What power would you choose? No drawbacks

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Astner
Agelessness. You stop aging, and for the remainder of your life you won't age a day. Your immune system will not naturally weaken over time, your general appearance will remain the same, but a change in diet or exercise will change your appearance. You're still susceptible to diseases and physical trauma.

Chronomancy. You can stop time at will. During a time stop you don't age, you can move around freely and visually perceive your surroundings, but you can't physically interact with your surroundings. If you stop time at point A and move to point B and start time your body will appear to have teleported.

Pansophy. You know everything. From events taken place in the distant past to every event that will take place from this moment on. You know everyone better than they know themselves, and there's no subject that eludes you.

Peak Human Condition. You wake up and look into the mirror and find that you're in your early twenties again, but with a couple of notable differences. You're the fastest, strongest and most intelligent man who's ever lived.

Reincarnation. Each time you die you'll be reborn in an other human body. You lose your memories each time you die, so after the first death you will lose your knowledge of your ability to reincarnate. But you will continue to reincarnate until the last human is born.

Telepathy. You can read minds and influence the minds of others. By focusing on a particular individual you can dig into their conscious, subconscious and unconscious and elevate or suppress the ideas residing therein.

Teleporter. Any destination is a thought away. You, and any set of objects or individuals you think of will go with you. You can't use this power to teleport people to a destination without going with them.

Magnon
Teleporter could be awesome fun (not to mention very useful). Hop in a spaceship (or rather, any construct that can withstand vacuum) with some scientist friends and equipment, and explore the universe -- maybe even go beyond the cosmological horizon! Would have to find out a way not to get lost, first, though (the universe is a big place). And be careful not to break causality by recklessly hopping between spacelike separated events.

xJLxKing
Telepathy: Mind over body

There is no drawbacks to this power

wxyz
Teleporter or Peak Human Condition.

ilikecomics
Pansophy. Would this not include info on how to emulate the other powers?

abhilegend
Telepathy

BrolyBlack
Teleportation, to be nigh omnipresent is the ultimate power

zopzop
Reincarnation would be the best one but what's the point if you lose your memory each time? So I'd go with Chronomancy.

krisblaze
Do other people get powers as well?

Astner
Originally posted by ilikecomics
Pansophy. Would this not include info on how to emulate the other powers?
Not necessarily, you just know all there is to know. If there is a cure for aging (which I'd doubt) you would be able to produce it, supposing you had access to all the necessary components.

Originally posted by krisblaze
Do other people get powers as well?
No, the power will be limited to the one making the choice.

spetznaz

krisblaze
Originally posted by Astner
No, the power will be limited to the one making the choice.
So I'll be the only one in the world with super powers?

Astner

DarkSaint85
Being the most intelligent man who ever lived is quite a lofty peak. You're talking Archimedes, Da Vinci, Einstein etc.

Whilst being Olympic level and beyond in strength, speed and stamina.

Of course, we would also need the determination and willpower to fully utilize our gifts.

Sasaraixx
Nice thread an interesting choices. The only real dud there is reincarnation because you don't retain your memories.

At first I was leaning towards chronomancy, but without the ability to interact with your surroundings, its applications are somewhat limited.

Pansopy, telepathy, and teleportation are the winners in the bunch and I would be thrilled with any of them.

Between pansopy and telepathy, the former has a bigger drawback to me. It might be very difficult going through life knowing everything that is going to happen. Or maybe it will make living easier. I'm not sure. I think pansopy has greater potential in terms of what you could achieve for yourself and society.

With telepathy you can choose whether or not to read someone's mind, so there is freedom there. You would be better able to manage/manipulate interpersonal relationships. But then, if you know what everyone is going to do, do you need to know what they are thinking? Ugh. This is difficult!

For pansopy, what events do you know? Will I know every minute detail down to whether my neighbors husband is going to cheat on her, will my best friend lie to me about if I look fat in this shirt, etc? If so, I think telepathy loses a little of its value.

beatboks
pansopy by far.
1. I will know exactly where every priceless artifact lost to history is and be able yo recover it.

2. I will know the winning numbers of every lotto that will ever be drawn, winner of every race or sporting event that will ever be run. My gambling will not only make my life fa tastic but feed every one without, fund medicine for those that cant afford it, fund the resolution to every problem man will have for generations.

3. I will know the future inventions that benifit man as well as those that harm. I will know how to prevent the harm and be able to produce that solution before the problem presents itself.

4. I will know every desease that will occur before it does, what treatments will be effective and how to make them. I'll e able to produce the cures for deseases before the deseases.

Knowing everyone better than themselves I could become a benificent world ruler duely democratically elected to represent every nation because I would know what to say to correctly influence every faction.

