Name your top 5 story arcs

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AlbertoJohnAvil
and why

-Can be from Marvel or DC

https://i.postimg.cc/215y1bHt/192d5c4a00e5d7b492eecc62741023e1f437be61-hq.jpg

DantasKEdc
Genesis, Darkseid War, Last Family of Krypton, Action Comics annual 6 (Legacy) and What if Dr. Doom kept the Beyonder's power?

-Pr-
Favourite or what we consider to be the objective best?

AlbertoJohnAvil
Originally posted by -Pr-
Favourite or what we consider to be the objective best?

doesn't really matter imo

Sin I AM
Kingdom Come, Mr. Miracle, Sandman Mystery Theatre, Earth X...I can't think of a fifth maybe Stealing Thunder or God Butcher

StiltmanFTW
World War Hulk

World War Hulks

Heart of the Monster

Hulkverines

Hulkdigo

True masterpieces

deft
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
World War Hulk

World War Hulks

Heart of the Monster

Hulkverines

Hulkdigo

True masterpieces

Good list, dude. As always.

My top is:

1. Planet Hulk
2. Return to Planet Hulk
3. The Hulk in the Mirror
4. Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk
5. Hulk The End

Parmaniac
Sinestro Corps War
Civil War
Annihilation
Shadowland
Infinite Crisis

No particular order

Khazra Reborn
Thor: The Surtur Saga
Hellboy: Wild Hunt
Invincible: Conquest
Wolverine: Enemy of the State
Cosmic Odyssey

Juntai
COIE.
Multiversity.
All Star Superman.
Kingdom Come.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Parmaniac
Sinestro Corps War
Civil War
Annihilation
Shadowland
Infinite Crisis

No particular order

Forgot about SCW...good pick

MrMind
DC presents

Metal
Death Metal
Black Metal
Goth Metal
Doom Metal

-Pr-
Originally posted by AlbertoJohnAvil
doesn't really matter imo

Oki doki. Not in any order, but:

Flash v2 197 - 225

It's more of a long-form arc, with multiple arcs taking place in between. I classify it as an arc because it starts with Zoom's origin and his attack on Linda, and at the very end, Wally closing the loop and setting things right. Continuous threads moving from start to finish.

X-Men: Inferno

Though it starts way back in Uncanny X-Men 168 with the introduction of Madelyne Pryor, Inferno is the culmination of a buildup not unlike The Dark Phoenix saga had. This is back when X-Men writers were allowed to plan several months or even years ahead, and it shows. From Uncanny and X-Factor all the way to the final showdown with Sinister, I think it's a strong contender for being some of Claremont's best work on X-Men.

Superman: The Journey

Not many people's favourite arc, but for me it's easily my favourite. We have a Superman that, as powerful as he is (and he is written as powerful), is forced to confront the fact that as much as he might have worked to earn the admiration and trust of all around him, that it could so easily be taken away from him. We see him mess up, and how easily people turn on him. For anyone that doesn't know this arc, it's the arc taking place from Superman's POV leading up to the Sacrifice fight with Wonder Woman.

Aquaman by Peter David

Yes, all of it. I don't care. I could just say The Atlantis Chronicles. Or Time and Tide, but in all honesty, those plus the first 47 issues of Aquaman v5. It's brilliant. World-building. Smart-writing that has nuanced, interesting characters. Everything positive people say about David's run on the likes of X-factor and Hulk is just as much true of his run on Aquaman.

Truth: Before I read it, I had zero interest in the character. Zero.

Final Crisis: Superman Beyond

An arc that, imo, has aged incredibly well in light of watching the likes of Snyder and Johns attempt to emulate Morrison's skill at crafting a story on this scale. And that's not even me saying that what they did was bad. This story is just amazing. And it takes place over the course of two issues. TWO. It deals with themes that make you go back and read just to try to grasp the damn thing, and at the very centre of it all, at the very core of the story, is literally a guy that just wants to save his wife. It's arguably Morrison's best work, for me, and better than most Superman stories, it balances the "super" and the "man" incredibly well.

I had a ton of honourable mentions, but still.

Sin I AM

Flash v2 197 - 225

It's more of a long-form arc, with multiple arcs taking place in between. I classify it as an arc because it starts with Zoom's origin and his attack on Linda, and at the very end, Wally closing the loop and setting things right. Continuous threads moving from start to finish.

X-Men: Inferno

Though it starts way back in Uncanny X-Men 168 with the introduction of Madelyne Pryor, Inferno is the culmination of a buildup not unlike The Dark Phoenix saga had. This is back when X-Men writers were allowed to plan several months or even years ahead, and it shows. From Uncanny and X-Factor all the way to the final showdown with Sinister, I think it's a strong contender for being some of Claremont's best work on X-Men.

