Can Thor and Thanos break The chains in UP and The Sky

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AlbertoJohnAvil
https://i.postimg.cc/MXhJbxFJ/E76-FF66-F-14-DE-408-B-9-F36-4-AD6-D77-A1-F01.jpg No Mjolnir

abhilegend
No

carver9
Thor solos

BruceSkywalker
i don;t see why thor couldn't do it

Damborgson
Breaking chains is Thor's thing.

But to be sure, I'd need to see him snap adamantium first at least.

h1a8
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
i don;t see why thor couldn't do it Thor can't even lift a planet, let alone a star weight, let alone millions of star weights.
Neither can Thanos.

h1a8
Originally posted by AlbertoJohnAvil
https://i.postimg.cc/MXhJbxFJ/E76-FF66-F-14-DE-408-B-9-F36-4-AD6-D77-A1-F01.jpg No Mjolnir

That's a phucking awesome feat.

carver9
Originally posted by h1a8
That's a phucking awesome feat.

Why

cdtm
Originally posted by carver9
Why

Because of the fact these unbreakable chains are meant to stop Superman from saving a random little girl abducted by an alien *******.

The entire series is about the value of a single human life, and the lengths Superman will go to to save that one life.

It's a really good story, you should read it.

Damborgson
Why

erm

xJLxKing
No, he cannot

wxyz
Thor and Thanos can each do it on their own.

zopzop
Thanos breaks the chains and the backlash kills Thor.

Diesldude

Rage.Of.Olympus
Probably:
https://i.postimg.cc/gr8TkHS3/thor-strength-example-by-antcow-dbu4n7f-fullview.jpg

Originally posted by Damborgson

This is the closest I can find to Thor breaking Adamantium:
https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/original/5/52246/1406383-thor_144.jpg

Adamantium is historically very unbreakable in Marvel history, and has resisted Thor's strongest attacks. I 100% think Thor has a much better chance of breaking the chains in the OP scans than Adamantium. Adamantium has such significance in Marvel, even if he did break it, it would be retconned eventually.

Then again, I thought the same of Cap's shield, and now it's had to be reinforced by Asgardian Uru to have the same invulnerability it use to have story-wise.

abhilegend
Breaking gravity of a neutron star is not the same thing ragey boy.

Rage.Of.Olympus
I know....but I figure it's as impressive as breaking black hole forged chains.

abhilegend
No, it's not. And more impressive is that the chains hauled stars across the galaxy. Even adamantium isn't that tough.

spetznaz

AlbertoJohnAvil
Originally posted by abhilegend
No, it's not. And more impressive is that the chains hauled stars across the galaxy. Even adamantium isn't that tough. It was between, not across.

JBL
If Superman broke them, then the likes of CM, BA etc can do the same thing. Thor and Thanos will break those chains because we know that they are NOT unbreakable. It's getting pathetic that Everytime Superman does something he magically becomes the only one that can do it when Superman fans know for a fact ( but will never admit it ) that there are characters just as strong, to stronger to a lot stronger than Superman.

spetznaz

abhilegend
It was between, not across.
You know sometimes the distance between galaxies is more than galaxies are big, right?

abhilegend
Originally posted by JBL
If Superman broke them, then the likes of CM, BA etc can do the same thing. Thor and Thanos will break those chains because we know that they are NOT unbreakable. It's getting pathetic that Everytime Superman does something he magically becomes the only one that can do it when Superman fans know for a fact ( but will never admit it ) that there are characters just as strong, to stronger to a lot stronger than Superman.
Why would Captain Marvel or Black Adam break it?

Diesldude

TheHulkster
Of course they each can.

MrMind
no

abhilegend
Originally posted by TheHulkster
Of course they each can.
Why?

h1a8
Originally posted by JBL

We don't go by opinion but by feats. What feats do they have suggest that they can?

h1a8
Of course they each can.

Prove it with feats. What feats they have suggest that they can?

h1a8
It was between, not across.

Between is much further than across. This distance between galaxies is on average 9,900,000 light years. The distance across galaxies is around 100,000 light years.

Diesldude
Between is much further than across. This distance between galaxies is on average 9,900,000 light years. The distance across galaxies is around 100,000 light years.
Backfired on Alberto. Made the feat even more massive. He does more good for Superman’s rep than even some of Superman’s biggest fans.

TheHulkster
Why?

The chains are forgeable.

AlbertoJohnAvil

AlbertoJohnAvil

TheHulkster
No, it's not. And more impressive is that the chains hauled stars across the galaxy. Even adamantium isn't that tough.

Where is your proof that adamantium is not that tough? Have you seen adamantium reshaped by a black hole?

h1a8

TheHulkster
Hardened adamantium is not forgeable. Therefore it is tougher.

