The English language as the official language of the United States

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
Does the English language deserve to be or need to be officially and legally declared the language of the United States of America?

Should it be a requirement to know basic, rudimentary English?

Why or why not?

NewGuy01
ye

wxyz
Yes, because you can't fully function in a society without knowing their official language.

BrolyBlack

wxyz
Who wants to guess who will vote no?

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by Impediment
Does the English language deserve to be or need to be officially and legally declared the language of the United States of America?

Why or why not?

Reported for bait thread.

BrolyBlack
Reported for reporting

jaden_2.0
Reported for reporting reports.

Bashar Teg
op is a phaggot

BrolyBlack
laughing out loud

Old Man Whirly!
Of course English should be your language. Sadly though it isn't, adding "ize" to words does not make them real words. Neither does removing letters like "u" from correctly spelt in English words like colour. English should be your language, sadly though it isn't.

wxyz
Who voted no?

snowdragon

Why or why not?

Yes

Impediment
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
op is a phaggot

Send me a dick pic.

BrolyBlack
Originally posted by wxyz
Who voted no?

Imp

Eon Blue
Yes, it should be the formally recognized language of our great country.

Blakemore
What else is it gonna be Spanish? Arabic? Japanese? Come on.

ilikecomics
I think english is one of the most versatile languages and it probably lends itself to american success.
I dont really care if it's classified as the official language of america, that seems like patriotic pageantry and not something that would be a more socially cohesive move- in reality it would only appeal to the anti globalist types.

Blakemore
The good thing about English is it borrows words from French, Chinese and many other languages.

Impediment
I voted yes.

snowdragon
Originally posted by ilikecomics
I think english is one of the most versatile languages and it probably lends itself to american success.
I dont really care if it's classified as the official language of america, that seems like patriotic pageantry and not something that would be a more socially cohesive move- in reality it would only appeal to the anti globalist types.

To me it seems less anti-globalist and a more common sense stream lined approach to handling information........look no further than road signs and pamphlets to understand it's basic impact.

Surtur
Nobody who votes no will be able to give a valid reason.

Blakemore
for once, surtur is right

eThneoLgrRnae
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Of course English should be your language. Sadly though it isn't, adding "ize" to words does not make them real words. Neither does removing letters like "u" from correctly spelt in English words like colour. English should be your language, sadly though it isn't.

Nah, we have greatly improved upon the language that originated in your country.

United States English >>> England English.

Just like pretty much everything else in US is greater than pretty much everything else in the UK. thumb up

Simply put:

United States >>> United Kingdom. wink

eThneoLgrRnae

Blakemore
We invented English go f yourself!

eThneoLgrRnae
Originally posted by Blakemore

No shit, dumba**. I said as much in my post. Y'all created it yes, but we greatly improved upon it so you can go f yourself, "mate."

Blakemore
By misspelling favour, colour and rumour?

Old Man Whirly!
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/50-americanisms-that-dont-make-sense-to-foreigners_n_5aeb345be4b041fd2d240ad2

eThneoLgrRnae
So sorry I triggered you again with simple, obvious facts, "mate."

Blakemore
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/50-americanisms-that-dont-make-sense-to-foreigners_n_5aeb345be4b041fd2d240ad2 that article is full of cringe.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
So sorry I triggered you again with simple, obvious facts, "mate." durwank

eThneoLgrRnae
Sorry pooty, not clicking on one of your links.

Old Man Whirly!
that article is full of cringe. yeah, but funny cringe.

Blakemore
So sorry I triggered you again with simple, obvious facts, "mate." lol, I'm British, I call people mate. What up, mate?

eThneoLgrRnae
I'm such a dur hur dumba**.

Yes, pooty... we all know that already. laughing out loud

Blakemore
yeah, but funny cringe. 1 I kinda side with the Americans but the rest just boiled me. MathS ffs fn:rage

eThneoLgrRnae
You two butthurt Brits keep jerking each other off if it makes ya happy.

Old Man Whirly!
1 I kinda side with the Americans but the rest just boiled me. MathS ffs fn:rage Haha, O.K. I dont really care I was merely trolling with my initial post and yeah, it set off the usual "pariotic" suspects from the US.

Blakemore
"I could care less" you mean "I couldn't care less" dumbass.

