Minneapolis disbands it's police force

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

emporerpants

Eon Blue

ArtificialGlory
Time to bring back the Pinkertons? No, but seriously, this is a VERY bad idea.

Artol
I'm interested in seeing what system they will come up with, the idea of splitting the functions of the police department into different institutions makes a lot of sense, I think. Of course if the return of funding to reasonable levels could have been done in a more orderly fashion that would have been better, but of course this isn't the first time and it's sort of come to a violent boil now. I presume a smaller core of trained and somewhat armed people that deal with violence will be necessary, but I think a lot of people hav realized that the militarization of the police and the limited democratic oversight has been a big problem and change is sorely needed. I hope it works out well for Minneapolis, and that there'll be new ideas that can be applied in other places.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Artol
I'm interested in seeing what system they will come up with, the idea of splitting the functions of the police department into different institutions makes a lot of sense, I think. Of course if the return of funding to reasonable levels could have been done in a more orderly fashion that would have been better, but of course this isn't the first time and it's sort of come to a violent boil now. I presume a smaller core of trained and somewhat armed people that deal with violence will be necessary, but I think a lot of people hav realized that the militarization of the police and the limited democratic oversight has been a big problem and change is sorely needed. I hope it works out well for Minneapolis, and that there'll be new ideas that can be applied in other places. Good post, me too. I think the US will progress to become more like the wealthier European Countries eventually.

Artol
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Good post, me too. I think the US will progress to become more like the wealthier European Countries eventually.

I hope so, it would be a better life for the citizens. Europe is by no means perfect however, and there's huge problems that need to be addressed there, too.

SquallX

Eon Blue
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Time to bring back the Pinkertons? No, but seriously, this is a VERY bad idea.

thumb up

Old Man Whirly!

Silent Master
I hope the democrat's are given 100% of the power, I want to see what kind of system they want in place, without any other group being able to taint it.

Bashar Teg
I read that they defunded, not disbanded. op link is 404 btw

Emmy Evangeline
It sounds like a city that has run out of options. To come to that decision is ludicrous. It's going to be a massive warzone.

Silent Master
The democrats know what they're doing.

Emmy Evangeline
Originally posted by Artol
I'm interested in seeing what system they will come up with, the idea of splitting the functions of the police department into different institutions makes a lot of sense, I think. Of course if the return of funding to reasonable levels could have been done in a more orderly fashion that would have been better, but of course this isn't the first time and it's sort of come to a violent boil now. I presume a smaller core of trained and somewhat armed people that deal with violence will be necessary, but I think a lot of people hav realized that the militarization of the police and the limited democratic oversight has been a big problem and change is sorely needed. I hope it works out well for Minneapolis, and that there'll be new ideas that can be applied in other places.

Are you saying we learn from their mistakes?

Emmy Evangeline
So it's racism as well?

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
I read that they defunded, not disbanded. op link is 404 btw Makes more sense.

jaden_2.0
If an administration can't find a middle ground between militaristic maniac police force that murders it's own citizenry and no police at all then they really need to be removed from office.

Adam_PoE
This is not new. Camden, New Jersey did it in 2013. They were one of the deadliest cities in America, and crime there has dropped precipitously.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
This is not new. Camden, New Jersey did it in 2013. They were one of the deadliest cities in America, and crime there has dropped precipitously. Fascinating, I just looked at pictues of this place... now that's a slum. Very sad America has places like Camden as large scale ghetto's.

dadudemon
This is not new. Camden, New Jersey did it in 2013. They were one of the deadliest cities in America, and crime there has dropped precipitously.

Read about that, too.

If no one is there to document crime and make arrests...then you'd see a drop in all crime stats, right?

To me, it seems like a stat that is too good to be true.

eThneoLgrRnae

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
Just ignore pooty and his anti-US trolling posts. It's obvious he's just jealous that the US is far superior to his shitty country. durwank

emporerpants
Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
Just ignore pooty and his anti-US trolling posts. It's obvious he's just jealous that the US is far superior to his shitty country.

Can you just not? Seriously. We almost got through a full page without personal attacks.

Surtur
Originally posted by dadudemon
Read about that, too.

