Halo Infinite

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
e4cszcDNyqA

mGXxpxenVMo

If a thread was already made, it's either lost or the search is just bad.

Tzeentch
This is the garbage that game publishers try to gaslight you into thinking they *NEED* $70+ to make. It's the exact same derivative gameplay but set in a destiny clone overworld. Boy I can't wait to wander this empty landscape killing infinitely respawning enemies and grinding dailies with my bros so that I can unlock skins on all my guns and armor!

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Nemesis X
the search is just bad.

-Nods-

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Tzeentch
This is the garbage that game publishers try to gaslight you into thinking they *NEED* $70+ to make. It's the exact same derivative gameplay but set in a destiny clone overworld. Boy I can't wait to wander this empty landscape killing infinitely respawning enemies and grinding dailies with my bros so that I can unlock skins on all my guns and armor!

To be fair, Halo will be $60 with smart delivery support and that BS price premise was only introduced by a greedy sports milkin' third party publisher so far.

NewGuy01
Making AAA games to meet current expectations of graphical fidelity is several times as expensive as it was a decade ago. I'm surprised that video game prices have remained as stable as they have until now, and compared to... the alternative money-making schemes, I consider an extra ten dollars to be preferable by far.

cdtm
Halo hasn't been good since Bungie lost the reigns.

Excepting Reach.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by cdtm

Excepting Reach. Reach was developed by Bungie. 343 should be given credit for the entire Master Chief Collection which came out fantastic (though not initially; it took years of updates and remasters to make it what it is today) though.

But yeah, 4 and 5 were rough outside of some fun multiplayer. This one looks like it trying to cash in a bit too much on nostalgia. The gameplay shown could almost pass for a Halo CE remaster/remake. Lets hope the open world is more impressive than shown.

Also, this will live or die by its multiplayer. I'm hoping the experience they got bringing the MC collection to life will shine through here.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Arachnid1
4 and 5 were rough outside of some fun multiplayer This one looks like it trying to cash in a bit too much on nostalgia. The gameplay shown could almost pass for a Halo CE remaster/remake. Lets hope the open world is more impressive than shown.

I honestly like it went back to the classic look. Plus without as much focus to detail for every little thing like 4 and 5 did, might get smoother as a result.

Calling it: playable Brutes thumb up

Tzeentch
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Making AAA games to meet current expectations The top selling games of this gen range from being nice to look at but hardly envelope pushing (Overwatch, Fortnite etc.) to literal mobile game tier 2008 graphics (league of legends, PubG, Minecraft etc). People want games to look good- that can be accomplished with art style just as effectively as graphical intensity. The idea that new games must have the latest and greatest DUDE MUH RAY TRACING MUH FULLY RENDERED TOE NAILS graphics technology is a meme perpetuated by the gaming industry itself, to justify new console gens and increased game prices.

And it's naive to think that more expensive initial prices will somehow result in less predatory nickel and diming. Do you really see EA or Activision going "well since gamers have accepted our price hike I guess we don't have to innudate our games with lootboxes and DLC!"? **** no. Their games are going to be $70 and you're going to take the microtransaction dick. There is no if-then scenario here. Capitalism is a tumor that demands infinite growth, so there will never come a time where prices are "good enough" for these companies. You could pay $400 for Halo Infinite and by the time Halo Infinite 2 comes out Microsoft will be crying crocodile tears about how "guys gaming will not survive unless you pay $410 for your games..."

**** the AAA gaming industry.

ares834
thumb up

Excepting Reach.

Reach was made by Bungie.

Arachnid1
I'm not usually a graphics wh0re but come on. That looks like a 360 game.

https://i.imgur.com/Q0Pw81F.png

EDIT: Actually, Halo looked better on 360. All this talk of a 500 million budget and hype around this game, and this what we have half a year before release?
https://i.imgur.com/n8rmKuo.png

cdtm
I still play on 360, you're seriously downplaying what its capable of.

Max Payne 3 and GTA 5 look way better then that.

Halo 3 look a lot better.

cdtm
Originally posted by Arachnid1

https://i.imgur.com/n8rmKuo.png

That looks like a lighting thing.

I compared the same FX2 pinball table on 360, and its FX3 port on Steam, and the 360 lights everything up while the Steam edition was much more subdued and natural.

I actually prefer the Steam look in general, except on specific tables (Like Star Wars Rebel Assault)

BackFire
Looks like the lighting was unfinished or bugged or something. Made the graphics look really bad. Hopefully it looks better once released.

Other than that it looked fine.

Ridley_Prime
Well, has been stated that what was shown was an early build for the game, and not how the final version will look, so that's at least reassuring.

Adam Grimes
$70 lol. I'll just emulate it on my phone. thumb up a

Trocity
Originally posted by Tzeentch

laughing out loud Well said.

BackFire
Is this game going to be an online game like D2?

Nemesis X
I...doubt that. And no, guys, it's not gonna be $70. It's gonna be out on Xbox One also. If the reactions over this game can be summarized, it would be in the form of this reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/hx1hlk/to_everyone_complaining_about_the_graphics/

Smasandian
And its available on Game Pass day one. If you only want to play Halo Infiinite...you can literally get a trial of Game Pass for 15 days (I think), beat the campaign and never have to play it again and it costs no money.

