Most overrated MU character?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BrolyBlack
Hulk
Thor
Surfer
Ironman
Gladiator

deft
Hulk and Thor.

BrolyBlack
Based on?

HulkIsHulk
Quan?

Diesldude

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by BrolyBlack
Hulk
Thor
Surfer
Ironman

MCU?

Surfer doesn't exist in the MCU.

Or you meant the MU?

BrolyBlack
Yes sorry, MU

StiltmanFTW
Thor is no longer overrated, at least on KMC... as we all realized he is a punching bag.

So, I'd say Surfer.

Iron Man is criminally underrated, if anything. People downplay his versatility and physical strength.

Enzeru

cdtm
All of them.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by cdtm
Iron Fist.

celeyhyga17
So far it's been Hulk.
KO'd by Tony's Hulkbuster suit.
Was getting his arse kicked by Thor during Ragnarok and needed help from Grandmaster to win.
He was absolutley punked by Thanos, to the point that he became a litt scaredy cat. He didnt even get him back during Endgame. Not even a lick in or two. Smh...
For all the hype he got early on, he really hasnt done much. They wasted hime during Infinity War and Endgame.

And yeah IF. What a shiet character in MCU and what a shietshow that was on Netflix.

spetznaz
Beautiful read. Thanks

spetznaz
Thanks Enzeru. That was a very good read.

Totally agree.

Adam Grimes
You're welcome, enzeru.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by celeyhyga17
So far it's been Hulk.

The thread is not about MCU, it's about comics.

Yes sorry, MU

Galan007
Edited OP. thumb up

deft
Based on?

In KMC or where? In KMC probably Hulk and Silver Surfer, the first by his feats and the second by his hax.

xXI_wing_IXx
I think Hulk

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
The thread is not about MCU, it's about comics.
Ah kk..

Wolverine.

deft
I'd say Superman as well but my fanboy instict cannot.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by celeyhyga17
Ah kk..

Wolverine.

laughing out loud

Originally posted by deft
I'd say Superman as well but my fanboy instict cannot.

Supes is not from the MU.

carver9
Supes and I'm using him because he has crossed over to Marvel before.

-Pr-
A character is only overrated if the comics don't back it up.

Carver, stop going off-topic. You know crossovers are banned.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by -Pr-
You know crossovers are banned.

Tell that to Marvel...

https://i.redd.it/hngwje4hmm241.png

Sin I AM
Hulk
Thor
Surfer
Ironman

None really...maybe Deadpool due to popularity and Otto when he running around owning Tony.

-Pr-
Tell that to Marvel...

https://i.redd.it/hngwje4hmm241.png

Well if anyone from Marvel decides to post here, I'll tell them that too!

BrolyBlack
Sorry I forgot to add Gladiator to the list

Please add that in Galan or PR

Sin I AM
Sorry I forgot to add Gladiator to the list

Please add that in Galan or PR

Nobody knows about Gladiator except us and those who watched 90s xmen

Adam Grimes
I would say Hulk but nobody actually takes him seriously.

BruhMan

Iron Man is criminally underrated, if anything. People downplay his versatility and physical strength.

There's the right answer thumb up

NemeBro

Supes is not from the MU. He's so overrated people use him in MU-only threads. thumb up

Insane Titan

playa1258
Sentry
Blue Marvel
Surfer
Captain Marvel
Hulk

BrolyBlack
Originally posted by NemeBro
He's so overrated people use him in MU-only threads. thumb up

laughing out loud

Savage

BrolyBlack
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
I would say Hulk but nobody actually takes him seriously.

Sorry this made my laugh out loud laughing out loud

Booya_69
Galactus, somewhat.
Captain marvel
Ironman
Sentry

And of course superman

MrMind
all of them

DarkSaint85
The butthurt levels are amazing

StiltmanFTW
Well if anyone from Marvel decides to post here, I'll tell them that too!

laughing

Originally posted by Sin I AM
Nobody knows about Gladiator except us and those who watched 90s xmen

Yeah, true.

Time got him added only to troll carver and maybe jbl.

Inedian
From the OP list... Hulk and Iron-Man by far.

StiltmanFTW
Iron Man? Why?

Inedian
Iron Man? Why?

Because i don't like him. But seriously, Hulk by far, no contest. And Thor is far from overrated, he is a joke.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Inedian
Because i don't like him.

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

Inedian
laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

big grin

TheHulkster
None

carver9
Hulk
Thor
Surfer
Ironman
Gladiator

Hulk have always been called the most powerful being on the planet/in existence. Heck, the guy has been compared to the Celestial race, Phoenix Force, Galactus, a machine that can wipe out the entire Celestial race, etc... underrated, only on KMC.