MrMind
i jerked off today

AlbertoJohnAvil

Newjak
Why would Captain Marvel or Black Adam break it? Probably because if a writer had Shazam in a similar situation they would write them breaking said chains and we really wouldn't be that surprised by it.

I mean if we saw a similar feat written for Thor would you really be that surprised by it?

Diesldude

abhilegend
The chains are forgeable.
And?

abhilegend
Originally posted by Newjak
Probably because if a writer had Shazam in a similar situation they would write them breaking said chains and we really wouldn't be that surprised by it.

I mean if we saw a similar feat written for Thor would you really be that surprised by it?
Shazam was already in the story and beaten up by robots which Superman destroyed en masse.

The days when Shazam was equal to Superman are long gone.

AlbertoJohnAvil

Diesldude

h1a8
Hardened adamantium is not forgeable. Therefore it is tougher.

Superman didn't forge the chains, he broke them.
Adamantium can be broken.

2nd. Why can't adamantium be forged from an inverted black hole or by any amount force? What feats does it have to support that?

abhilegend
Where is your proof that adamantium is not that tough? Have you seen adamantium reshaped by a black hole?
Adamantium has never encountered sun's mass or a black hole from my knowledge.

h1a8

AlbertoJohnAvil

abhilegend

AlbertoJohnAvil

abhilegend
Sure thing bro

Adam Grimes
Probably because if a writer had Shazam in a similar situation they would write them breaking said chains and we really wouldn't be that surprised by it.

I mean if we saw a similar feat written for Thor would you really be that surprised by it? This is kind of a weird argument to make tbh.

Yes, writers can have Shazam doing it... Or aunt May. That's the point of being a writer, you can do whatever you want with the story.

Newjak
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
This is kind of a weird argument to make tbh.

Yes, writers can have Shazam doing it... Or aunt May. That's the point of being a writer, you can do whatever you want with the story. I didn't just say any writer can make any character do anything. Of course that is true.

The key point was that would us as readers really be that surprised to read about Thor or Shazam or any number of really strong characters being written to do this? I would hope not.

AlbertoJohnAvil
Idk how many times I gotta explain it you dudes. NO matter how MASSIVE the object, it Does not REQUIRE unbreakable chains to haul anything through zero gravity. The chains have tensile strength, but so? Spider silk has more tensile strength than steel. Too many of you know too little about textiles, material and physics to be come up with definitive theorums regarding these feats. Hauling stars BETWEEN galaxies requires even less energy than moving a star WITHIN as a galaxy because of the relative lack of matter and therefore lack of gravitational or any forces at all that would impede movement.

carver9

He would ignore it.

AlbertoJohnAvil

Booya_69

That's a trillions of tons feat (great feat) but not a planetary weight feat, not a stellar weight feat, and not a millions of stellar weight feat. I calculated that feat a long time ago.

A cubic meter of a neutron star weighs as much as the Atlantic Ocean, which is trillions of tons. Thor broke out from pressure to a neutron star, which is planetary or beyond.
Standard Thor breaking those chains is debatable. If pressed enough he might enter warrior madness and turns those chains to dust.

TheHulkster
Superman didn't forge the chains, he broke them.
Adamantium can be broken.

2nd. Why can't adamantium be forged from an inverted black hole or by any amount force? What feats does it have to support that?

Something that can be forged is breakable. Primary adamantium has never been forged by an inverted black hole nor anything else if I recall correctly. The chains have.

h1a8
Originally posted by Booya_69
A cubic meter of a neutron star weighs as much as the Atlantic Ocean, which is trillions of tons. Thor broke out from pressure to a neutron star, which is planetary or beyond.
Standard Thor breaking those chains is debatable. If pressed enough he might enter warrior madness and turns those chains to dust. Wrong! It was the gravitational force of a neutron star. An object would weigh about 200 billion times more than they do on Earth. So the objects that landed on Thor is assumed to weigh 200 billion times more than normal (ignoring the fact that these objects were not even crushed by the gravitational force on Thor).
So we have trillions of tons in magnitude, which again isn't even planetary.

Lastly, your math is in error.
There is a huge vast difference between a planet and a star, a star and billions of stars. So if Thor could press a planet or a star then 10x would still be astronomically lower than billions of stars.

h1a8

Diesldude
Something that can be forged is breakable. Primary adamantium has never been forged by an inverted black hole nor anything else if I recall correctly. The chains have. by an inverted blackhole. laughing out loud do you even know what that means? Hint.. google singularity. laughing out loud Trillions upon trillions of stellar weight is nothing in comparison.

h1a8

h1a8
Originally posted by Diesldude
by an inverted blackhole. laughing out loud do you even know what that means? Hint.. google singularity. laughing out loud Trillions upon trillions of stellar weight is nothing in comparison.

thumb up
And singularities have asymptotic gravitational force the closer an object gets to it. There is infinite gravitational force at the singularity. So in theory, all things would be spaghettified (forged) if they get close enough.