Considering you can play this game on Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X, through Game Pass, through Windows Store and I think there is going to be a Steam version as well...and I don't believe its going to be an increase of price.

And if you buy the Xbox One version, you get the Series X version without any extra cost.

So...I don't see how this can be lumped in the same category as NBA 2K......and we do not know if there is microtransactions for MP.

cdtm
Does anyone even care about Halo anymore?

It's the era of DOOM.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Smasandian
And its available on Game Pass day one. If you only want to play Halo Infiinite...you can literally get a trial of Game Pass for 15 days (I think), beat the campaign and never have to play it again and it costs no money.

Considering you can play this game on Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X, through Game Pass, through Windows Store and I think there is going to be a Steam version as well...and I don't believe its going to be an increase of price.

And if you buy the Xbox One version, you get the Series X version without any extra cost.

So...I don't see how this can be lumped in the same category as NBA 2K......and we do not know if there is microtransactions for MP.

QFT

Ridley_Prime
Does anyone even care about Halo anymore?

It's the era of DOOM.
When the Master Chief Collection got good after the certain updates, there had been plenty returning player nostalgia for Halo, but difficult to gauge how many really care about the series now compared to like back in the day. Halo got dethroned after Reach or so at least, and only declined afterward with the mixed releases it got at that point. Infinite from the looks of it is at least something of an attempted return to form.

Smasandian
When I eventually played the first Halo (the PC version that came out)...I didn't understand why people loved it. The reason is because it's not Half Life and similar immersive PC games that came out around that time. I hate the Flood and most of the levels in that game (still think a few levels design are some of the worst).

But I picked up Master Chief Collection and have grown to respect the series on what it did. The combat was pretty awesome, it revolutionized a few gameplay systems and I find the games have gotten better because I don't have the love for the first game as some people do. I actually liked Halo 5 because it was a ton of fun to play with friends.

The combat in the demo looked good. Yes, the graphics were OK but I'm interested in playing. It also seems that the demo is the E3 demo and most likely will not look like the end product. I have heard putting together demo's take a lot of work and most likely COVID has caused problems trying to finish the game and didn't have enough time to throw together another one.

Let's say it's a reverse Ubisoft....haha.

Jmanghan
Halo 4 was still very fun, I enjoyed it.

Halo 5 ruined the series for me and is the reason I only own Halo: MCC.

Ridley_Prime
Halo 5's multiplayer easily surpassed 4's after some of the updates. 4 had the overall worst retention out of any of the games, for me at least.

Smasandian
Yeah, I didn't like Halo 4 MP. I played like 5 matches and was done. Halo 5 MP I played a lot more.

Arachnid1
5's MP was definitely better, though the single player is the worst in the series.

BackFire
Halo 4 is good. I liked it a lot. Halo 5 was fun but entirely forgettable. I think Halo Reach is the best game in the series. Halo 3 is the best game of the master chief saga.

Nemesis X
Free multiplayer y'all.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/31/21349236/halo-infinite-multiplayer-free-to-play-120fps-rumors

The loot boxes in Halo 5 will not be making a return either I hear.

Smasandian
Very interesting....I guess they want the MP mode to be as populated as it can be.
So free MP, no loot boxes and the rest of game available Day 1 on Game Pass...it could be a lot of people playing it.

I wonder if its going to be cross play.

But there is a battle pass though.. I guess that's technically microtransactions...however I played Division 2, which has a Season Pass and I never see the need for them.....

Smasandian
Pushed back to 2021.
Not surprising considering the world we live in at this moment.

It sucks it will not be day 1 for the release of the new console but Cyberpunk and the 2020 fall games will be out so I'm more than OK for games.

You will probably see a ton of other games being delayed....and I wouldn't be surprised if the consoles get delayed as well.

Ridley_Prime
XBSX may as well be delayed too, since it would have a weak launch without Infinite.

Nemesis X
Wouldn't be surprised if the Halo community were responsible getting it pushed back whining about the graphics so damn much that it became viral. Much as those "gamers" stress that it's all about the games, have you seen that grass texture, etc.?! And now they whine it's delayed. Guys, make up your frikkin minds.

Smasandian
I agree with you regarding graphics and flip flopping. Wasn't it all about FPS...who cares about 4K..want 60FPS....MS...goes here it is! And MP can be played at 120FPS like all those masterrace PC dudes love to talk about...

But that doesn't look next gen enough.....

I honestly believe MS thought there was a chance of releasing this year but COVID screwed it up. This week was probably the end date before going gold

For Series X release, it's not unusual for systems to be sold without a killer title (first party that is) and I believe PS3, PS4 and Xbox One were released with nothing too big. PS5 launch lineup doesn't look to rosy either.

Nemesis X
Hearing that playable Elites won't be returning in this installment either surprise, surprise. I don't get it. It can't be that complicated for 343 if Bungie could do it for 3 games. Makes as much sense if you decided to get rid of the Locust from Gears' multiplayer.

