Should social media be regulated?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
As important as big companies like Twitter or Facebook are to the global economy, and as the owners can't seem to make up their minds whether they're a publisher or a platform, maybe its time for regulators to step in, for the common good.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by cdtm
As important as big companies like Twitter or Facebook are to the global economy, and as the owners can't seem to make up their minds whether they're a publisher or a platform, maybe its time for regulators to step in, for the common good. Yes, fact checking and algorithms to prevent radicalisation from mildly extreme content like Ben Shapiro to highly far right content needs to be ensured. At the moment the opposite is happening leading to the rise of far right incels who support Trumps racism.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Yes, fact checking and algorithms to prevent radicalisation from mildly extreme content like Ben Shapiro to highly far right content needs to be ensured. At the moment the opposite is happening leading to the rise of far right incels who support Trumps racism.

Disagree with everything, here.

I'm going to go ahead and create an AI that pushes only the facts that support the abortion of all black and Hispanic people. And then use my money to ensure this is the narrative I want the world to know.

Sounds good? Great. Implementing now.

Or, perhaps, we could stop with the "fact checkers" who are clearly biased? Seems like a better option than regulating what are facts and what are not.

cdtm
Yes, fact checking and algorithms to prevent radicalisation from mildly extreme content like Ben Shapiro to highly far right content needs to be ensured. At the moment the opposite is happening leading to the rise of far right incels who support Trumps racism.

I said as much on CNBC's Youtube channel.

And "I" get called a rightest facist for it.

Uh, last I checked, "Ma Freeeedoms" is their position. Not regulation.

Maybe most of the people on these Youtube channels are just Libertarians in Liberals clothing?

SquallX

Bashar Teg
As important as big companies like Twitter or Facebook are to the global economy, and as the owners can't seem to make up their minds whether they're a publisher or a platform, maybe its time for regulators to step in, for the common good.

far past time, imho

thumb up

REXXXX
I agree to an extent. While I don't feel there should be limitations on our ability to express ourselves, I do feel that the social media platforms bear responsibility for the spread of extremist content on their platforms and their jump into the real world.

That's the policy we took with the forums 10-15 years ago, though this isn't quite the same as, say, Instagram or Facebook.

Unfortunately, one side or the other will now simply say that the platform is biased against them.

Eon Blue
Originally posted by REXXXX
I agree to an extent. While I don't feel there should be limitations on our ability to express ourselves, I do feel that the social media platforms bear responsibility for the spread of extremist content on their platforms and their jump into the real world.

That's the policy we took with the forums 10-15 years ago, though this isn't quite the same as, say, Instagram or Facebook.

Unfortunately, one side or the other will now simply say that the platform is biased against them.

The prodigal son returns, at last.

REXXXX
Three months of pandemic-related unemployment and you get bored.

Eon Blue
Three months of pandemic-related unemployment and you get bored.

I feel you. Every day is a repeat of the last with minor changes. Stay well.

Stringer

REXXXX
Originally posted by Eon Blue
I feel you. Every day is a repeat of the last with minor changes. Stay well.

Thank you!

Stringer - Care to elaborate on your comment there? It seems fairly pointed.

BackFire

REXXXX
Meh. I shared my thoughts above. I just don't use it often and stick to my bubbles (which in itself is part of the problem but I'm not the person to change it).

Stringer

REXXXX
Cool, dude. I'd rather have job security and know what I'm doing past July.

Enjoy a week off.

Bashar Teg
I was furloughed for a few weeks then brought back on. I hate having nothing to do regardless of pay. some co-workers decided they wanted to stay out of work and collect. dumbasses.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by dadudemon
Disagree with everything, here.

I'm going to go ahead and create an AI that pushes only the facts that support the abortion of all black and Hispanic people. And then use my money to ensure this is the narrative I want the world to know.

Sounds good? Great. Implementing now.

Or, perhaps, we could stop with the "fact checkers" who are clearly biased? Seems like a better option than regulating what are facts and what are not. Truly not surprised DDMOriginally posted by cdtm
I said as much on CNBC's Youtube channel.