Superman: The Journey

Not many people's favourite arc, but for me it's easily my favourite. We have a Superman that, as powerful as he is (and he is written as powerful), is forced to confront the fact that as much as he might have worked to earn the admiration and trust of all around him, that it could so easily be taken away from him. We see him mess up, and how easily people turn on him. For anyone that doesn't know this arc, it's the arc taking place from Superman's POV leading up to the Sacrifice fight with Wonder Woman.

Aquaman by Peter David

Yes, all of it. I don't care. I could just say The Atlantis Chronicles. Or Time and Tide, but in all honesty, those plus the first 47 issues of Aquaman v5. It's brilliant. World-building. Smart-writing that has nuanced, interesting characters. Everything positive people say about David's run on the likes of X-factor and Hulk is just as much true of his run on Aquaman.

Final Crisis: Superman Beyond

An arc that, imo, has aged incredibly well in light of watching the likes of Snyder and Johns attempt to emulate Morrison's skill at crafting a story on this scale. And that's not even me saying that what they did was bad. This story is just amazing. And it takes place over the course of two issues. TWO. It deals with themes that make you go back and read just to try to grasp the damn thing, and at the very centre of it all, at the very core of the story, is literally a guy that just wants to save his wife. It's arguably Morrison's best work, for me, and better than most Superman stories, it balances the "super" and the "man" incredibly well.

I had a ton of honourable mentions, but still.

I honestly thought it'd be two xmen arcs one aquaman and three superman...you surprised me with flash.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Sin I AM
I honestly thought it'd be two xmen arcs one aquaman and three superman...you surprised me with flash.

Yeah, tbh that Flash run is part of why for years Wally was arguably my favourite DC character. It's also part of why I tend to defend Johns even when he's not so great.

And honestly, I was trying to keep it to one character/team, and one writer per team. When it got to the fifth one, I was stuck asking myself if I had really enjoyed Hush or Knightfall more than Superman Beyond. Or if The Dark Phoenix Saga was separate enough from Inferno to really count. I could have put Hulk by Peter David, but that would be Peter David twice etc.

Stoic
1. Dreadstar
2. Thanos Quest
3. All Star Superman
4. Planet Hulk
5. Silver SurferThe Herald Ordeal

abhilegend
All Star Superman
Sandman: Seasons of mists
Final Crisis
Sinestro Corps War
Thor: Surtur Saga

MrMind
Originally posted by abhilegend

Thor: Surtur Saga

whaaaaa

abhilegend
It's not an all time list, just what I am re-reading. An all time list would be different.

Adam Grimes
Legends in Exile
Dangerous Habits
Sinestro Corps War
Superman: Secret Origins
Thanos Imperative

DarkSaint85
Whatever the latest scans are posted in the Character Ownage thread.

Adam Grimes
I like that recent arc that made Wonder Woman relevant at last.

beatboks
1.All Star Squadron issues 21-26 plus annual 2. America vs the Ultra Humanite.

2. Infinity Inc 1-4 Generations saga.

3.JSA (90s run) opening arc vs Mordru

4. Miller's arc in Daredevil wher he broke Matt, had kingpin discover his ID, ruinnis law service, kill his girlfriend etc etc.

5. Defender story around issue 100 where the Defenders fight Satan and Daimon goes against his father.

Close but not quites/Honorable mentions

Cosmic Odyssy
JLA/JSA/LOSH pre crisis cross over vs Mordru
Great Darkness Saga
Longbow Hunters (vertually any Green Arrow written by Grell)
Question Quarterly (hard to pick a specific arc)
Ostranders run on Spectre
The Alpha flight arc vs L'un
The Defendera arc where Eternity had split of aspects of himself to experience life.
Defenders arc where Devil Slayer went against the cult that trained him in mysicism.
Longshot mini series
Longshot saves the MU

beatboks

Aquaman by Peter David

While I like Aquaman prior PAD definitely finally defined Arthur's personality.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
I like that recent arc that made Wonder Woman relevant at last.

laughing out loud

Originally posted by beatboks
While I like Aquaman prior PAD definitely finally defined Arthur's personality.

I like it too. I even like what Abnett and Lanning did after. But yeah, David set the standard, as far as I'm concerned.

StiltmanFTW
https://tinyurl.com/y6wy9g4c

Supermutant
Blackest Night
Annihilation
World War III
Salvation Run
Marvel Knights

xJLxKing
Sinestro Corps War
Final Crisis
All Stars Superman
Civil War
JL 5th Dimension.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.