If no one is there to document crime and make arrests...then you'd see a drop in all crime stats, right?

To me, it seems like a stat that is too good to be true.

As soon as I read this thread tittle I knew someone would not be able to help themselves in bringing up Camden. Did laugh.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Surtur
As soon as I read this thread tittle I knew someone would not be able to help themselves in bringing up Camden. Did laugh. is it the shithole it looks Surt?

Surtur
I have no problem with this as long as any increase in crime is laid squarely at the feet of the progressives who so stupidly called for it.

But see if it fails they will just blame racism. "Racist cops made us get rid of the cops in the first place" will be the excuse. Just like it is the excuse they will use if cases of the virus spike cuz of protests.

It has become all too predictable.

Old Man Whirly!
https://i.imgur.com/CxSxI7D.jpg

emporerpants
I read that they defunded, not disbanded. op link is 404 btw

Nope, they voted to totally disband the police.

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2020-06-08/minneapolis-council-members-pledge-to-disband-police-as-protests-mount

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/07/minneapolis-city-council-defund-police-george-floyd

Edit: Just checked those links and they currently work for me. Hopefully they work for you. If not, just do a quick Google, the story is all over the place.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by emporerpants

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2020-06-08/minneapolis-council-members-pledge-to-disband-police-as-protests-mount

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/07/minneapolis-city-council-defund-police-george-floyd wow, fair play thumb up

Surtur
Hey free tires! And I'm sure if the camera had pulled slightly back you would have seen the free pair of sneakers hanging from the power lines too.

Surtur
wow, fair play thumb up

Local criminals reacting to the news:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/cd/f6/dc/cdf6dc1245f6c62f99d49864d9c3ce9b.gif

Old Man Whirly!
Hey free tires! And I'm sure if the camera had pulled slightly back you would have seen the free pair of sneakers hanging from the power lines too. That's bad anywhere in the world, we have some communities like that too. But the buildings are not as run down.

Bashar Teg

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/07/minneapolis-city-council-defund-police-george-floyd

Edit: Just checked those links and they currently work for me. Hopefully they work for you. If not, just do a quick Google, the story is all over the place.

thanks for the update. i guess they decided to go all the way with this. hopefully they are doing this as a 'reboot' of their policing. could be a great idea, if they have the same obvious police corruption and police union corruption which we all witnessed in buffalo ny last week

Surtur
Just create robot police. Problem solved. And when they inevitably turn on and kill us they aren't going to discriminate.

BackFire
Train police much more. Make it much harder to be a police. Be more picky. Pay them more.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by BackFire
Train police much more. Make it much harder to be a police. Be more picky. Pay them more. thumb up the screening process is key for anything like this, it needs to be rigorous.

Robtard

quanchi112
The movement is on point and willfestroy trump this November. Ddm is going to lose the bet he arrogantly backed. Trump is a goner.

Robtard
thanks for the update. i guess they decided to go all the way with this. hopefully they are doing this as a 'reboot' of their policing. could be a great idea, if they have the same obvious police corruption and police union corruption which we all witnessed in buffalo ny last week

I believe this is what they'll do and it's not a "f**k it, lets see what happens" situation.

I forget which city that did this, the police force was disbanded and the officers had to reapply and they were reevaluated and retrained.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Robtard
How is that worse than what happened to George Floyd? it really isn't I know Berlin well and he needs to have been majorly "off piste" for this shit to go down anyway.Originally posted by quanchi112
The movement is on point and willfestroy trump this November. Ddm is going to lose the bet he arrogantly backed. Trump is a goner. I hope, he's on the ropes but not down. We cannot let up. But we all have to be careful worldwide, timing and accuracy, the orange buffoon is not Ali, but we don't want to end up rope a doped.

cdtm
Originally posted by Robtard
How is that worse than what happened to George Floyd?

Intent, I'd guess.

At least I'd hope they weren't actually trying to kill him.

quanchi112
it really isn't I know Berlin well and he needs to have been majorly "off piste" for this shit to go down anyway. I hope, he's on the ropes but not down. We cannot let up. But we all have to be careful worldwide, timing and accuracy, the orange buffoon is not Ali, but we don't want to end up rope a doped. I agree it is not over but this movement coupled with mail in ballots should soundly defeat him. I cannot wait to rub it in personally.