AlbertoJohnAvil

One Big Mob

AlbertoJohnAvil

h1a8

carver9
@spetznaz..

Because the guy who talked about the chains isn't reliable. He lied throughout the book.

Booya_69
Wrong! It was the gravitational force of a neutron star. An object would weigh about 200 billion times more than they do on Earth. So the objects that landed on Thor is assumed to weigh 200 billion times more than normal (ignoring the fact that these objects were not even crushed by the gravitational force on Thor).
So we have trillions of tons in magnitude, which again isn't even planetary.

Ah! I was mistaken between gravity and mass. Impressive feat nonetheless.

Diesldude
@spetznaz..

Because the guy who talked about the chains isn't reliable. He lied throughout the book. how is he a liar if the chains were never broken before superman tried?

abhilegend

Diesldude

AlbertoJohnAvil

abhilegend

AlbertoJohnAvil

AlbertoJohnAvil

abhilegend

Diesldude

DarkSaint85
Here's a massive spoiler: none of the characters and objects actually exist.

So if the villain says it's being used to haul stars between galaxies,guess what, he doesn't actually say this. It's the writer.

So the writer's intention is to show Superman breaking chains that haul stars between galaxies. To show he's strong and can rise above when the situation dictates it.

Can Thor and Thanos break it based on their showings? Which ones?

JBL
Originally posted by DarkSaint85

So if the villain says it's being used to haul stars between galaxies,guess what, he doesn't actually say this. It's the writer.

So the writer's intention is to show Superman breaking chains that haul stars between galaxies. To show he's strong and can rise above when the situation dictates it.

Can Thor and Thanos break it based on their showings? Which ones? Not true. Writers intent is that the characters ARE real to spark the imagination of the readers. You have to be able to separate writers intent from the so-called storyline. Juggernaut is unstoppable, been stopped.. Adamantium is indestructable, been destroyed. Blob is unmovable, been moved. Etc.

Newjak

Can Thor and Thanos break it based on their showings? Which ones? I mean that's a fair statement if it is applied evenly to all characters involved.

I don't feel that happens.

I mean just Hercules and Thor arm wrestling was said to have almost sent the planet off access but I've also seen people here try to dismiss it as just Hercules weaving a tall tale.

After all that's one of the problems with comics in general and trying to compare feats. Different writers will have different intentions but no understanding of how the feats would work but people on different sides of the argument don't apply the suspension of disbelief to the same levels.

DarkSaint85
I mean that's a fair statement if it is applied evenly to all characters involved.

I don't feel that happens.

I mean just Hercules and Thor arm wrestling was said to have almost sent the planet off access but I've also seen people here try to dismiss it as just Hercules weaving a tall tale.

After all that's one of the problems with comics in general and trying to compare feats. Different writers will have different intentions but no understanding of how the feats would work but people on different sides of the argument don't apply the suspension of disbelief to the same levels.
Agreed -and that's where our knowledge of the characters comes into play.

So if Johnny Storm (as an example) claims something, then we have to take it with a pinch of salt. We assume the writer knows the character somewhat, which is that he's a known braggart.

Hercules is....kinda the same. He does like a tall tale ,and has even been called out on it in comics lol.

If Batman says that he has assessed someone, and thinks XYZ (or Reed, or Stark), and they've got their comic whizbangdoohickies backing them up - that's a gold standard. Maybe less so with Stark, because again, bragging. Maybe we should use TChalla, lol.

But agreed on the consistency of application.

Magnon
Yeah, Hercules and Thor are braggarts. That is part of their characters.

Superman, on the other hand, is humble and honest.

Newjak
Agreed -and that's where our knowledge of the characters comes into play.

So if Johnny Storm (as an example) claims something, then we have to take it with a pinch of salt. We assume the writer knows the character somewhat, which is that he's a known braggart.

Hercules is....kinda the same. He does like a tall tale ,and has even been called out on it in comics lol.

If Batman says that he has assessed someone, and thinks XYZ (or Reed, or Stark), and they've got their comic whizbangdoohickies backing them up - that's a gold standard. Maybe less so with Stark, because again, bragging. Maybe we should use TChalla, lol.

But agreed on the consistency of application. Yes but this creates dynamic where the less we know of a character the less scrutiny they would automatically receive.

I also think a breakdown of feats needs to be equalized. I also understand a lot this corresponds from us having favorites and wanting our favorites to win.