In the last century mankind went from riding animals to launching vehicles into space, with pansopy I'll be able to elevate society to beyond what we see in Star trek. Take man to the stars, abolish so much

Magnon
Pansophy would make you lose free will. You would already know everything you will ever do and everything you will ever experience. For the rest of your life you would just be going through the motions, nothing could ever surprise you, nothing could ever bring you joy.

Newjak
The Peak Condition one is the one that interests me the most.

All of the others sound cool on paper but come with some interesting drawbacks.

For instance Agelessness sounds cool being able to experience the futures innovations of man. But you can still get hurt badly and wind up unable to enjoy your internal youth. Even then you'll watch love after love die. Eventually you probably won't be able to form long lasting relationships.

Telepathy is cool until you realize it's basically raping another person's mind. You could argue you'll only ever use it for good. To stop bad guys but even I'm that act you'll still have to invade the minds of a lot of innocent people to find the bad guys.

Also Reincarnation without retaining your memories still means the you you were still effectively dies anyways.

beatboks
Originally posted by Magnon
Pansophy would make you lose free will. You would already know everything you will ever do and everything you will ever experience. For the rest of your life you would just be going through the motions, nothing could ever surprise you, nothing could ever bring you joy.

No that would mean there is no cause and effect. If you knew a choice was goingnto end out bad and subsequently didnt make it which worked well then that is the route younwould take. So instead of "going.thru the motions'you would be going thru the right motions. You'd still have the choice to do the opposite (if you ever wanted to mix it up) so it doesnt remove free will. Plus there might be a dozen choices you could make that all have a varied positive ending

Magnon
Originally posted by beatboks
No that would mean there is no cause and effect. If you knew a choice was goingnto end out bad and subsequently didnt make it which worked well then that is the route younwould take. So instead of "going.thru the motions'you would be going thru the right motions. You'd still have the choice to do the opposite (if you ever wanted to mix it up) so it doesnt remove free will. Plus there might be a dozen choices you could make that all have a varied positive ending
No, you cannot make any choices at all if you are omniscient. You would already know everything you will ever do, otherwise you wouldn't be omniscient.

Pansophia and the ability to make choices are mutually exclusive traits.

DarkSaint85
But you'd surely know what your choices give.

Like playing a video game several times. You know how people would react to option A, B and C.

StiltmanFTW
I want Astner's superpower to be able to waste 15 years on KMC CBVF while hardly participating in any versus debates and not giving a single f*ck about comics in general biscuits

StiltmanFTW
He's much like... GECKO... in that department...

Could there be a connection?! mmm

Magnon
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
But you'd surely know what your choices give.

Like playing a video game several times. You know how people would react to option A, B and C.
It doesn't matter. You would be unable to make any choice whatsoever, you'd already know everything you will ever do.

"It is a rainy Friday afternoon in August 16th, 2041. I enter a coffee shop at 53 Avenue Trudaine, Paris, at 16:35 and order some coffee and a piece of cheesecake while waiting for the rain to stop at 17:14."

And in 21 years this is exactly what you would have to do. You'd be like an automaton, doing the predetermined motions.

DarkSaint85
It doesn't matter. You would be unable to make any choice whatsoever, you'd already know everything you will ever do.

"It is a rainy Friday afternoon in August 16th, 2041. I enter a coffee shop at 53 Avenue Trudaine, Paris, at 16:35 and order some coffee and a piece of cheesecake while waiting for the rain to stop at 17:14."

And in 21 years this is exactly what you would have to do.

Yeah, I was agreeing with you btw (you posted as I was posting).

If I go into the shop at 16:45 (just for variety) I'd also know that they'd have sold out of cheesecake in that time, and so I'd order a brownie instead.

There would be no free will.

h1a8
Originally posted by Astner
Agelessness. You stop aging, and for the remainder of your life you won't age a day. Your immune system will not naturally weaken over time, your general appearance will remain the same, but a change in diet or exercise will change your appearance. You're still susceptible to diseases and physical trauma.

Chronomancy. You can stop time at will. During a time stop you don't age, you can move around freely and visually perceive your surroundings, but you can't physically interact with your surroundings. If you stop time at point A and move to point B and start time your body will appear to have teleported.

Pansophy. You know everything. From events taken place in the distant past to every event that will take place from this moment on. You know everyone better than they know themselves, and there's no subject that eludes you.

Peak Human Condition. You wake up and look into the mirror and find that you're in your early twenties again, but with a couple of notable differences. You're the fastest, strongest and most intelligent man who's ever lived.

Reincarnation. Each time you die you'll be reborn in an other human body. You lose your memories each time you die, so after the first death you will lose your knowledge of your ability to reincarnate. But you will continue to reincarnate until the last human is born.

Telepathy. You can read minds and influence the minds of others. By focusing on a particular individual you can dig into their conscious, subconscious and unconscious and elevate or suppress the ideas residing therein.

