Go Woke, Go Broke: NBA to Remove SJW Bullshit from the Court Next Season

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dadudemon
https://www.outkick.com/adam-silver-nba-social-justice-messaging-will-be-largely-left-off-the-court-next-season/

Who will learn from the NBA's mistake and adapt to the market?

Looks like the NBA is paying attention to the market research where the viewers just don't want this bullshit smeared all over the game. Looks like tens of millions of Americans don't care about the 10 unarmed black men killed by the police each year.

Is the NBA wrong? Are they making the correct decision? Tell us your thoughts.

Silent Master
I think they should not only double down, but take it to the next level. do things like create a SJW anthem and force everyone to stand and sing it before every game.

wxyz
This is great news.

samhain
Originally posted by Silent Master
I think they should not only double down, but take it to the next level. do things like create a SJW anthem and force everyone to stand and sing it before every game.

But then wheelchair-bound mute people wouldn't be able to partake, shame on you.

wxyz
I guess Jacob Blake won't be pleased.

Blakemore
douche thread said their a douche.

Quincy

BackFire

Old Man Whirly!
The culture of the US is hopefully about to have a sea change back to some degree of decorum, decency and civilisation. So we will see if those labelled SJW's, who I would rename the civilised remain villains.

dadudemon

Quincy
Yeah! Just the balls! Not balls AND names on jerseys!

Well, names on jerseys, but the RIGHT names on jerseys!

Now we can watch again!

---

Just playing!

But I didn't hear Adam say anything about going broke though I missed that bitttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Quincy
Course, I could care less. I don't watch professional sports. So I already wasn't watching. Didn't realize that SJW virtue signaling was this invasive that it was triggering people.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Quincy
Yeah! Just the balls! Not balls AND names on jerseys!

Well, names on jerseys, but the RIGHT names on jerseys!

Now we can watch again!

---

Just playing!

But I didn't hear Adam say anything about going broke though I missed that bitttttttttttttttttttttttttt

You don't have to worry about him admitting they went broke with their poorly chosen SJW virtue signaling "strategy." Multiple news agencies have covered the tanked ratings for the NBA. Ratings equates contracts and advertisements. Which means their revenue tanked in direct correlation to their ratings.

That and the actual market research into why people stopped watching.

We have the reasons served up on a silver platter. He'd be very very stupid not to understand where they went wrong.

You'd think they would have known better with Gillette's idiotic SJW woke bullshit.

And I'm not playing. smile

Course, I could care less. I don't watch professional sports. So I already wasn't watching. Didn't realize that SJW virtue signaling was this invasive that it was triggering people.

The opposite of triggering. It's apathy and loss of interest. Not an active boycott. People literally don't want SJW politics and virtue signaling in a game. They want to watch a game. Many people watch games to escape the bullshit. And then the bullshit is smeared all over their hobby, no escape from the bullshit.

Quincy
Originally posted by dadudemon

https://media.giphy.com/media/l41YoDjwM8Qa7pgT6/giphy.gif

Quincy
I dunno bruv, I just plugged in "NBA Ratings" and it's a lot lot lot of people using that same woke broke joke and getting real salty. That seems like, people who had been triggered. But hey, folks react to things how they react to things. Or become apathetic to a thing they like and then not react at all and that in itself is a reaction. Who knows yooooo

Old Man Whirly!
You don't have to worry about him admitting they went broke with their poorly chosen SJW virtue signaling "strategy." Multiple news agencies have covered the tanked ratings for the NBA. Ratings equates contracts and advertisements. Which means their revenue tanked in direct correlation to their ratings.

That and the actual market research into why people stopped watching.

We have the reasons served up on a silver platter. He'd be very very stupid not to understand where they went wrong.

You'd think they would have known better with Gillette's idiotic SJW woke bullshit.

The opposite of triggering. It's apathy and loss of interest. Not an active boycott. People literally don't want SJW politics and virtue signaling in a game. They want to watch a game. Many people watch games to escape the bullshit. And then the bullshit is smeared all over their hobby, no escape from the bullshit. surely calling out virtue signalling is just virtue signalling

Robtard

I'm largely with you on the sports thing aside from the World Cup. But it's not really that invasive, it's largely an imagined bogeyman created by the very same people who are against it, these people are just sensitive.

eg Colin Kaepernick peacefully protesting in silence (as is his right) was only made into huge thing by sensitive types ridiculously overreacting to someone kneeling. "He hates America!", "Kick him out!" etc.

