get a remaster, But nope they stopped at the first game.

Jmanghan
State of Play announced the release date: March 24th, 2023.

Arachnid1
YES YES YES YES YES

-L1EuRo54pI

Ridley_Prime
Something I thought about earlier that made me make my peace with the RE4make was the realization that RE9 would just be another part of 1st person series with no Leon in sight. So, aside from the great RE2make we got a few years ago, this here will be all Leon, Ada, and company will have going for them for awhile in terms of game appearances.

Still disappointed too that Jill's been MIA aside from the awful rushed remake of RE3, but they've all been mostly MIA after RE5 and 6 which has been a missed opportunity. Needless to say, I won't blindly consume this 4 remake like I did 3 under the assumption it would be great like 2 was. Something to consider when it's someday on sale for cheap though? Absolutely.

Nemesis X
Something I thought about earlier that made me make my peace with the RE4make was the realization that RE9 would just be another part of 1st person series with no Leon in sight. So, aside from the great RE2make we got a few years ago, this here will be all Leon, Ada, and company will have going for them for awhile in terms of game appearances.

Still disappointed too that Jill's been MIA aside from the awful rushed remake of RE3, but they've all been mostly MIA after RE5 and 6 which has been a missed opportunity. Needless to say, I won't blindly consume this 4 remake like I did 3 under the assumption it would be great like 2 was. Something to consider when it's someday on sale for cheap though? Absolutely.

What, you don't want Luis to die near the tutorial, Ashley to have fewer interactives, and Merchant to ask what NFT are ya buyin?

Ridley_Prime
laughing out loud

Please do Mercenaries justice this time at least if nothing else. That's all I ask Capcom. After RE3 the bar has never been lower.

Arachnid1
Yeah. Please, for the love of god, don't cut Mercs.

Ridley_Prime
Oh, just for transparency, I won't be a party pooper for those genuinely excited for this remake. I know I've gone on and on about the disappointment of the RE3 remake which I never lived down, but unlike that game which was made by one of Capcom's B teams, this has had their A team working on it. And while RE3 was technically the first game to have Mercenaries, RE4 you could argue was what popularized it, so if they save if for this, then not all will have been lost. It's a shame we'll never get a proper modernization of RE3, but doesn't mean everything remade after will be shit.

That said, I can see some corners being cut with this. Even the remake of 2 had some things missing from the original, but not enough that it felt like an incomplete game. This still ought to be on par with 2 despite that.

I haven't been in much a hurry for a next gen system, but by the time it becomes more reasonable to find one and I get one, this game will probably be on a sale discount.

Smasandian
Im in the sam boat. I will 100% get this when I'm ready to replay the game. I have already played it for the 10th (it feels) a few years ago.

Probably wait for the sale like I did RE3...which I also liked.

Nemesis X
When I saw Ada in the trailer, I couldn't help but notice the lack of iconic red dress and more her attire being straight out of RE6. Yet Leon gets to keep his jacket from the original. Guess like with RE3make Jill, Capcom can't tolerate outfits being fanservice by default. Nevermind how much Dimitrescu was used to promote Village.

Ridley_Prime
I suppose Krauser won't be saying "Well if it isn't the bi*ch in the red dress" now.

Aside from that, I hope they have Ada's other alts from the original RE4. Liked those too, and they weren't even as fanservicey as her default in that game. For her default in this remake, I would've taken a new outfit even if it covered her up more, but just reusing the RE6 outfit is lazy, if that's the case.

If that's the worst I can say about this remake though, then it's trivial in the grand scheme of things. Jill being covered up more in the 3 remake wasn't too surprising, but it was also like the least of that game's problems.

