Attacking Jesus statues

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Thor
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8457163/amp/Trump-accuses-protesters-planning-attack-statues-Jesus-Christ-George-Washington.html

Is this really happening?

I hope not.

ArtificialGlory

Jmanghan
That's ****ing stupid.

What does Jesus have to do with Racism?

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Jmanghan
That's ****ing stupid.

What does Jesus have to do with Racism?

Akala (the U.K. wrapper) has been saying for a while that Jesus statues have been Whitened in the West which is part of what leads to a white superiority complex, (Jesus was Middle Eastern so probably had some form of tanned complexion).

Anyway this would trample on freedom of worship. So not acceptable. But I dont think anyones actually gone into Churches and done anything yet. And id be pretty shocked if they did.

Surtur
I think anyone offended over a statue is pretty f*cking stupid.

As is anyone who thinks a jesus statue somehow furthers white supremacy.

Eon Blue
Leave Jesus out of this.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Surtur

As is anyone who thinks a jesus statue somehow furthers white supremacy.

Destroying public property, perpetuating violence, and looting in the name of fighting racism, all actually increase racism.

The most racist generation I have ever seen, beyond the 'Greatest Generation' are the Gen Z and younger. This country is in for a rude awakening when the median millennials are middle aged.

jaden_2.0

👍

It's gone from not wanting to be murdered by police, through googling the names of people on statues then getting offended by them despite spending their entire lives not knowing who the statues were of, all the way to demanding every TV show with blackface gets erased from entertainment history.

I'd say that's progress if their problems have changed so dramatically in such a short period of time.

Adam_PoE
Religious monuments do not belong on public property.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Adam_PoE

thumb up

Surtur

Nor do violent mobs

Surtur
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
👍

It's gone from not wanting to be murdered by police, through googling the names of people on statues then getting offended by them despite spending their entire lives not knowing who the statues were of, all the way to demanding every TV show with blackface gets erased from entertainment history.

I'd say that's progress if their problems have changed so dramatically in such a short period of time.

And some can't even claim ignorance. There is an ongoing attempt to bring down the emancipation memorial. Despite it being explained what it is, who paid for it, etc.

People are actually going out, with guns, to protect it. And not just whites, armed black americans too.

And now Trump has made it so federal charges are being brought against 4 guys who tried to pull down a statue of Andrew Jackson. Jackson as a president did terrible things, but now the consequences of going after any and every statue has created an excuse to keep around the terrible ones. "Where does it end, will they go after Washington and Jefferson next?" Trump asked years ago. He was mocked and told no. Spoiler: they went after Washington and Jefferson

I say only statues of perfect people. So...no statues at all. FDR put Japanese people in camps. He can't have any statues. JFK lied about russians having more missiles and f*cked anything with a pulse. Was also probably racist cuz...hello, white male.

Darth Thor

Well By that logic the people defending them would have to be just as stupid.

Either statues mean something or they dont. But it has to work both ways.

That said I dont understand going after memorials. Like I dont understand that one bit.

And attacking freedom of worship would just be wrong. Like Taliban level wrong.

Old Man Whirly!
Religious monuments do not belong on public property. Bingo!

cdtm
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Akala (the U.K. wrapper) has been saying for a while that Jesus statues have been Whitened in the West which is part of what leads to a white superiority complex, (Jesus was Middle Eastern so probably had some form of tanned complexion).

Anyway this would trample on freedom of worship. So not acceptable. But I dont think anyones actually gone into Churches and done anything yet. And id be pretty shocked if they did.

And this is why Styletimes well intended beliefs on race can't really diffuse the tension.

Because he IS earnest, and speaks of real problems.

Calling for a tearing down of religious iconography, and accusing "white people" of a superiority complex is divisive by comparison. He is attempting to anger people, on purpose.

Impediment
Speaking as an agnostic, if Jesus did exist he wasn't Caucasian, that for damn sure.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Impediment
Speaking as an agnostic, if Jesus did exist he wasn't Caucasian, that for damn sure. thumb up

Eon Blue
Jesus was Asian.

eThneoLgrRnae
Speaking as an agnostic, if Jesus did exist he wasn't Caucasian, that for damn sure.

That's probably true. He was from the middle east so most likely had medium brown skin. I also highly doubt He had long hair as He is so often portrayed as having in paintings and other images.

But, how He looked shouldn"t really matter. True Christianity is not about how He looked. It's about His message.

Surtur
Jesus was magic. He could probably change skin color at will.

Surtur

That said I dont understand going after memorials. Like I dont understand that one bit.