If they'd not protested so loud to a man kneeling in peace, it wouldn't have gained the traction it gained and become the behemoth it became.

Tzeentch
Is the SJW bullshit more responsible for the drop in ratings than the fact that the season was basically cut in half due to the pandemic and is now competing for viewership with other sports that it historically never had to compete with before?

Quincy
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Is the SJW bullshit more responsible for the drop in ratings than the fact that the season was basically cut in half due to the pandemic and is now competing for viewership with other sports that it historically never had to compete with before?

No it's the VIRTUE SIGNALLING and it has to STOPPPPPPPPPP

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Robtard
I'm largely with you on the sports thing aside from the World Cup. But it's not really that invasive, it's largely an imagined bogeyman created by the very same people who are against it, these people are just sensitive.

eg Colin Kaepernick peacefully protesting in silence (as is his right) was only made into huge thing by sensitive types ridiculously overreacting to someone kneeling. "He hates America!", "Kick him out!" etc.

If they'd not protested so loud to a man kneeling in peace, it wouldn't have gained the traction it gained and become the behemoth it became. Originally posted by Tzeentch
Is the SJW bullshit more responsible for the drop in ratings than the fact that the season was basically cut in half due to the pandemic and is now competing for viewership with other sports that it historically never had to compete with before? Originally posted by Quincy
No it's the VIRTUE SIGNALLING and it has to STOPPPPPPPPPP thumb up to all 3 of you.

snowdragon
Why do these guys make millions while teachers make scratch?

Robtard

^This is why Tzeen is one of the smartest in KMC. Concise insight.

Robtard
Originally posted by snowdragon

Because of the value Americans put on sports-entertainment compared to the value they put on education.

Old Man Whirly!
Elite athletes are rarer than people who can teach. Most teachers can't fill a classroom led alone a stadium. It's supply and demand rather than anything sinister.

Quincy

Total BS. What society values money wise is just a total drag

Surtur

Yes, yes it is more responsible. Did you have a follow up question?

Quincy
Surt coming in with that signature smudge-ness. The knockout blow

cdtm
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Elite athletes are rarer than people who can teach. Most teachers can't fill a classroom led alone a stadium. It's supply and demand rather than anything sinister.

Didn't one sports owner say "There's always someone to pick the cotton"?

Or something? I can't seem to find it now, but I remember one owner made a highly offensive comment once.

I did find this though:

https://time.com/81170/donald-sterling-los-angeles-clippers-nba-adam-silver/

Wow, and this guys worth 2 billion. Wonder how prevalent this attitude is behind the scenes?

dadudemon
I dunno bruv, I just plugged in "NBA Ratings" and it's a lot lot lot of people using that same woke broke joke and getting real salty. That seems like, people who had been triggered. But hey, folks react to things how they react to things. Or become apathetic to a thing they like and then not react at all and that in itself is a reaction. Who knows yooooo

Journalists, bloggers, and opinion writers writing about the millions of people not watching the NBA do not represent the millions. The polls are much better representations.

Those writers will sensationalize and use charged language.

loss of interest != triggerdom

Surtur
Surt coming in with that signature smudge-ness. The knockout blow

*shrugs* It's what we always see whenever wokeness is alluded to be the reasons behind failure. We see the same excuses trotted out whenever an award shows ratings hit a new low, etc. We saw similar excuses when the NFL took a ratings hit after all the kneeling.

Anything to try to ignore the fact the average person is sick and tired of woke nonsense.

dadudemon

No. You're making a case for hyper-consumption where we'd see massive spikes in ratings especially for the many people stuck at home.

We didhn't. We saw massive drops. And actual polls told us why: SJW bullshit.

dadudemon
And based on the responses from some in this thread, looks like some of you are triggered that the NBA realized their SJW bullshit didn't create more ratings.

Here's some advice: less SJW bullshit in your life, more thinking in your life.