Thor is either 1 or 2 in the Herald tier when it comes to power but he does have some lows which match the lows of characters that shows up in as many comics as he does. Hes underrated, by far.

Surfer IS the God of Heralds. Hell, he created the tier. Nothing short of skyfather should be able to take out a serious Surfer. He is by far one of the most underrated characters on KMC (only).

Ironman gets the love he deserves. He isnt underrated or overrated.

Gladiator is highly underrated as well. People tend to look at his lows more often than not and ignore his mids and highs.

Beast Boy gets more love than anyone mentioned here in this thread. Hell, Gorilla Grodd gets more love.

Stoic
How are any Marvel characters overrated when they get nonstop underratings on message boards? It's more of a nonstop loop that has people sitting up for hours trying to debunk, and ultimately invalidate feats. It goes as far as the people doing it seemingly going against writer intent.

DarkSaint85
So erm...

Relative to each other, as per OP, who is the most overrated?

It's like OP creating a thread asking who's the slowest, and you guys all coming and saying hell no, they're all fast!!!!!11!1!1

That doesn't mean one of them is the slowest of the group, lol. Simple English guys, learn it.

Stoic
None of them. Not one the I actually see. Thet're underrated.

StiltmanFTW
https://media1.tenor.com/images/6850ab0e814e1a450341e7592660f0ee/tenor.gif

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by Stoic
None of them. Not one the I actually see. Thet're underrated.

So again, who's the slowest:

Flash (Jay)
Flash (Barry)
Flash (Bart)
Flash (Wally)

Your answer: none of them are slow, they're all fast.

TheHulkster
They are equally non-overrated.

-Pr-
Originally posted by carver9
Hulk have always been called the most powerful being on the planet/in existence. Heck, the guy has been compared to the Celestial race, Phoenix Force, Galactus, a machine that can wipe out the entire Celestial race, etc... underrated, only on KMC.

Thor is either 1 or 2 in the Herald tier when it comes to power but he does have some lows which match the lows of characters that shows up in as many comics as he does. Hes underrated, by far.

Surfer IS the God of Heralds. Hell, he created the tier. Nothing short of skyfather should be able to take out a serious Surfer. He is by far one of the most underrated characters on KMC (only).

Gladiator is highly underrated as well. People tend to look at his lows more often than not and ignore his mids and highs.

Beast Boy gets more love than anyone mentioned here in this thread. Hell, Gorilla Grodd gets more love.

Holy double-standards, Batman.

==

As far as the thread goes... Who the **** knows.

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by TheHulkster
They are equally non-overrated.

Well that can't be true - see Carver's post. Would you say they are all equally underrated, then? Surfer apparently is one of the most underrated characters on KMC, Thor is underrated by far, Hulk is *only* (my words) underrated - surely they are ALL one of the most underrated characters? Gladiator is highly underrated, but then Iron Man is "neutral", i.e neither underrated nor overrated.

So as per OP and Carv's post, Iron Man surely is the most overrated OF THAT LIST? Or do you still need more hand holding?

-Pr-
So, I thought about it...

...and if we're talking purely on KMC, I have to go with Hulk. Yes, people exaggerate the **** out of him and show their double-standards far too easily, but at the same time, far too many people dismiss him for having a limited powerset for my liking, while at the same time keeping the blinders on when looking at, say, Superman.

Surfer just isn't well known enough to compete anymore. I mean, how many people on this board actually know the damn character? We used to have a bunch more people that were avid followers of the guy.

Gladiator? He's more overrated than underrated, tbh. Dude's a solid high-mid, or low-high herald with some nice feats.

Iron Man is all over the place, so not touching that.

Thor? Ugh, the less said about that the better.

TBH I'm looking forward to the inevitable DC thread (or the flipside "Underrated" thread), though sadly I'm fully expecting it all to end up as a ****ing shitshow.

Diesldude

DarkSaint85
So, I thought about it...

...and if we're talking purely on KMC, I have to go with Hulk. Yes, people exaggerate the **** out of him and show their double-standards far too easily, but at the same time, far too many people dismiss him for having a limited powerset for my liking, while at the same time keeping the blinders on when looking at, say, Superman.

Surfer just isn't well known enough to compete anymore. I mean, how many people on this board actually know the damn character? We used to have a bunch more people that were avid followers of the guy.

Gladiator? He's more overrated than underrated, tbh. Dude's a solid high-mid, or low-high herald with some nice feats.

