Aragorn vs. Geralt of Rivia

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

xPRIMEx
Standard gear.

Round 1: Movie version of Aragorn, tv show version of Geralt
Round 2: Book versions

jaden_2.0
Geralt would utterly wreck Aragorn.

Surtur
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Geralt would utterly wreck Aragorn.

Old Man Whirly!
Gerald kicks his teeth down his throat.

xPRIMEx
Even tv version?

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by xPRIMEx
Even tv version? Yeah.

Jmanghan
Aragorn is stronger then him, Geralt is most likely faster and FAR more skilled.

Geralt wins.

riv6672
Geralt FTW.

I gotta go w. the guy from my hometown. stick out tongue

xPRIMEx

KingD19
Netflix Geralt is a lot faster, as he blocked 2 crossbow bolts from close range, and wasn't even looking at one of them.

And his Aard actually can blast a Kikimora 30 feet down a hallway so hard it crushes stone. He just didn't use it full force on humans. And while he doesn't have many lifting feats, his striking feats especially against monsters make it competitive.

Game version of Geralt is too powerful to use.

xPRIMEx

xPRIMEx

KingD19
Yeah the Striga is what I meant, and he doesn't need to spam it. One good blast will do a whole lotta damage.

As for Renfri, in both the books and the show, she is stated to be a mutant and more than human. They don't go into full detail but it's Stregebor in both mediums and Renfri herself in Netflix who point out she's not normal.

xPRIMEx

xPRIMEx
Actually you're right, I just remembered that Renfri was able to control the minds of those men in Blaviken, and Geralt's magic didn't work on her.

xPRIMEx
I don't think she had enhanced combat abilities though.

If Geralt lands a solid hit with his Aard ability, Aragorn is probably screwed. If not, and it comes down to a swordfight, I think it could go either way.

BruceSkywalker
Geralt stomps

xPRIMEx
Why?

Aragorn isn't just human. He is Dunedain--a descendant of Numenoreans. Therefore he has enhanced strength and stamina. He even has some elven and Maia blood too. He's almost 90 years old so he has plenty of experience. He should be able to at least compete with Geralt.

Rebel95
I'm gonna have to agree with Prime on this one.

It seems like a lot of you are either underrating Aragorn or overrating Geralt here. Netflix Geralt isn't as OP as he is in the video games. Don't get me wrong he's still a beast, but so is Aragorn. This would be a good fight.

Surtur
Geralt really didn't wanna be fighting Renfri. His heart wasn't in it.

Surtur
Originally posted by Rebel95
I'm gonna have to agree with Prime on this one.

It seems like a lot of you are either underrating Aragorn or overrating Geralt here. Netflix Geralt isn't as OP as he is in the video games. Don't get me wrong he's still a beast, but so is Aragorn. This would be a good fight.

I'm confused as to how it is a good fight. His aard alone means Aragorn gets close only if geralt wants him to. If he gets hit with a blast that can cause monsters to impact walls with stone shattering force the dude isn't gonna just pop back up.

And in the books witchers can sling fire too.

Surtur
I forget which signs Geralt showed in the show besides the TK blast. I don't think he showed fire yet or shields or that magical trap thing. He might have tried mind control.

KingD19
I'm sure S2 of Netflix will have Geralt use the rest of his signs.

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by Surtur
I forget which signs Geralt showed in the show besides the TK blast. I don't think he showed fire yet or shields or that magical trap thing. He might have tried mind control.

He used quen to seal the coffin when he climbed in to stop the striga.

He tried to use axii on Renfri but she was immune to magic.

xPRIMEx
I'm confused as to how it is a good fight. His aard alone means Aragorn gets close only if geralt wants him to. If he gets hit with a blast that can cause monsters to impact walls with stone shattering force the dude isn't gonna just pop back up.

And in the books witchers can sling fire too.
When Geralt used Aard against the humans in Blaviken they just stumbled back a bit. When he used it against the men in the dragon cave they flew back quite a bit but they got up right after and continued to fight. And I'm pretty sure Geralt was amped by a potion when he fought the Striga, that's probably why it was so much more powerful then. So I don't think it would do much to Aragorn, and Geralt doesn't use it very often.

jaden_2.0
When Geralt used Aard against the humans in Blaviken they just stumbled back a bit. When he used it against the men in the dragon cave they flew back quite a bit but they got up right after and continued to fight. Wasn't Geralt amped by a potion when he fought the Striga? That's probably why it was so much more powerful then.