Arachnid1
It's so god damn beautiful.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/e5a3ac7db19af37d8fa8fbfa5d7853d4/91bb089cfd05a5df-d7/s400x600/ea33e4b159db4cbd67da6120ff4ba693fcf13a2e.gifvhttps://64.media.tumblr.com/bf2d9ded797d7c624c5b05bff5b148bf/91bb089cfd05a5df-f7/s400x600/a5e1ece046207a8c7a4cfc70a8021c4703f7c21b.gifv

https://64.media.tumblr.com/7a129f3c2f63bae7ab10838de697116b/91bb089cfd05a5df-88/s540x810/5f9752faa83a0365c8b3458a2357698a3d4aa6ba.gifvhttps://64.media.tumblr.com/c66dae156320ec53447c027337037c21/91bb089cfd05a5df-22/s540x810/7355764f1bea5ccb50b2725e736cb917c9a60b2e.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/0YkM9Sd.gif

Also, looks like Chief Mendez will be a stalker type enemy this game. He's rendered with a sick hat in actual gameplay now.
https://i.imgur.com/rVFB2E8.png

Nemesis X
If that's the worst I can say about this remake though, then it's trivial in the grand scheme of things. Jill being covered up more in the 3 remake wasn't too surprising, but it was also like the least of that game's problems.

Just have to wait and see. I'm worried about a lot of things with this. Ashley's AI for instance if they don't outright nix the escorting. You can call her annoying but she has the best AI in the series you don't see again in future RE titles where the partner AI in those won't get out of the way and completely waste healing items over the most minor injuries. Apply that kind of AI to RE4 and that won't get annoying...

Also, looks like Chief Mendez will be a stalker type enemy this game. He's rendered with a sick hat in actual gameplay now.
https://i.imgur.com/rVFB2E8.png

Unless they have different stalkers for different areas, Dr Salvador aka the chainsaw man would've been scarier to have hunting you imo. I feel nothing but dread around that guy.

Smasandian
If Ashley was the best AI character in the RE series...than that's sad. She barely had it....it was basically come here....and stay there.

Chief Mendez is probably the only boss type that could work like a stalker. I assume they will not touch Dr Salvador...too iconic of a character for this game.

Nemesis X
If Ashley was the best AI character in the RE series...than that's sad. She barely had it....it was basically come here....and stay there.

Chief Mendez is probably the only boss type that could work like a stalker. I assume they will not touch Dr Salvador...too iconic of a character for this game.

Stays close, tries going behind you during fights, ducks when you aim in her direction, cheers when you land crits, doesn't wander off, warns you if taken, tells you if you're venturing too far after you told her to hide/wait. For an AI fulfilling the role of scared teen, yeah AI did good which is more than the other AIs do without player guidance are brainless lobby filling bots.

Ridley_Prime
Indeed. lol

I will say the role of Mendez makes me excited for the idea of a stalker boss Majini or something in a hypothetical RE5 remake.. But will only cross that bridge if we come to it. RE4 with a stalker enemy is fantastic as is.

Adam Grimes
I find it very interesting how they purposefully choose to incorporate elements from discarded versions of the og game into the remakes. It's neat.

Kazenji
Wonder if the Hook Man will make his appearance in this version.

Arachnid1
He could work as a sort of hallucination as Leon succumbs to the Plagas. I'd be on board with that. They already introduced that whole mechanic with RE8 anyway.

Arachnid1
Leon's model looks fking fantastic for his RE4 iteration. Legit bad@ss. They knocked him out of the park.

oF60QAHn-UY

https://i.imgur.com/Z0g1R1S.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VwvWaqB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/v1x6dvO.jpg

Nemesis X
Sure, the environments and characters look nice but that's all it's been so far: visuals. No real gameplay yet beyond walking. Leon couldn't even go in the house and meet the first Ganado before it cut to black during the livestream. After 3, I'm not taking Resident Evil remakes at face value anymore.

Stealth Moose
Sure, the environments and characters look nice but that's all it's been so far: visuals. No real gameplay yet beyond walking. Leon couldn't even go in the house and meet the first Ganado before it cut to black during the livestream. After 3, I'm not taking Resident Evil remakes at face value anymore.

I still don't get the hate for 3. It was a good game, and they did well in the limited time they used for it. I was a fan of the original, and even still I admit that it was a retread of RE2 with reused resources and slapped together level design. Doesn't make it any less of an interest story and game to me though.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
I still don't get the hate for 3. It was a good game, and they did well in the limited time they used for it. I was a fan of the original, and even still I admit that it was a retread of RE2 with reused resources and slapped together level design. Doesn't make it any less of an interest story and game to me though.