Iron Man is all over the place, so not touching that.

Thor? Ugh, the less said about that the better.

TBH I'm looking forward to the inevitable DC thread (or the flipside "Underrated" thread), though sadly I'm fully expecting it all to end up as a ****ing shitshow.

So you're saying Hulk is overrated? Or Glads?

Tony is interesting. For me, it's him - here he is, the top mind in Marvel Earth....then Rocket calls him out on his shitty tech, lol. And his buster armours always underwhelm.

-Pr-

carver9

If nobody else makes one, I will.

Itll be pointless though.

DarkSaint85
Both, but Hulk is more-so. i just went on a tangent because i think he's a bit underrated too. He just doesn't skew as wildly as Gladiator does sometimes.

Agreed, he's pretty much the top dog (if not the top dog) in the strength and punching department. He gets the benefit of having more showings too, so unlike Glads (who is basically a guest star) can be seen to be more consistent.

He DOES have a more limited powerset , as does Supes, it's just that the power LEVELS of both are crazy high. So yeah Supes has speed, but it's Flash level in travel and WW in reflexes. He has energy projection but it's in the ballpark of a Surfer. Strength, in the Hulk range.

The only thing he doesn't really have is a HF. Well, up until JL where he's sun amping.

-Pr-
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Agreed, he's pretty much the top dog (if not the top dog) in the strength and punching department. He gets the benefit of having more showings too, so unlike Glads (who is basically a guest star) can be seen to be more consistent.

He DOES have a more limited powerset , as does Supes, it's just that the power LEVELS of both are crazy high. So yeah Supes has speed, but it's Flash level in travel and WW in reflexes. He has energy projection but it's in the ballpark of a Surfer. Strength, in the Hulk range.

The only thing he doesn't really have is a HF. Well, up until JL where he's sun amping.

I wasn't claiming he didn't have a more limited powerset. Just that I think there's a level of hypocrisy involved from certain people.

Huh? How would you classify a HF then? As I would have said he does have one. Not on that level, sure, but still heals far faster than any Human would.

carver9

Huh? How would you classify a HF then? As I would have said he does have one. Not on that level, sure, but still heals far faster than any Human would.

thumb up

TheHulkster

TheHulkster
Plus, this isn't a win/lose thread.

DarkSaint85
I wasn't claiming he didn't have a more limited powerset. Just that I think there's a level of hypocrisy involved from certain people.

Oh, Supes does, but I was saying it's not as extreme as say Hulk eyc, which is different from all his other powers where dials are at 11.

-Pr-
Oh, Supes does, but I was saying it's not as extreme as say Hulk eyc, which is different from all his other powers where dials are at 11.

Again, I'm not disputing that. I actually agree with you.

I just, as I said, dislike the hypocrisy. Hulk's limited powerset doesn't stop him achieving the things he does, but people act like even a rookie Green Lantern would stomp his face in.

Parmaniac

I just, as I said, dislike the hypocrisy. Hulk's limited powerset doesn't stop him achieving the things he does, but people act like even a rookie Green Lantern would stomp his face in. These people are there to simply spite Carver or belong to the DC echochamber, both sides (Marvel, DC) have unbearable fanboys.

steverules_2
Both, but Hulk is more-so. i just went on a tangent because i think he's a bit underrated too. He just doesn't skew as wildly as Gladiator does sometimes.

Made it

Diesldude

TheHulkster

TheHulkster
Oh and Vulcan

BrolyBlack
Originally posted by carver9

Hulk is certainly not often not called the most powerful being in existence. There are tons of people that could erase him from existence with the bat of an eye lash

DarkSaint85

I just, as I said, dislike the hypocrisy. Hulk's limited powerset doesn't stop him achieving the things he does, but people act like even a rookie Green Lantern would stomp his face in.

We are in agreement, as per usual.

Your post actually inspired my Hulk/Wolverine thread. Both have high output damage, insane HFs, some agility/speed (Wolverine probably has more of these showings), no flight/real energy projection powers....

If you replaced Hulk in most of these forum/comic fights with Wolverine, how would that go? Yes, I know that Hulk has other powers like energy grabbing and whatever, but the bulk of his powerset is largely similar, with Logan having a significant edge over Hulk in fighting skills.

And that's why people may give the rookie lanterns a pass over Hulk. Same way they'd do with "rookie lantern Vs Wolverine, standard starting distance, BFR on etc" matches.

-Pr-
We are in agreement, as per usual.

