Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ridley_Prime
We knew said film reboot was coming for awhile, but now finally got more details on it, it seems. Not too surprising after the recent RE adaptation news on Netflix's end, but still.

https://deadline.com/2020/10/resident-evil-reboot-kaya-scodelario-robbie-amell-hannah-john-kamen-origin-story-1234591729/

Decent looking cast imo on first impression, but however this turns out, I expect to at least be better than any of the Paul and Milla films; low bar, I know, but their focus will be butchering Monster Hunter now, while RE gets something more promising on the live action front, finally.

BruceSkywalker
will prolly see but hopefully lots of violence

Kazenji
Wonder how much they'll change. I get that the director said in that article that he wants to go back to the original first two games and re-create the terrifying visceral experience that he had from them

but they say that for most of the game to movie adaptations.

riv6672

samhain
I'm guessing Neal McDonough will play Wesker, unless they're just trolling us, I'd respect that TBH.

RONAKVALIA
I was thinking in the game of this game because this game has always been a legend read more- https://www.viralchors.com/2020/10/mirzapur-s2-official-trailer-pankaj.html?m=1

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by samhain
I'm guessing Neal McDonough will play Wesker, unless they're just trolling us, I'd respect that TBH.
He is playing William Birkin apparently, which is a good fit imo.

-Pr-
lol Leon.

Kazenji
Yeah....i don't see that actor as Leon.

Arachnid1
TBH I think he can do fine as (an obviously race swapped) Leon. He's got the younger, boy band look going. As long as his acting chops are great, he can pull off idealistic/dorky RE2 Leon no problem. IDK though since I've never seen him in anything.

https://assets.teenvogue.com/photos/55832f8dc3f29bdf1f2b7717/master/w_600,h_900,c_limit/entertainment-tv-2012-10-02-Avan.jpg

Same applies to Jill, though she's got Jill's piercing eyes going for her. Chris and Claire look fantastic. Neal McDonough is a good actor, and TBH he'll spend most of the time covered in CGI as G-birkin anyways.

I'm more worried about Tom Hopper as Wesker than anything. The only thing he has in common with the character is ethnicity. In everything I've ever seen him in (which is a lot), I've never seen him pull of anything close to the suave, calculating character Wesker is. IDK if I could take him seriously as the main villain of the series, and I don't think he has the range to pull it off.

Also, they better not leave out Rebecca.

Surtur
I think the last resident evil movie i saw was apocalypse

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Arachnid1
TBH I think he can do fine as (an obviously race swapped) Leon. He's got the younger, boy band look going. As long as his acting chops are great, he can pull off idealistic/dorky RE2 Leon no problem. IDK though since I've never seen him in anything.

https://assets.teenvogue.com/photos/55832f8dc3f29bdf1f2b7717/master/w_600,h_900,c_limit/entertainment-tv-2012-10-02-Avan.jpg

Same applies to Jill, though she's got Jill's piercing eyes going for her. Chris and Claire look fantastic. Neal McDonough is a good actor, and TBH he'll spend most of the time covered in CGI as G-birkin anyways.

I'm more worried about Tom Hopper as Wesker than anything. The only thing he has in common with the character is ethnicity. In everything I've ever seen him in (which is a lot), I've never seen him pull of anything close to the suave, calculating character Wesker is. IDK if I could take him seriously as the main villain of the series, and I don't think he has the range to pull it off.

Also, they better not leave out Rebecca.

you ever watch the show victorious, he was in that

SquallX
Another Hollywood race swapping to appealed to minorities. laughing

This is so damn sad.

Kazenji
Originally posted by SquallX

This is so damn sad.

And yet your the one that loses their shit over too.

SquallX

riv6672

SquallX

riv6672
There you go.

BruceSkywalker

Surtur
Originally posted by SquallX

This is so damn sad.

The movie is racist unless it has an african american albino zombie.

Kazenji
That's were you're wrong

but my previous post at you still stands.

riv6672

Kazenji
Likewise.

Ridley_Prime
Surprised I didnt see any crying here about Commissioner Gordon being black now in the Matt Reeves Batman or something, for someone to be that salty over the Leon actor.

-Pr-
I would imagine it's partially because Leon has a much bigger fanbase than Jim Gordon does.

That, and after the Snyder version of Batman, I would imagine a lot of people will tolerate Gordon being changed if it means getting a decent Batman movie.

SquallX

Ridley_Prime
Avan (the guy picked as Leon) probably would've been easier to see as Carlos or someone, but if he's got the range to pull off Leon well, then don't really care. It's your hill to die on if this film's ruined for you just off of one guy's ethnicity. shrug

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
will prolly see but hopefully lots of violence

Violence and gore.