Ridley_Prime
343's excuse was shit too. "We want this to be about the Spartan experience", as if Reach wasn't literally a Spartan-centered story, and it still had Elites in multiplayer.

I've seen some defend it or say it's understandable because muh hitbox differences with the Elites (there's hitbox differences with some of the Locust/Swarm too though and Gears still has them in multiplayer), but you can just limit them to certain game types then for balancing reasons like what Reach did. Still leaving them out entirely though like what 343's done is a copout.

Obviously this sole thing is not gonna be what hurts Infinite but the fact that 343 refuses to listen to 10 years worth of fans asking for Elites to be playable again seems like a sign of worse things to come. If fans stay as vocal about it as they are now though, perhaps them being playable can be re-added in a later update (this is gonna be a service game with a long life after all). Dual wielding I can understand going away at least even though I liked it as an occasional mixup, but snubbing the Elites this long is an injustice. I didn't give it that much thought at the time with Halo 4 and stuff, but if Infinite is to be a return to form for Halo like it's boasted, then it needs to have returning staples such as that.

Ridley_Prime
https://www.ign.com/articles/halo-infinite-no-co-op-forge-at-launch

No campaign co-op and forge at launch. That won't come until 3 to 6 months later. It's like the Halo 5 launch but worse, or they just want the game to be dead a half year into launch.

Needless to say unfinished games getting launched is tiresome, especially after how many times this one had already been delayed which makes it all the more unforgivable. Apart from MCC, Halo's still in a dark age where I'm concerned.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by BackFire
Halo 4 is good. I liked it a lot. Halo 5 was fun but entirely forgettable. I think Halo Reach is the best game in the series. Halo 3 is the best game of the master chief saga. Gotta be 2 for me, but I also have nostalgia for it. I think it just refined Halo 1's formula so goddamn much it was hard to go back to it, and Halo 3 only made a couple of improvements, even if it was mechanically a better game.

No split-screen for Halo will always be a bad choice, I won't play any more games in the series until they add that back.

Ridley_Prime
No co-op period for Infinite at launch also means no splitscreen at launch, so they ironically did co-opers dirty two new games in a row. Shame 343, for shame.

Yeah, is kind of a toss up for me between Halo 2 and 3 as to which game was best. Reach was pretty good too though.

Tzeentch
Actually amazing that they didn't learn their lesson re coop last time.

Nemesis X
If we weren't gonna get co-op for Infinite after it got delayed a year, just what was 343 about to get people into if it wasn't and still came out last year as originally planned? O_o

Smasandian
That's a nonsensical argument...it got delayed.

Online and local coop is coming a few months later...and the multiplayer is free.
And I would be surprised if this will kill any momentum when it's free and 90% of the players will most likely play the campaign because they have Game Pass.

They should of just slapped Game Preview/Early Access on it...and nobody would care....

Nemesis X
Yeah, delayed almost a whole year and it still couldn't add two player online/splitscreen co-op. It's a really big issue you're trying to downplay and would be surprised how many find that to be a deal breaker.

It's free so of course we'll try the multiplayer still but 343 really should delay the campaign after this news. Most would benefit from that and no one would get story spoilered for wanting to wait for the co-op. Halo's getting another unfinished game at launch no matter how you spin it, but may as well do it in a way that softens the blow for most.

Smasandian
So I don't see it that way....

If MS released the game without coop without telling anybody, yeah, that's complete bullshit.

If MS said there is no coop at all....yeah, I can understand people are going to be pissed.

And I can understand people being annoyed that is not releasing with coop day 1....I get it.

But....the lack of Day 1 coop is so far down the list of shit I care about....I really don't care. I rather play the campaign this year than wait another 6 months...

Ridley_Prime
https://i.imgur.com/Ax2sWKq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/klG08J9.jpg

343 has lied to our faces multiple times, including Infinite having co-op at launch after the Halo 5 blunder. There is no defending or damage controlling this. They divide the fandom with their decisions and broken promises enough as it is.

Smasandian
It's just a game...

BackFire
343 seems to have management issues. Not having Forge at launch is one thing, not having co-op campaign, which is something pretty iconic for the Halo series, is pretty significant and weird. I understand that the campaign of the game is different and less linear than prior games, and so co-op is going to be more complicated to figure out, but it's something they should have thought about a while ago.

Personally, for me, I don't care. I don't really play Co-op anymore. But I get that for some people it's a huge part of the game.

Smasandian
I care that it has co-op...because I will be play it with my friends online because it is fun to do so....but I really don't care if its Day 1 or a few months later.

Because either scenario requires me to wait.

Nemesis X
https://www.ign.com/articles/halo-infinite-battle-pass-progression-xp-challenges

Booo!

Nemesis X
You can't get XP just playing anymore like in past Halos but this is ok still?

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/get-halo-infinite-double-xp-by-eating-pringles-and-pop-tarts/1100-6496220/

343/M$ be like "No more XP for wasting time on our games but let's still offer alternatives like being a fat arse." This is straight double standard you get XP this way that's not a challenge in-game like they're pushing oh but it's cool, sponsors give money.