Your post actually inspired my Hulk/Wolverine thread. Both have high output damage, insane HFs, some agility/speed (Wolverine probably has more of these showings), no flight/real energy projection powers....

If you replaced Hulk in most of these forum/comic fights with Wolverine, how would that go? Yes, I know that Hulk has other powers like energy grabbing and whatever, but the bulk of his powerset is largely similar, with Logan having a significant edge over Hulk in fighting skills.

And that's why people may give the rookie lanterns a pass over Hulk. Same way they'd do with "rookie lantern Vs Wolverine, standard starting distance, BFR on etc" matches.

The only issue I kind of have with the Hulkverine thing is how haxx Logan is. I don't think you can always measure him properly. He's like Batman or Cap in that he punches so far above his weight you kind of just have to suspend belief and carry on.

Old Man Whirly!
The only issue I kind of have with the Hulkverine thing is how haxx Logan is. I don't think you can always measure him properly. He's like Batman or Cap in that he punches so far above his weight you kind of just have to suspend belief and carry on. So true, this is why people hate on Logan, Hulk, Superman, Batman sometimes even Cap. All Superheroes are walking plot devices but these guys to quote Wolverine and Cap "are the best and always find a way", no matter how silly the plot has to be or how far above their weight they have to punch.

DarkSaint85
The only issue I kind of have with the Hulkverine thing is how haxx Logan is. I don't think you can always measure him properly. He's like Batman or Cap in that he punches so far above his weight you kind of just have to suspend belief and carry on.

He's haxx because in a pure physical slugfest where he gets to go first he can one shot. That's it. Or even if he doesn't go first, his HF will pull him through until he can one shot....but that still implies a physical slugfest.

Put him up against Ambrose Chase, or Midnighter with doors, or any other high street/low meta with exotics, and he loses.

Hell just put him in a forum fight with Archangel. Or Angel with a gun and infinite ammo. No real range attacks (unlike Bats and Cap), no real travel feats, or speed feats....he's limited in his powerSET, but not his power LEVELS.

Same way Hulk is limited. That's why people generally argue against him, even with rookie GLs. Especially if that rookie GL is shown to be wilyto use force.

StiltmanFTW
some agility/speed (Wolverine probably has more of these showings)

"Probably"? laughing out loud

But yeah, they're both limited in the same way that they lack ranged attacks or flight or any superpower that could somehow make up for them.

They can both leap pretty good (Hulk obviously much better in that department), but it's not something that trained, competent fliers should have trouble with on battleboards. Not when they're given the significant starting distance and full capacity advantages.

DarkSaint85
"Probably"? laughing out loud

But yeah, they're both limited in the same way that they lack ranged attacks or flight or any superpower that could somehow make up for them.

They can both leap pretty good (Hulk obviously much better in that department), but it's not something that trained, competent fliers should have trouble with on battleboards. Not when they're given the significant starting distance and full capacity advantages.

Well, Wolverine WAS created to kill Hulks evil face but yeah, his claws more than make up for the strength gap between Hulk/Wolverine. So if we are to say Hulk is a beast based on his fights, Wolverine should be in the same-ish tier as him, because he is just as deadly, if not more so (as someone pointed out, Cap et al can take several Hulk punches to the face - but not a single Logan claw stab to the face).

StiltmanFTW
I don't recall 616 Cap taking shots from the Hulk.

Logically, it should have an effect similar to this:

https://i.ibb.co/MndSkQM/superpunch.png

But sure, we're very used to streets and low metas surviving and even remaining conscious and keeping fighting after getting hit by bricks.

Much easier to accept than as if Cap ignored direct hits such as these:

https://i.ibb.co/RHwQG8Q/gore01.jpg

StyleTime
Originally posted by TheHulkster
Oh and Vulcan
Preach brotha. Vulcan, all day. Been saying that for years. And he had the added sin of wasting multiple story arcs on him. I got honorable mentions but he takes it.

He's only being redeemed now that he's become drunk, chill Vulcan.

MrMind
vulcan is def not more overrated than magneto

StiltmanFTW
Magneto has earned his reputation.

Vulcan hasn't.

Adam Grimes
Every time I saw Vulcan appear in space I was like 'get down from there kid, you'll get hurt lol'.

MrMind
vulcan haxx powerset means he will always be overrated in forum battles

magneto control metals and people pair him against freaking superman or thor, there's this guy called doctor polaris in dc who does the same thing and nobody gives a shit about him keep in mind he has feats on magneto caliber too.

StiltmanFTW
Magneto controls electromagnetic energy. Phil never educated you?