Surtur
Biden's campaign has come out and said he opposes defunding the cops.

Will be interesting to see what happens. We already saw how people melted down when the mayor refused to do it.

Surtur
Minneapolis City Council president says if you are concerned about not having any police, that 'comes from a place of privilege'

Lol you can't make this up.

emporerpants
Minneapolis City Council president says if you are concerned about not having any police, that 'comes from a place of privilege'

Lol you can't make this up.

Wow...thats pretty crazy. What, does she think violent crime will just cease to exist once the police are gone? Her comments almost make it seem like she wants people to just accept having crimes be comited against them. She doesn't inspire much confidence that there will be much in place to protect people. Thoughts?

Adam_PoE
What if we did not expect law enforcement to fix all of our societal failures?

ArtificialGlory
What if we did not expect law enforcement to fix all of our societal failures?
So just a better trained police force, then?

Adam_PoE
So just a better trained police force, then?

No, dividing its responsibilities into specialized departments that are better equipped to respond to different problems. There would be some law enforcement officers, but their responsibilities would be different, and by extension, their training would have to be different too. But it is what they did in Camden, and it works.

emporerpants
No, dividing its responsibilities into specialized departments that are better equipped to respond to different problems. There would be some law enforcement officers, but their responsibilities would be different, and by extension, their training would have to be different too. But it is what they did in Camden, and it works.

So will there be a force to respond to home invasions, investigate crime, respond to violent disturbances and deal with things like mass shooters? I feel this is the question that officials need to address, and so far they haven't. Especially the city council president. She seemed to imply that people should accept being victims of crime.

ArtificialGlory
That's all very reasonable, but that's still not abolishing the police. You still need the police for when shit gets hairy.

Adam_PoE
So will there be a force to respond to home invasions, investigate crime, respond to violent disturbances and deal with things like mass shooters? I feel this is the question that officials need to address, and so far they haven't. Especially the city council president. She seemed to imply that people should accept being victims of crime.

Yes.

Adam_PoE
That's all very reasonable, but that's still not abolishing the police. You still need the police for when shit gets hairy.

That is why abolish is a misnomer. It is really restructure/reform.

Old Man Whirly!
That is why abolish is a misnomer. It is really restructure/reform. tbh thought it probably was, so it's a more multi agency approach. Bound to work better then.

emporerpants
Yes.

Good. Thank you for answering.

emporerpants
That is why abolish is a misnomer. It is really restructure/reform.

I hope you are correct. The only thing I worry about is the fact that the council is saying they aren't going to piece the police back together or just restructure them, they want a more radical change than that. If they do just want to restructure, I feel they need to do a better job explaining that, and avoid saying the things some if them have been saying. An example of the wrong thing to say is in Surter's article.

But if they end up doing what you are saying Adam, then it could be helpful.

Surtur
Wow...thats pretty crazy. What, does she think violent crime will just cease to exist once the police are gone? Her comments almost make it seem like she wants people to just accept having crimes be comited against them. She doesn't inspire much confidence that there will be much in place to protect people. Thoughts?

It seems ridiculous and if the excuse is going to be "they mean they want reform not to actually get rid of cops" they need to change their rhetoric and quickly.

quanchi112
It seems ridiculous and if the excuse is going to be "they mean they want reform not to actually get rid of cops" they need to change their rhetoric and quickly. Nfl bent the knee you will soon, boy.

emporerpants
Originally posted by quanchi112
Nfl bent the knee you will soon, boy.

Can we have one thread without the baiting and games? I'd prefer if at least one damn thread can be discussed seriously, respectfully, and in good faith. Just. ****ing. Once. In other words, get the bullshit and games out of here Quan. There are plenty of threads to bait and troll in. Please dont do it in here. Discuss this legit please.

quanchi112
Can we have one thread without the baiting and games? I'd prefer if at least one damn thread can be discussed seriously, respectfully, and in good faith. Just. ****ing. Once. In other words, get the bullshit and games out of here Quan. There are plenty of threads to bait and troll in. Please dont do it in here. Discuss this legit please. Minneapolis took measures legally to enact change. It is their community and their right to do so. We will see going forward how effective it is in the future but if chauvin did not do what he did this would not be happening. Change is necessary.