And "I" get called a rightest facist for it.

Uh, last I checked, "Ma Freeeedoms" is their position. Not regulation.

Maybe most of the people on these Youtube channels are just Libertarians in Liberals clothing? I think most of them are more like Tim Pool or some members here and employing a technique called "hard face, black heart." These people are not prepared to identify as the far right. However it is what they are.Originally posted by REXXXX

Unfortunately, one side or the other will now simply say that the platform is biased against them. I think free speech is fine, however the algorithms that draw people towards ever more extreme content need replacing. I looked up Jorda Peterson once, and yes his views were as simplistic and retarded as I expected. However after it I had all these KKK and far right videos appear on my youtube feed I had to hit not interested for weeks afterwards.Originally posted by Bashar Teg
far past time, imho

thumb up my thoughts too.

dadudemon
Truly not surprised DDM

Not surprised I don't support controlling what the "truth" is because I fear what the other side looks like if they are in control?

Enjoy a week off.

I was wondering what happened to Stringer.

I'm with you and PVS - I'd go insane if I got furloughed. I cannot stand being off of work beyond 3-4 days.

ares834
Should social media be regulated?

No.

Eon Blue
Social media should not be regulated.

Silent Master
It's already being regulated.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Silent Master
It's already being regulated. true, just not enough.

Eon Blue

SquallX

Surtur
Only unlawful speech should be removed. This should be the standard they are made to follow.

I'd love someone to come argue why there should be any other standard.

BackFire

Blakemore
I consider forums like KMC a proto-social media

Surtur
I mean what is so wild and crazy about a block feature? Don't like the shit being said? Block the person.

Why is this not enough?

Old Man Whirly!
Yeah but most of the alt right here started with the soft stuff like Ben Shapiro, a few turns of the algorithm later and they are full on proud boys.

Surtur
Yeah but most of the alt right here started with the soft stuff like Ben Shapiro, a few turns of the algorithm later and they are full on proud boys.

Dude, stop the retarded shit. It's embarrassing.

Old Man Whirly!
Katie Hopkins permanently removed from Twitter

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/jun/19/katie-hopkins-permanently-removed-from-twitter?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy

Hero to many here, I know you like her Surt
and so does Ethneo. Good stuff.

Surtur
And I do love being superior to those who agree with her removal too.

Good stuff indeed thumb up

Old Man Whirly!

Surtur

Blakemore
Whirly, are you in the "I have a degree" tier? Because I am too big grin

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Blakemore
Whirly, are you in the "I have a degree" tier? Because I am too big grin I have a few smile Good to know mate thumb up

Surtur
In this case u should downplay having a degree tho.

It's like if someone says 2+2=5 and then brags they are a math teacher

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Surtur
Kiddo, I don't care what degrees you have. You're inferior if you get on board with this, sorry. Pretty sure you were a big fan of Milo too...

Old Man Whirly!
In this case u should downplay having a degree tho.

It's like if someone says 2+2=5 and then brags they are a math teacher Good Universities too Surt... smile

Surtur
You're compounding it though, making yourself look worse due to the inferiority.

Old Man Whirly!
You're compounding it though, making yourself look worse due to the inferiority. little set of questions for you Surt do you consider Hopkins and Milo to be far right?

Were you a fan?

Are you still a fan?

Do you agree with them on most things?

Blakemore
Surtur, I'm sorry but having gone from many different classes in my life, I can tell you that people with degree tier qualification at minimum, is the best kind of people to be around.

No joke.

Surtur
Been a while since I've seen videos by any of them

but they don't deserve to be banned from twitter, etc.

and good thing you're not weak enough to feel they should thumb up

Surtur
Surtur, I'm sorry but having gone from many different classes in my life, I can tell you that people with degree tier qualification at minimum, is the best kind of people to be around.

No joke.

this is a good post bro, even though they've really made fun of you a lot in the past this will get some approval and a thumbs up

you're gonna get your scraps tossed to you bro, be ready

Old Man Whirly!