Newjak
Originally posted by Magnon
Yeah, Hercules and Thor are braggarts. That is part of their characters.

Superman, on the other hand, is humble and honest. I mean technically Superman deceives people every day by keeping the fact he is Superman a secret stick out tongue

TheHulkster
The chains can be broken because they were.
embarrasment

Your logic is faulty. You are trying to argue that adamantium can't be broken since it can't be forged.

Well here's a couple of things that throw a wrench in that logic :
Exhibit A
1. Diamonds can't be forged (once they are hardened) but they can be broken.

Exhibit B
2. Assume adamantium can't be forged and therefore it can't be broken. But wait, it has been broken.
embarrasment
So what does that tell you?

How does that negate the fact that mass was being pulled and the chains supplied the tension force.
I can put gas in a container and pull the container with a string. The string is still experiencing the tension force required to pull the gas forward.

Lastly, you are still trying to argue against writer's intent.

Where has primary adamantium been broken?

h1a8
Hulk has broken it and Thor slightly dented it and KT damaged it and Mags separated it.

If it hasn't then why bring up adamantium to support these characters? If no character has actually broken it then wouldn't talking about adamantium be irrelevant here?

With that said, we don't use no limit fallacies. Many things in comics are stated to be unbreakable (including Caps shield) and they were broken. How do you know that something is truly unbreakable or unforgable? Has anyone in marvel ever thought of using inverted black hole (which has limitless force) to forge adamantium? Or was the statement made from all known means?

TheHulkster
If it hasn't then why bring up adamantium to support these characters? If no character has actually broken it then wouldn't talking about adamantium be irrelevant here?

Maybe you should ask he who brought it up?

h1a8
Maybe you should ask he who brought it up? I edited my post. Please reread it and rebut. My mistake about the bringing up adamantium. The other points are more relevant anyway

DarkSaint85
Actually, it wasn't abhi who brought it up, but Dambo and Rage:

h1a8
Actually, it wasn't abhi who brought it up, but Dambo and Rage: I kinda figured that. Because I didn't see the logic of it being discussed unless someone was trying to support Thor.

Newjak

But to be sure, I'd need to see him snap adamantium first at least. I mean technically Dam was talking in the context of wanting to see Thor break adamantium and Rage was responding to it.

Abhi was the one trying to say that even adamatium couldn't perform what the chains superman broke would perform.

And it sounds like the Adamantium discussion kind of cascaded from there.

h1a8
I mean technically Dam was talking in the context of wanting to see Thor break adamantium and Rage was responding to it.

Abhi was the one trying to say that even adamatium couldn't perform what the chains superman broke would perform.

And it sounds like the Adamantium discussion kind of cascaded from there. There is a so called feat of Thor snapping adamantium coils or something. Dam was hinting to that feat in a slick way.

Newjak
There is a so called feat of Thor snapping adamantium coils or something. Dam was hinting to that feat in a slick way. I mean technically the panel does say adamantium so I'm not sure why the verbage of so called adamantium is needed?

DarkSaint85
So adamantium HAS been broken?

Newjak
So adamantium HAS been broken? Yeah but perhaps I'm not understanding the importance of this as it pertains to this discussion? Especially since I've just been kind of hopping in here.

h1a8
Hulk broke it in secret wars, Thor slightly dented it.
Other instances we can't be sure primary adamantium.
In comics it states that proto adamantium (Cap's shield) is stronger than true adamantium (primary). Caps shield has been broken numerous times.

carver9
Originally posted by JBL
Not true. Writers intent is that the characters ARE real to spark the imagination of the readers. You have to be able to separate writers intent from the so-called storyline. Juggernaut is unstoppable, been stopped.. Adamantium is indestructable, been destroyed. Blob is unmovable, been moved. Etc.

Dark have posted about inconsistencies in books before but fail to do so in this one (and we know why). Dark is inconsistent and tends to pick and choose on what to and what not to accept. Replace Superman with Hulk and he would've dissected the heck out of this showing.

h1a8
Yeah but perhaps I'm not understanding the importance of this as it pertains to this discussion? Especially since I've just been kind of hopping in here.

Thor (who can damage adamantium) > Adamantium > chains Superman broke.

Basically it was a subtle argument (very slick) and hard to catch.

Newjak
Thor (who can damage adamantium) > Adamantium > chains Superman broke.

Basically it was a subtle argument (very slick) and hard to catch. I mean other than you saying this. Is this what they said definitively? The great thing about discussion is you can you know ask them if that is what they meant.

