How soon will we colonize Mars?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BrolyBlack
Space X wants to launch a million people to mars in the next 50 years.

It it reasonable To assume we can get there. Start a colony and colonize Mars in the next 50 years?Link

wxyz
Well since we're destroying the planet we'll be there soon enough.

Necessity is the mother of all invention.

Blakemore
Matt Damon already did.

cdtm
As soon as Democrats decide they can build a Utopia in space, fail miserably, and realize they need to call in Republicans to acually build a working civilization.

BrolyBlack
Originally posted by wxyz
Well since we're destroying the planet we'll be there soon enough.

Necessity is the mother of all invention.

To create you sadly must destroy. I believe the Indians were the last know people who were able to live in harmony with nature

Mindship
Colonize? Next century.

When a futurist says 'X', add Murphy's law and multiply by at least 50%.

Old Man Whirly!
space X talk bollocks.

BrolyBlack
Whirly, you have no idea what science is.

Blakemore
Originally posted by BrolyBlack
Whirly, you have no idea what science is. And you do? laughing

dadudemon
Originally posted by Mindship
Colonize? Next century.

When a futurist says 'X', add Murphy's law and multiply by at least 50%.

Ehhhh, that's probably fair.

I hope we come up with G.A.I. in the next 10-20 years. I want to digitize my brain and live in a magic and cultivation (immortal cultivation) universe that has RPG elements. Then we virtually visit the stars with probes, data, etc. Then render it in our Virtual Realities where our digitized brains live in our digital avatars.

carthage
Its going to take hundreds of years, and we have no clue how to build a magnetic field to protect us from the solar flares and shit. It will happen but its going to be a hard process and require lots of technological improvements.

BruceSkywalker
once kmc is officially dead

BackFire
To create you sadly must destroy. I believe the Indians were the last know people who were able to live in harmony with nature

And then we committed genocide upon them.

Anyways. 50 years is doable I think.

carthage
We're going to establish an outpost and see if conditions are suitable for human habitation. When i think of "colonization" I think of the immediate process of scientists living there and testing conditions to make it ready alongside industry to make it possible to build settlements for actual colonizers. At least something in that process

ares834
A million people in 50 years? Yeah, I don't see that as realistic. Maybe 100 years.

ares834
Originally posted by carthage
We're going to establish an outpost and see if conditions are suitable for human habitation.

What do you mean? We already know that they aren't.

carthage
I mean how using tech and science to make it possible for human habitation. Derp on my end.

wxyz
So if and when humans colonize Mars we can destroy that planet too and move to Uranus.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by BackFire
And then we committed genocide upon them.

Anyways. 50 years is doable I think. Thing is, when I was a kid and people were landing on the moon... we talked about moonbases and mars in the 80's and 90's. Then it all stopped. Credible Scientists like Carl Sagan were talking about it then. No one has visited the moon since 72. We have had lots of disasters with even the shuttles, then we have the radiation problem to fix and trust me the low orbit of the Space Station is nothing to the hit from Interplanetary travel and don't get me started on muscle wastage, bone density, and what it probably does to the immune system and a hundred other things we have no real knowledge of because we simply can't recreate the conditions on Earth or in low Earth orbit.

Mindship
Originally posted by dadudemon
I hope we come up with G.A.I. in the next 10-20 years. I want to digitize my brain and live in a magic and cultivation (immortal cultivation) universe that has RPG elements. Then we virtually visit the stars with probes, data, etc. Then render it in our Virtual Realities where our digitized brains live in our digital avatars. As long as there are no devs involved from Activision/Blizzard, I'd give it a shot.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Mindship
As long as there are no devs involved from Activision/Blizzard, I'd give it a shot.

Microtransaction out the wazzoooo!

SquallX
Until the Martians come back from their long vacations and wipe us out.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
once kmc is officially dead

That's going to take a looooooooooooong time.

Raz is nothing but persistent.

Eon Blue

Wise and true words. thumb up

Impediment
I'm gonna say at least the next century. And that's a stretch.

2200? Sounds viable.

Stringer
Space Force is so great and so perfect.

BrolyBlack
laughing out loud

Blakemore
I already told you guys, Matt Damon!

Stringer
Its phenomenal and good in every way and fantastic. So perfect and outstanding.

ilikecomics
I didnt read the link you posted in the op, broly, because i thought it would be a better time to speculate without being biased from the article.

I think one of the most potent forces currently operating on the planet is advertising, whose power as a force has increased exponentially due to everyone participating in mass data collection via using social media, smart phone apps that track your steps, streaming services etc.

So the question to me is; what way will public opinion sway in regards to the mars question?
If the public views space travel favorably then it will obviously happen at a much faster pace, alternatively tho the public could be unaware of the vast treasures that await us in the cosmos and governments and entrepreneurs will clandestinely claim their stakes while an unassuming public continues to channel surf and stare at their phones.

So lets hope enough tik tokkers and youtubers fancy space travel so we dont have to continue to limit ourselves to only one little ball of dirt.

Ive always loved science fiction and i think if the right group of pioneering souls lands on mars we could see them create something we couldn't begin to imagine with our earth based chauvinism.

ilikecomics
Andy weir's books are so cool because he puts in the work to make the book believable via real world math etc.

Artol
I think in the current system it will depend very much on what monetization avenues we will find. I do think we could colonize Mars in Musk's timeframe theoretically, but will we want to, that's the real question, I think

dadudemon
Originally posted by Artol
I think in the current system it will depend very much on what monetization avenues we will find. I do think we could colonize Mars in Musk's timeframe theoretically, but will we want to, that's the real question, I think

I think the common person wants to. But we spend hundreds of billions in the US on useless things propping up products, services, and markets that add little to no value to the long-term economic landscape.

Artol
Originally posted by dadudemon
I think the common person wants to. But we spend hundreds of billions in the US on useless things propping up products, services, and markets that add little to no value to the long-term economic landscape.

I agree. I do think you could get a fair amount of people to fervently support it. I am just not sure that it will really happen.

In my ideal world it would be a project for humanity the different international space agencies working together for the good of the people, but that's sadly naive, I think.

Lestov16
We will probably colonize Mars when dumbass Conservatives ( like the kind who run like bytches from forums because they knew I was coming back to blast them&#129315wink learn to abandon their tribalism and Willful ignorance 😉

Wonder Man
Well if we try to introduce a species that can open the environment and other factors it would probably lead to new sciences

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.