He can do just about anything writers wish him to.

Sin I AM
Annihilation Wave is overrated. tenebrous and aegis...

Smurph
If anything Magneto is now underrated on the forums.

Magneto is who Dr Polaris wants to be when he grows up.

DaltonChance
That's easy Starlord

abhilegend

Vulcan hasn't.
Magneto has earned his reputation? Hahaha.

abhilegend
Originally posted by Smurph

Dr Polaris despite thousands less appearances than Magneto has feats that rival or even surpass Magneto.

DarkSaint85
This may be how Phildo returns to the forum.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
So true, this is why people hate on Logan, Hulk, Superman, Batman sometimes even Cap. All Superheroes are walking plot devices but these guys to quote Wolverine and Cap "are the best and always find a way", no matter how silly the plot has to be or how far above their weight they have to punch.

i feel like you're right, and I do agree with you... but only to a point.

For some heroes, "digging deep" or "getting that second wind" is a superpower that puts them beyond their peers. Even in similar situations. Sure, everyone from Catwoman to Jubilee can have their hero moment of rising to fight a new, more challenging enemy or circumstance, but the elites, to me at least, all have a mode that goes beyond that. Call it stubbornness. Call it "powering through". Call if whatever you want, but you can find multiple instances of it being taken to extremes with certain characters that it never would with others.

He's haxx because in a pure physical slugfest where he gets to go first he can one shot. That's it. Or even if he doesn't go first, his HF will pull him through until he can one shot....but that still implies a physical slugfest.

Put him up against Ambrose Chase, or Midnighter with doors, or any other high street/low meta with exotics, and he loses.

Hell just put him in a forum fight with Archangel. Or Angel with a gun and infinite ammo. No real range attacks (unlike Bats and Cap), no real travel feats, or speed feats....he's limited in his powerSET, but not his power LEVELS.

Same way Hulk is limited. That's why people generally argue against him, even with rookie GLs. Especially if that rookie GL is shown to be wilyto use force.

And here we have the problem, because I think a balance has to be struck between "well, what would realistically happen in a non PIS fight" and the fact that some characters seem to literally have "powering through shit because they're more stubborn than everyone else" as a superpower.

Logan, as haxx as he is, still has limits the Hulk doesn't when we start talking extremes imo.

==

Thanks for breaking the page, Stilt.

==

I've seen Magneto get underrated and overrated, with maybe a bit more of the latter. That said, the dude is a legit herald, and lives in a world where almost everyone he might fight tends to bring metal to a magnetism fight.

==

Iceman is one people have wanked pretty hard. "Full potential" etc etc etc

DarkSaint85
Stilt is just waiting to post Wolverine stubbornness feats lol

MrMind
Originally posted by abhilegend
Dr Polaris despite thousands less appearances than Magneto has feats that rival or even surpass Magneto.

well, according to them popularity is what matters

StyleTime

Vulcan hasn't.
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Every time I saw Vulcan appear in space I was like 'get down from there kid, you'll get hurt lol'.

thumb up

Precisely. Magneto has actually accomplished things. Meanwhile, Gambit has performed as well as Vulcan against Gladiator. And Colossus and noob Teen Jean utterly outperformed him. Emma Frost clotheslining Blackbolt did more damage to him than Vulcan's entire fight.

Congrats Gabriel. Keep practicing and you might even play 2nd string on a Teen X-Men squad one day.

MrMind
just because vulcan is a jobber, doesn't mean he wouldn't kick magneto's ass

he'd shut down magneto's power like that

-Pr-
Vulcan is shit-tier. All potential without reaching any of it.

StiltmanFTW

Thanks for breaking the page, Stilt.

Breaking it with what?

Any scans I posted are on the previous page and they didn't break the page.

One direct-link scan is cropped and the other is not full size; it's a thumbnail you need to click on in order to view it in full.

I've been using a widescreen monitor for a while now, so the page doesn't break for me as easily as it does for mortal peasants, though.

StiltmanFTW

thumb up

Magneto has earned his reputation? Hahaha.

Yes, he has.

Especially when compared to someone like Vulcan; even a hater such as yourself should agree there.

Stop sniffing so much cocaine from elephant's butt.

This may be how Phildo returns to the forum.

I hope so, too.

StiltmanFTW
Iceman is one people have wanked pretty hard. "Full potential" etc etc etc

Agreed.

Iceman always needs an outside factor unlocking his true potential.

Marvel seems very undecided on what to do with him.

-Pr-
Breaking it with what?

Any scans I posted are on the previous page and they didn't break the page.

