Can we live by Natural Law?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BrolyBlack
And get rid of community policing?

Eon Blue
With the way things have been going and human nature being what it is? No: policing serves a very important and integral structure within the social infrastructure of society. Removing these elements will result in ensuing chaos.

ilikecomics
I think police are necessary, but not it's not necessary for them to be employed by the state, which is what i think is the problem

One solution could be that each neighborhood elects a cop from their neighborhood and you can only be a cop for a limited time. Similar to how some countries have compulsory military service, but instead, it would like long term civil service, similar to jury duty.

Stringer

BrolyBlack

SquallX

Mindship
Humans are not rational creatures that often become emotional.
We are emotional creatures that sometimes are rational.
Thus, power corrupts.

Can we live by natural law?
No freakin' way.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Mindship
Thus, power corrupts.

No freakin' way. thumb up

ilikecomics
"If the police is not employed by the state, who’s employs them? Better yet, what stops them from becoming a corrupt institution being runs by gangsters?"

Im confused why you think the single attribute of being employed by the state keeps cops honest. Do you think fedex or ups workers are less trustworty than state employed mail men?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Mindship
Thus, power corrupts.

No freakin' way.

Mindship got his words from me: he clearly didn't come up with this on his own. uhuh

SquallX
Originally posted by ilikecomics
"If the police is not employed by the state, who’s employs them? Better yet, what stops them from becoming a corrupt institution being runs by gangsters?"

Im confused why you think the single attribute of being employed by the state keeps cops honest. Do you think fedex or ups workers are less trustworty than state employed mail men?

My point is who stops them when they commit a crime? Do we have another set of police to police the police?

If the police is no more, then the FBI, CIA, and every other law enforcement should also be remove.

Theres a reason Hoover was feared. For a time, he answered to no one but himself, because he controlled the agency fully.

ilikecomics
Originally posted by SquallX
My point is who stops them when they commit a crime? Do we have another set of police to police the police?

If the police is no more, then the FBI, CIA, and every other law enforcement should also be remove.

Theres a reason Hoover was feared. For a time, he answered to no one but himself, because he controlled the agency fully.

A president of the u.s. is one of. If not, the most powerful station in the world. To limit the maddening effects of this unbound power term limits were set, and two other branches of gov. Established to balance it.

If you understand that the most powerful station in the world can be assumed then balanced(with ovbious exceptions, as you mentioned hoover) but mostly it's balanced and america has had nothing close to the stalin, mao, hitler, regime and that's because the aforementioned controls. So if the presdient can exist reasonably then similar limits may help cops.

The main thing is that every individual citizen must be responsible, which extends to protecting yourself either through guns or karate or a dog or whatever, in the same way the founding fathers assumed America's population would be mostly informed, and when 1 in 5 has an iq of 85 and 70 iq is down syndrome level, we know that paradigm isnt being filled.

So instead of being a career cop as a choice, because there's great incentive to do so, you could make it like jury duty. If everyone knew that they or someone in their family could be the cop pulling them over, maybe shit wouldnt escalate as often, and if the cop knows being a cop is a burden of responsibility no a privilege of power, maybe the cop wont power trip and do something stupid. This would also make each individual jury duty style cop maintain allegiance to their families and neighborhood instead of their badge.

Also, im just spitballing with one possibility, i just think if you understand why term limits are critical to limit power madness then that would apply to cops.

SquallX

dadudemon

ilikecomics
Im saying that being a cop shouldn't have huge incentives. Look at being a firefighter or an emt, they get great benefits and work for the gov. Why arent they corrupt? Do you think firemen or emts would act any different if employed by a private hospital vs. A public one?

dadudemon
Im saying that being a cop shouldn't have huge incentives. Look at being a firefighter or an emt, they get great benefits and work for the gov. Why arent they corrupt? Do you think firemen or emts would act any different if employed by a private hospital vs. A public one?

There is corruption in those orgs, for sure. Just not as rampant as police.