TheHulkster
Is this what is referred to?

https://ibb.co/7JgqDpX

I guess this is strong evidence for Thor and Thanos has shown to be stronger than Thor

AlbertoJohnAvil

Newjak
Is this what is referred to?

https://ibb.co/7JgqDpX

I guess this is strong evidence for Thor and Thanos has shown to be stronger than Thor Yes I do believe that was the feat used.

DarkSaint85

This is why adamantium was brought up.

Dark have posted about inconsistencies in books before but fail to do so in this one (and we know why). Dark is inconsistent and tends to pick and choose on what to and what not to accept. Replace Superman with Hulk and he would've dissected the heck out of this showing.

Troll.

AlbertoJohnAvil
@diesl

won't let me reply to you... BUT So we are going to sit here and act like dude wasn't boasting the whole storyline? The robots were supposed to be unbeatable, they weren't. The writer was writing the character to boast like he was the shit. EVERY comic writer has written a boasting character, let's not act like it isn't a thing. laughing out loud

BrolyBlack
@diesl

won't let me reply to you... BUT So we are going to sit here and act like dude wasn't boasting the whole storyline? The robots were supposed to be unbeatable, they weren't. The writer was writing the character to boast like he was the shit. EVERY comic writer has written a boasting character, let's not act like it isn't a thing. laughing out loud

dur

Newjak
https://i.postimg.cc/MXhJbxFJ/E76-FF66-F-14-DE-408-B-9-F36-4-AD6-D77-A1-F01.jpg No Mjolnir I mean clearly the feat is intended to be word candy to show off Superman. These types of things get thrown out so much at this level though that it almost has lost it's impact for me at this point.

This just kind of reminds me of the wankfest wordsoup that was Pak's run with Hulk.

abhilegend
Except for the fact that the robots created by the same character beat pretty much every hero on Earth.

Even in WWH not every hero on Earth was beaten.

TheHulkster
I mean technically Dam was talking in the context of wanting to see Thor break adamantium and Rage was responding to it.

And it sounds like the Adamantium discussion kind of cascaded from there.

Pretty much

AlbertoJohnAvil
@Newjak exactly

The Thor feat happened because they tell you exactly what happened, it's unarguable, goofy writing and unrelatable to real world physics nonetheless. The Superman feat tell you something grand but doesn't expand on why it matters when the character making the claim consistently overshot his assessments of the chains and their forces in the storyline.

DarkSaint85
The robots WERE unbeatable by everyone....EXCEPT Superman (who didn't just defeat one, but ~30).

The chains WERE unbreakable by everyone....EXCEPT Superman. He just happened to be better than the guy's calculations.

Like Stark and his 'buster' suits. They are DESIGNED to fight and defeat threats - but Stark's opponents still prove him wrong.

DarkSaint85
Pretty much

Perfect.

So abhi didn't mention adamantium first, good to know.

AlbertoJohnAvil
The robots WERE unbeatable by everyone....EXCEPT Superman (who didn't just defeat one, but ~30).

The chains WERE unbreakable by everyone....EXCEPT Superman. He just happened to be better than the guy's calculations.

Like Stark and his 'buster' suits. They are DESIGNED to fight and defeat threats - but Stark's opponents still prove him wrong.

um It's the writers intention to write an exciting story. That might include a villain boasting like he's hard before he learns he's not as hard as he thinks.

BrolyBlack
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Probably:
https://i.postimg.cc/gr8TkHS3/thor-strength-example-by-antcow-dbu4n7f-fullview.jpg

This is the closest I can find to Thor breaking Adamantium:
https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/original/5/52246/1406383-thor_144.jpg

Adamantium is historically very unbreakable in Marvel history, and has resisted Thor's strongest attacks. I 100% think Thor has a much better chance of breaking the chains in the OP scans than Adamantium. Adamantium has such significance in Marvel, even if he did break it, it would be retconned eventually.

Then again, I thought the same of Cap's shield, and now it's had to be reinforced by Asgardian Uru to have the same invulnerability it use to have story-wise.

Nope

DarkSaint85
um It's the writers intention to write an exciting story. That might include a villain boasting like he's hard before he learns he's not as hard as he thinks.

Indeed, and also the writer's intention to show that Superman is above others.

Look, no one is disputing the unbreakable part - because...well, Superman broke it. It's not unbreakable.

The cool part is that they were chains designed to haul stars between galaxies.

Like a villain boasting his gun is so powerful the bullets it fires would kill anything.

Would it kill anything? Well, that's debatable.

Does the gun fire bullets? Not the point of debate.

Newjak

Look, no one is disputing the unbreakable part - because...well, Superman broke it. It's not unbreakable.

Like a villain boasting his gun is so powerful the bullets it fires would kill anything.