R-rated or nothing.

SquallX

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Violence and gore.

R-rated or nothing.

it better have bloody gore and violence. besides avan joglia who plays leon, he will be singing all throughout the film

Kazenji
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Surprised I didnt see any crying here about Commissioner Gordon being black now in the Matt Reeves Batman or something, for someone to be that salty over the Leon actor.

People also didn't cry about changing the race for Heimdall for the Thor films too.

Impediment

Ridley_Prime
Yeah, this still looks better than the Alice films or Mortal Kombat 2021. I get why people aren't quite sold on it though. Some of the casting which the trailer didn't make me feel better about, looking like they'll rush plot points between RE 1 and 2, the Lisa Trevor thing, and such. But still curious enough to check out.

StiltmanFTW
Running zombies are an insult to the zombie genre, only the very few films managed to pull it off.

And since the whole point is staying faithful to the games this time, not repeating the old mistakes, they shouldn't start with those.

BackFire
Looks like a corny, shitty B movie, so pretty accurate to the mood and style of the old games.

Could be fun.

Patient_Leech
Extremely poor choice of music for the trailer, but otherwise I'm intrigued. What BackFire said.

Kazenji
The only movie i liked from the Paul W.S. Anderson ones was the first one, After that one they went to dogshit.

robotflug
Live Action Resident Evil movies will never work and not be taken seriously because the games ideas were just a mishmash of John Carpenters The Thing, George A. Romero's Zombie movies and even the Fox Alien movies.

samhain
I enjoyed the trailer, at least when compared to the other largely terrible movies, it looks good and as long as the script isn't overly stupid (big ask I know) it might be fun.

Are people really complaining about Leon being race swapped? It's not like the actor playing him is Yaphet Kotto ffs, he'll probably just look like a tanned white guy TBH.

However the race swapping will be noticeable when Leon gives that great speech from the game about being white, the scenes where he discovers his white heritage will be a problem too.

jaden_2.0
This looks so bad I couldn't even finish watching the trailer.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
This looks so bad I couldn't even finish watching the trailer.

Did you get to the part when Cher's Believe song started? laughing out loud

Thegw
Awful

qoiuWK8zxHE

StiltmanFTW
Stop spamming. Nobody cares.

Thegw
Stop spamming. Nobody cares. stop goobing, you're not getting any anyway

Ridley_Prime
Kinda scummy that there is no streaming service alternative for this film like there is for most other ones now. Maybe like in Resident Evil, the plan with the film is to get as many people as possible to catch a certain virus in order to go see it.

Will probably wait awhile on this one.

Ridley_Prime
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/meet-resident-evil-welcome-to-raccoon-citys-wesker/1100-6497462/

All those vignette trailers honestly make me feel better about the movie now. Shouldve just led with that instead of the trailer they had before.

Kazenji
I'm fine with Tom Hopper playing Wesker, He's good on Umbrella Academy

the only one i'm still not sold on is the actor they've chosen for Leon.

S_W_LeGenD
This Film is much closer to the games than the Paul W. S. Anderson Trilogy which is a step in the right direction.

Following trailer is without music:

1LNlXzXEy_A

Looking forward to watch it.

It gives the impression of a low-budget production though.

1. What should be a city looks more like a town.
2. Leon is hardly recognizable.
3. Poor CGI monster effects.

It is surprising to see that Hollywood is unable to come up with a Masterpiece for the Lore-Rich Resident Evil franchise.

A high-budget TV show might be a better model for the Resident Evil franchise. Have a look at following Short Film:

CRYgxvqx1P4

I would like to see what Frank Darabont can come up with, with good budget of-course.

The Walking Dead Season 1 is a masterpiece. The remainder is glorified mediocrity.

Nemesis X
I still remain cautious. RE 1 & 2 can both be their own movies in their own right. Mashing them together with odd changes sprinkled like Chris being a skeptic or Lisa Trevor being a scientist(? Apparently?) is gonna have random results.

StiltmanFTW
Making zombies run is not a good idea, either.

Kazenji
They also did that in the games with RE 5 & 6, but that was back when they were trying to appeal to the CoD crowd.

StiltmanFTW
I know that running zombies do exist in the RE universe, but it's way too early to introduce those... and let's be honest, fast zombies are killing all the charm.

Slow impending doom. That's how the true zombie action works.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Kazenji
They also did that in the games with RE 5 & 6, but that was back when they were trying to appeal to the CoD crowd.
I dont recall them running even in those games, at least by a significant distance. Was mainly the dogs that ran.

