Kengan Ashura

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Damborgson
who's been keeping up with this ? Easily one of the most badass series ever.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DefiniteBlaringAngelwingmussel-max-1mb.gif

cdtm
Not as yet.

Read the manga though.

vansonbee
I read the manga before watching the anime. Tried getting into the new sequel, but without proper translators, its pointless to continue reading. I'm probably going to wait for the another season of the anime, but the anime seem to divert from the manga...

krisblaze
Anybody keeping up with the manga?
Sequel started off strong, starting to peter out now...

cdtm
I'll repost this here:

Originally posted by cdtm
At the second episode of season 2.

I am also reading the manga side by side. Some of the differences are striking.

In visual design, of course, but I'm used to that. But also in narrative choices. The 5 year old Shogun, for example, the manga makes one mention of his suggestion of merchants holding fist fights to settle disputes to be a child like suggestion, and then goes on to suggest how abandoning all out war in favor of a contained tournament is a better alternative, and something adults set in their ways could never think of.

Meanwhile, the anime calls his suggestion childISH, and stresses several times that it's a ridiculous idea, but that the Shogun has absolute authority.

Maybe they figured a westernized audience wouldn't be able to identify with the reverence Japan has for its history. Or maybe the translators themselves inserted their own biases.

Personally, I prefer the non westernized version.

cdtm
So do you think the lesson of Ohma using technique over borrowed power was somewhat undermined by the fact if he didn't borrow power, he never would have worn down his opponent enough to drop his amp?

krisblaze
Agree.

The lesson is repeated later in the manga to greater effect though thumb up

cdtm
The Medicine Man was interesting, wonder why they cut him from the anime?

cdtm
Originally posted by krisblaze
Anybody keeping up with the manga?
Sequel started off strong, starting to peter out now...

https://mangadex.org/title/33538/kengan-omega

Hokuto No Gun is doing the sequel, so it should be good.

They're the ones who did Fist of the Blue Sky, and are in the process of retranslating the Otokojuko's.

cdtm
Lot of characters and details the anime cut out. The beach fan services were actually really good for fleshing out the characters.

Ohma's time in the Tokita zone should at least become an special, it's simply too important to cut completely.

cdtm
It's hard to see Agito Kanoh having beaten the Kure Clan, what with their super human "removal" abilities. Yeah, Agito tiers up every match, but going by his fight with the "King of Combat" and the fact he said he reached a new level from the fight, that bar was pretty low, compared to how overwhelming Raian seemed.

cdtm
Man, the Gaolong fight really made Fang look like a monster. All those punches and not even a little fracture. Feeling like he could take Raian now, if they fought.

cdtm
http://zjcdn.mangahere.org/store/manga/17435/09-195.0/compressed/c20181129_105834_269.jpg

You've gotta be kidding me. Agito took everything Gaolang threw at him, and finished him off decisively. He in no way looked "frail".

cdtm
Finished up the series, moving on the Omega. I like the ending, shades of Joe Yubikii. He burned out, pure white.

I see 90 chapters are available from Hokuto No Gun, the same group who did Ashura's scans. I assume Omega is still ongoing?

cdtm
Up to the part before Ryuki faces justice.

Was thinking, Ashura ended up swerving expectations by having the bearded god win it all. So wouldn't it he appropriate, not to mention awesome, if last series clown became this series savior? Rhito's learning from the best, he just may become the shadow Shirahama Kenichi.

cdtm
Annnd, completely caught up with the Hokuto No Gun scans.

I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I marked out for Ohma's return..

On the other, I have to wonder if Yabako Sandrovich is making it up as he goes. Did he always plan this, or is it a result of fan pressures, or work pressures?

He clearly had an overall conspiracy set in place, but I have the feeling he was forced to drop it, and never believed there would be a sequel series. Kengan Ashura seemee like a definitive ending.

And the Omega plot reveal is incredibly convoluted.

Damborgson
Have you been keeping up with the recent omega chapters?

Fang's fight was really impressive.

cdtm
Originally posted by Damborgson
Have you been keeping up with the recent omega chapters?

Fang's fight was really impressive.

One inch punch did not misfire. smile thumb up

Damborgson
Beast one hit kill move !

I'm glad he took home the victory

Bentley
I'm up to date with Omega and the plot is lol

Gaolang best boy though

cdtm
Originally posted by Bentley

Gaolang best boy though

Well, the main characters are essentially nobodies. Not the movers and shakers.

I think the main story will end with Koga and Ryuki, but they sure won't win the tournament.

Which is in keeping with the first one.

Nothing wrong with that. It's like what Morikawa did with Ippo, where the real draw was everyone BUT Ippo.

Damborgson
Originally posted by Bentley

Gaolang best boy though

laughing out loud

The Kengan story has just enough story to make it interesting, but we're all mostly here for the fights honestly. Which have thankfully remained top tier.

Even if Liu Tian or whatever, was a total derp.

Bentley
I just couldn't stop seeing Hoenheim from Full Metal Alchemist every time he wasn't transformed

Bentley
All Hail the King of Slaughter

cdtm
Is Kengan really as underpowered relative to Baki as people say?

I don't remember anyone in Baki redirecting a bullet off the back of their hand, like Tokita Niko did.

I'll grant you have crazy things like Pickle dragging a small dinosaur sized alligator through a sewer pipe turning it inside out, Katsumi creating sonic booms with punches, Oliva Biscuit strength training against helicopters, not to mention Hanma Yujiro's craziness..

Bentley
Oliva got shot at point blank with a shotgun and was just scratched by it

KingD19
As powerful as they are in Kengan, it's mostly centered on inflicting harm on other people. Baki shows how powerful the fighters are by having them inflict damage on people and the environment. Like how Yuujiro pushed Baki through several feet of solid stone.

Quincy
Didn't someone in Baki shove a handful of shotgun shells in someone's mouTh and then punched him so hard they exploded?

Bentley
Remember that time someone crushed coal into diamond? Baki is entirely realistic

KingD19
Originally posted by Quincy
Didn't someone in Baki shove a handful of shotgun shells in someone's mouTh and then punched him so hard they exploded?

Speck did that to Hanayama. Funny thing is, Hanayama literally ate the bullets. They blew his cheeks out but he won the fight and was annoyed, but mostly unhurt from that stunt.

And Sikorski, the Russian Ripper(another of the 5 super criminals) has such strong grip strength that he sleeps on a wall. He just lays at an angle with his fingers and toes digging into the concrete.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.