does anybody read anymore?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

glorfindel
I have been away a while so now i am back(checks in the mirror) ,yes its me. does any body read any more or we to belive that the films(good as they are) is the only thing to talk about? has anybodt even read the books or are you all lazy and went to see the films(zzzzzz).
I dont mean to offend but a load of posts saying i like the film, have you seen my pictures, is their an extention hidden someware on a dvd is ok but a little boreing in my humble opinion.
lets debate the big questions that realy matter(wipes sweat out of eyes),
if as we are lead to believe arogorn is a decendent of elrond is it realy right that he should marry elronds daughter?? smokin'

Ushgarak
Descended from Elrond's brother, which would make it at worst marrying a cousin- which is not totally beyond the realms of rightness- and rather irrelevant after a few millenia of descendants...

Meanwhile, I think you will see there is a book vs. film thread on the front page of this area so it's not ALL bad... but do remember this is primarily a movies site.

Ash Nazg
yup, Ive read the books and in the years since I first read them Ive just finished re-reading them again.

I agree with you in the main, ie that the books have been and will probably always be my fave read, and to a degree I much prefer them to the films as the images you can conjour in your own mind, much beat the screen imagery - though I have to admit, 5.1 surround sound is a welcome bonus which doesnt happen in my head. Saying that, I have enjoyed the films imensly and they are now ranked second, behind only the Star Wars OT (the PT's come much further down the list - sorry Mr Lucas...).

The books provide a much wider and in depth story line than the films could realistically do, unless they were each about 10 hours long. Jackson has done extremely well condensing them the way he has. The mythology and the back stories told in the likes of the Sil could never be made into a film and so I class them as pretty integral (if not somewhat daunting and challenging) read to help expand the LOTR war of the ring storyline.

As for the question about Aragorn being related to Elrond....have to admit, Im a bit stumped there, I honestly cant remember if he is so I'll have to check on that one. Are you certain?

Anyways, even if she is, I mean, what the hell, she's one hot babe. Who cares, shes worth commiting incest for I think!

Ushgarak
Yes, Aragorn HAS tpo be related to Elrond as he is a Dunadan and all Dunadan come from the line started by Elrond's brother Elros.

Ash Nazg
ah right, of course. Thank you Mr Ushgarak!

turin
well i read the books on a yearly basis and absolutely love them. I also love the films being brought to life. as far as it being wierd sick or wrong that arwen and aragorn hookin it up, well they are distant enough that it would be the same for pretty much every couple.

Captain REX
I read them occassionally. I recently finished The Hobbit, and I froze at a Knife in the Dark on FOTR.

billyboyd4ever
yea, i read them a lot, i just finished the silmarillion and am on my third time at the trilogy, plus ive read the hobbit, and am trying to find the adventures of tom bombadil

coolboarder98
Remember Tolkien created LOTR as his own mythology. So if you've ever read Greek and Roman mythology, the Gods married their siblings(i.e. Zeus and Hera).

Evy_O
The books were great, I agree. But maybe people talk about the movies 'cause they've talked about the books *a lot* 'till now... And the movies are something new.

Seraph

mah
Yah; I read them about once a year. I try to at least. Read Silmarillion twice, reading history of middle-earth books...those take up quite some time though.

turin
yes the history of middle earth series is tuff to read, and usually it takes me a long time to finish one. i am working on treason if isengard i think it is #8 and i hate how it goes back and starts at the begining of shadow of the past. makes it tought to read when you are reading the same thing over and over with onyl minor differences.

glorfindel
Glad to hear(read) that the art of opening a book has not been lost. smokin'
I feel the point with arogorn getting it off with his relative is to reinforce his title to the thrown of gondor, after all i surpose that most of the royal familyies in europe are interbred.
Also if the fourth age was to become the age of man how come elrond managed to get his grand children as the heads of state as soon as arogorn dies they all take over hmmmmm.
was this his idear all along? (pretty far fetched but a point).
smokin'

turin
well Aragorn is full blooded man and is only related to Elrond by being a greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat

greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat
nephew, i probably missed a few greats there. plus Arwen chose mortality hence so did her children, which kind of makes them man, or close to. so the age of man is being kicked off by basically the greatest of Men. Plus I would garuntee that Elrond would have preferred Arwen to return with him as aposed to political posturing.

glorfindel
yes ithink you are right...........you did miss agreat or two out smokin'

glorfindel
we all want the most for our children so what does she get in aman? just another elf child . where as now she is a queen smokin'

Ushgarak
Can't stay long though, can they? As Elrond describes his kids will become mortal if they stay in Middle-Earth

turin
plus in aman she would live forever in basically a heaven type setting. how would you feel if you were elrond when all of you children stay, that would suck, atleast he will be reunited with his wife.

glorfindel
trust me heavan is a life away from the kids........
anyway he can always have some more, and when she dies will she go to the elven after life or human???
elrond could visit her in the halls of mandos smokin'

Ushgarak
I would imagine they still have the 'right' of the Halls. Lucky bastards.

glorfindel
seems it,s a win win situ. for elrond.
goes back a hero/prince to aman,has the kingship of middle earth given to his kids and still (maybe) gets to see her (arwen)at week ends.
thats his reward I think for fighting till the end smokin'

Telperaca
I still read the book.

Darth Sauron
What, you mean the wrote a book based on these films?

ladygrim
i still read them and in the process of reading the hobbit .. its been awhile since i read that

Darth Sauron
what?
Whos this Tolkien guy, sure all us real fans know that it was Bakshi who invented middle earth

Ladygrim, you cant be reading the hobbit, it hasnt been filmed yet, how can there be a novelisation roll eyes (sarcastic)

Nazgul lord
indeed i do my good man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! of coarse i cant speak for everyone but iam sure the true fans never stop reading the books

Elessea
I still read eek! the books rock my world...even moreso than the movies happy I am always in the middle of one of them...been a while since i actually finished a book embarrasment too busy with drama stick out tongue but i still read a couple pages here and there when i have spare time smile

Eöl Moriedhel
I read EVERY day.

Nazgul lord
thats the way!!!!!!!!!!

darktim1
yep I read the lord of the rings trilogy now reading the hobbit so I'll know bilbo journey alot better.

row476
Of course! Who has read them more than 3 times each? *raises hand*

Elessea
*raises both hands*

EOWYN3
I've read the books many, many, MANY times! I understand a lot of people don't like to read, but if they only knew how much more enriching the story is when you've read the book...

Nazgul lord
ive just started reading the hobbit again to what a co-inky dink

drunk_nazgul
When people look on my bookshelf and see the entire LotR collection, the 3-in-1 book, and other such works of art, they get creeped out and run away.

"You read too much."
Dear Lord.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.