I've been tolerant of these stupid XP boost offerings you've seen everywhere since Halo 3/Modern Warfare because it's all options in a vast sea on how to level and I don't use 'em, I earned mine by playing so it's whatevs but I guess someone at the boardroom Phil attends was all "but free XP isn't making Pringles rich, we need to address" or something similar to that nature. I can't believe this isn't a controversy.

NemeBro
It's just a game... You are such a ****ing apologist. laughing out loud crylaugh

cdtm
You can't get XP just playing anymore like in past Halos but this is ok still?

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/get-halo-infinite-double-xp-by-eating-pringles-and-pop-tarts/1100-6496220/

343/M$ be like "No more XP for wasting time on our games but let's still offer alternatives like being a fat arse." This is straight double standard you get XP this way that's not a challenge in-game like they're pushing oh but it's cool, sponsors give money.

I've been tolerant of these stupid XP boost offerings you've seen everywhere since Halo 3/Modern Warfare because it's all options in a vast sea on how to level and I don't use 'em, I earned mine by playing so it's whatevs but I guess someone at the boardroom Phil attends was all "but free XP isn't making Pringles rich, we need to address" or something similar to that nature. I can't believe this isn't a controversy.

What XP? I'm firing up my Xbox 360 now, where does the campaign say anything about XP?

Smasandian
I think it's XP for the battle pass progression.

Nemesis X
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-09-21-it-will-take-a-halo-infinite-player-16-18-hours-before-they-run-out-of-daily-challenges

16-18 hours? That is gonna bring the completionist freak out in a lot playing this. Bad idea.

-Pr-
XCbMVbeKlCg

I should hate it with every fibre of my being. An open world FPS? I don't like those at all... and yet, memories of what I had wished Halo CE could be come flooding back and I'm suddenly very interested.

Smasandian
Is it completely open?

I hope there is dedicated scripted missions instead of just roaming around doing things.

I think Metro Exodus is a good example of this....open areas....but missions that take place in specific areas that provide a story element.

cdtm
Originally posted by -Pr-
XCbMVbeKlCg

I should hate it with every fibre of my being. An open world FPS? I don't like those at all... and yet, memories of what I had wished Halo CE could be come flooding back and I'm suddenly very interested.

Thought you didn't like Far Cry and Crysis, open world fps's.

-Pr-
Thought you didn't like Far Cry and Crysis, open world fps's.

I generally don't. I don't mind Crysis, but I loathe Far Cry. Can't get in to it at all.

But this... when I played CE back in the early 00s, I desperately wanted to play more missions that weren't all tight corridors. I just wonder if this doesn't swing too far the other way.

cdtm
I generally don't. I don't mind Crysis, but I loathe Far Cry. Can't get in to it at all.

But this... when I played CE back in the early 00s, I desperately wanted to play more missions that weren't all tight corridors. I just wonder if this doesn't swing too far the other way.

Didn't Halo 3 already accomplish that? Big outdoor arena's and such?

Smasandian
Halo has always had big open areas...but it was never open world. There is a distinction.

Crysis is not an open world game at all. Some areas are quite large and objectives can be tackled with a more sandbox element....but it's still a linear path.

The original Far Cry is the same thing...it wasn't until Ubisoft start making them that it moved to a completely open world environment.

-Pr-
Didn't Halo 3 already accomplish that? Big outdoor arena's and such?

I never played much of Halo 3.

Halo has always had big open areas...but it was never open world. There is a distinction.

Crysis is not an open world game at all. Some areas are quite large and objectives can be tackled with a more sandbox element....but it's still a linear path.

The original Far Cry is the same thing...it wasn't until Ubisoft start making them that it moved to a completely open world environment.

I was speaking specifically about Halo CE. It did have some open areas, but not nearly as much as I wanted.

==

As far as this game goes, I get a distinct feeling that they watched a lot of Just Cause and took some pointers from that.

cdtm
I never played much of Halo 3.

I was speaking specifically about Halo CE. It did have some open areas, but not nearly as much as I wanted.

==

As far as this game goes, I get a distinct feeling that they watched a lot of Just Cause and took some pointers from that.

First Halo game I tried Legendary on. Died several dozen times on the first encounter alone, the grenade spamming was ridiculous.

And then I read how Halo 3 was considered the easiest Legendary.

-Pr-
I dunno if I'd ever torture myself like that.

cdtm
I dunno if I'd ever torture myself like that.

Ha, I gave up as I was forcing myself to do it just to do it and wasn't having any fun, and went to the next highest difficulty.

Became much more manageable. And fun.

Smasandian
I tried legendary co-op style...and we stopped. Never found it fun....

Ridley_Prime
Whether co-op or solo depending on the game, I pride myself for being a veteran with legendary difficulty on all the Halo's. And yeah, Halo 3 is honestly one of the easiest ones in that regard, with CE and Halo 2 being on the other end of the spectrum. Reach was fairly challenging there too, and to some extent Halo 5 but mainly because of the Warden encounters.