One direct-link scan is cropped and the other is not full size; it's a thumbnail you need to click on in order to view it in full.

I've been using a widescreen monitor for a while now, so the page doesn't break for me as easily as it does for mortal peasants, though.

You know what, you're right. I'm so used to my browser only taking up half my screen that I didn't just go full width.

Agreed.

Iceman always needs an outside factor unlocking his true potential.

Marvel seems very undecided on what to do with him.

Well, with his powers anyway. We know what they did with the other stuff...

StiltmanFTW
You know what, you're right. I'm so used to my browser only taking up half my screen that I didn't just go full width.

Ha.

Well, with his powers anyway. We know what they did with the other stuff...

Yeah, we know.

Apparently none of his romantic relationships really mattered. So he must have "faked" boners or something when with Lorna or Kitty or any other chick? Wtf?

Imho, it would be much easier to reveal he was a bisexual who secretly preferred the same sex.

-Pr-
Ha.

Yeah, we know.

Apparently none of his romantic relationships really mattered. So he must have "faked" boners or something when with Lorna or Kitty or any other chick? Wtf?

Imho, it would be much easier to reveal he was a bisexual who secretly preferred the same sex.

It would have. It would have even made sense. But we know how a lot of people feel about bisexuals.

StiltmanFTW
- Maybe I'm bi.

- They say everybody is.

laughing out loud

https://static1.cbrimages.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/imglib/ANXM40-03-e51a7.jpg

-Pr-
- Maybe I'm bi.

- They say everybody is.

laughing out loud

https://static1.cbrimages.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/imglib/ANXM40-03-e51a7.jpg

I had read that comic before. Twice. And still, I'm surprised by how shockingly bad it is.

StiltmanFTW
I had read that comic before. Twice. And still, I'm surprised by how shockingly bad it is.

The later encounter between O5 and then-current Iceman wasn't handled much better, to be honest.

Btw, many believe that UXM #319 was the first hint at Bobby being gay:

https://www.tor.com/2015/04/23/iceman-gay-coming-out/

Of course, a little ambiguous scene like that shouldn't dismiss all the evidence to the contrary.

He was created to be basically the X-Men version of the Human Torch.

abhilegend
thumb up

Yes, he has.

Especially when compared to someone like Vulcan; even a hater such as yourself should agree there.

I'm not a hater. Just not bought the hype for Magneto. And I do agree with the Vulcan part. Polaris can match Magneto feat for feat. 🙄🙄🙄🙄

-Pr-
The later encounter between O5 and then-current Iceman wasn't handled much better, to be honest.

Btw, many believe that UXM #319 was the first hint at Bobby being gay:

https://www.tor.com/2015/04/23/iceman-gay-coming-out/

Of course, a little ambiguous scene like that shouldn't dismiss all the evidence to the contrary.

He was created to be basically the X-Men version of the Human Torch.

Funny enough, I read that same article a while back iirc. The parallels are there, sure, but there's a lot of reader interpretation going in to it too. Not that it's usually bad to do such things, but I think there's a difference between interpreting whether a character was trying really hard to kill someone in one scene, and something like their sexuality.

StyleTime

Then he and Kitty could have come out together. Kitty is supposed to be bisexual herself, but I guess Marvel kinda scrapped that idea. She was going to end up with Rachel in the end.

It's hilarious she's one of the few from that era intended to be bisexual from the start, yet it seems like she's the only one they won't touch now. Lol. Weird ass logic.

Don't mind Kitty. She just likes sucking cake frosting off other women's fingers. She's 100% straight. thumb up
It also added to Teen Jean being a bit of a b1tch. The way she cornered Bobby like that and forced him to out himself was super messed up. Then Bendis just has them proceed like it's cool. Which is kinda the M.O. for her I guess. Violates everyone's privacy constantly, the X-Men offer a weak complaint, then wave it off. She acted so entitled to everyone's affection despite shitting on their trust constantly, even in that issue.

Bobby: Why everyone is so in love with you, I have no idea.

Teen Jean: Yeah. Because you're gay.

Like.....sure Bendis....it couldn't be Bobby just has a point and you wrote a Teen Jean who's a bit of an ass. Also, you totally understand the X-Men! dur

-Pr-
Originally posted by StyleTime
Then he and Kitty could have come out together. Kitty is supposed to be bisexual herself, but I guess Marvel kinda scrapped that idea. She was going to end up with Rachel in the end.

It's hilarious she's one of the few from that era intended to be bisexual from the start, yet it seems like she's the only one they won't touch now. Lol. Weird ass logic.