"flammable" "inflammable" "non-inflammable" why are there three? Either it flamms or doesn't flamm.

Fanny pack? Bi-weekly? What have murkans done to our language!

Old Man Whirly!
"I could care less" you mean "I couldn't care less" dumbass.

"flammable" "inflammable" "non-inflammable" why are there three? Either it flamms or doesn't flamm.

Fanny pack? Bi-weekly? What have murkans done to our language! laughing out loud see the article isn't that bad.

Blakemore
It's rage inducing.

eThneoLgrRnae
I'm so sorry that you two butthurt Brits don't like it that my country is infinitely greater than yours.

Just keep jerking each other off as I'm sure that'll cheer the two of you right up. thumb up

Blakemore
I'm so sorry that you two don't like it that my country is infinitely greater than yours.

Just keep jerking each other off as I'm sure that'll cheer the two of you right up. thumb up You're in a bigger country. Congrats. Now if you can talk properly, that'd be great.

eThneoLgrRnae
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

I'm done replying to you in this thread or even reading your posts.

Old Man Whirly!

I'm done replying to you in this thread or even reading your posts. durwank

Blakemore
XD

eThneoLgrRnae
This reply applies to you too, pooty:

I'm done replying to you in this thread or even reading your posts.

Old Man Whirly!
This reply applies to you too, pooty: durwank laughing

Blakemore
"done replying" yet reply anyway.

It's about as stupid as saying irregardless.

Old Man Whirly!
"done replying" yet reply anyway.

It's about as stupid as saying irregardless. it's the artist formerly known as star428, what can I say about him but durwank lol. thumb up

eThneoLgrRnae
Anyways, back to the subject of the thread, I voted 'yes' of course. I wonder who all of the 'no' votes were. I have a few guesses on who they were.

I'm sure when Rob votes tomorrow he'll vote 'no' as expected.

Blakemore
I voted yes, but I wish it wasn't butchered.

Impediment
Put your dicks away and stay on topic.

Blakemore
Err, most Americans speak a somewhat competent form of English. Now spell colour with a U.

Surtur
that article is full of cringe.

It's like if Jerry Seinfeld was a millenial and then he wrote an article for the Huffpost

snowdragon

It's not english I have a problem with but the dialects you use in england make the language unamerican:P

We speak Murikan up in here, not English. Now go and take your tea and crumpits and shove them down your jabroni pie hole wink

I'm just yank'n your chain stick out tongue

Blakemore
Originally posted by snowdragon
It's not english I have a problem with but the dialects you use in england make the language unamerican:P

We speak Murikan up in here, not English. Now go and take your tea and crumpits and shove them down your jabroni pie hole wink

I'm just yank'n your chain stick out tongue maybe you should be canadian?

Surtur
maybe you should be canadian?

Go eat a kidney pie

Blakemore
Kidney pie is nice. Why the hate?

Surtur
Kidney pie is nice. Why the hate?

N1Wrx6eQZ1E

Blakemore
erm, thanks?

ilikecomics
Originally posted by snowdragon
To me it seems less anti-globalist and a more common sense stream lined approach to handling information........look no further than road signs and pamphlets to understand it's basic impact.

I agree that american english has greater utility than pretty much every other language.
It's more fluid, more evolutionary, can co opt words from other languages etc.
So, put another way, american english reigns supreme within the context of linguistics.

My globalism comment pertained to how this particular topic, and various similar argumemts surrounding it, often get looked at through a political lens.
I think the political lens hypothesis fits, because whether english becomes the official language of america or not, the people making that decision will so via poltical power.

Blakemore
if only yanks could spell.

eThneoLgrRnae
if only yanks could spell.

If only brits had brains... smh. no

Blakemore
If only brits had brains... smh. no Yeah, we tried with new England, new York and new Jersey. You can see what we were trying to do. Then you ****ed it all up.

eThneoLgrRnae
Whoops.... looks like I've gone and triggered wittle Blakey again lol.

Blakemore
I'm wittle?

eThneoLgrRnae
Perhaps it's best to get back on topic as Impediment warned us to so maybe you should watch your little snide remarks about "yanks".

Blakemore
ok. so i think americans should speak english.