Old Man Whirly!
And based on the responses from some in this thread, looks like some of you are triggered that the NBA realized their SJW bullshit didn't create more ratings.

Here's some advice: less SJW bullshit in your life, more thinking in your life. Looks at last page, wonders why Ddm angrily want's to push a troll narrative.

Robtard
This thread is similar with the claim that was had two-ish years ago regarding Gillette, that a single commercial that triggered a very small minority of sensitive men is the reason Gillette's sales were down. When in reality it was that more and more men are growing beards; dropping the clean shaven look and the rise of cheap(er) quality razor blades that you can have delivered to your house at a fraction of the cost. eg Dollar Shave Club, Harry's, ShaveMob etc.

snowdragon
Originally posted by Robtard
This thread is similar with the claim that was had two-ish years ago regarding Gillette, that a single commercial that triggered a very small minority of sensitive men is the reason Gillette's sales were down. When in reality it was that more and more men are growing beards; dropping the clean shaven look and the rise of cheap(er) quality razor blades that you can have delivered to your house at a fraction of the cost. eg Dollar Shave Club, Harry's, ShaveMob etc.

You know what due to your specific post I am cancelling all my harry future purchasessmile While that could have been a reason they lost far more then just a movement.

Raptor22

Tzeentch
Originally posted by Surtur
*shrugs* It's what we always see whenever wokeness is alluded to be the reasons behind failure. We see the same excuses trotted out whenever an award shows ratings hit a new low, etc. We saw similar excuses when the NFL took a ratings hit after all the kneeling.

Anything to try to ignore the fact the average person is sick and tired of woke nonsense. So if it's as definite as you claim, what is your source? There very well maybe some poll that explicitly asks how viewers feel about the NBA's involvement in politics, in which people overwhelmingly stated that they don't want to see politics mess with the NBA, but that poll is certainly not what was presented in the OP.

wxyz

Agreed, athletes should make less and teachers more.

Tzeentch
I don't understand why people always compare teachers to athletes, and I also don't understand why people think salaries are a zero-sum game.

Teachers and athletes have really nothing in common. Teachers are paid by the state. Athletes work for private entities and their money does not come from taxpayers- the Lions share of the money that athletes make comes from companies like Nike choosing to pay them millions of dollars. So it's not like athletes are competing with teachers and taking money that would be going to teachers. If pro athletes received 1/4 of the money that they're getting now, that would not translate to teachers getting paid more.

Conversely, if teachers got paid more that wouldn't have any effect on athletes. So why are athletes even part of the discussion? Just pay teachers more money.

Nibedicus

Lestov16
So basically when Kim Davis hates gays out if petulant intolerance, it's the American Freedom Of Business, but when athletes try to bring awareness to actual social causes, How Dare They Use Business To Freely Express Their Views.

Not that I agree with all current athletic social justice campaigns, but saying it is Bad Liberal Business Tactics, when Conservatives have been proudly doing the same thing for much longer and far more malicious reasons, is nothing less than Deplorable Hypocrisy

Surtur
Originally posted by Lestov16
So basically when Kim Davis hates gays out if petulant intolerance, it's the American Freedom Of Business, but when athletes try to bring awareness to actual social causes, How Dare They Use Business To Freely Express Their Views.

Not that I agree with all current athletic social justice campaigns, but saying it is Bad Liberal Business Tactics, when Conservatives have been proudly doing the same thing for much longer and far more malicious reasons, is nothing less than Deplorable Hypocrisy

I suspect people don't tune into sports in order to be exposed to that nonsense.

The question is why they can't figure this out. Well I guess the NBA did figure it out.

There is also the issue of hypocrisy in the NBA and their relationship with China, so it is especially puzzling to be preached at by them.

Then you have teams in the NFL putting names of people "killed by police", among them a pregnant woman who was killed because her criminal boyfriend used her as a damn human shield. It's insane to blame cops for that, but here we are. Shit like that makes it seem like they aren't even serious and just assume people will not look into the backgrounds of the people they "honor".

cdtm

Huh?

What does Kin Davis have to do with athletes and activism? Or even Conservatism? Kim Davis refused to issue marriage licenses purely for her own reasons, and went off the deep end after being jailed for it.