"they did well in the limited time they used for it"

You just answered your own question. You shouldn't be rushing a game, especially one with fans waiting nearly twenty years for, just to make way for another remake you deem more important. How would RE4 fans feel if 5 was the more ambitious remake leaving 4 in a similar half-assed state? Alright, everyone, we're removing the castle, the village sections will be smaller, Krauser & Luis we'll be killing off way quicker, the salamander and the U-3 I felt were filler anyway.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
RE3 had the chance to be expanded on more with a remake, and they not only fumbled it but made it even shorter than the original. You're right that 3 was always going to be a retread of RE2 at the end of the day, but after the success of the RE2 remake, I still expected similar quality of RE3 in 2020. I didn't get that, just a diminished Nemesis and a rushed game to get put out at the tail end of last gen. No compensation with DLC either like any of the other games.

I'm fine with you and anyone liking the RE3make though. I admit there's some things to like about it, but still a disappointment when knowing what could've been.

I'm cautiously hyping the remake of 4 regardless, but it does feel like some are hyping it as though the remake of 3 wasn't in any way mishandled. That, or, not referring to you on this part specifically, many just didn't like the original RE3 much to begin with, so when a remake made it even shorter, they just shrugged and went "Oh well, onto the next thing!".

That is what the current remake formula feels like though; "onto the next thing!", as opposed to taking their time. An RE4 remake was pretty much announced right after RE3 released after all. I know they have a better team working on the 4 remake and was obviously developed a good bit longer than the RE3make, but still, every remake should be made with time and love. Remember how long it took for an RE2 remake to come out? A long while, but it was worth the wait. Can't really say the same for the remake of 3 though.

Impediment

Arachnid1
Re4 is by the RE2 team anyway. Thank god. The RE3 team phoned it in. Game was trash.

Smasandian
RE2 and RE3 remake should of been part of the same package considering the original games are so much a like.

But RE3 remake is not trash...could of been more..or at least less expensive to buy.

Ridley_Prime
Remake Nemesis was toned down in response to how unforgiving remake Mr X was for players. I firmly believe that's what happened, but the amount of content from the original RE3 that was cut in the remake didn't help either.

Recurring stalker characters seems to be a main theme for every RE game now though, what with Mendez in the upcoming RE4. Just don't make them such a scripted pussy like remake Nemesis, and they should always be a good horror experience. There was Ustanak in RE6 too, granted, but he was similar in being highly scripted with how 6 was an action game. Remake Nemesis was more like Ustanak than he was like Mr X, which was kind of the problem...

While still on the topic, just gonna leave this here.

Zxm60K3OnCs

First impressions from a game intro say a lot, and said intro gave a good idea right off as to how rushed RE3make was. When playing the 4 remake, pay attention to the intro, as it'll give a good idea of what you're gonna get.

Stealth Moose
"they did well in the limited time they used for it"

You just answered your own question. You shouldn't be rushing a game, especially one with fans waiting nearly twenty years for, just to make way for another remake you deem more important. How would RE4 fans feel if 5 was the more ambitious remake leaving 4 in a similar half-assed state? Alright, everyone, we're removing the castle, the village sections will be smaller, Krauser & Luis we'll be killing off way quicker, the salamander and the U-3 I felt were filler anyway.

I mean, sometimes setting your expectations helps avoid disappointment. When they announced RE3 remake to come out a year after 2, I didn't immediately expect it to be the best ever in terms of length or embellishment. For my part, seeing my favorite RE classic title upgraded to RE engine levels of detail was enough to make me happy.

I could nitpick. I could say I wish Nemmy was more random and brutal in the game, I could say give us back the clocktower (even though it was a filler level at best and short in the original) or the graveyard (again, more pointless filler that bored me in the original). I could complain about the lack of Mercs mode most, as I got a lot of mileage out of the original variant.

But at the end of the day, I got a pretty nice shiny, adrenaline fueled remake of a second tier game in the classic line up, with what I thought were good revamps of the hospital segment, the starting areas, and the sewer inclusion.

Ridley_Prime
Yeah, I have to call bullshit on the less is more argument. If the RE4 remake were to miss anywhere as much stuff from the original as what 3 did, no one would be singing that tune. It would just confirm to everyone that Capcom doesnt respect us and just wants to make a quick buck.