Does the gun fire bullets? Not the point of debate. Like I said very reminiscent of Pak's Hulk run.

This is part of the reason I don't find Superman as interesting anymore. He's still one of my favorites but it gets boring hearing about the same types of feats from him all the time. Also it's pretty common to have these one character is going to be the spotlight periods and therefore all other characters must suck during this time.

Captain Marvel in the MCU is another good example to me.

AlbertoJohnAvil

Does the gun fire bullets? Not the point of debate.

It's largely unquantifable, regardless. for a calc, you would have to know the time it would take to from A to B. You can't know what that speed is. You can only infer. I can ship a package across the world by boat or plane; urgently, leisurely, by it's natural course. It's the same great distance but nowhere is it stated the necessary speeds to make the calculations valid.

This feat would be better used in a say GL vs Supes where GL's constructs have power to haul stars and this is proof that Supes can break them despite that.

AlbertoJohnAvil
Common sense dictates one probably wouldn't be moving what is the most or near to the most massive physical objects in the universe, complete with gravitational fields to match, at light speed. The more I think on it, the less sense that makes. Even within the realm of suspended disbelief in fiction, moving stars at glacial speed, i.e. like a terraforming project, makes infinitely more sense than say light speed Transport

Newjak
Common sense dictates one probably wouldn't be moving what is the most or near to the most massive physical objects in the universe, complete with gravitational fields to match, at light speed. The more I think on it, the less sense that makes. Even within the realm of suspended disbelief in fiction, moving stars at glacial speed, i.e. like a terraforming project, makes infinitely more sense than say light speed Transport I mean if you really break it down how are you going to tie chains around a star? How does that make sense as the mechanism for moving them?

The truth is that that part will always be unknown. Even the process is a little vague. We know the chains are made in that inverse black hole but at the time we don't know how long it takes. If there is other elements being left out.

We do know the intention is to show these chains are incredibly strong and hard to break and therefore it's impressive that Superman can break them.

h1a8
It's largely unquantifable, regardless. for a calc, you would have to know the time it would take to from A to B. You can't know what that speed is. You can only infer. I can ship a package across the world by boat or plane; urgently, leisurely, by it's natural course. It's the same great distance but nowhere is it stated the necessary speeds to make the calculations valid.

This feat would be better used in a say GL vs Supes where GL's constructs have power to haul stars and this is proof that Supes can break them despite that.

Starships in fiction move FTL in order to get places in a reasonable time. We lowballed the feat and calculated the force for a long UNREASONABLE amount of time and still got more than millions of stellar weights.

We don't need to know the exact speed. We need to know a speed THAT'S UNDER the real speed.

For example, if Superman lifts a truck then we know he's lifting more than 1ton even though we might not know the exact weight of the truck.

h1a8
I mean if you really break it down how are you going to tie chains around a star? How does that make sense as the mechanism for moving them?

The truth is that that part will always be unknown. Even the process is a little vague. We know the chains are made in that inverse black hole but at the time we don't know how long it takes. If there is other elements being left out.

We do know the intention is to show these chains are incredibly strong and hard to break and therefore it's impressive that Superman can break them.

There are at least several ways you can theoretically haul a star with chains (although this is comics and no explanation is needed, such as when characters lift buildings and pyramids without them crumbling, when characters are able to hit or throw objects in space without any damage to the ground, etc)

For example, You can wrap the star completely in a star sized metal container of the same material and attach that container to the chains and then haul it .

AlbertoJohnAvil
Starships in fiction move FTL in order to get places in a reasonable time. We lowballed the feat and calculated the force for a long an UNREASONABLE amount of time and still got more than millions of stellar weights.

We don't need to know the exact speed. We need to know a speed THAT'S UNDER the real speed.

For example, if Superman lifts a truck then we know he's lifting more than 1ton even though we might not know the exact weight of the truck.

nothing about your assumptions are safe. 1. Hauling something the size of a star through a galaxy at anywhere light speed is absolutely ludicrous to contemplate. Our sun is a small star. So, yes, let's haul billions to the hundredth power tons of nuclear gas past oort clouds, nutbula, other stars, planets, etc, all at near light speed

we can teleport and move stars, but we do it as archaically as using chain links. Instead of say, IDK... Building a gate to move it, or whatever. Nothing about this is logical or makes sense. It was a dumb ass page/panel, not at all thought out.

unless constellations in DC multiverse arent static at all, they can't be moving many stars or moving them quickly. Cuz someone would notice

DarkSaint85
I mean if you really break it down how are you going to tie chains around a star? How does that make sense as the mechanism for moving them?

https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/original/11111/111115653/3501064-7177738075-34190.jpg

Like this.

TheHulkster
Perfect.