Depends how you define "defending them".

If you define "violent mobs shouldn't be allowed to tear them down illegally" as a defense of them I disagree with you about it being just as stupid.

I think a person can like or dislike a statue. But when you start to argue it's mere existence or location is doing you harm that is deranged. If someone is saying their emotional well being will be harmed by removing the statue that is also crazy yes. But I don't think that is what is being said by most.

dadudemon

Yes, without even hesitation. Except for the fact that it costs money and you shouldn't destroy shit.

If there wasn't a money problem involved, who cares about the statues? Let the local people vote - if they vote to keep it, too f*cking bad, you have to keep until the next vote. If you hate it that much, move. It's a statue.

Also, as I understand it, the people in that one city (was it Charlottesville?) voted to keep the statues but the retards had to throw their tantrums and wanted to destroy them. Maybe the reddit thread I read was wrong but they said the town already voted and they voted to keep them which sparked the outrage.

dadudemon

Artistic depiction of what Jesus would have looked like:

https://i.imgur.com/xaTtOrp.jpg

Surtur
So Jesus is a Skyrim character?

cdtm

Taking a stand on the flag, taking one on statues of a christian symbol.

What do they have in common?

Going after them riles up Republicans, that's what.

Being candid, I'd have more respect for Democrats, if they showed some to Republicans.

The same is true for the Right, of course. But I freely admit I have much higher standards for the left, because in truth I sympathize with a lot if their rhetoric.

Branding anyone who votes Republican as an enemy goes against that rhetoric.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by dadudemon
Artistic depiction of what Jesus would have looked like:

https://i.imgur.com/xaTtOrp.jpg I've seen many other artists renditions of Jesus... seriously, what are you trying to "prove" here DDM?

Impediment
Jesus definitely didn't look like Kenny Loggins.

Robtard

Agreed there, as we're not a single-religion country.

But people destroying and vandalizing these statues is stupid. If whatever statue in your city offends you for whatever reason, start a petition; get a few thousand names and have it removed properly by the city.

If you find that it's only you and a handful of people who are offended by statue "X", then you might be a snowflake.

Surtur
He still legit looks like a skyrim character.

Old Man Whirly!
Jesus definitely didn't look like Kenny Loggins. No! He looked like a young Kenny Roger's, Jesus was blonde, I've seen pictures.

Surtur
Like I have said: Jesus was magic.

Jesus could be a unicorn if he wanted.

Old Man Whirly!
Like I have said: Jesus was magic.

Jesus could be a unicorn if he wanted. No he couldn't, not a real Unicorn, they like the Dinasaurs became extinct because they couldn't fit on Noah's Ark. Don't you know anything about the Bible?

Surtur
Jesus could unmake the bible with his magic.

Surtur
He died and came back to life. And he has magic.

Jesus is a lich. He's like Larloch or Sammaster

cdtm
Originally posted by Robtard
Agreed there, as we're not a single-religion country.

But people destroying and vandalizing these statues is stupid. If whatever statue in your city offends you for whatever reason, start a petition; get a few thousand names and have it removed properly by the city.

If you find that it's only you and a handful of people who are offended by statue "X", then you might be a snowflake.

We welcome other religions.

Fact is we're still very heavily a religious majority country, founded by Christians.

Of course I'm technically not one of them, being Catholic. The way I think, I'd just let Christians do their thing and put statues where they like. If that's what people want, what's the harm?

But I know there are other people who think "Either everyone gets represented, or no one does. No statues."

Unrealistic imo. We will always be outsiders to the majority.

And there is nothing wrong in that.

Old Man Whirly!
Jesus could unmake the bible with his magic. I never really understood the holy trinity and all that, it is very silly in my mind, but some people get solice from religion. It is what it is.

Trocity
If people want to tear down statues of people who lived a long time ago because they think it glorifies racism and has no place in society today, so be it. However, something as archaic and cult-like as religion should not be safe from this scrutiny either.

Down with Jesus!

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Trocity
If people want to tear down statues of people who lived a long time ago because they think it glorifies racism and has no place in society today, so be it. However, something as archaic and cult-like as religion should not be safe from this scrutiny either.

Down with Jesus! thumb up laughing out loud Top notch!

Adam_PoE
Nor do violent mobs

Freedom of assembly.

eThneoLgrRnae
Jesus was magic. He could probably change skin color at will.

While that's true, I doubt He would do something like that

Eon Blue
He died and came back to life. And he has magic.

Jesus is a lich. He's like Larloch or Sammaster

thumb up laughing out loud Top notch!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.