Does TCW confirm that Maul actually became more powerful in Rebels??

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Eli Vanto
As we all know- Maul and Ahsoka were shown to be on par with each other in the recent ep of TCW.

And since I can only assume that Ahsoka became stronger between TCW and Rebels, does that mean Maul also became stronger over this time considering that he and Ahsoka still seemed to be on a similar level in Rebels season 2?

I.e. Rebels Maul~Rebels Ahsoka>TCW Ahsoka~TCW Maul

??

Galan007
Rebels Ahsoka is definitely above TCW Ahsoka.

Her fight with Vader is proof enough of that.

ares834
The fight in Rebels was way too short too draw anything conclusive.

ozz81

Total Warrior
In Rebels Maul said "Running again.. lady Tano?", I wondered if he referred to this fight (but he was the one in a hurry here) or to another duel where Tano left

Total Warrior
Maybe there will be a part 2 of their fight

Galan007

Galan007
Originally posted by Total Warrior
In Rebels Maul said "Running again.. lady Tano?", I wondered if he referred to this fight (but he was the one in a hurry here) or to another duel where Tano left Could be(I guess we'll know in the next few weeks.)

Or it could be him mocking her for "running away" from the Jedi Order.

Scizard
Originally posted by ares834
The fight in Rebels was way too short too draw anything conclusive.

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by Eli Vanto
As we all know- Maul and Ahsoka were shown to be on par with each other in the recent ep of TCW.

And since I can only assume that Ahsoka became stronger between TCW and Rebels, does that mean Maul also became stronger over this time considering that he and Ahsoka still seemed to be on a similar level
Just because Ahska didn't outright skewer him on a nexus in a minuite doesn't mean they were comparable fighters. All the notable moments of the fight went Ahsoka's way. At best you can argue the fight was inconclusive.

Eli Vanto
It should at least confirm that Rebels Maul wasn't actually weaker (like some have speculated) right?

Because if Maul had become weaker by Rebels, a more powerful Ahsoka would have realistically beaten the crap out of him.

Scizard
No because the fight doesn't last long enough for that to happen. I don't have an opinion on Maul's prime, but I don't think that proves anything.

Eli Vanto
But if Maul had become weaker, while Ahsoka become quite a bit stronger, shouldn't she have still been able to own him pretty easily even though their fight was brief?

Scizard
Well she beats him in a bladelock with one hand. I think duels can still last a decent amount of time even if the skill gap is fairly large, it's more of just whatever the director chooses/whatever is needed or wanted and even if the gap is fairly big I don't think that means that the user will always be able to dispatch them quickly.

Better to look at what actually happens in the fight and Ahsoka also thinks Kanan can deal with Maul so I guess she didn't really see the need to defeat Maul if she thinks Kanan can do it. no expression

Rockydonovang
It should at least confirm that Rebels Maul wasn't actually weaker (like some have speculated) right?

Because if Maul had become weaker by Rebels, a more powerful Ahsoka would have realistically beaten the crap out of him.
Well realisticlally, sod maul can't be vastly better than rebels maul as people were arguing. But I don't think it's impossible for rebels maul to have a slight decline and not get outright owned in 50 seconds. We also don't know how strong the nexus was.

Eli Vanto
Originally posted by Scizard
Well she beats him in a bladelock with one hand. I think duels can still last a decent amount of time even if the skill gap is fairly large, it's more of just whatever the director chooses/whatever is needed or wanted and even if the gap is fairly big I don't think that means that the user will always be able to dispatch them quickly.

Better to look at what actually happens in the fight and Ahsoka also thinks Kanan can deal with Maul so I guess she didn't really see the need to defeat Maul if she thinks Kanan can do it. no expression I still chalk the Kanan thing up to Maul just dropping his guard like he always seems to do when he thinks he has someone on the ropes.

I definitely dont see Kanan being close to Mauls level.

Scizard
Sure, but Ahsoka still thinks Kanan can beat Maul regardless of the circumstances. She wouldn't just leave Kanan to die.

Galan007
Maul really is a tard when it comes to finishing the job. Many of his losses only happened because he was an arrogant asshat and didn't capitalize when he should have.

Anyway, I'm still on the fence as to whether or not Maul was weaker in Rebels. I know Matt Martin said that he was "older and out of practice", but that doesn't necessarily equate to "weaker." Tbh, I really can't think of a good reason why his power wouldn't have continued growing. /shrug

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Galan007
but that doesn't necessarily equate to "weaker."

True.

Everybody used to make fun of old Ben, till he uzipped his pants and destroyed Maul with his gigantic phallus.

NewGuy01
But if Maul had become weaker, while Ahsoka become quite a bit stronger,
On what basis did Ahsoka become "quite a bit stronger" in the first place?

And what's the good reason to assume his power would have continued growing? Does Maul have some ability I don't know about that let's him passively accumulate force strength over time?

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by NewGuy01
On what basis did Ahsoka become "quite a bit stronger" in the first place?

And what's the good reason to assume his power would have continued growing? Does Maul have some ability I don't know about that let's him passively accumulate force strength over time?
1. I believe one of the rebels retcons indicated Ahsoka had improved as a fighter. Also, IRRC, the ahsoka novel has her undergo some power growth (after her inital fight with maul) tho i have no idea if that's still considered canon.

2. Well Maul was looking for sith artifacts and he found himself on a sith temple. In legends characters tended to grow more powerful over time, but canon hasn't made that explicit.

Scizard
Why wouldn't characters grow over time.......

Galan007
Originally posted by NewGuy01
And what's the good reason to assume his power would have continued growing? Nothing definitive, I suppose. Just my opinion.

Though I do think Filoni commented that Rebels Maul was angrier and more hate-filled than we had previously seen him, which could have bolstered his connection to the dark side. We also know that he had been studying/practicing some of the more esoteric abilities of the dark side(like when he used Dathomirian magics with Ezra.)

So I think it's entirely possible that his power had grown over the time between TCW and Rebels... But again, that's just my two cents.

ozz81
yeah will be interesting to see if he gains any more powers... force Lightening would have been awesome if they had given him that power...

ares834
Honestly, I figured that Maul kind of withered away. His mastery and knowledge of the force has likely increased and he has gained some new tricks. But from a pure combat perspective, I think he isn't what he once was.

Sheev
Originally posted by Galan007
Maul really is a tard when it comes to finishing the job. Many of his losses only happened because he was an arrogant asshat and didn't capitalize when he should have.

Anyway, I'm still on the fence as to whether or not Maul was weaker in Rebels. I know Matt Martin said that he was "older and out of practice", but that doesn't necessarily equate to "weaker." Tbh, I really can't think of a good reason why his power wouldn't have continued growing. /shrug Out of practise definitely does not mean weaker.

You could argue that Sidious was out of practice when he fought Savage and Maul, because he hadnt used his lightsabers in over a decade. But that obviously doesnt mean his power or saber skill as of TCW & ROTS was intended to have decreased. If anything he was better then ever.

I know Maul isn't Sidious, but the same basic concept should still apply for him IMO.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.