It also added to Teen Jean being a bit of a b1tch. The way she cornered Bobby like that and forced him to out himself was super messed up. Then Bendis just has them proceed like it's cool. Which is kinda the M.O. for her I guess. Violates everyone's privacy constantly, the X-Men offer a weak complaint, then wave it off. She acted so entitled to everyone's affection despite shitting on their trust constantly, even in that issue.

Bobby: Why everyone is so in love with you, I have no idea.

Teen Jean: Yeah. Because you're gay.

Like.....sure Bendis....it couldn't be Bobby just has a point and you wrote a Teen Jean who's a bit of an ass. Also, you totally understand the X-Men! dur

It's a common issue with comic books. You have a bunch of writers that just don't know how to write women, and even when some of them get written as being bitchy for whatever reason, nobody really calls them out on it.

It makes me wonder what kind of women these men spend their time around, or if there's some editorial mandate or something.

StiltmanFTW
Funny enough, I read that same article a while back iirc.

Yeah, it's not anything new; it's just become really popular now after the Bendis run, so it keeps getting reposted and people write their own thoughts on the subject.

The parallels are there, sure, but there's a lot of reader interpretation going in to it too.

thumb up

It was very subtle and vague.

Smart writer could perhaps work with that old material --- but Bendis decided to go the "haha 100% gay" way.

MrMind
Vulcan is shit-tier. All potential without reaching any of it.

are we forgetting war of kings? are we forgetting the black bolt's fight?

magneto wouldn't last a min against someone like black bolt or adam warlock

StiltmanFTW
Bolt couldn't beat Mags even with critical hit cheapshots, lol.

Are we forgetting that?

MrMind
vulcan survived the t-bomb that ripped open 23 light years long of space time

magneto and all his crew woulda get sent straight to mutants hell

Sin I AM
Originally posted by MrMind

This hard-on you have for Vulcan is embarrassing

MrMind
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ngbVLk-q-Gk/VDa-l6YDJXI/AAAAAAACpxw/G3APEL_9Kqs/s1600/tumblr_mmfh54Aqx51s9yvwso1_400.gif

StiltmanFTW

https://tinyurl.com/ybqa8v73

MrMind
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9d/88/23/9d882338fcf6a39693cc652c3e89dac8.gif

StyleTime
just because vulcan is a jobber, doesn't mean he wouldn't kick magneto's ass

he'd shut down magneto's power like that
Like he did against Polaris, amirite? It's like Marvel knew what would happen.

Yost: I'll have Polaris fight Vulcan on the--

Marvel: Negative. We're not done milking Vulcan yet. Can't have Lorna kill him there.

Yost: I guess Rachel and The Hodinn could fight, but crash through the ceiling and interrupt Polaris.

Marvel: thumb up Gotta get dat chedda!

If Vulcan is a good boy in this current run, Cannonball might give him some tips on fighting Gladiator. Dazzler won't brag too hard on how she one-shot Black Bolt. Cyclops, Havok and Jean won't scold him for being the first one in their group dead-to-rights against that Brood swarm. Xavier knows random X-Men upstage Vulcan all the time, but he keeps Gabriel around out of sympathy.

StyleTime
It's a common issue with comic books. You have a bunch of writers that just don't know how to write women, and even when some of them get written as being bitchy for whatever reason, nobody really calls them out on it.

It makes me wonder what kind of women these men spend their time around, or if there's some editorial mandate or something.
Yeah. And I get it makes for drama sometimes, but it strains credibility when the woman they write has next to no emotional intelligence. Most of the women I know wouldn't do shit like that. At the very least, they should be called out in the story. It's part of why Scott/Emma worked. Scott clearly loved her but wouldn't just let her "Emma moments" fly either.

On the outing thing specifically, I feel like it's clumsy writing most times. Jennifer Takeda did the same to Julie Power. Later though, granted it started rough, Julie handled the same situation with Striker in a much healthier way.

Julie is one of our wholesome Power Pack kids though, so I guess she'll always be understanding. It's a shame the way she was treated when she dated Karolina Dean from the Runaways, who turned out to be emotionally distant and neglectful. And now Karolina is off being a phuckboi with Nico. Our little Julie deserved better. uhuh

Smurph
Yeah. And I get it makes for drama sometimes, but it strains credibility when the woman they write has next to no emotional intelligence. Most of the women I know wouldn't do shit like that. At the very least, they should be called out in the story. It's part of why Scott/Emma worked. Scott clearly loved her but wouldn't just let her "Emma moments" fly either.
thumb up

A well-written version of Emma is also a good contrast because her bitchy moments read as an emotionally intelligent choice to be mean or cutting. She leans in to it, which means that other people don't need to point it out to her--but they don't need to/shouldn't put up with it, either.