There is more reason to be hopeful for this RE4 though, with 3 just being seen as a hiccup, but it didnt have to be that way.

Arachnid1
Yeah, there is no way I'll be OK with just "seeing my favorite RE classic title upgraded to RE engine levels of detail". It needs to be up to snuff, and I will nitpick the living shit out of any shortcomings. RE4 needs to not get the RE3 treatment. RE2 was fantastic, but this remake needs a level of care even beyond it. I also definitely want the games length intact. RE4 is easily the longest game in the series with the exception of RE6. I want my 16 hours intact.

Smasandian
If they were going to make changes, 100% has to the island section of the game. Village and Castle are nearly flawless in execution.

The Island section is not so much. Way more enemies, less impressive setting and the final "war/heli" section is pretty ****ing tedious. That area is saved by the regenerators/iron maiden enemy types. Without those, it's just a generic action game.

If they can fix that part up and make it better, it would be a perfect action survival game. Not sure how...but I rather have the Mr.X stalker type in this part of the game than the village area (which doesn't need that shit)

Nemesis X
I did like the part with Mike. They need to keep him.

Stealth Moose
Yeah, I have to call bullshit on the less is more argument. If the RE4 remake were to miss anywhere as much stuff from the original as what 3 did, no one would be singing that tune. It would just confirm to everyone that Capcom doesnt respect us and just wants to make a quick buck.

There is more reason to be hopeful for this RE4 though, with 3 just being seen as a hiccup, but it didnt have to be that way.

I'm not sure where a less is more argument was put forth. If you were referring to me, my point is that managing expectations helps from being super disappointed. RE3 Remake was a fun 5-6 hour run through a remake of a story that ultimately didn't add much to the overall RE lore and was originally just thrown out there by Capcom before the transition to the next gen systems at the time.

From my perspective, classic RE titles are too short to get worked up about. Every classic RE title can be beaten in less time than it takes to watch a LOTR movie, so complaining about length seems rather pointless. The RE3 Remake had great atmosphere in spades, some truly memorable scenes, and while Nemmy definitely could have been more RNG, it does seem to be a step up from the original in every way. What it couldn't have been was a step up from the RE2 Remake, which just blew everyone's minds a year before. That's setting a false expectation for yourself if you thought that much.

I really think a lot of people just were subconsciously holding it up to RE2 Remake instead of the original, and I find a lot of the complaints about cut areas to be a bit silly given that the areas which do exist in the game (some of which are completely new) are much better put together than the original's levels. And again, this is from my POV as someone who loved the original a lot. It's the first game I ever bought with my own money from my first job, and I played it to death. I knifed my way through it eventually after mastering the dodge mechanic. I'm not immune to nostalgia here.

Yeah, there is no way I'll be OK with just "seeing my favorite RE classic title upgraded to RE engine levels of detail". It needs to be up to snuff, and I will nitpick the living shit out of any shortcomings. RE4 needs to not get the RE3 treatment. RE2 was fantastic, but this remake needs a level of care even beyond it. I also definitely want the games length intact. RE4 is easily the longest game in the series with the exception of RE6. I want my 16 hours intact.

Okay, good for you. From my perspective, RE3 was never as popular as other titles in the series that got remakes (1, 2, and now 4) and I didn't ever expect it to happen until launch. Certainly not every title in the series will get this treatment. I don't think anyone is waiting with baited breath over the remake of Code Veronica.

Without drastically changing the story or adding more plot points to it, there's really nothing more that can be done with RE3 other than to make it a one and done quick romp through Raccoon City. Because that's what it was on PS1.

Ridley_Prime
It would've benefited more to just wait for next gen systems (or what is current gen now rather) in the case of the RE3 remake, regardless. People would've happily waited in the event of it having more time in the oven and not so much corners cut.