StiltmanFTW
thumb up

Yeah, I was about to mention the dogs.

Running zombies sort of ruin the whole purpose of undead dogs in RE, lol.

Nemesis X
This isn't even supposed to be the point in time when running zombies should be introduced or not as many. Zombies with specifically the T-Virus are your slow traditional types and only fast when mutated into the super late stages of Crimson Heads and these zombies don't look like those unless the studio cut corners in the makeup department saving money like they did not giving Leon's actor a hair stylist.

Khazra Reborn
Looks like a low budget made for TV film.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
I dont recall them running even in those games, at least by a significant distance. Was mainly the dogs that ran.

They did run in those two games but not to the point like they're in the Olympics.

Nemesis X
ZSDJz3WtRWo

That delivery for "get out of this town" hurt.

Will admit the idea for a crossover in a sense between characters from different entries like Sherry meeting Lisa is an interesting What If but whether the creator of this movie will make these encounters suck time will tell.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Nemesis X
This isn't even supposed to be the point in time when running zombies should be introduced or not as many.

thumb up

As I was saying, yes.

Zombies with specifically the T-Virus are your slow traditional types and only fast when mutated into the super late stages of Crimson Heads and these zombies don't look like those unless the studio cut corners in the makeup department saving money like they did not giving Leon's actor a hair stylist.

Crimsons were introduced in the remake and are quite obscure, afaik.

Far more likely that the movie simply won't be faithful to the games (again).

Adam Grimes
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
1. What should be a city looks more like a town. Tbf this is also how I would describe Raccoon City as depicted in the first 3 games.

cdtm
I know that running zombies do exist in the RE universe, but it's way too early to introduce those... and let's be honest, fast zombies are killing all the charm.

Slow impending doom. That's how the true zombie action works.

RE was outdone in classic zombies by Dead Rising.

Ridley_Prime
In addition to the concerns voiced above, it's how they're just going all over the place lore wise that has me a little concerned with this film. Others pointed it out from the beginning, but now that I've seen enough trailers it's started to sink in for me more.

There is such a thing as thinking too far ahead with sequels over just focusing on having one good film first. That's the problem with a lot of reboot film series; when they try to start off big, it falls flat on its face.

I think this film will likely have some nice interesting parts in between at least, but overall won't be that good; at least from what I've seen of it now, but after Mortal Kombat, I was prepared for this.

Kazenji
Originally posted by cdtm
RE was outdone in classic zombies by Dead Rising.

and then Dead Rising killed itself with the 4th game.

S_W_LeGenD
ZSDJz3WtRWo

That delivery for "get out of this town" hurt.

Will admit the idea for a crossover in a sense between characters from different entries like Sherry meeting Lisa is an interesting What If but whether the creator of this movie will make these encounters suck time will tell.
This trailer is well done.

Older trailers disclosed too much and nearly killed suspense; bad marketing decision.

Kazenji
Been reading from the reviews this is kinda shit in regards to the characters

On one hand they got the monsters and the setting right but when it comes to the characters its rather shit.

SquallX

Old Man Whirly!
mmm Squallx is back.

Ridley_Prime
Many would disagree on the 2nd Milla film, considering it one of the worst of the series (not that any of the sequels came close to the first one as a horror film), but okay.

But yeah, got enough an idea on this film to not bother checking it out anytime soon. Even the reviews was lower than I expected.

SquallX

S_W_LeGenD
Johannes Roberts managed to create an atmosphere suitable for this Film but a better writer could be hired to polish his work. What is the point of hiring so many quality actors only to waste their potential with shitty writing?

Being a rookie at the time of events in Raccoon City doesn't imply that Leon S. Kennedy was an idiot and/or did not know how to shoot. He was simply unaware of the developments in Raccoon City when he showed up in the Raccoon City Police Station for duty. He showed much promise in his training sessions otherwise. He also had nerves of steel to cope with tremendous amount of horrors awaiting him in the city. Average person would psychologically crumble in his shoes.

Hollywood Distribution Companies have a history of approving subpar works just to earn bucks - quality is secondary consideration to most of them. They know that people will watch and appreciate subpar works due to nostalgia factor.

Nemesis X
Oh hell no! In what way is not following his lore to a T and focusing primarily on trying to kill Jill who have an iconic feud across multiple media, pussing out dying in the end via helicopter crash but not before shoving some Beauty & The Beast nausea between him and the attention craving Mary Sue justice?

SquallX

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
mmm Squallx is back.

We always come back.