So abhi didn't mention adamantium first, good to know.

In that line of discussion he did, which is what Newjak was trying to explain and you hopefully are pretending to miss.

Newjak
https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/original/11111/111115653/3501064-7177738075-34190.jpg

Like this. I was talking from a more real world scenario lol.

h1a8
nothing about your assumptions are safe. 1. Hauling something the size of a star through a galaxy at anywhere light speed is absolutely ludicrous to contemplate. Our sun is a small star. So, yes, let's haul billions to the hundredth power tons of nuclear gas past oort clouds, nutbula, other stars, planets, etc, all at near light speed

we can teleport and move stars, but we do it as archaically as using chain links. Instead of say, IDK... Building a gate to move it, or whatever. Nothing about this is logical or makes sense. It was a dumb ass page/panel, not at all thought out.

unless constellations in DC multiverse arent static at all, they can't be moving many stars or moving them quickly. Cuz someone would notice

Almost all feats in comics make no sense.
Hitting someone with 100+ ton strength but only sending then several feet away
Lifting huge structures like buildings without the building crumbling or the character sinking in the ground.
Throwing or hitting objects that are more massive than the character far away without that character moving backwards any amount.

I can go on forever.

I gave a reasonable way for the stars to be hauled (although no possible explanation is needed).

I was talking from a more real world scenario lol.

I gave a real world possible explanation in the post above.

Newjak
There are at least several ways you can theoretically haul a star with chains (although this is comics and no explanation is needed, such as when characters lift buildings and pyramids without them crumbling, when characters are able to hit or throw objects in space without any damage to the ground, etc)

For example, You can wrap the star completely in a star sized metal container of the same material and attach that container to the chains and then haul it . Yeah which why I mentioned what the intention was because you can get bogged down in details in comics all the time.

AlbertoJohnAvil
Starships in fiction move FTL in order to get places in a reasonable time. We lowballed the feat and calculated the force for a long UNREASONABLE amount of time and still got more than millions of stellar weights.

Also, If the device negates the iberia/gravity of the planet you are no longer lugging the star's weight. You would be lugging the device. It's comics, it's more than like could happen like that. So Superman's feat is more open ended and not as impressive as Thor straight up breaking through the "weight" of a neutron star which we can get a rough solid estimate of at least.

AlbertoJohnAvil
@h1 laughing out loud you put up these calcs as though you were given even a single number in the story. But you weren't. Nor were you given a means for moving said star. You weren't given a timeline or purpose of movement. NOTHING! Just, "these chains pull stars". Dassit. And you're asspulling numbers as though they have any real relevance here. They don't.

h1a8
Also, If the device negates the iberia/gravity of the planet you are no longer lugging the star's weight. You would be lugging the device. It's comics, it's more than like could happen like that. So Superman's feat is more open ended and not as impressive as Thor straight up breaking through the "weight" of a neutron star which we can get a rough solid estimate of at least.

Although you can theoretically negate weight (gravity) force, weight force (gravity pull) is irrelevant here. It takes force to accelerate mass (even in the absence of gravity). Think of a bowling ball vs a ping pong ball floating in space. The bowling ball would be harder to throw than the ping pong ball. Gravity of each has nothing to do with it.

The mass of the star was unchanged due to writers intent.

h1a8
@h1 laughing out loud you put up these calcs as though you were given even a single number in the story. But you weren't. Nor were you given a means for moving said star. You weren't given a timeline or purpose of movement. NOTHING! Just, "these chains pull stars". Dassit. And you're asspulling numbers as though they have any real relevance here. They don't.

We can't calculate the exact numbers for the feat but we can calculate numbers that are guaranteed BELOW the real numbers.

Remember the truck example I gave?

DarkSaint85
I was talking from a more real world scenario lol.

That IS A RL scenario mad

In that line of discussion he did, which is what Newjak was trying to explain and you hopefully are pretending to miss.

h1 asked why bring up adamantium to SUPPORT these characters (i.e. Thor and Thanos).

You said, why not ask the one who brought it up, and quoted abhi.

Rage and Damborg did, to SUPPORT Thor. Not abhi. Thanks. Abhi was even replying to Rage.

DarkSaint85
We can't calculate the exact numbers for the feat but we can calculate numbers that are guaranteed BELOW the real numbers.

I mean, we NEVER get told how heavy the cars are that Hawkeye lifts, or the mass of any RL objects (submarines, trucks, cars etc) that comic characters lift.

But if Aunt May lifts a car, that's an impressive feat - we don't need to know what model of car, or its exact composition, or whatever.