No, I was not expecting the RE3make to top 2, when 2 was longer than 3 to begin with out of the originals. To be honest, I didn't mind the length of the RE3 remake the first time I played through it, after previously playing a much longer game and having one other game in my backlog to go through at the time, but after playing it more later to get the rest of the trophies, the otherwise lack of retention hurt the RE3 remake more than anything for me in the long run. I thought too that there would be eventual updates that would add in some things that was missing like Mercenaries, but nope. The updates only went to the online Resistance mode which hardly anyone played. I became more critical of RE3's length and amount of content after the fact since it wasn't gonna be supported with DLC. Mercenaries should've been a thing over that shit online mode to begin with.

I was and am holding the RE3 remake up to the original, and it just wasn't up to snuff for people. Even putting aside the cut areas, what about things like the choice mechanics the original RE3 had? That would've given the remake more replay variety too.

In what world is no one waiting for a Code Veronica remake? People had been talking about that, and there's even an attempted fan remake of it. Chronologically, it would've made sense to remake CV after 3, but they went with RE4 since it was more popular despite it aging better and being in less need of a remake; money talks and all that, but I'd be surprised if a CV remake didn't happen sometime after.

Nemesis X
Remake Nemesis was toned down in response to how unforgiving remake Mr X was for players. I firmly believe that's what happened, but the amount of content from the original RE3 that was cut in the remake didn't help either.

Recurring stalker characters seems to be a main theme for every RE game now though, what with Mendez in the upcoming RE4. Just don't make them such a scripted pussy like remake Nemesis, and they should always be a good horror experience. There was Ustanak in RE6 too, granted, but he was similar in being highly scripted with how 6 was an action game. Remake Nemesis was more like Ustanak than he was like Mr X, which was kind of the problem...

While still on the topic, just gonna leave this here.

Zxm60K3OnCs

First impressions from a game intro say a lot, and said intro gave a good idea right off as to how rushed RE3make was. When playing the 4 remake, pay attention to the intro, as it'll give a good idea of what you're gonna get.

DjbErUC8hFk

I don't think anyone can do Jill worse than this, even her in RE5 still had a semblance of her personality from the original games once the mind control wore off. Here she's an uppity, stoic badass taking shit from nobody. She's ready to kick ass and chew bubblegum! It diminishes the tension it already barely had (if any) when you're playing a character yelling at the monster to (and I quote it from the game) suck it.

Arachnid1
Agreed. I actually used to like Jill as a character prior to RE3make (just another one of its many failures). After her RE3 version being straight up not her, I'd rather she never show up in the series again. The way she acted (especially towards Nemesis) was straight up cringe.

Also, I'm legit glad people collectively recognized RE3makes shortcomings and continue to sh*t on it. Trash game.

Nemesis X
You have a point, but I would like to see her redeemed and when the RE5 Remake happens (I see no ifs after everything lately), she will be back whether we like it or not and it'd be cool I think if they made her the stalker enemy in that what with looking like a plague doctor.

Smasandian
I did like the part with Mike. They need to keep him.

Oh for sure. I just feel that entire section is extremely tedious now. Maybe instead of 100s of enemies (or so it feels), Mike helps you with a stalker like enemy....

Impediment
I just hope Saddler is a better final boss.

That fight was lame, IMO.

Nemesis X
Rumor running rampant around the internet that apparently Krauser will be a no-show in the remake according to this leak. Click the boxes at your risk.

https://www.reddit.com/r/residentevil4/comments/ugfdz6/new_potential_rumoursspoilers_for_re4_remake_from/

Can't say this really surprises me if this is true, I saw something like this coming. I can get some seeing him representing the action half of RE4 and are glad to see him gone but he was still an overall fan favorite plus a part of Leon's lore during his days in the secret service. That mission in South America in Darkside Chronicles was so canon. You can keep pretending otherwise.

Smasandian
Interesting. The island sequences seems to change quite a bit...probably the worst part of the game.

I'm OK with changes. As long as they still sell the original game (and many versions of it)...I don't have a problem if they decided to re-work the game. Probably a good thing considering I have played the original at least 5 times...so changes are more than welcome.

But's that just me.

Arachnid1
That entire leak is BS. There was no update to RE2 in May. Also, he says Leon has a new voice actor to to sound more like Paul from RE4, which is also BS since we know Nick from RE2 is returning. He also says it's getting released on all current gen consoles too, which isn't true. He also says Ashley wears jeans in the remake with her skirt being cut. She's wearing her skirt with stockings and boots. Salazar helping develop the tech for the plagas infection sounds dumb too. He's not a scientist like Saddler.