It's impossible to leave this place for good.

Unless the death takes us.

R.I.P. Guy and Biensalsa.

PS. You think there's a KMC in the afterlife?

Patient_Leech
^ laughing out loud

PS. You think there's a KMC in the afterlife?

I'd like to think so. 😏

Patient_Leech
I watched this and while I'm pretty clueless as far as the games go, I found the movie pretty mediocre. 6/10 at best. The style of direction was actually kind of nice, so that saved it a lot, but there just wasn't much story or really much reason in general to justify the film. Some decent makeup effects, but that's about it.

I can't believe that dumbass in the jail cell didn't turn the gun toward the zombie. The stupid was too much.

I agree that at least the first 2 or 3 Milla Paul WS Anderson films are more enjoyable/fun.

Kazenji
I've read they that they combine the plots of RE 1 & 2 into one movie....just use one ffs.

S_W_LeGenD
I watched this movie recently.

The atmosphere is well done. Credit where due.

I noticed following problems:

1. The characters were poorly handled.
2. The Mansion segment did not contribute much to the plot - completely mishandled.
3. The Director wasn't sure about whether he wanted to make a serious horror movie or a comedy horror movie.
4. The boss fight was underwhelming and poorly executed.

Impediment
Two friends of mine saw this and they opined that it was a steaming mound of iguana shit.

I'll wait for streaming.

Old Man Whirly!
Enjoyable

Patient_Leech
It has some positive points, but I found it to be extremely mediocre overall.

Ridley_Prime
Finally got around to this; watching bits and pieces at least but enough to know the full plot, and... It was about as bad as I expected if not worse. Where to begin...

I know it was meshing the RE1 and RE2 stories together, but not having some of the characters from either still hurt. No Barry for one. Donal Logue (known for Bullock in Gotham and such) who played Chief Irons here honestly could've been cast as Barry and that would've worked better for this film. Also missing Mr X from the RE2 half, and why are the Hunters never put in these live action movies? Always the Lickers, which wasn't executed here as well as in the Anderson movies either, nor were the effects as good. Mutated Birkin was underwhelming and really rushed too. Even Paul Anderson's Nemesis had more screen time.

Jill being an angry shoot first ask questions later type made her pretty unlikable here. Claire's also an angry nut. And this Leon, or Leon Stupid Kennedy as he was referred to got his job because of nepotism. laughing out loud Chris and Claire being orphans from that orphanage in the RE2make is also kinda weird. Same with Lisa Trevor being from there instead of the Arklay Mansion and being friends with Claire.

Wesker's neither the STARS captain in this or has any connection to Umbrella. Not even a bad guy, just a mercenary who accepted a side mission for money to expose an evil company. It makes no sense for Jill to even demonize this version of Wesker with that said or let alone shoot him in the back. Ada being shoehorned at the end to "resurrect" Wesker and give him his sunglasses felt out of character too.

Like with Mortal Kombat 2021, the little on paper and set piece references are cute, but you'd appreciate them more if they were in a better movie. It's focusing on the small details instead of the big picture. Plus the Code Veronica reference with the Ashford twins was out of place here.

It shouldn't be that hard to adapt Resident Evil into a really good movie, but based on the results we've kept getting, it's one of the hardest things in the universe.

Nemesis X
Between the displacement of Lisa Trevor and the Ashford kids' old film reel of all things playing at some point, it's like a TV ad commercial compiling bits from Resident Evil's past maybe to promote a bad mobile game but somebody barged in the room and was like "you know what'd be better? Turning it into a movie!"

So much bad that came outta this. Like the references they shoehorn and ruin into complete annihilation. Instead of using the iconic zombie head turn from RE1 as the introduction to our undead, they save it halfway into the film after zombies have already attacked people and invaded the RPD. There's also another reference, the itchy tasty quote found among the first game's collectibles where in the movie a zombie woman not only writes it but screams it over & over in our protagonist's face. Was that seriously meant to be scary? Good grief.

I could like a Resident Evil alternate universe with a morally good Wesker but his actor suuuuucks as equally as Jill's IQ shooting his ass. It was Irons who told their team to go to Arklay, why other than to play a damn parody on the original did she automatically make Wesker out as prime suspect?

I'll give WRC this: Other than being where she shouldn't, didn't find anything to dislike about Lisa Trevor. Certainly treated her with more decency here than Paul Anderson did for Nemesis in Apocalypse. But in a turnaround he didn't look as bad compared to Birkin's mutated forms and my goodness, what potential this actor had but someone decided his character would get shot & turned from around the beginning. Lame!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.