Surtur
I think british people should learn to pronounce the "t" in the word british

Blakemore
Originally posted by Surtur
I think british people should learn to pronounce the "t" in the word british That's more of a northern thing.

eThneoLgrRnae
I think british people should learn to pronounce the "t" in the word british

...and quit pronouncing the 'H' in the words 'herbs'. The 'H' is supposed to be silent, ffs.

Brits.... smh. When are they going to learn actual english? laughing out loud

Blakemore
...and quit pronouncing the 'H' in the words 'herbs'. The 'H' is supposed to be silent, ffs.

Brits.... smh. When are they going to learn actual english? laughing out loud No, you're wrong.

eThneoLgrRnae
No, you're wrong.

Nope, you are.

Surtur
Also can't pronounce schedule and issue correctly

Blakemore
Do you say ishue or issyou? cos one is correct.

Also, skejool, or shejule? Cos one is correct.

BackFire

eThneoLgrRnae
We also made the language so much better by getting rid of all those unnecessary 'U's in so many words like 'color' and 'honor' , for example.

Also, what is up with spelling the word 'center' like this: centre. That is so retarded lol.

Surtur

F*ck saying shejule

eThneoLgrRnae

The first choice is correct in both cases no matter how you Brits say them.

BackFire
Everyone needs to start saying thou art.

BackFire
I actually say issue like ishyou.

eThneoLgrRnae
Yeah, I would be totally down with that KJV Bible talk. That is beautiful language.

eThneoLgrRnae
Originally posted by BackFire
I actually say issue like ishyou.

Yes, that is the proper way to say it but I don't think brits say it like that.

They're "english" is weird.

Blakemore
The first choice is correct in both cases no matter how you Brits say them. I agree.

Blakemore
Yes, that is the proper way to say it but I don't think brits say it like that. Hey, some of us do say it that way. I don't know why some don't.

BackFire

Blakemore
Yes, that is the proper way to say it but I don't think brits say it like that.

They're "english" is weird. *their yw

eThneoLgrRnae

Old Man Whirly!

Blakemore
It was their language but we have upgraded it into something better. English 2.0 lol.

They're is a significant difference between American English and British english. Our version is better, imo. *there, again, yw

BackFire
It was their language but we have upgraded it into something better. English 2.0 lol.

They're is a significant difference between American English and British english. Our version is better, imo.

Their curse words are better.

Old Man Whirly!
Their curse words are better. Yup! That clip on the Bus in Eurotrip underlines this point nicely.

eThneoLgrRnae
Their curse words are better.

Oh really? I'm not familiar with those. What are some of them?

Blakemore
There is three words which are pronounced the same. "there" referring to an area, "their" which refers to a person, and "they're" which is a contraction of "they are" now get them ****ing right!

eThneoLgrRnae
There is three words which are pronounced the same. "there" referring to an area, "their" which refers to a person, and "they're" which is a contraction of "they are" now get them ****ing right!

Yeah, that is unchanged; we haven't altered that.

BackFire
Oh really? I'm not familiar with those. What are some of them?

Bollocks, bugger, minger. Minging and i love how casually they use c*nt.

Blakemore
Yeah, that is unchanged; we haven't altered that. Then why do you constantly get them wrong?

Blakemore
Bollocks, bugger, minger. Minging and i love how casually they use c*nt. Hey, yanks use douche. That's not as common in the UK.

eThneoLgrRnae
Oh yeah, I've heard the first one before but none of those seem as strong as ours, imo. Ours are like Rated R stuff while theirs seems only like PG-13, at best.

The c*nt thing is funny though lol.

BackFire
Ours sound rougher. But theirs are fun to say.

Blakemore
**** means pussy mound. stick out tongue

Blakemore
we have other swear words like bum splat and bogey arse and wank stain...

Old Man Whirly!
Nonce is probably our worst insult.

Old Man Whirly!
Beef Curtains is a goodie

Old Man Whirly!
Star stabber and chutney ferret, poo pot pirate whilst homophobic are classic insults.

Old Man Whirly!
Crusty Flapper, means an old ****!

Old Man Whirly!
Cock Jocky, shit helmet, again homophobic.