No joke. Generally I agree, I enjoy nothing more than polite conversation with tolerant people. thumb up

Surtur
Generally I agree, I enjoy nothing more than polite conversation with tolerant people. thumb up

And there we go, as predicted smile

Old Man Whirly!
Been a while since I've seen videos by any of them

but they don't deserve to be banned from twitter, etc.

and good thing you're not weak enough to feel they should thumb up Surt, were you a fan, are you a fan and have you mostly agreed with their views? Yes or no?

Robtard
Katie Hopkins permanently removed from Twitter

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/jun/19/katie-hopkins-permanently-removed-from-twitter?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy

Hero to many here, I know you like her Surt
and so does Ethneo. Good stuff.

And The Far-Right loses again. A win for the majority of the world.

Surtur
Oh I think both can be funny as hell

And I think anyone triggered by them is a child occupying an adults body

Old Man Whirly!
And there we go, as predicted smile I've never been.unpleasant to Blakemore or his previous accounts mate. He's a good guy imo.

Blakemore
Generally I agree, I enjoy nothing more than polite conversation with tolerant people. thumb up IE people who can think.

I'm a graduate and it's so obvious who is a graduate and who isn't. JFC

Surtur
Lol...

Old Man Whirly!

And I think anyone triggered by them is a child occupying an adults body Not what I asked are you a fan, were you a fan, do you still hold similar views?

Robtard

And I think anyone triggered by them is a child occupying an adults body

Was it funny when Milo defended pedos and attacked the victims of pedophilia as whiners? I found that deplorable.

Surtur
Not what I asked are you a fan, were you a fan, do you still hold similar views?

Just told you: I find them funny at times.

Bro, grow a sac and make a point if you have one smile

Silent Master

No joke.

Ted Kaczynski
H. H. Holmes
Michael Swango
Rodney Alcala
Timothy Krajcir
Andrei Chikatilo

Blakemore
Surt, I have a degree.

It's a shit low one, (bad times) but it's still a pass. I hung it on my wall.

Anyway, I still regret not persuing science or music which I probably should've. We all make mistakes.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Robtard
Was it funny when Milo defended pedos and attacked the victims of pedophilia as whiners? I found that deplorable. I'm pretty sure Surt has said along the lines of his views aligned with Milo and Hopkins at separate times Rob. Pretty sure he was a big fan of Milo, who is far right.

Blakemore
Ted Kaczynski
H. H. Holmes
Michael Swango
Rodney Alcala
Timothy Krajcir
Andrei Chikatilo idk any of those people

Surtur
Surt, I have a degree.

It's a shit low one, (bad times) but it's still a pass. I hung it on my wall.

Anyway, I still regret not persuing science or music which I probably should've. We all make mistakes.

What I'm saying is you should burn your degree right now if you feel having a degree in itself makes one intelligent.

Surtur
idk any of those people

Just google the top name, it'll be funny

Old Man Whirly!
Surt, why are you avoiding answering this question.

Robtard
I'm pretty sure Surt has said along the lines of his views aligned with Milo and Hopkins at separate times Rob. Pretty sure he was a big fan of Milo, who is far right.

He would constantly post Milo commentary and laugh and agree. Seems like a fan to me.

Silent Master
idk any of those people

According to you, they're the best kind of people to be around.

Surtur
Oh? Okay. Show the last Milo video I've posted.

This will be good smile

Robtard
Oh? Okay. Show the last Milo video I've posted.

This will be good smile

You're agreeing that you used to post Milo commentary. So that's enough.

Old Man Whirly!
He would constantly post Milo commentary and laugh and agree. Seems like a fan to me. Me too, seems like shared far right views to me. Interesting. I have a feeling about Hopkins "final solution" too, but I would need to confirm, not 100% sure.

Surtur
Okay I acknowledge your loss. Moving on.

Blakemore
oh get a degree then be a terrorist. ok

Surtur
oh get a degree then be a terrorist. ok

No more just "anyone who thinks having a degree makes them better is in fact an inferior soul"

that's not you right, so no worries

Robtard
Me too, seems like shared far right views to me. Interesting. I have a feeling about Hopkins "final solution" too, but I would need to confirm, not 100% sure.

