Apollo Creed vs. Rocky Balboa

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

deft
Prime Apollo Creed vs. Prime Rocky Balboa

Who wins?

KingD19
In his prime I dont think Apollo has the power to KO Rocky.

relentless1
they did this fight already.... twice...

riv6672

KingD19
And Prime Rocky is Rocky 4 which is on a different level than any of the movies before.

riv6672
Originally posted by KingD19
And Prime Rocky is Rocky 4 which is on a different level than any of the movies before.
Agreed.
He payed for it w. the beating he took (he was never the same), but he was def. at his best for that fight to not only survive it but win.

John Murdoch
I think this is a feats-we've-seen vs feats-implied kind of fight.

As has been stated, we the audience have never seen prime Apollo.

We have, however, seen that Rocky has 80's action star durability and strength, as his final bout with Drago and even his wrestling match with Thunderlips shows. Here's another key point: Rocky also has the training from Apollo's camp from Rocky III and adopted Apollo's fighting style to make it his own against Clubber Lang.

So, we have an implied Muhammed Ali vs a boxer that has his own power-stamina laden fighting style + the speed and agility style of his opponent + is nigh-superhuman when it comes to the durability and strength physical stats department.

Honestly, I think this one conclusively be given to Rocky unless one argues from speculation and conjecture.

StiltmanFTW
Apollo does have one off-screen victory against Rocky.

But... you could argue that was before Rocky reached his peak (before he faced Drago).

Then again, both Rocky and Apollo complain about being shadows of their former selves in Rocky IV, so plenty of contradictions here.

HulkIsHulk
The Drago fight was also mindset. That was intensely personal. Every fight Rocky came out on top had him desperately wanting to win. In the first and 6th movie, his plan was to simply go the distance/last until the final round.

In the third movie he never expected a challenge from Clubber thus took training lightly, plus he was just angry at him and wanted to pound him.

Another example for mindset assisting Rocky is in the second movie - after getting floored several times Rocky says I am not going down again, and after that Apollo never drops him.

So that off-screen fight Rocky wouldn't be be trying to lose, but won't be trying his hardest either. I mean he came out with just a black eye. Any other fight of Rocky he ends up drenched in blood and covered in bruises.
Plus he won't have anyone giving him tips, motivating him and cheering him either.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by HulkIsHulk

In the third movie he never expected a challenge from Clubber thus took training lightly, plus he was just angry at him and wanted to pound him.

He was so worried about Mickey, he couldn't focus on the fight.

Plus, he had become "civilized" and temporarily lost the "eye of the tiger", as pointed out in the film.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by HulkIsHulk
So that off-screen fight Rocky wouldn't be be trying to lose, but won't be trying his hardest either. I mean he came out with just a black eye. Any other fight of Rocky he ends up drenched in blood and covered in bruises.
Plus he won't have anyone giving him tips, motivating him and cheering him either.

It was always assumed that Rocky won that fight, anyway.

Before "Creed" hit the screens, that is.

Maybe Rocky just wanted to cherish Apollo's memory and felt that he won, even though Apollo himself might've disagreed --- we'll never know the whole story.

riv6672
Pretty sure that offscreen fight was more of a sparring match anyway.

Jmanghan
Rocky wins.

Talk about "different styles" all you want but at the end of the day, Rocky beat an opponent that LITERALLY killed Apollo in the ring, and tbh Rocky and Apollo weren't that apart in age.

Like 2-3 year difference.

Psychotron
Apollo might have been a bit out of his prime, but he couldn't even last 2 rounds against Drago, while Rocky went the distance and won. A significantly pre-prime Rocky took Apollo to the limit in Rocky 1 and won in Rocky 2.

BruceSkywalker
they both fall , but rocky beats the 10 count

KingD19
Creed's not putting RIV Rocky down. Drago couldn't do it no matter what he tried, and that includes so many headshots he hurt his hands since Rocky's "chin is like lead".

riv6672
Originally posted by KingD19
Creed's not putting RIV Rocky down.
An amalgam of Rocky and i would be unstoppable, yes.