Blakemore
Beef Curtains is a goodie XD

Star stabber and chutney ferret, poo pot pirate whilst homophobic are classic insults. I haven't even heard of them until now!

Old Man Whirly!
XD

I haven't even heard of them until now! South London insults/Pikey too to be honest.

eThneoLgrRnae
Yeah, like I said, that's all PG-13 stuff lol.

Old Man Whirly!
Backdoor Bandit, again homophobic.

Blakemore
Yeah, like I said, that's all PG-13 stuff lol. But they're suggestive as hell, cock gobbler.

Impediment
Dude! I already posted to knock off the stupid shit talking.

Next person to go off topic is getting f*cking banned for a week.

Old Man Whirly!
Yeah, like I said, that's all PG-13 stuff lol. Nonce certainly isn't. It means you are a special kind of paedo. One so vile you have to be segregated in Prison. A Baby ****er!

BackFire

Shut up, minger.

Blakemore
Nonce certainly isn't. It means you are a special kind of paedo. One so vile you have to be segregated in Prison. A Baby ****er! Wait, I thought a nonce meant ****ing teens, not infants! That's super messed up!

Old Man Whirly!
Wait, I thought a nonce meant ****ing teens, not infants! That's super messed up! Means picking up young boys, but in Prison it's started being applied to baby ****ers and means segregated on rule 43. Tbh most paedo's can be called nonces. But it applies to the most vile.

Blakemore
Kill em with fire!

Old Man Whirly!
Kill em with fire! laughing out loud

Surtur

I dont even know what's going on anymore.

Raptor22
Hey, yanks use douche. That's not as common in the UK. lol when i was in the UK i kept thinking why do i smell fish everywhere i go even if im not near the water.

Now it makes sense

Blakemore
Originally posted by Raptor22
lol when i was in the UK i kept thinking why do i smell fish everywhere i go even if im not near the water.

Now it makes sense We like fish almost as much as the scandinavian countries.

Surtur
Fish tacos?

Blakemore
Fish tacos? No, not even close!

Surtur
Any haddock?

Blakemore
Any haddock? Yeah, we have haddock, trout, cod, kippers, sardines, anchovies... all sorts of fish. Swordfish even, if one can afford it.

Surtur
A nice piece of haddock makes a fine meal.

Blakemore
niece?

Surtur
Nice

Surtur
Can't say I've had swordfish tho

Blakemore
Can't say I've had swordfish tho neither have i. that's fancy cuisine.

Surtur
U Brits love fish and chips and while it isnt bad, I've found a nice piece of fish with some breadsticks is better

Especially the ones stuffed with cheese

Blakemore
U Brits love fish and chips and while it isnt bad, I've found a nice piece of fish with some breadsticks is better

Especially the ones stuffed with cheese nope, ur wrong. fish n chips!

Surtur
mad

Trocity
I think it would be racist to make it the official language. You stole the land from Native Americans and now are making your colonizer language the official language?

Nah.

BackFire
Fish n chips is damn delicious.

Surtur
Originally posted by Trocity
I think it would be racist to make it the official language. You stole the land from Native Americans and now are making your colonizer language the official language?

Nah.

Fine, I will give you the official Native American greeting.

*scalps you*

*bows*

The End

Blakemore
Fish n chips is damn delicious. thumb up

Surtur
Fish n chips is damn delicious.

Slow your damn roll. It is not being argued it isn't delicious.

It is being argued a nice breadstick stuffed with mozzarella cheese is even better

BackFire
I do enjoy bread and cheese.

Fish n Chips is more of a craving food for me. I don't eat it very often but every now and then I'll want it really badly and at that point it's wonderful. Breadsticks is more the kind of thing I can enjoy all the time.

Surtur
As an American, the "chips" I prefer with fish are steak fries.

BackFire

Quincy

Flyattractor
Yeah. Offical don't mean shit in this Ballless society of PC Lefty Douchebaggery we live in.

Don't Wanna Offend any one unless they are white.

Then OFFEND away.

BackFire

Flyattractor
You mean the WAY It is Supposed to Be Done NOW!?

BackFire
Is speaking English a current requirement?

Flyattractor
Back in the Days were becoming a Legal Citizens required more then just Walking Here.....YES! YES IT WAS!!!! One of MANY REQUIREMENTS!

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>