Don't feel like reading back, but why are Surt and SM mad that Blackmore has some degree?

Blakemore
**** you robtard

Old Man Whirly!
Okay I acknowledge your loss. Moving on. Always amuses me Surt when you agree with these far right people then claim you aren't far right.

Surtur
Don't feel like reading back, but why are Surt and SM mad that Blackmore has some degree?

I'm gonna allow this lie, and I will allow Whirly to encourage it.

I'm nice smile

Blakemore
Don't feel like reading back, but why are Surt and SM mad that Blackmore has some degree? XD blackmore? laughing out loud

Surtur
Always amuses me Surt when you agree with these far right people then claim you aren't far right.

Your inferiority in these trolling attempts always makes me laugh.

Surtur
XD blackmore? laughing out loud

I mean bro u got a degree! They should get your name right

Old Man Whirly!
Don't feel like reading back, but why are Surt and SM mad that Blackmore has some degree? Surt commented he was Superior, inferring intellectually and in life. I could have gone the old route but really can't be assed, so I mentioned degree, Blakemore agreed people with degrees are generally good people, open to ideas etc. These guys got cross. It's really a deflection from Surts far right leanings.

Surtur
Surt commented he was Superior, inferring intellectually and in life. I could have gone the old route but really can't be assed, so I mentioned degree, Blakemore agreed people with degrees are generally could people, open to ideas etc. These guys got cross. It's really a deflection from Surts far right leanings.

Oh, I'm saying flat out: I am better than anyone who thinks I am far right/alt right/whatever

Better. Period smile

Robtard
I mean bro u got a degree! They should get your name right

^ See?

You're coming off as jealous again.

Blakemore
I don't really have a degree. I just kiss up to people in America who I don't know very well.

Makes much more sense doesn't it, dickhead?

Old Man Whirly!
Oh, I'm saying flat out: I am better than anyone who thinks I am far right/alt right/whatever

Better. Period smile Do you align with Hopkins and Milo Surt?

Robtard
Surt commented he was Superior, inferring intellectually and in life. I could have gone the old route but really can't be assed, so I mentioned degree, Blakemore agreed people with degrees are generally good people, open to ideas etc. These guys got cross. It's really a deflection from Surts far right leanings.

Ah, the ole delusions of grandeur with a side of being triggered by the college educated. Same/same

Surtur
^ See?

You're coming off as jealous again.

Lol, nah, I'm mocking you guys.

But you're too cowardly and disingenuous to acknowledge it. It's part of your shtick.

Surtur
I don't really have a degree. I just kiss up to people in America who I don't know very well.

Makes much more sense doesn't it, dickhead?

Bro they don't like you. They never will. Cuck less thumb up

Old Man Whirly!

Makes much more sense doesn't it, dickhead? thumb up laughing out loud

Old Man Whirly!
Bro they don't like you. They never will. Cuck less thumb up I do.

Surtur
I do.

Lol no, you don't. You're lying. We all know how you view Blakemore, but you're pathetic enough to pretend to like him if he says shit you agree with.

Will he be sad enough to fall for it? Who knows.

Robtard
Lol, nah, I'm mocking you guys.

But you're too cowardly and disingenuous to acknowledge it. It's part of your shtick.

Lots of Surt wins today then?

Blakemore
You're slipping towards Supra tier, Surtur.

Old Man Whirly!
Lol no, you don't. You're lying. We all know how you view Blakemore, but you're pathetic enough to pretend to like him if he says shit you agree with.

Will he be sad enough to fall for it? Who knows. You're wrong, I actually dislike very few people. I don't even dislike you, I find you quite amusing off politics and things where you aren't being heartless about people with difficult circumstances.

Surtur
Lots of Surt wins today then?

Lol just calling out your games. Sorry if it bugs you smile

Silent Master
Geez, why is everyone so mad today?

Surtur
You're wrong, I actually dislike very few people. I don't even dislike you, I find you quite amusing off politics and things where you aren't being heartless about people with difficult circumstances.