Jean, in contrast, is so much worse because she's clearly convinced that she's being nice and supportive by invading Bobby's privacy, outing him, and belittling him. And in the process, voicing the middle finger that Marvel gives to Bobby's character history.

-Pr-

On the outing thing specifically, I feel like it's clumsy writing most times. Jennifer Takeda did the same to Julie Power. Later though, granted it started rough, Julie handled the same situation with Striker in a much healthier way.

Julie is one of our wholesome Power Pack kids though, so I guess she'll always be understanding. It's a shame the way she was treated when she dated Karolina Dean from the Runaways, who turned out to be emotionally distant and neglectful. And now Karolina is off being a phuckboi with Nico. Our little Julie deserved better. uhuh

It also helped that, like Smurph said, Emma has layers. She's not naturally a *****; it's a defence mechanism brought on by years of struggle.

Jean by comparison... you can see in the older books that they tried to make her well-rounded. She had a personality. Nowadays though? She's not nearly the character she used to be.

And I say this as someone who in general doesn't like Jean Grey as a "person". I can still appreciate good writing, and there was a time when she had that.

StiltmanFTW
I wouldn't really blame Jean here.

It's Bendis. He could've written the same scene replacing Jean with Luke Cage...

"Sweet Christmas! You are gay, Bobby!"

TheHulkster
Cage is overrated.

cdtm

Still pretty cringe tbh.

Less on unnecessary drama, more on a really awkward, forced, unnatural conversation.

StyleTime
thumb up

A well-written version of Emma is also a good contrast because her bitchy moments read as an emotionally intelligent choice to be mean or cutting. She leans in to it, which means that other people don't need to point it out to her--but they don't need to/shouldn't put up with it, either.

Jean, in contrast, is so much worse because she's clearly convinced that she's being nice and supportive by invading Bobby's privacy, outing him, and belittling him. And in the process, voicing the middle finger that Marvel gives to Bobby's character history.
thumb up I agree 100%. Additionally, the others didn't let her off the hook for it either, like Shadowcat. Meanwhile, Bendis had Kitty going squee over how precious Teen Jean was. I get there's an age gap but meh.
It also helped that, like Smurph said, Emma has layers. She's not naturally a *****; it's a defence mechanism brought on by years of struggle.

Jean by comparison... you can see in the older books that they tried to make her well-rounded. She had a personality. Nowadays though? She's not nearly the character she used to be.

And I say this as someone who in general doesn't like Jean Grey as a "person". I can still appreciate good writing, and there was a time when she had that.
Absolutely. I actually like Adult Jean, even if I dislike that she and Scott are back together. They had so clearly moved on from their relationship after Here Comes Tomorrow. It feels like needlessly undoing character growth just for the sake of some nostalgic version of the X-Men. Marvel treated Emma as keeping Scott warm for Jean.

It's Teen Jean that was the problem, or at least the way Bendis used her. Her best quality was demonstrating how much Adult Jean holds back, which culminated in Adult Jean's showing against Cassandra Nova. They're confirmed to be the same character now, but Teen Jean was definitely written way more obnoxious than Jean typically is.
I wouldn't really blame Jean here.

It's Bendis. He could've written the same scene replacing Jean with Luke Cage...

"Sweet Christmas! You are gay, Bobby!"
Most definitely. Bendis's heart was in the right place with a lot of that stuff, but execution is still required.

He actually did a decent job with Battle of the Atom, a neat and contained little crossover.

Then he went full Bendis.
Originally posted by cdtm
Still pretty cringe tbh.

Less on unnecessary drama, more on a really awkward, forced, unnatural conversation.
Yeah, the dialogue is too perfect to sound believeable, and the series was mediocre at its peak. I just meant Julie gave those moments the proper emotional care, as opposed to Teen Jean's "you gay who gays harder than any gay ever dared to gay to the 100% gayest gay extreme. Also, I'm the hero here, you gay gay."

And yeah, Karolina/Julie....the scene on the couch especially. No way Julie, or anyone, would sit on a couch alone and say that line out loud. I feel like writers sometimes forget the characters aren't speaking for an audience. If you're alone, you might even think something like that, but you wouldn't just say "Herp, TFW when you're girlfriend is ignoring you! DERP"

Who is she expecting to respond to that exactly?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.