StiltmanFTW
laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

Robtard
Rocky would win as Rocky wins. He'd absorb an inhuman amount of damage, KO his opponent and then make a stupid face.

big juggy man
This is a old thread but I just seen it.

First off I assume most of you people don't watch real boxing and you didn't watch the series.

Rocky in Rocky 4 wasn't in his prime. No human being's prime is in their late 30's. Rocky was done as a top fighter. Even in Rocky 3 Mick stated he was hand picking Rocky's opponents because Rocky couldn't beat top contenders anymore.

Also we seen in a late 20's/early 30's Rocky fight Apollo and Rocky lost the first fight and was on verge of beating Rocky easier in their second bout. Apollo had to lose for storyline reasons. If Apollo won again where would the series go? Rocky would of lost twice to Apollo already.

Apollo should always beat Rocky if Apollo is trained and actually motivated.

riv6672
Originally posted by big juggy man

First off I assume most of you people don't watch real boxing and you didn't watch the series.

Rocky in Rocky 4 wasn't in his prime. No human being's prime is in their late 30's. Rocky was done as a top fighter. Even in Rocky 3 Mick stated he was hand picking Rocky's opponents because Rocky couldn't beat top contenders anymore.

Also we seen in a late 20's/early 30's Rocky fight Apollo and Rocky lost the first fight and was on verge of beating Rocky easier in their second bout. Apollo had to lose for storyline reasons. If Apollo won again where would the series go? Rocky would of lost twice to Apollo already.

^^^TLDNR eek!

Robtard
Originally posted by Robtard
Rocky would win as Rocky wins. He'd absorb an inhuman amount of damage, KO his opponent and then make a stupid face.

^TBF, Rocky makes stupid faces throughout his fights, not just the end. He even makes stupid faces outside the ring.

StiltmanFTW
One would wonder if it counts as acting or just Stallone being himself... shifty

Robtard
There lies Stallone's brilliance

riv6672
Originally posted by Robtard
There lies Stallone's brilliance
^^^ yes

h1a8
Prime means at their best. Rocky was at his best in Rocky 4.
Drago was punching with tons of force, enough to kill a human (he killed Apollo). Rocky tanked many many of those hits and won the fight.
2nd, Apollo couldn't even affect Drago with his punches.
Rocky was able to hurt Drago and ko him.

So not only Rocky is insanely more durable (Apollo wouldn't be able to hurt Rocky) but Rocky is so strong that he can mess Apollo up very quickly.

Apollo would still be faster and more elusive but Rocky will eventually catch him and punish him well. Easy win for Rocky

riv6672
^^^We've never seen Prime Apollo Creed.

Thinkerer

What does this series have to do with real boxing? Its unrealistic as ****. No guard, no blocking, no doodging, just catching every punch with the face...

h1a8
Originally posted by riv6672
^^^We've never seen Prime Apollo Creed.

Yes we have. Apollo in Rocky 2 was prime apollo.
Remember Prime means at his best.
Apollo was wayyy better (he trained his hardest) in Rocky 2 than in Rocky 1.

It's fair to assume he was in the best shape of his life.

FrothByte

Randy Couture hit his prime in his late 30's/early 40's. Lennox Lewis hit his prime in his mid to late 30's. Not everyone will hit their prime age at the same time. On average men will hit their prime somewhere around late 20's to early 30's but there are always exceptions.

Prime simply means the a person at their best, peak performance.

riv6672
Originally posted by h1a8
Yes we have. Apollo in Rocky 2 was prime apollo.
Remember Prime means at his best.
Apollo was wayyy better (he trained his hardest) in Rocky 2 than in Rocky 1.

It's fair to assume he was in the best shape of his life.
^^^No Eye of The Tiger, no prime Creed.
HHcadPvUSQU

Originally posted by FrothByte
Randy Couture hit his prime in his late 30's/early 40's. Lennox Lewis hit his prime in his mid to late 30's. Not everyone will hit their prime age at the same time. On average men will hit their prime somewhere around late 20's to early 30's but there are always exceptions.

Prime simply means the a person at their best, peak performance.
^^^QFT

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.