Lol, you guys treat blakemore like the class clown tho. Dog him, call him a pedo, then praise him when he says something you agree with.

I don't know why u wanna pretend otherwise, but okay

Old Man Whirly!
Lots of Surt wins today then? No idea hardly been on sadly, not enough time today but, I imagine so, it's Friday Rob.... and on that note, early night needed.

Surtur
Geez, why is everyone so mad today?

They don't need a reason other than "Trump is president".

Old Man Whirly!
Lol, you guys treat blakemore like the class clown tho. Dog him, call him a pedo, then praise him when he says something you agree with.

I don't know why u wanna pretend otherwise, but okay not me mate, sorry.

Surtur
not me mate, sorry.

lol okay you must have a split personality

Robtard
Used to. But he's come clean, apologized for shitty behavior and admitted his racist trolling was just a shit thing to do.

Why are you so mad at him though, when you used to be friends?

Surtur
Used to. But he's come clean, apologized for shitty behavior and admitted his racist trolling was just a shit thing to do.

Why are you so mad at him though, when you used to be friends?

I have no anger towards him.

I am just correcting him on his views towards what having a degree means. It's called helping smile

Blakemore
For once I'm not getting the abuse whilst being drunk smile

Surtur
I don't think there is any abuse going on Blake.

Just some enlightenment.

Also, ur drunk?

Surtur
what chu drinkin

Robtard
I have no anger towards him.

I am just correcting him on his views towards what having a degree means. It's called helping smile

Doesn't sound like it...

But have you considered taking a lesson from Blackemoore and reforming your poor views? Think about it.

Surtur
Doesn't sound like it...

But have you considered taking a lesson from Blackemoore and reforming your poor views? Think about it.

I think you guys should be ashamed of the way you are treating him.

You called him a pedo for years, but you change your stance when he says shit you agree with.

You're literally using him in order to make a point. And you know he'll let you cuz he wants acceptance. Shame on you Rob.

Blakemore
I'm not anti-alt-right because I have da degreeze it cos I is membaing that tymeze wenz i had da libtard viewz as a kidz

Or I just thought "I don't want people lumping me in with racist creationist morons who genuinely hate anyone who isn't white....

Blakemore
ironically, i want more drink.

Surtur
I'm not anti-alt-right because I have da degreeze it cos I is membaing that tymeze wenz i had da libtard viewz as a kidz

Or I just thought "I don't want people lumping me in with racist creationist morons who genuinely hate anyone who isn't white....

Bro I'm proud of you for having a degree.

I just think your experiences are anecdotal.

Surtur
ironically, i want more drink.

what chu sipping on?!

Blakemore
well i was drinking vodka and oj but imma have to maybe get that again because gin is more expensive

Blakemore
they ****ing put the price of gin way up the bastards

Surtur
well i was drinking vodka and oj but imma have to maybe get that again because gin is more expensive

bro u killed oj and are drinking his blood?

hardcore

Surtur
it occurs to me u might have meant orange juice

but i hope u didnt, did u juice tha juice?!

Blakemore
kek my arse says ty

Surtur
umm what

Surtur
u butt chugging stuff?

Robtard
I think you guys should be ashamed of the way you are treating him.

You called him a pedo for years, but you change your stance when he says shit you agree with.

You're literally using him in order to make a point. And you know he'll let you cuz he wants acceptance. Shame on you Rob.

Dude, you recently started calling him a pedo...

Drop the act, no one's buying.

Surtur
Dude, you recently started calling him a pedo...

Drop the act, no one's buying.

I'm not gas lighting him like u guys tho, I think he probably knows that

dadudemon
Guys...guys...

I will go back to college (graduate school) to get 2 masters. 1 inCCybersecurity and maybe 1 in Business Administration. Because I want 2 more pieces of paper that indicate I'm an academic machine. Not kidding. People respect degrees - it requires work. Especially graduate degrees.

Post-secondary education may be a waning educational endeavor, but there are still legit reasons to pursue it.

Old Man Whirly!
https://www.wsj.com/articles/facebook-knows-it-encourages-division-top-executives-nixed-solutions-11590507499?mod=hp_lead_pos5

Surtur
So you feel social media should be regulated?