Tzeentch
I suspect people don't tune into sports in order to be exposed to that nonsense.

The question is why they can't figure this out. Well I guess the NBA did figure it out.

There is also the issue of hypocrisy in the NBA and their relationship with China, so it is especially puzzling to be preached at by them.

Then you have teams in the NFL putting names of people "killed by police", among them a pregnant woman who was killed because her criminal boyfriend used her as a damn human shield. It's insane to blame cops for that, but here we are. Shit like that makes it seem like they aren't even serious and just assume people will not look into the backgrounds of the people they "honor". why didn't you respond to my post buddy?

dadudemon
why didn't you respond to my post buddy?

I'll respond to it.

I don't understand why people always compare teachers to athletes, and I also don't understand why people think salaries are a zero-sum game.

Teachers and athletes have really nothing in common. Teachers are paid by the state. Athletes work for private entities and their money does not come from taxpayers- the Lions share of the money that athletes make comes from companies like Nike choosing to pay them millions of dollars. So it's not like athletes are competing with teachers and taking money that would be going to teachers. If pro athletes received 1/4 of the money that they're getting now, that would not translate to teachers getting paid more.

Conversely, if teachers got paid more that wouldn't have any effect on athletes. So why are athletes even part of the discussion? Just pay teachers more money.

Good points.

Teachers are much more comparable to coaches and in fact, they often overlap. Athletes? No. Coaches? Yes.

So let's move the goalposts to be about teachers and coaches instead of teachers and athletes.

Who's with me on moving the goalposts?

Lestov16
I'll respond to it.

Good points.

Teachers are much more comparable to coaches and in fact, they often overlap. Athletes? No. Coaches? Yes.

So let's move the goalposts to be about teachers and coaches instead of teachers and athletes.

Who's with me on moving the goalposts?

It seems regardless of the goalpost, the goal itself is paying teachers and the education system more to teach the children of future how to build a better society, and showing proper recognition to the hardworking people who take time to perform what is arguably one of if not the peak of society's most important jobs.

Do you agree with that?

Lestov16
Originally posted by cdtm
Huh?

What does Kin Davis have to do with athletes and activism? Or even Conservatism? Kim Davis refused to issue marriage licenses purely for her own reasons, and went off the deep end after being jailed for it.

Seriously dude? I'll spell it out clearly:
A) When Kim Davis used her private business to spread her conservative social views, she was cheered on by the Republican constituency for her freedom of speech regardless of her message
B) Now that most of the media are using their private businesses to spread their liberal social views, those same Republicans are saying the businesses are spreading poisonous messages and should be censored in any way possible

If you don't see the hypocrisy here, it means the traitorous spirit of Barry Goldwater has thoroughly blinded you

dadudemon
It seems regardless of the goalpost, the goal itself is paying teachers and the education system more to teach the children of future how to build a better society, and showing proper recognition to the hardworking people who take time to perform what is arguably one of if not the peak of society's most important jobs.

Do you agree with that?

Yes. 100%.

Give us UHC, end our foreign wars and military occupations, end the drug war, end the for-profit prison system, refocus incarceration to be about rehabilitation, overhaul the tax code to something like the fair tax, get rid of The Fed, decriminalize all drugs, cut our military spending in half, and pay teachers a shitload more.

Surtur
Seriously dude? I'll spell it out clearly:
A) When Kim Davis used her private business to spread her conservative social views, she was cheered on by the Republican constituency for her freedom of speech regardless of her message
B) Now that most of the media are using their private businesses to spread their liberal social views, those same Republicans are saying the businesses are spreading poisonous messages and should be censored in any way possible

If you don't see the hypocrisy here, it means the traitorous spirit of Barry Goldwater has thoroughly blinded you

Does the NBAs hypocrisy also bother you?

Lestov16
Does the NBAs hypocrisy also bother you?

Not really. I don't agree with their shit, and I generally don't watch sports, but they have a ****ton of customers who do and they're still making a profit, even with losses, which is what all businesses are supposed to do.

Let me get this straight, you're mad at the NBA for having good business practices and appealing to their customer base, just because they lost a few butthurt customers? Are you being a Serious Surt right now?