I'm not OK with the changes. Krauser needs to stay. Do a better job of introducing him if you want, but the reasoning for cutting him doesn't check out. He doesn't need prior appearances to be impactful. I'm tired of retarded redditors giving credence to stupid 4chan "leaks".

Ridley_Prime
Given the previous remake's tendency to remove some things, this wouldn't surprise me too much, and although a fan favorite as mentioned, Krauser did represent the more action side of the original game, so can understand removing him in lieu of a more horror experience overall, but having really liked him, that still sucks if true and hoping it's not.

The lack of prior appearances was a criticism that some had always had with Krauser, who usually brushed off Darkside Chronicles as non-canon due to being a spinoff, but it did a perfect job establishing his past with Leon before 4, down to the arm and everything.

If they was to cut anything from the original RE4, I concede that Krauser makes the most sense since his whole character kind of came out of nowhere, but that randomness was also part of his charm you could argue.

Nemesis X
That entire leak is BS. There was no update to RE2 in May. Also, he says Leon has a new voice actor to to sound more like Paul from RE4, which is also BS since we know Nick from RE2 is returning. He also says it's getting released on all current gen consoles too, which isn't true. He also says Ashley wears jeans in the remake with her skirt being cut. She's wearing her skirt with stockings and boots. Salazar helping develop the tech for the plagas infection sounds dumb too. He's not a scientist like Saddler.

I'm not OK with the changes. Krauser needs to stay. Do a better job of introducing him if you want, but the reasoning for cutting him doesn't check out. He doesn't need prior appearances to be impactful. I'm tired of retarded redditors giving credence to stupid 4chan "leaks".

The change to how Ashley travels is dumb too. Instead of following you around, she teleports room to room? I'm getting Dead Rising 4 deja vu with how that game lazily handled it's npc escorts. Again, if it's true.

But what is confirmed now is the actor for Ada Wong in the RE2 Remake will not be returning for RE4. Her replacement is up in the air but the rumor a lot are talking about for who that might be is...erm....

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/vehbwf/lily_gao_may_be_ada_wongs_performance_capture/

If anybody, I would've tried getting Li Bingbing who played Ada in Retribution to reprise the role. If you're gonna give a nod to an RE movie, how about to one of the few good ones.

FinalAnswer
In what world is no one waiting for a Code Veronica remake?

Code Veronica occupies this weird space where it's enjoyed as a classic Resident Evil game, and the fandom generally likes it, but it also simultaneously sees a lot of shade thrown at it for being a weaker entry, for some reason.

Arachnid1
The RE showcase is live in 2 hours. It's going to feature the RE8 xpac and RE4.

IwxO0VBhlbw

Can't wait. I've been watching that first trailer basically on repeat since June. Today, we get gameplay! I'm hoping to see Dr. Salvador, Krauser, and a death or two (RE4 deaths were brutal and didn't hide it, the same way Dead Space does). Don't skimp out. I want to see Leon's head on the ground.

https://cdn3.whatculture.com/images/2015/10/r4.gif

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ThoseBowedCockatoo-size_restricted.gif

https://juncturemedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/tumblr_nfwx5n8cC81t46hado1_500.gif

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FittingWarmheartedAbalone-max-1mb.gif

https://i.gifer.com/LsRW.gif

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3z156667s1r1btizo2_r1_500.gif

https://66.media.tumblr.com/c08c5dff642f175e9e5f164e45445fa6/tumblr_ppy8hoTgl61vk2qmmo1_500.gif

Arachnid1
9p0YVZy2hXI

5lnSPbcmB7Y

****ing amazing. Leon is still a combat rolling/roundhouse kicking chad, and now he parries chainsaws with his knife.

Dr. Salvador is perfection. Poor man has lost a bit of muscle mass, but that's fine. I felt kind of robbed that they ended on the parry instead of the decapitation it all felt like it was building towards. Should have gone balls out.

My boy Salazar is back and intact! Large and in charge! Conniving and thriving! He's perfect!