He also punched the striga about 6ft in the air and 8ft across the room without the aard. He was probably slightly less strong than it though.

He also threw Torque the Sylvan with good force after getting rammed about 15ft by it.

KingD19
Canonically his potions don't affect his Signs. Only physical attributes like making him more resistant to poison or able to see in the dark.

Surtur
When Geralt used Aard against the humans in Blaviken they just stumbled back a bit. When he used it against the men in the dragon cave they flew back quite a bit but they got up right after and continued to fight. And I'm pretty sure Geralt was amped by a potion when he fought the Striga, that's probably why it was so much more powerful then. So I don't think it would do much to Aragorn, and Geralt doesn't use it very often.

Even if you wanna believe he was amped for the other stuff, if Aragorn is within striking distance do you think him ending up on his back, even for a few seconds, ends well for him?

xPRIMEx

Jmanghan
His sword-fighting IS better then Aragorn's.

Aragorn is a great swordsman, one of the most skilled in his verse (at that point), but he doesn't really have that visual skill that you can see with Geralt's style.

Both are one-man armies, taking down scores of men single-handedly. That said, looking at both, you can clearly see that Geralt is more skilled.

Take away his magic and I'd still give it to him. He's faster and more skilled, Aragorn has strength but that's not enough to give him the win.

xPRIMEx

xPRIMEx
Maybe if this was composite Aragorn it would be a better fight.

KingD19
If we make it composite Aragorn, we'd have to make it composite Geralt and Geralt with tv/books/game is too much.

xPRIMEx

KingD19

TheVaultDweller
I'd back Geralt, but mostly due to having a speed advantage, as I don't recall Aragorn being fast enough to casually deflect crossbow bolts out of the air. I don't think it's as much of a stomp as some others do, because their other stats should be quite close IMO. And it's not really in character for Geralt to use a lot of signs in a fight. I mean he used Aard like, what, 4 or 5 times throughout the entire first season? And that's the Sign he used the most by far. He doesn't use Signs that much in the books either. It's only in the games where he's spamming magic, which is down to game mechanics. Not saying he won't use it, but it's not like he's going to be blasting Aragorn left and right. Anyway, as I said, his speed should net him the win when everything else is pretty balanced.

I will say that we arguably have yet to see Netflix Geralt really pushed though. He clearly didn't want to kill Renfri and was trying to cure the Striga, which are the two opponents who have given him the hardest time so far.

KingD19
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
I'd back Geralt, but mostly due to having a speed advantage, as I don't recall Aragorn being fast enough to casually deflect crossbow bolts out of the air. I don't think it's as much of a stomp as some others do, because their other stats should be quite close IMO. And it's not really in character for Geralt to use a lot of signs in a fight. I mean he used Aard like, what, 4 or 5 times throughout the entire first season? And that's the Sign he used the most by far. He doesn't use Signs that much in the books either. It's only in the games where he's spamming magic, which is down to game mechanics. Not saying he won't use it, but it's not like he's going to be blasting Aragorn left and right.

That's basically my stance. Geralt is insanely fast, and similar in all other categories. PLUS he has magic, while Aaragorn has none. Even though he doesn't spam his Signs, he makes strategic use of them enough that they are a viable battle strategy.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by KingD19
That's basically my stance. Geralt is insanely fast, and similar in all other categories. PLUS he has magic, while Aaragorn has none. Even though he doesn't spam his Signs, he makes strategic use of them enough that they are a viable battle strategy.

Yeah, and as I threw in as an afterthought, we have arguably yet to see Netflix Geralt going at his hardest, considering the context of his fights with the Striga and Renfri.

It's actually kind of funny though. Netflix Geralt is arguably faster than book Geralt in terms of reflexes lol. Because book Geralt can also arrow time, but I can't recall him doing it as casually as the Netflix version has. In the books, he tends to have to concentrate on the person firing and be facing them head on. In the show, in the Blaviken scene, he casually swats a bolt out of the air while moving between opponents.

KingD19
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Yeah, and as I threw in as an afterthought, we have arguably yet to see Netflix Geralt going at his hardest, considering the context of his fights with the Striga and Renfri.