Surtur
Not really. I don't agree with their shit, and I generally don't watch sports, but they have a ****ton of customers who do and they're still making a profit, even with losses, which is what all businesses are supposed to do.

Let me get this straight, you're mad at the NBA for having good business practices and appealing to their customer base, just because they lost a few butthurt customers? Are you being a Serious Surt right now?

I never said I was mad, and they aren't practicing good business practices.

Do better with your next response please thumb up

dadudemon
I never said I was mad, and they aren't practicing good business practices.

Do better with your next response please thumb up

In the NBA's and all the corporations' defense, those that participated in virtue signaling and pretending that black lives mattered to their business, they thought it would help win them more business by being "woke."

We've known for years, now, that this woke bullshit never works. It's due to disconnected HR and PR personnel in these corporations being hired into these companies, bringing in their woke college-indoctrination, and thinking the real world works like they learned in progressive college campuses.

Wondering when business execs will look the HR and PR people dead in the eyes and say, "Get this woke bullshit out of my face. It never makes a company money to do this. Stop wasting our marketing dollars. Read any research into the market about how effective this is. You should have been taught this in college. It is the basics of business.

If you bring something like this to me again, you'll be looking for a job at another organization."

Instead, these execs, in their narcissism, think it's a great idea to virtue signal to show the world how great they are.

Stupid social media. That's what is really to blame.

cdtm
In the NBA's and all the corporations' defense, those that participated in virtue signaling and pretending that black lives mattered to their business, they thought it would help win them more business by being "woke."

We've known for years, now, that this woke bullshit never works. It's due to disconnected HR and PR personnel in these corporations being hired into these companies, bringing in their woke college-indoctrination, and thinking the real world works like they learned in progressive college campuses.

Wondering when business execs will look the HR and PR people dead in the eyes and say, "Get this woke bullshit out of my face. It never makes a company money to do this. Stop wasting our marketing dollars. Read any research into the market about how effective this is. You should have been taught this in college. It is the basics of business.

If you bring something like this to me again, you'll be looking for a job at another organization."

Instead, these execs, in their narcissism, think it's a great idea to virtue signal to show the world how great they are.

The way I've heard it, most high level execs have aspirations of being President of the US someday.

So going against Woke is career suicide to the aspiring politician.

Adam_PoE

That is not entirely true. The national sports leagues are non-profits, so they pay no taxes. They are also exempt from antitrust laws, so their broadcast deals are effectively a license to print unlimited amounts of money. And taxpayers fund the arenas and stadiums. If the taxpayers stopped propping up national sports leagues, and they actually started paying their fair share, we could actually pay public school teachers what they deserve.

Surtur

Oh yeah I never was under the impression they actually care about these issues, they just hoped it would make them even more money than they already do.

The funny thing is the "woke" crowd will praise the virtue signaling, but it won't magically turn them into fans of sports. So they'll praise it, blog about it, but not actually watch the games or buy the merchandise.

Mindship
I think there should be "quiet" times, free from such messaging. They don't have to be fixed, the degree of "insertion" can be flexible. But generally, maximum is seldom optimum, and too much messaging, especially in emotionally incendiary times, can be counterproductive. You don't just want to be heard; you want your message to be thoughtfully considered. And I think that's harder to achieve when there's no escape from it, this having the additional effect of minimizing what we do have in common (eg, love of the game).

Think of it as recovery between workouts. It's during rest and recovery that the muscle actually grows.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
That is not entirely true. The national sports leagues are non-profits, so they pay no taxes. They are also exempt from antitrust laws, so their broadcast deals are effectively a license to print unlimited amounts of money. And taxpayers fund the arenas and stadiums. If the taxpayers stopped propping up national sports leagues, and they actually started paying their fair share, we could actually pay public school teachers what they deserve.

You should be more honest with how you throw around facts like those. Someone might read your post and take away a false idea about what you were really trying to say.

The individual teams are not non-profits.

The leagues themselves, are. Such as the NHL and the NFL. But not the teams such as the Philadelphia Fliers or the Chicago Bears.

https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2014/09/03/should-pro-sport-leagues-get-tax-breaks/the-nonprofit-status-of-sports-leagues-is-irrelevant

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.