Newjak
Although you can theoretically negate weight (gravity) force, weight force (gravity pull) is irrelevant here. It takes force to accelerate mass (even in the absence of gravity). Think of a bowling ball vs a ping pong ball floating in space. The bowling ball would be harder to throw than the ping pong ball. Gravity of each has nothing to do with it.

The mass of the star was unchanged due to writers intent. Doesn't that also rely on the environment.

In space wouldn't the force required to move the bowling ball be much much less and very similar to the ping pong ball? If I was let's say on an unmovable platform for leverage and gravity doesn't exist if I shoved a building it would in fact start to move in the direction I shoved it correct? Something I couldn't accomplish on earth.

Newjak
I mean, we NEVER get told how heavy the cars are that Hawkeye lifts, or the mass of any RL objects (submarines, trucks, cars etc) that comic characters lift.

But if Aunt May lifts a car, that's an impressive feat - we don't need to know what model of car, or its exact composition, or whatever. Correct which is why writer's intention is important.

This standard should be applied for every character though. I definitely don't feel like it does on these forums.

AlbertoJohnAvil

What's wrong is assuming a rate of acceleration. Because your calcs are hinged on a non essential and unknown rate of acceleration (for instance, how do you know they're even moving 99% of light speed the whole trip, or at all, or how long it took to reach said speed). Your calc starts with an assumption, no a blatant guess, so your entire calc is meaningless.

It's like me speculating on Gamoras digestive process. I have like no info on that. So I could make some shit up, but I'm not gonna try to science it and scale it to a discussion about her. That's what you're doing right now. Speculating on the length of Gamoras species intestines and digestive power

You could calculate the velocity of a frog fart in the Jupiter hurricane if you'd like, just don't post it here as though it has even a whiff of relevance to this discussion

Diesldude

AlbertoJohnAvil
Uhhh yeah. He mentioned that the chains were used to haul stars between galaxies, and that it was unbreakable. It was obviously boasting

https://i.postimg.cc/8FBWTH1d/image.jpg

h1a8
Doesn't that also rely on the environment.

In space wouldn't the force required to move the bowling ball be much much less and very similar to the ping pong ball? If I was let's say on an unmovable platform for leverage and gravity doesn't exist if I shoved a building it would in fact start to move in the direction I shoved it correct? Something I couldn't accomplish on earth.

The force required to accelerate (not move) the bowling ball is magnitudes greater. For example, if you were to pluck each then the bowling ball would move very little and the ping pong ball would fly away at a good speed.

Acceleration is the rate in which speed and direction changes.
Think of speeding something up or slowing it down.

AlbertoJohnAvil

Diesldude

BrolyBlack
Thor gets owned

Diesldude

Newjak
I mean I've already said this feat was meant to be a great feat by writer's intention.

I'm just following up on this discussion as an after the fact. I believe the outcome of this has overall bearing how to take the feat. Regardless of who believe.

Newjak
The force required to accelerate (not move) the bowling ball is magnitudes greater. For example, if you were to pluck each then the bowling ball would move very little and the ping pong ball would fly away at a good speed.

Acceleration is the rate in which speed and direction changes.
Think of speeding something up or slowing it down. Yes but the amount of force required to cause acceleration is dependent on the environment said object exists in correct?

For instance the amount of force required to accelerate a bowling ball on Earth vs in a vacuum would different or is my understanding of this incorrect?

In theory if I exist in a vacuum and have some form of leverage to apply force and gravity doesn't exist. I thought there is no limit to the amount of mass I could cause to accelerate under such conditions?

AlbertoJohnAvil
laughing out loud laughing out loud You said it "tickled" Superman, and the attack killed BW. You were lowballing and it backfired LMAO. Not even Hulkster thought you were ExAggErAtInG

Along with "the full might of the IMMEASURABLE Power Cosmic" and "the bleeding life force of a universal constant". You left those out.

Next you're gonna tell us how Superman stood unphased from that punch by Konvikt 🤦‍♂️

Newjak
Also this site has gotten even buggier. It's much harder to quote and edit then I remember.

I meant to say I don't believe this discussion really matter to the overall outcome.

DarkSaint85
I mean....Lobo has broken unbreakable metal before as well...

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jdKXS3P9Hyg/WO3mtfM3w7I/AAAAAAADLhY/IOasDRR2rdYmSupe5cZ-emY-uAlX5vXSQCLcB/s1600/018_004.jpg

Doesn't mean when it crosses realities/universes whatever, that it would stlll retain its 'unbreakable' tag. It just means that up until then, it hasn't been broken. The one who made the claim could/would be wrong, but that could be an error made in good faith.

Anyway, I want to see Thor/Thanos strength feats. Rather than lowball one side (the chains weren't all that!!) why don't people highball the other side (Thor and Thanos are the bestest!!!!)?

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>