Police attracts power. And power attracts corruption.

ilikecomics
Originally posted by dadudemon
There is corruption in those orgs, for sure. Just not as rampant as police.

Police attracts power. And power attracts corruption.

Didnt know the first part, do you think lack of coverage on emt/firefighter corruption is politically motivated the same way over coverage on particular police shootings are ? Or do you think the incentives for being a cop select for negative personality traits like anti social tendencies, in a way emts/firefighters dont.

If the station of cop gives more power then it reminds me of how twitter is used to recruit western incels into isis because becoming a muslim is as simple as saying you are out loud and the reward is that you instantly have dominion over muslim women, become a philosopher and noble warrior.
These western men becoming muslims because of this would be analogous to unstable people joining the police force because personal gain, as opposed to a sense of duty.

dadudemon
Didnt know the first part, do you think lack of coverage on emt/firefighter corruption is politically motivated the same way over coverage on particular police shootings are ?

It just simply doesn't get coverage. This site breaks down fire department corruption in very specific and detailed terms:

https://www.subburndown.com/is-slo-city-fd-corrupt-fire-department/

Or do you think the incentives for being a cop select for negative personality traits like anti social tendencies, in a way emts/firefighters dont.

Due to the power police have over the people, the violence that can come from interacting with the police, and the type of people the police force can attract (power hungry sadists, racists, etc.), you'll have far more abuses of power and corruption than with FDs. Someone who wants to be a fireman are literally in it for a job that is directly about saving people and property. Police are more about interacting with bad guys and catching the bad guys. The entire approach, from a psychological perception, is almost exactly the opposite.

Also, the people are far more likely to remember a bad experience with a cop than a fireman. The cop may have been there to arrest them, falsely accuse them of a crime, write a citation. A fireman may say they cannot climb on top of a building to rescue a cat due to building code or something silly. Completely different scenarios where someone is either traumatized or the other is just slightly buttmad. You can see why corruption would stand out much more with police than FDs. FDs corruption can be cutting corners and having lavish lunches, dinners, and "training" retreats. Police corruption is like sprinkling crack on a guy you just knocked out because he disrespected your badge.

ilikecomics
It just simply doesn't get coverage. This site breaks down fire department corruption in very specific and detailed terms:

https://www.subburndown.com/is-slo-city-fd-corrupt-fire-department/

Due to the power police have over the people, the violence that can come from interacting with the police, and the type of people the police force can attract (power hungry sadists, racists, etc.), you'll have far more abuses of power and corruption than with FDs. Someone who wants to be a fireman are literally in it for a job that is directly about saving people and property. Police are more about interacting with bad guys and catching the bad guys. The entire approach, from a psychological perception, is almost exactly the opposite.

Also, the people are far more likely to remember a bad experience with a cop than a fireman. The cop may have been there to arrest them, falsely accuse them of a crime, write a citation. A fireman may say they cannot climb on top of a building to rescue a cat due to building code or something silly. Completely different scenarios where someone is either traumatized or the other is just slightly buttmad. You can see why corruption would stand out much more with police than FDs. FDs corruption can be cutting corners and having lavish lunches, dinners, and "training" retreats. Police corruption is like sprinkling crack on a guy you just knocked out because he disrespected your badge.

Great post, man rock

dadudemon
Great post, man rock

https://i.imgur.com/OzHX4fG.gif

Thanks, dude!

ilikecomics
https://i.imgur.com/OzHX4fG.gif

Thanks, dude!

I have a galaxy quest patch that i sewed on my favorite hat!

dadudemon
Galaxy Quest was one of those movies that just...snuck up on everyone. We didn't know it would be good. Didn't know it would form a cult following. But it just happened.

It's still solid as a parody, even to today.

ilikecomics
Some lists of star trek movies include it. Parody is better than satire most of the time to me because usually parody signals that it loves the source material, while satire seems jaded.

BrolyBlack
We should kill retirement and pension benefits for federal-level elected officials, then.

The elected office already provides "a sense of pride and accomplishment," right?

https://i.imgur.com/urNse25.gif

laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.