Also, "Bill me for the repairs later." ****ing LMAO he still has his one liners! And now he casually drops them during gameplay depending on what you do. Amazing. Nick did good with his new version of Leons voice. Good evolution from RE2make. Fun fact: He took lessons from Paul Mercier to accurately translate OG Leons voice and swagger.

NuLuis looks like a creep and doesn't have his Dante style swave. Also not a fan of NuAdas voice or look (which is fine, since I've never been a fan of Ada; that said, OG RE4 Ada was the only interpretation that I somewhat liked)

This looks like it'll be a lot more faithful than I expected. Not as much of the horror tone as I was hoping for, but it's alright. I was good with either choice.

Smasandian
That first video is the first house you visit when the game starts?

If so...then I'm not sure how you can you it doesn't have more of an horror tone considering it seemed that section was ripped right out of RE7.

It looks good and if the first video is any indication on what is going to be changed, I'm OK with it. I'm not sure I will pick this game up right away though, I just played it about 2 years ago (which is like the 10th time already)

FinalAnswer
I made the soiboy face when he blocked the chainsaw with the knife.

Arachnid1
0LlESLZdIGs

4k version of the trailer is out! Also, one of the dudes from easy allies got to play 20 minutes. We've got confirmation that the "Bingo?" line is still in. He also saw Krauser in a flashback during the intro (he and Leon were training together in the past).

Also, snagged my collectors edition preorder. For anyone who wants it:
https://www.gamestop.com/search/video-games/products/resident-evil-4-collector-edition---xbox-series-x/356054.html

That first video is the first house you visit when the game starts?

If so...then I'm not sure how you can you it doesn't have more of an horror tone considering it seemed that section was ripped right out of RE7.

It looks good and if the first video is any indication on what is going to be changed, I'm OK with it. I'm not sure I will pick this game up right away though, I just played it about 2 years ago (which is like the 10th time already) I mean, a little I guess, but then we go right back to flips, and roundhouses, and cheesy one liners. Actually, that stuff is enhanced. Leon can parry with the knife now and use it for finishers on the ground now. Also, with that first ganado, noticed how his neck was broken already? That happens in a cutscene they skipped. First enemy, and Leon kicks the dude so hard into a wall that it practically decapitates him. If that doesn't set the tone, IDK what does.

Originally posted by FinalAnswer
I made the soiboy face when he blocked the chainsaw with the knife. I still feel robbed of my decap. That scene was cool, but I feel like it takes away some of the fear factor around Dr. Salvador. That dude is scary BECAUSE he's always a OHK. I like the new parry mechanic, but maybe not for that. Still, pretty bad@ss

FinalAnswer
I mean, I expected the decap, that's why Leon actually blocking it took me off-guard.

I would just hope that since Leon has means of surviving Salvador swinging at him, that means the devs aren't afraid to make Salvador himself a more versatile opponent, which is honestly the impression I've gotten, considering he destroyed the supports of the roof structure.

Arachnid1
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1583241968938672131? ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm
%5E1583241968938672131%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

sad

No more double teaming this guy:

https://i.imgur.com/hm9m7Ut.jpg

Originally posted by FinalAnswer
I mean, I expected the decap, that's why Leon actually blocking it took me off-guard.

I would just hope that since Leon has means of surviving Salvador swinging at him, that means the devs aren't afraid to make Salvador himself a more versatile opponent, which is honestly the impression I've gotten, considering he destroyed the supports of the roof structure. We'll see. I trust these devs. RE2 was near perfect.

Also, thank god for the return of jacked Leon

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FfjAiezXwAUHmUT?format=jpg&name=large

Nemesis X
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/tWtiZzFvGzs

WTF

Kazenji

We'll see. I trust these devs. RE2 was near perfect.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FfjAiezXwAUHmUT?format=jpg&name=large

I heard that the RE 3 remake guys were originally doing this remake, But after how that turned out they got switched to the RE 2 remake team.

Dante158
Finally the remake one. Capcom has just making a great movement for the remake of this game

BackFire
This looks amazing.

-Pr-
I'm not liking the new designs of the characters, but I realise that's just personal opinion etc.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>