Teleporter. Any destination is a thought away. You, and any set of objects or individuals you think of will go with you. You can't use this power to teleport people to a destination without going with them.

A few questions.
1. Chronomancy. Can you get rest while time is stopped? For instance, say you needed to make up some sleep. Can you stop time and sleep and then start back time feeling refreshed?

2. Peak Human Condition. Do you always stay that way? Do you age?
How much smarter than the smartest human? Limitless pill smart?

Stoic
Peak human for sure. No major drawbacks, and you can be the GOAT at any sport of your choosing.

Control of time? Oh hell yeah, never late for anything, and never appear to tire.

Knowing everything would make you extremely annoying to others. You'd realize this when you smoke a joint, have a bad trip and become the Leader (Marvel). Tight suit and all.

Live forever? What in this life would ever want you to hang around forever for? That power's the worst.

Telepathy is fine until you find out that all of your friends want to pump your wife. Then what? Yeah exactly.

Teleporter? Hell no. Imagine what it would be like to teleport to spaces that are no longer empty. Double Hell No.

Parmaniac
Originally posted by h1a8
2. Peak Human Condition. Do you always stay that way? Do you age?
How much smarter than the smartest human? Limitless pill smart? He's got reincarnation as an extra power, with an extremely shitty drawback even, you sure as hell age while peak human.

beatboks
No, you cannot make any choices at all if you are omniscient. You would already know everything you will ever do, otherwise you wouldn't be omniscient.

Once again, NO
You still have the ability to make choices, omniscience would simply mean you would know what the result is of making alternate choices. Lets say that someone has the power with a different mindframe than mine and chooses total personal gain without benefiting others. That is a choice. Knowing what you will see if you turn left, or right, or go straight ahead doesnt mean it chooses the direction you would actually go. Knowingnthe cure to a desease before it becomes known doesnt mean you have to choose to make it. It might be that there are downsides of a solution that you choose to make anyway.

Unless the power precludes cause and effect there is still a choice, the fact that you would know the results of each alternative choice in advance might influence that choice but doesnt make it set in stone. Getting in a car at 10.15 and drivinf somewhere might mean your in an accident that kills someone, so you might leave at 10.10, 10.20 or an hour later all with a similar non lethal result. That doesn't mean you don't know what happens if you leave at each time. Hell the fact that you might produce something that someonenelse made is a choice to take that thing from them. Just because you know the winning numbers of every lotto ever doesnt mean you enter all of them.

Stoic
Once again, NO
You still have the ability to make choices, omniscience would simply mean you would know what the result is of making alternate choices. Lets say that someone has the power with a different mindframe than mine and chooses total personal gain without benefiting others. That is a choice. Knowing what you will see if you turn left, or right, or go straight ahead doesnt mean it chooses the direction you would actually go. Knowingnthe cure to a desease before it becomes known doesnt mean you have to choose to make it. It might be that there are downsides of a solution that you choose to make anyway.

Unless the power precludes cause and effect there is still a choice, the fact that you would know the results of each alternative choice in advance might influence that choice but doesnt make it set in stone. Getting in a car at 10.15 and drivinf somewhere might mean your in an accident that kills someone, so you might leave at 10.10, 10.20 or an hour later all with a similar non lethal result. That doesn't mean you don't know what happens if you leave at each time. Hell the fact that you might produce something that someonenelse made is a choice to take that thing from them. Just because you know the winning numbers of every lotto ever doesnt mean you enter all of them.

True. I know that donuts and fried food are the leading causes of cancer, but I'll have another donut one day.

Magnon
Once again, NO

Wrong. You wouldn't have a choice because you'd already know in advance what you are going to do. You'd know in advance everything you're ever going to do and that leaves no room for choice or "free will". You can't be all-knowing if you don't know what you will factually do.

The moment one gains pansophy their future (as well as the future of everyone and everything else) becomes set in stone. Pansophy is more than just knowing what CAN happen; it means one knows what truly WILL happen.

carver9
Peak condition

Adam Grimes
Whichever gives me the ability to kill Assnerd.

DarkSaint85
Wrong. You wouldn't have a choice because you'd already know in advance what you are going to do. You'd know in advance everything you're ever going to do and that leaves no room for choice or "free will". You can't be all-knowing if you don't know what you will factually do.

The moment one gains pansophy their future (as well as the future of everyone and everything else) becomes set in stone. Pansophy is more than just knowing what CAN happen; it means one knows what truly WILL happen.

Yup.

Let's say you have two choices in front of you. You know exactly what would happen if you chose option 1; you know exactly what would happen if you chose option 2; and you know exactly what would happen if you didn't choose either option.

The only way it doesn't get boring, is if Schrodinger's effect comes into play - i.e. you don't know UNTIL you choose.