Surtur
I think they are gonna alienate people if they don't get their message on track. Avoid words like defund, dismantle, abolish, etc.

If anything more money will be needed for better training. And to equip ALL cops with body cams.

emporerpants
Minneapolis took measures legally to enact change. It is their community and their right to do so. We will see going forward how effective it is in the future but if chauvin did not do what he did this would not be happening. Change is necessary.

Thank you for contributing legitimately. Sincerely. thumb up

Surtur
I think they are gonna alienate people if they don't get their message on track. Avoid words like defund, dismantle, abolish, etc.

If anything more money will be needed for better training. And to equip ALL cops with body cams.

I will also add, like I said in another thread, make it so only someone who is at the police station can disable the camera. Make the cops out in the field unable to turn off their own cameras.

quanchi112

If anything more money will be needed for better training. And to equip ALL cops with body cams. No one is arguing defund all police departments as a whole. This is only Minneapolis and what other city decides to do so is their right. This movement is changing the world. Change is never easy but it is necessary.

Adam_PoE
I hope you are correct. The only thing I worry about is the fact that the council is saying they aren't going to piece the police back together or just restructure them, they want a more radical change than that. If they do just want to restructure, I feel they need to do a better job explaining that, and avoid saying the things some if them have been saying. An example of the wrong thing to say is in Surter's article.

But if they end up doing what you are saying Adam, then it could be helpful.

You cannot just piece the police back together. There are too many bad officers with bad training. That would just be shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. It needs to be overhauled. So there will still be law enforcement officers, but their roles will be different, and their training will be different, and people will need to be evaluated for these new roles.

Surtur
And also make it so if some prick cop gets fired in one city he can't just move to a city in a different state and get another job as a cop.

quanchi112
You cannot just piece the police back together. There are too many bad officers with bad training. That would just be shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. It needs to be overhauled. So there will still be law enforcement officers, but their roles will be different, and their training will be different, and people will need to be evaluated for these new roles. thumb up

Old Man Whirly!
And also make it so if some prick cop gets fired in one city he can't just move to a city in a different state and get another job as a cop. I actually agree with that.Originally posted by Adam_PoE
You cannot just piece the police back together. There are too many bad officers with bad training. That would just be shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. It needs to be overhauled. So there will still be law enforcement officers, but their roles will be different, and their training will be different, and people will need to be evaluated for these new roles. I agree with that and I also agree with Quan, there, we can all get along sometimes.

quanchi112
And also make it so if some prick cop gets fired in one city he can't just move to a city in a different state and get another job as a cop. The Justice in Policing Act of 2020 would ban chokeholds, establish a national database to track police misconduct and prohibit certain no-knock warrants, among a variety of steps.

In the democratic reform bill. Love that you love the Dems ideas.

emporerpants
You cannot just piece the police back together. There are too many bad officers with bad training. That would just be shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. It needs to be overhauled. So there will still be law enforcement officers, but their roles will be different, and their training will be different, and people will need to be evaluated for these new roles.

Thanks for the clarification. thumb up Sounds promising.

Surtur
The Justice in Policing Act of 2020 would ban chokeholds, establish a national database to track police misconduct and prohibit certain no-knock warrants, among a variety of steps.

In the democratic reform bill. Love that you love the Dems ideas.

I don't disagree with or agree with 100% of any one sides ideas.

quanchi112
I don't disagree with or agree with 100% of any one sides ideas. You endorsing their idea is a win for me.

Surtur
It wasn't their idea though, I've mentioned it it before.

They are endorsing my attack, and I will allow it thumb up

BrolyBlack
Has this happened?

snowdragon
Originally posted by BrolyBlack
Has this happened?

Nope and additional video footage has been released that showed Floyd resisted getting into the police vehicles rear seat and front seat, looks like our media fooked up again with their narrative.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.