Legendary in general's honestly not that bad once you know the maps of the levels enough and the enemy locations and how to best deal with them with the weapons you got available.

Now LASO (legendary all skulls on), that's another story. Legendary's basic stuff compared to LASO which only the most diehard players will get through.

In any case, I'll still wait till Infinite has co-op and other things added later, interesting as the campaign looked from the trailer.

cdtm
Halo 3 only has the LASO for coop.

Is it the only one?

BackFire
Looks really solid to me. Excited to play it.

Smasandian
I believe Halo Infinite MP is available now...
They are calling it a beta...but I believe it includes all maps, modes, seasons, battle pass stuff...and it will carry over when the game gets an official release next month.

Nemesis X
It's sure taking awhile finding a match. Can't even get so much as the tutorials started up.

Smasandian
Did the tutorials (surprised it was a cutscene....)
Man, there is a lot of firing range contests...each gun has three types of firing range contests....

And there is a lot of customization...
Battlepass seems to work similar to what The Division 2 did....get XP, unlock comestics....and you can pay for it if you want more stuff.

And...I wonder if you can get store credits without paying for it.

Nemesis X
The game plays & feels amazing but the wannabe Fortnite structure with it's in-game shop is as equally off-putting. After leveling up, thought it'd give me a trickle of currency at the very least but it doesn't do that nor does it appear as any of the rewards within the battle pass that has said rewards locked out unless you buy the premium battle pass that you can only get with the currency that looks like you seem to only get by paying real money. Only in beta and already dead before arrival.

Smasandian
I'm not sure I agree about the dead on arrival part.....I think gameplay is great and I think that's what people want.

Nemesis X
I'm not sure I agree about the dead on arrival part.....I think gameplay is great and I think that's what people want.

It helps the longevity. This crap about premiums & ad catalogues for things to buy with basically V-Bucks? No thank you. You think Overwatch for example would've survived as long as it does with the casual crowd if there weren't skins the majority you get just playing the game?

Smasandian
For some, yeah, I agree....I never would pay for that stuff.

I'm not 100% knowledgeable on all games...but there is a fair number of examples of free-to-play games that utilize this model and it clearly works. People will buy shit like this...

I'm not exactly sure on what can and cannot be unlocked....but I haven't seen a huge outrage of the battlepass system yet....and I know stuff like this can be changed if need be.

I think the steps are there...the game is fun to play (especially BTB) but maybe unlocks can be slightly modified.

Nemesis X
And that's the problem: if the multiplayer was part of Infinite, sharing the same disc/box as the campaign, they (maybe) wouldn't be approaching this predatory model. That's why this multiplayer is free in the first place and why it shouldn't be for this reason. You want to play a free game and support it, that's fine but this is crap you're forcing on an old franchise with long time fans. Halo is not something recent like Splitgate.

Smasandian
It seems most long time fans are ecstatic about the game.....
It's free-to-play....just seems you want to pay full price. I like cosmetics as much as the next guy....but the game is in first person view...aside from guns, you only see the cosmetics when the match starts/ends.

If you pay premium price for the battlepass, wouldn't it cover the cost of the full game 2-3 seasons later?

Nemesis X
The multiplayer for Halo should always be packaged with the story, sorry if I don't wanna pay extra for something unjustified. Look at Master Chief Collection: has seasons, cosmetics from all those seasons but wait! There's no premium for that, no price tag, no battle pass! That's what Infinite shoulda been like.

And don't pretend you don't also see your spartan when you're driving, riding, carrying around a portable turret, assassinating-oh wait the latter got delayed like campaign co-op and 343 wants ya forking extra when they can't add a few series staples in time?

Smasandian
So times change. Most MP games are free-to-play now. If they want to compete with Apex Legends, PUBG, Fornite and others....releasing a fully-fledge free-to-play MP game is something that needed to be done.

You seem to be arguing that you want to pay full price so you can play MP and campaign....but not OK paying full price to play just campaign (but still play MP)....

It seems people are annoyed by the progression of the battlepass...and I can understand that. I assume it's something they will be modifying quite quickly.

BackFire
Yeah said they are looking into it earlier, so they'll probably improve progression.

I played a bit last night. Can't say how it stacks up to Halo 4 or 5 MP, as I never played those. But i enjoyed what I played. Felt like Halo.

I will say that it's nice to see a Halo game getting hype again. Feels like this is probably the most hyped up people have been for a Halo game since Halo 3. I have high hopes for the campaign, think it looks like a lot of fun.

Smasandian
I played a bit more.....a few quick play arena matches, which were fun.

But I think my favourite is Big Team Battle....I had a real good time...and did pretty well. At the moment, it seems both teams are actually trying to win and play something resembling team coordination. And there is nothing more satisfying than killing somebody in a vehicle when they think they got you...that skewer gun is soo much fun.

Smasandian
It seems that campaign is like classic Halo mixed with open sections like Metro Exodus. People can go through the campaign like old Halo's if they want...but there is larger areas with side content available for people who want to play that type of stuff.

