Can the Earth defend itself?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ShadowFyre
Have no idea where to post this, tired of talking about fights and Covid and politics. I understand many of you are religious and that is fine. But please humor me and let's pretend like evolution and things of that nature exists because ______ made it so. I am agnostic and I don't believe the Earth is an intelligent being, but I do believe the universe is in its own way, or that rules were put in place to keep things dying.

So, when a population gets out of control, the Earth/God/Mother Nature or whatever either makes a new predator to deal with it or in some cases l Ike the lemmings, cause them to.committ mass suicide. So here is my question and kinda what I believe.

Do you think that if we keep populating, that we will start evolving a suicidal tendency or even "gene". Yes I know we already have suicide, but this would be like on a massive scale. If so, how do you think it would come about? Just in forms of depression or you just spontaneously decide to jump off a cliff?

Or, do you think as I do, that diseases, natural disasters, wars etc. Are all just ways for the Earth to check intelligent populations? Raising aggression in humans so that they fight more, more and more diseases etc.

Orrrrrrr and this a little out there, new human predator just pops up. Maybe some kind of parasite, or some venomous bug starts spreading across the planet. Or Sharks get lazers or whatever you think. There is so much we don't know, I like talking about this stuff

BrolyBlack
Talk to whirly he likes talking about conspiracy theories

Eon Blue

S_W_LeGenD
There are certain issues which will push MANKIND to come together to address (each) irrespective of FAITH and other considerations.

VOICES which seek to undermine perpetuation of HUMANITY as a whole, should be discouraged in my view.

jaden_2.0
No.

Adam_PoE
GyOMYC6mlsY

Surtur
#RubyWeapon

Scribble
Originally posted by Surtur
#RubyWeapon #AllWeaponsMatter

Surtur
Those were some hard fights

Scribble
Those were some hard fights They're actually really easy if you grind to lvl 99 and have a very good working knowledge of materia, like I did

Well, Ruby is harder because you have to fight it solo, but get Yuffie on that shit, the Conformer is a beast against high-HP enemies

Then again, this was on my most recent playthrough (circa 2017), so it was the first time I actually ever really tried fighting them seriously

ares834
Obviously no. Nature keeps populations in check by scarcity of resources and increases in predator population size. It does not randomly create suicide genes or brand new predators or whatever. So what will keep humanity's population under control is recourse limits and all that that entails.

#RubyWeapon

Damn. Forgot about this...

SquallX
Originally posted by Scribble
They're actually really easy if you grind to lvl 99 and have a very good working knowledge of materia, like I did

Well, Ruby is harder because you have to fight it solo, but get Yuffie on that shit, the Conformer is a beast against high-HP enemies

Then again, this was on my most recent playthrough (circa 2017), so it was the first time I actually ever really tried fighting them seriously

Omega weapon from FF8 make everyone his *****. Unless you The End his ass with Selphie.

Scribble

Surtur
I hated FF8. Hated it.

Eon Blue
I dug FF8. It was my first in the series, not the best title, but still memorable.

ShadowFyre
Actually, the lemmings literally suicided themselves and new predators used to evolve all the time. I didn't mean like *poof* here's a dragon. I assumed everyone would know that it takes thousands of years for it to happen if not longer

BackFire

ares834
Originally posted by ShadowFyre
Actually, the lemmings literally suicided themselves and new predators used to evolve all the time. I didn't mean like *poof* here's a dragon. I assumed everyone would know that it takes thousands of years for it to happen if not longer

Thousands of years is way too long. Population growth and decline happens in a far smaller length of time.

Blakemore
Before me, and not including Backfire, this thread was full of Patricks. Even the title sounds like "is mayonaise an instrument?"

Eon Blue
Originally posted by Blakemore
Before me, and not including Backfire, this thread was full of Patricks. Even the title sounds like "is mayonaise an instrument?"

Shut up, pedo.

Mindship
Earth doesn't have to do anything. Humanity will *manage* itself, one way or the other.

dadudemon
To the question from OP:

Will nature destroy humanity or will humanity outsmart nature and survive?

I'm of the opinion that humanity has already done this twice, now.

Near-modern hominid species dwindled into just mere tens of thousands (total across all hominid species) about 1 million years ago: a point of near extinction.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/early-human-population-size-genetic-diversity/

And again about 70,000 years ago during the Toba super-volcano eruption which dropped our early human population down to almost nothing:

https://www.npr.org/sections/krulwich/2012/10/22/163397584/how-human-beings-almost-vanished-from-earth-in-70-000-b-c

From the above, I've read articles that suggested humans were down to fewer than 200 humans and we simply made babies, did lots of incest stuff, and here we are today with over 7 billion humans.

Also, due to our technology, I do not think we will ever be wiped out unless we wipe ourselves out. Meaning, no, nature will not kill us. If we do all die, it will be due to something we have done to ourselves.

Blakemore
Is mayonaise an instrument?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.