It's actually kind of funny though. Netflix Geralt is arguably faster than book Geralt in terms of reflexes lol. Because book Geralt can also arrow time, but I can't recall him doing it as casually as the Netflix version has. In the books, he tends to have to concentrate on the person firing and be facing them head on. In the show, in the Blaviken scene, he casually swats a bolt out of the air while moving between opponents.

I'd say that because we see Netflix Geralt visually, he appears much faster, but the books have Geralt doing some crazy stuff so they're in the same realm.

https://i.imgur.com/gQsbJH3.png - Moves so fast he makes twins who are in sync in a fight crash into each other. He's described as a blur and slashes both of them at the same time in different spots.

https://i.imgur.com/IugM6Qx.png - Kills 3 guys so fast no one notices him killing them, only their bodies on the floor.

https://i.imgur.com/9eHz3AG.png - Parries 2 simultaneous attacks aimed at his head and his legs so fast that it only sounds like one impact.

https://i.imgur.com/C404bFh.png - Actually deflecting a crossbow.

https://i.imgur.com/2An8cwX.png - Moved so fast he took his hands from under the table, pulled a dagger and stabbed a guys hand before he could move it.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by KingD19
I'd say that because we see Netflix Geralt visually, he appears much faster, but the books have Geralt doing some crazy stuff so they're in the same realm.

https://i.imgur.com/gQsbJH3.png - Moves so fast he makes twins who are in sync in a fight crash into each other. He's described as a blur and slashes both of them at the same time in different spots.

https://i.imgur.com/IugM6Qx.png - Kills 3 guys so fast no one notices him killing them, only their bodies on the floor.

https://i.imgur.com/9eHz3AG.png - Parries 2 simultaneous attacks aimed at his head and his legs so fast that it only sounds like one impact.

https://i.imgur.com/C404bFh.png - Actually deflecting a crossbow.

https://i.imgur.com/2An8cwX.png - Moved so fast he took his hands from under the table, pulled a dagger and stabbed a guys hand before he could move it.

I don't think there's a big gap in reflex speed between the two, or that there even is one, really. Just that if you compare them performing the same type of feat, you could argue that one version appears to have an easier time of it, suggesting some edge in that regard. Both versions are much, much faster than the average person though.

Plus, I tend to use implied speed first and visual speed second, unless there aren't really any quantifiable speed feats to go on, in which case you really only have visual speed. After all, going by visual speed, some of the fodder Clippers in ItB are faster, better fighters than some of the Jedi Masters in RotS.

xPRIMEx

jaden_2.0
Still like to know how Aragorn has a strength advantage.

xPRIMEx

Surtur

jaden_2.0
You need to watch the fight with the striga again. Particularly just before the end when the striga runs at him and he 1 punches it clean back across the room.

9EDF6MHKyJY at 3:40.

Also put it in context of just prior when the striga is ragdolling geralt into walls and pillars.

He's less strong than the striga but not by much and it's strength is pretty beast mode itself.

Surtur
I mean yeah, I feel if they both just tossed their swords down and went h2h geralt would wreck.

Either way he wins. Unless he drinks a potion to weaken himself before the fight

TheVaultDweller

TheVaultDweller
And I don't recall Lurtz throwing knives at 300-400 feet per second, which is the speed at which crossbow bolts tend to travel.

KingD19
One of the bolts was blocked with him barely paying attention and if I recall he blocked one with a reverse grip which made it 10 times more difficult and complicated since he'd have to move his arm in a completely different motion, from a different position, etc...

xPRIMEx

TheVaultDweller

xPRIMEx
thumb up

Surtur
I feel like part of it is PIS. Plenty of situations where slinging a little fire would have helped.

KingD19
He had plenty of situations throughout the first season where several of his Signs would have been useful. Not sure if they just couldn't figure out the effects on the first season or they were trying to make us wait but Geralt made multiple situations harder for himself because he conveniently forgot he could shoot fire or control minds or create an impenetrable forcefield.

xPRIMEx

TheVaultDweller
I feel like part of it is PIS. Plenty of situations where slinging a little fire would have helped.

Maybe. But all we have to go on for this version of Geralt is what we have in S1. Because while the Netflix series does draw strongly from the books, there are also a number of deviations (ranging from how certain events unfolds, when they happen, as well as certain character depictions, notable examples being Eyck and Vilgefortz) that make it clear that this is its own standalone continuity.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.