But...it's not like Far Cry at all.....I saw it being compared to Crysis and Metro Exodus.

Nemesis X
ls8KegK_MLQ

Twenty. Twenty dollars for a ****ing armor color! Buy two more colors and you be paying the same amount for the campaign for **** sake!

Nemesis X
There's going to be no armor rewards when playing the campaign.

https://www.dexerto.com/halo/halo-infinite-leaks-campaign-unlockable-armor-sets-multiplayer-1704168/

In an age where YouTube has removed dislikes so you don't hurt someone's feelings, maybe Microsoft is getting rid of cosmetic rewards like these so you don't make a kid who blew money on armor feel bad you logged in with a Legendary set. Look at the skins you unlock in Mortal Kombat 9 & 10 and then look at them in MK11. Same concept.

Smasandian
There will be unlocks in the SP campaign for MP. I literally watched a video of somebody unlock a cosmetic award in the campaign preview.

The article seems to be a bit misleading....it seems to me there isn't exclusive SP sets for MP...but there will be unlocks in the campaign for MP.

How many...who really knows until the SP gets released in a few weeks.

Arachnid1
There will be unlocks in the SP campaign for MP. I literally watched a video of somebody unlock a cosmetic award in the campaign preview.

The article seems to be a bit misleading....it seems to me there isn't exclusive SP sets for MP...but there will be unlocks in the campaign for MP.

How many...who really knows until the SP gets released in a few weeks.

I don't really care about some shaders as cosmetics if that's what you're talking about. I'd rather have some actual armor pieces to mix and match into my Spartan.

https://twitter.com/ChazJackal/status/1462461082921054214? ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm
%5E1462461082921054214%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fscreenrant.com%2Fhalo-infinite-campaign-no-armor-unlocks-campaign-leak%2F

Smasandian
True....personally, don't really care that much about cosmetics.
Assuming the tweet is correct, it does suck for people who want that type of stuff.

I think 343 should of skimped less on cosmetics...they would most likely sell the same amount of stuff anyways.

But it's how MP games work these days, unfortunate for some people.

Nemesis X
Shouldn't have to be. Many games to this day have been succussful without being as big a soulless money vacuum as free-to-plays are but kids & shills oblivious to how stupid pricing one set of gear or a color in the double digits is are poisoning this industry.

BackFire
Not terribly surprising considering the MP is free to play. Don't even need gamepass or anything.

Personally I think that was a mistake. F2P is inevitably going to have this kind of bullshit going on.

It's too bad, this is supposed to be Xbox's flagship title for probably the next couple of years or so, and by all accounts it's extremely fun to play (tried it a bit and it felt like Halo MP to me) but just has a very poor battlepass system and a lot of nickel and dime bullshit.

Hope they get it sorted.

Smasandian
Honestly, though...that's how MP shooters are now.

Fortnight, CoD Warzone, Apex Legends, CS:GO, TF2 and others....all free to play.
Stuff like DOTA2, League of Legends, Starcraft 2 and other games are all free.

It just what happens now.

I assume it makes more money but also brings more people in to keep the MP alive for the foreseeable future.

I have been hearing tons of stories of people coming back to Infinite because they are hearing "its like Halo MP and its fun" but they dont have to pay any money. I was literally asked to play in a group of people who haven't played Halo together since Halo 2 MP......this would never happen if the game was not free.

Nemesis X
First Halo I played was 3 and eversince I've liked progressing & unlocking, makes me feel I have something to show for my dedication to the games I enjoy having fun with at the same time. F2Ps are the exact opposite.

For 343 to say back in June this wouldn't feel like a second job, the batte pass sure makes it feel like that. The only method of progressing in a Halo now is finishing a distracting To Do list with medals you collect irrelevent because you didn't pick up that one specific gun everyone else is spawn camping for? I ain't having it. This is stupid.

cdtm
Not terribly surprising considering the MP is free to play. Don't even need gamepass or anything.

Personally I think that was a mistake. F2P is inevitably going to have this kind of bullshit going on.

It's too bad, this is supposed to be Xbox's flagship title for probably the next couple of years or so, and by all accounts it's extremely fun to play (tried it a bit and it felt like Halo MP to me) but just has a very poor battlepass system and a lot of nickel and dime bullshit.

Hope they get it sorted.

Remember when F.E.A.R. did that.

Hated it. You could never make out your team from the other because everyone wore dark.

Smasandian
First Halo I played was 3 and eversince I've liked progressing & unlocking, makes me feel I have something to show for my dedication to the games I enjoy having fun with at the same time. F2Ps are the exact opposite.

For 343 to say back in June this wouldn't feel like a second job, the batte pass sure makes it feel like that. The only method of progressing in a Halo now is finishing a distracting To Do list with medals you collect irrelevent because you didn't pick up that one specific gun everyone else is spawn camping for? I ain't having it. This is stupid.

You are right, the battle pass and unlocks need to be fixed for sure.
I couldn't really care less myself because I find the game fun, which is the important part for me. Though, I can understand peoples frustration.