Old Man Whirly!
The Guardian view on Facebook and democracy: real and present danger

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/05/the-guardian-view-on-facebook-and-democracy-real-and-present-danger?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy

Surtur
So you feel social media should be regulated?

samhain
It should be obliterated.

Surtur
It's just strange to me that when conservatives complain about social media the response is "muh private company" and then the same side saying that turns around and cries Facebook doesn't censor enough people and ads and floats vague notions about how the government needs to do something about it if Facebook won't.

But we do have more evidence of bias:

Slate tweeted out "Non-violence is an important tool for protests, but so is violence."

https://twitter.com/Slate/status/1268415955937513473

It's over a month old. Not removed. Not censored in any way.

Someone come say twitter ain't bias smile

Surtur
Both sides seem to want regulation in some form, but one seems to want more speech allowed and one wants less speech allowed.

dadudemon
Originally posted by samhain
It should be obliterated.

Okay, Hillary Clinton.

(Around the 1:00 mark)

08n4bj1Mz4A

samhain
Originally posted by dadudemon
Okay, Hillary Clinton.

(Around the 1:00 mark)

08n4bj1Mz4A

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. big grin

samhain
Unless it's the hands that are broken that is.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by samhain
It should be obliterated. thumb up

Scribble
Whirly, you're really giving me "Evangelical parents who think D&D is Satanism" vibes these days. Except now it's "WhatsApp is Nazism", which is just as funny and just as silly.

eThneoLgrRnae
Hillary Clinton of all people standing up for Israel. Well, now I've seen it all lol.

dadudemon
Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
Hillary Clinton of all people standing up for Israel. Well, now I've seen it all lol.

Hillary is a populist. In 2008, showing solidarity with Israel was important to appeal to voters based on the current political landscape.

eThneoLgrRnae
Hillary? A populist? Sorry, I call BS on that, DDD. Trump is a populist. Hillary is a part of the establishment elite.

Perhaps you could argue she used to be but that was a long time ago. Honestly though, I don't see how anyone could ever see her as being a populist.

dadudemon
Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
Hillary? A populist? Sorry, I call BS on that, DDD. Trump is a populist. Hillary is a part of the establishment elite.

It's what she tried to do in 2016, as well. It is also why she failed:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2016/05/02/hillary-clinton-trump-sanders-free-trade-global-economy-column/83662854/

Mindship
Yes, imo it should, but the devil's in the details.

I think people should also be better educated, and frequently reminded, about the dangers of social media.

Maybe social media sites should come with warning labels.

Surtur
I say just ban illegal speech(inciting violence, etc.) and allow all other speech. And obviously let people block/mute/whatever whoever they want.

Old Man Whirly!

Old Man Whirly!
Two-year audit praises some decisions but criticises lack of action over Trump posts

Surtur
Sadly I think sooner or later facebook will fully bend the knee.

Old Man Whirly!
Yeah, with great advertising revenue comes great responsibility and the last bastion (apart from youtube) of bile and repelling algorithns will be gone... Thank God!

Surtur
Yeah, with great advertising revenue comes great responsibility and the last bastion (apart from youtube) of bile and repelling algorithns will be gone... Thank God!

U remind me of all the people that were cheering as Palpatine declared himself emperor.

Old Man Whirly!
U remind me of all the people that were cheering as Palpatine declared himself emperor. Funny I see myself more as v holding the Voice to account for it's gaslighting and misinformation.

Robtard

Old Man Whirly!

Surtur

Old Man Whirly!
No it's not, but because I'm a nice guy not only will I allow the lie...I'll allow whirly to embarrass himself cheerleading it smile I'll bite if not these two events what did trigger you Surt shifty

Robtard
Yeah Rob, I don't think this helped!

Remember, a private business can do whatever** it wants, even open discrimination, as the free-market will sort it all out.

**Unless that business does something they don't agree with, like banning Nazis

Surtur
That's the problem: the very notion anything triggered me was a lie.

So sorry this happened smile

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>