To use Stoic's example, yes, you know donuts give you cancer, and yet you still choose to eat them - but this goes FAR beyond that. It's knowing EXACTLY which donut is the one that tips you over the edge into obesity/cancer; the exact date that your cells start mutating (and the exact cell that kickstarts the whole shebang).

So ok, armed with this knowledge, you deliberately undergo surgery and cut it out, and you know if it is successful or not. You also know how long it takes to recover, the activities you do during your hospital stay, the Netflix shows you watch during this time, the plot twists, everything. You know what the nurses say to you, who comes to visit (or doesn't), the food you will eat, what it tastes like, everything.

Wonder Man

beatboks

When you are omniscient you know everything. That means you know what would happen if you made alternate choices. If you don't, then your not omniscient because there are things you dont know (the effects of those alternate choices). Since your aware of them the choice exists, you simply have more information to make that choice.

Lets say for example you know how to make a vaccine for corvid 19 (all knowing). You know that it wont be available (as it would be released without you doing it earlier)until 2024 and in that time several million more die. You can choose to help it get produced earlier anf avoid those millions of deaths. Lets say you know releasing it before six months would mean in 3 generations we will have the next Hitler or Genghis Kahnnand their existance will cost the lives of nearly a billion. You can choose to make sure its released in 6 months and a day only losing a few hundred thousand more. Or tonwait until it was going to be released. Alternately you could choose to create it now and alter it sonit doesnt work on a certain family line.

The idea that your saying you would knownevery choice your going to make and therefore have no freedom would actually mean you are not ALL KNOWING, because you dont know thenalternatives, or about choice. The limitation your placing on omniscience makesnit not omniscience as it denies knowledge and therefore isnt all knowing

beatboks
You can't be all-knowing if you don't know what you will factually do.

You cant be all knowing if you dont know what choice feels like. You also cant be all knowing if you dont know the alternatives. Your supposition re free will puts limits on the kkowledge. Its contradictory. Never mind the fact that unless you also have omnipitance you cant control the choices of others. They dont possess omniscince and can still choose opposite paths which means the choices available to you might change. If that isnt the case than no one has free will, everything is by design and the only difference is that you know that. So you have the exect same levelof free will as anyone else

cdtm
The power of Captaiin Kirks ripped shirt.

Magnon
When you are omniscient you know everything. That means you know what would happen if you made alternate choices. If you don't, then your not omniscient because there are things you dont know (the effects of those alternate choices). Since your aware of them the choice exists, you simply have more information to make that choice.

Lets say for example you know how to make a vaccine for corvid 19 (all knowing). You know that it wont be available (as it would be released without you doing it earlier)until 2024 and in that time several million more die. You can choose to help it get produced earlier anf avoid those millions of deaths. Lets say you know releasing it before six months would mean in 3 generations we will have the next Hitler or Genghis Kahnnand their existance will cost the lives of nearly a billion. You can choose to make sure its released in 6 months and a day only losing a few hundred thousand more. Or tonwait until it was going to be released. Alternately you could choose to create it now and alter it sonit doesnt work on a certain family line.

The idea that your saying you would knownevery choice your going to make and therefore have no freedom would actually mean you are not ALL KNOWING, because you dont know thenalternatives, or about choice. The limitation your placing on omniscience makesnit not omniscience as it denies knowledge and therefore isnt all knowing
If you are omniscient you will know exactly everything you will ever do. You don't have any choice. In the words of Paul Muad'Dib:

To know the future is to be trapped by it.

If the counterfactual alternative histories have definiteness then as an omniscient being you'd know exactly what they would be like and what they would feel like, but you would still be unable to make any choices -- you would know the single factual course you will take in your life, exactly, and couldn't ever deviate from it. You'd be forced to follow this course like an automaton without free will.

Smurph

beatboks

If thatbwere the case than you couldnt choose to makenthe cure early, because you knew it was made by x at y time.

I'd also like to ask you how one would know what choice they would make if there wasn't an option? If you didnt have an option or choice than you cant know which one you would make. The nature of having no choice makes you no longer all knowing, it puts a limit on the level of knowledge you have.

Yes one knows what will happen, but if it cant change you cant use the knowledge. So I know the winning numbers of every lotto or gamenof chance that will ever be run but continue to live a poor life, never taking advantage of it? If knowing what will happen takes away my choice than I know who won that, that it wasnt me and I cant change it. I however know myself and know that I would take advantage of it. Also the instant you gain omniscience the choices you would make would change from those you would have made before having it, ergo there was a choice. Would the choice you would have made change? No not likely but that doesnt take away the fact that you had one, of you didnt you arent all knowing. The fact is the only way you could know the choices you will make is if you know the results of making the other choices.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.