Everybody talks about how games need to go back to how it used to be...and what MP used be was a set of maps, some guns and shooting each other. There was no unlocks, there was no progression or cosmetics. It was just playing videogames online with other people and seeing who was best...

That shit is not important to me so that's why I don't really care that much.....
But if progression and etc is important than I can understand the frustration.

BackFire
Honestly, though...that's how MP shooters are now.

Fortnight, CoD Warzone, Apex Legends, CS:GO, TF2 and others....all free to play.
Stuff like DOTA2, League of Legends, Starcraft 2 and other games are all free.

It just what happens now.

I assume it makes more money but also brings more people in to keep the MP alive for the foreseeable future.

I have been hearing tons of stories of people coming back to Infinite because they are hearing "its like Halo MP and its fun" but they dont have to pay any money. I was literally asked to play in a group of people who haven't played Halo together since Halo 2 MP......this would never happen if the game was not free.

Yeah, it's true. But I think that's not going to be a winning argument though, because most people are comparing Infinite to prior halo games, which had good unlock systems and decent progression systems, rather than comparing it to other F2P shooters.

Nemesis X
Oh my god are you serious?! MS low-key added DRM checks so even if you were lucky and a store gave you an early copy, you can't even play it yet! The disc is a lie!

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/83203/halo-infinite-discs-dont-contain-the-actual-game-is-drm-check/index.html

https://twitter.com/Bassergius/status/1467609395123138564

https://twitter.com/JesseJSNorris/status/1468354524389822468

BackFire
Been playing the campaign all day.

Really liking it. Combat is very fun. And the new weapons are awesome additions. The open world stuff lends itself very well to the halo formula.

Story seems interesting and mysterious. Grappling hook is awesome.

Smasandian
The grappling hook is killer....

I just did the first two levels...nothing open yet...but even in the linear levels, the grappling hook shines. Oh, I want to check that ledge out? Just grapple there....
Makes moving around the area super quick and efficient.

They could of just stopped there..but they allow the hook to be used during combat. Quick melee kills.....dropping jackel shields for a moment...awesome stuff.

BackFire
Finished the campaign.

Ended up really liking the story. The more intimate stuff particularly about Chief and Cortana and the weapon. Thought it was a really good portrayal of master chief and the wounds he's developed over the years.

The broader strokes sci fi stuff was alright, I'm interested in where the next campaigns will go.

Overall thought this was one of the better Halo campaigns.

Smasandian
I finally finished the campaign.
It's starts off well, the open world aspect is a nice change of pace but I think they could of done a bit more.....and some the mid-level missions are OK.

But I finished the the last few missions/content and I couldn't put it down....I was interested in the story and I like where it went and looking forward to where its going to go.

But the combat is fantastic.....that's why kept me invested....the last remaining missions throw everything at you and give you all the guns and etc you need and it felt like giant playgound......it felt incredible....there is this satisfying crunch when you kill enemies and I would 75% of the weapons feel amazing.

BackFire
Yeah, I loved the story, maybe my favorite story yet in Halo.

My only real complaint about the campaign is that from a level design perspective it was obviously pretty rushed. Almost all the interior rooms of the campaign look the same. There's very little visual variety, just a bunch of purple hallways and rooms.

Par the course for Halo really, but it didn't bother me very much this time because the combat was so much fun I didn't notice it too much. But environmental fatigue did set it. Also didn't like how the "point of no return" happened pretty early in the story and there wasn't really a warning. I also wish the open world areas had more variety too, would have loved a snow area or a swamp area and what have you.

All small complaints though. And I expect upcoming expansions will help with that a great deal. Enjoyed the game a lot.

Smasandian
I agree....though some of the later levels have a fair amount of detail in the textures and etc...

I because I got less annoyed about the same environments than I would in the past...probably because I wasn't playing in large blocks of time.

Sound design is incredible though.....headshots, gravity hammers, melee all sound fantastic.

BackFire
I didn't get very annoyed either, I think it's because while the environments are samey, the actual combat is excellent and consistently really fun, so the environments were an easy thing to overlook.

Yeah, all the sound effects were spot on. Also really liked the music. Some of the new songs were great.

ares834
Beat the campaign, it was fine. I liked the gameplay. But the story was absolute ass. Almost as bad as 5. Cortana was beat offscreen? lmao wut? She's apparently terrorized the entire galaxy, destroyed the UNSC, and some Covenant splinter faction beats her... Huh? And once again, all of this shit happens offscreen! The conflict the previous game set up was dealt with entirely offscreen. Then they just replace her with some new shitty knock off?! **** that. Absolute garbage story telling. Embarrassingly bad. ​

The actual plot of the game wasn't much better. Aside from the Cortana stuff it felt like filler. Felt like nothing of import happened.

Tzeentch
Infinite's story is basically the Rise of Skywalker of Halo's in that it's in the rough position of having to apologize for pissing everyone off with 5. That means basically throwing out and/or soft-retconning everything that happened in 5. So no evil!Cortana, no dead USNC. The Weapon is just a soft-retcon of Cortana dying, etc.

