Star Wars Myths: Darth Maul is not a true Sith Lord

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

YousufKhan1212
For a long time, people in the Star Wars fandom have spread many myths, one in particular is that Darth Maul is not a true Sith Lord. One of the reasons why this is common in fandom is because of a passage from the Darth Plagueis novel:

For more context for the passage, you can copy and paste it and you'll find the rest of the scene via google search if you don't own the novel itself. The crux of this scene is that Palpatine is telling Plagueis that he is training someone in the ways of the Sith to carry out their tasks and missions that they can't due to the risk of being caught and their grandplan being ruined, but Palpatine has not violated the rule of two because he didn't train an actual apprentice who could ever aspire to be a true Sith Lord, but just a disposable assassin. However, what fandom often forget is that Palpatine is a pathological liar, so what he says is often a lie, and what he says to Plagueis, his master, is dubious because Palpatine was planning on overthrowing Plagueis, not only because he had the goal of replacing him as the Sith master, but Plagueis being alive was incompatible to his vision for the Sith grand plan. Darth Plagueis is probably the absolute worst person for Palpatine to inform that he's training Maul to become a true Sith Lord because if that had happened, Plagueis would've either 1) killed Maul and develop a distrustful relationship with Palpatine from then on; 2) killed Maul and have a fight to the death with Palpatine, which at that point, would've likely resulted in Palpatine dying and Plagueis emerging victorious and alive; 3) had a fight to the death with Palpatine, which would've likely resulted in Palpatine dying and Plagueis emerging victorious and alive, and then replace Palpatine's role as Maul's Sith master.

Either way, the ramifications of dropping that bomb on Plagueis would've created various problematic scenarios for Palpatine (Maul dies in most of them, like he usually does), best case scenario is that Plagueis's trust in Palpatine would've been shaken so much he wouldn't have been able to kill him in the Star Wars reality that we're familiar with (or should I say two realities?), worst case scenario is that Palpatine dies by Plagueis's hand and we'd get something called The Tragedy of Darth Sidious the Fool, a story that Plagueis would be telling to people in an alternate reality. So usual, Palpatine lies to get his way. We know that Palpatine was lying to Plagueis because there are numerous sources, in-universe and out of universe, say otherwise. The Ultimate Visual Guide for instance, is very clear:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-BIwBn5DmXGk/XqshuD0jgrI/AAAAAAABAa4/scSNDxsY7V0GpQiavr3eFZCLTy4eQDazACK8BGAsYHg/s0/Star%2BWars%2BUVG%2B032-033.jpg

Note that the source above, is an out of universe source, not an in-universe source, which cements the notion that Palpatine's statement to Plagueis was a lie, not just because he is a notorious liar, but because in-universe character statements aren't infallible, nor are they always truthful. This passage from The Ultimate Visual Guide is talking specifically about Maul's duel with Palpatine on Hypori, which took place when Maul was 17 years old. Granted, it also says that Palpatine used Maul as a tool, but that's not mutually exclusive with it's statement that Maul was a true Sith Lord. Not to mention, virtually everyone who served or allied with Palpatine (e.g. Vader, Dooku, Talzin, Plagueis, Grievous and Ventress), were tools to Palpatine, in the sense that he used them to advance his own goals. Anyway, this source's explicit statement that Maul is a true Sith Lord is complimented by The Dark Side Sourcebook:

This source states that Maul officially became a Sith Lord known as Darth Maul, a Dark Lord of the Sith, once he passed his final test under Palpatine. This is reinforced even further here:

Like other quotes, this quote is commenting on Maul's upbringing under Palpatine, including his duel with Palpatine on Hypori, and it explicitly identifies Maul as a full fledged Sith and a Sith Lord.

I am aware that there are some LFL sources that describe Maul as a "Sith assassin," or simply as "assassin," rather than describing him as a Sith Lord. However, neither terms are mutually exclusive, Maul can be both a Sith Lord and also a Sith assassin and there's no contradiction, it's just a matter of different writers having different preferences on they want to describe Maul, trying to differentiate them is splitting hairs. There are a lot more sources talking about Maul's intellectual and combat prowess that further validate his position as a true Sith Lord, but I don't think it will be necessary to include them because they've been posted countless times by the likes of ILS and others, so I'll just be committing ad nauseam, and this post doesn't have enough space for them to begin with. The sources that I've included, I have never seen them posted on this site, so these sources could be considered new sources from a certain point of view.

In summary, Maul is a true Sith Lord because LFL sources have labelled him as a "true Sith Lord," "A full fledged Sith," and a "Dark Lord of the Sith," I hope that is crystal clear enough for everyone.

Eli Vanto
Nice breakdownthumb up

Same thing applies in canon right?

YousufKhan1212
Originally posted by Eli Vanto
Nice breakdownthumb up

Same thing applies in canon right?

Thank you. I forgot to mention that this is Legends only, but I do think it applies to canon because there are canon sources, e.g. StarWars.com, explicitly describing Maul as a Sith Lord.

quanchi112
Maul is a Sith Lord.

Scizard
A renegade Sith Lord post TPM. reading

Galan007
Originally posted by YousufKhan1212
but I do think it applies to canon because there are canon sources, e.g. StarWars.com, explicitly describing Maul as a Sith Lord. Ultimate Star Wars, and I Am Sith confirm the same. thumb up

ozz81
https://youtu.be/2DqXVe26Sio

At Galan will you classify that as a powerful feat ie Maul destroying hyperdrive of ship episode 12 ?

Galan007
Arguably his best TK feat, imo.

YousufKhan1212
Originally posted by Scizard
A renegade Sith Lord post TPM. reading

True, but he is still a Sith Lord post-TPM nonetheless, but he only ever stopped being a Sith post-RotS time period, and that was out of choice i.e. he voluntarily abandoned the Sith religion and gives up his Darth title.

Eli Vanto
So was Savage technically a Sith as well. since Maul took him as his apprentice?

Scizard
Originally posted by YousufKhan1212
True, but he is still a Sith Lord post-TPM nonetheless, but he only ever stopped being a Sith post-RotS time period, and that was out of choice i.e. he voluntarily abandoned the Sith religion and gives up his Darth title.
Ye.

YousufKhan1212
Originally posted by Eli Vanto
So was Savage technically a Sith as well. since Maul took him as his apprentice?

Yeah, several LFL sources actually identify Savage as a Sith apprentice.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.