The plot is deliberately filler so that the story can start with a blank slate. 343 is basically considering 4-6 a wash and is going to start over from scratch with lesson's (hopefully) learned for the next trilogy. You hate to see it. But that's capitalism.

I also really like the gameplay in Infinite though too.

BackFire
Reading your guys' issues with the story, all fair points, but none of those issues really bothered me personally. Maybe it's because I never really took Halo's story very seriously and never really thought it was anything above mediocre, but I was happy they largely sidestepped most of the nonsense in Halo 5, as it would have been very difficult, if not impossible, to follow that up in a way that was fulfilling or interesting. Dealing with Cortana's dollar store reapers would have just been ridiculous, and frankly having her become the big villain is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in fiction, so to have all that bullshit resolve off screen was totally fine by me as it's less I have to think or hear about it.

Plus the fact is most people did not like fighting the new forerunner enemies in Halo 4/5. I think that was one of the things I was most happy about in Halo Infinite, that we only fought against the covenant races. One of the things the series has always struggled with is having the non covenant races be fun to fight. The flood were shitty and boring in the original trilogy, and the forerunners were in the 343 games. So for infinite to finally embrace only fighting the enemeis that are actually fun to fight against was a great move and I think largely explains why we were basically fighting against the covenant 2.0. From a story perspective it may not be very interesting, but from a gameplay perspective it was the right move, I think.

But back to the story, I thought it handled the cortana stuff as well as possible considering how bad Halo 5's story was in that regard. Though I'm not totally keen on them essentially replacing her with a new, sweeter cortana, I did enjoy the progression of the relationship between the weapon and chief, and I really liked how the game continued the idea from Halo 4 of showing chief as being more human, and a bit broken on an emotional level, with a lot of emotional scars that he tries to hide. Makes him a much more compelling character.

Smasandian
That might be it...I'm not super keen on the entire Halo series story either....something something about some lost race of beings...something something some crazy death rings.....

I have probably read all the lore/story a fair number of times and I still forget what happens.

I also feel the same way regarding most of the previous games as well.

BackFire
Yeah, Halo has always been very run of the mill military sci fi stuff. Nothing terribly unique or special about it. The only reaosn it got attention was because it was one of the few FPS games to put any kind of emphasis on story telling.

Ridley_Prime
Glad I dont care much for NU Halo lore or I would be pissed at the lack of spoiler tags here. Still waiting till co-op and other basic shit features are added before I consider trying this game.

Smasandian
Yeah, Halo has always been very run of the mill military sci fi stuff. Nothing terribly unique or special about it. The only reaosn it got attention was because it was one of the few FPS games to put any kind of emphasis on story telling.

Is that true? Maybe on console but PC shooters were doing story stuff for awhile (Dues Ex, No One Lives Forever and etc).

I always took Halo as being important because of the new mechanics (only getting 2-3 weapons, instant throw grenades and the most important, regen health)

Coming from a person who played games like Half-Life, Deus Ex, AvP2, I never understood the draw the original Halo games had....

BackFire
Is that true? Maybe on console but PC shooters were doing story stuff for awhile (Dues Ex, No One Lives Forever and etc).

I always took Halo as being important because of the new mechanics (only getting 2-3 weapons, instant throw grenades and the most important, regen health)

Coming from a person who played games like Half-Life, Deus Ex, AvP2, I never understood the draw the original Halo games had....

Well yeah. With Halo there's pretty much always going to be a qualifier, unsaid or said, that all the things it innovated are in regards to console shooters mostly, outside of the things like limited weapon carry and health regen and so on.

Like compared to something like Half Life, the story is amateur hour. But the fact that they put any effort at all into story and world building was fairly novel at that point in time I think.

Nemesis X
WWKPUkL3DpI

Nemesis X
Infinite appearing to be on the decline lately.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2022/02/06/halo-infinite-has-fallen-outside-xboxs-top-5-outside-steams-top-100/?sh=21b6d43d3bea

Being a F2P, perhaps everything should've been pooled into one big mode like Warzone that was introduced in Halo 5 but on a grander scale here. Would've made a decent distraction and let 343 collect themselves before attempting more modes that are either delayed or out but hella buggy.

Smasandian
Meh, I think it's just the sign of the times. This type of multiplayer experience is not nearly as popular as it used to be. I think it's more of the credit that Halo Infinite MP is this popular considering the other games being mentioned.

Battle Royale games.
Roblox is its own separate beast.
GTAV is GTAV.

It would be more worrisome if a Halo-like game was ahead....

Nemesis X
That or many are just put off with the lack of features and communication. Big Team Battle still disconnecting people, challenges have ruined ranked, cheaters still infesting the servers with no option to turn crossplay off despite many constantly demanding one. It's bad. But that's ok! There's a literal halo you can put on your spartan in the store! Woo!

Tzeentch
GAAS is inherently shit and the business model pissed a lot of people off. Furthermore, the game had anemic content and features at launch and a ton of bugs. It's just your average dogshit AAA title launch.

BackFire
I wonder if they'll stick with the idea that the game will be their 10 year plan for Halo, or if they'll abandon it since apparently players aren't sticking with it like they thought.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.